Chart Motown

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Certainly a great underated track thumbsup.gif , brings back great memories and you are perhaps right we don't appreciate some of the more early commercial Motown enough, too much "rare value" snobbery involved these days. Have to disagree with you on the supremes tracks ughhhhhhhhhh just can't seem to get my head round them, in the same way I have never been an Aretha fan just makes my skin crawl, never could even way back then.

QoFxx

I really only liked early Supremes stuff Chrissie with Back In My Arms Again one of my all time faves but Aretha :shades::thumbsup: skin crawl??? I would walk over hot coals to see her perform yes.gif:lol:

Lenny

Social source share

I really only liked early Supremes stuff Chrissie with Back In My Arms Again one of my all time faves but Aretha ohmy.gif:shades: skin crawl??? I would walk over hot coals to see her perform :lol::yes:

Lenny

Life would be sooooooooo boring if we all like the same music, I must admit some of the very early supremes I don't mind before it became the "Diana Ross" show but Aretha just can't get at all. But lets not get off topic (I know I started it whistling.gif ) yes I agree there is so much underated early motown that should get played out every now and again..........errrrrrrr but not too often. e.g. Sunday night at cleethorpes "AIn't no Mountain High Enough played to a packed dance floor. It's probably what got us all hooked in the first place in the early 70s :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

Life would be sooooooooo boring if we all like the same music, I must admit some of the very early supremes I don't mind before it became the "Diana Ross" show but Aretha just can't get at all. But lets not get off topic (I know I started it whistling.gif ) yes I agree there is so much underated early motown that should get played out every now and again..........errrrrrrr but not too often. e.g. Sunday night at cleethorpes "AIn't no Mountain High Enough played to a packed dance floor. It's probably what got us all hooked in the first place in the early 70s :yes:

QoFxx

"uptight",stevie wonder,"take some time out for love",isleys,"ask the lonely",four tops,"you got the love i love",marv johnson...nice tunes im playing them all the time... :thumbsup::shades:whistling.gif:lol:

Social source share

Not necessarily chart Motown but well-known Motown or "Club" soul always has a place. I love it when a DJ just throws in a well-known tune from nowhere: Terry Davies used to do it a lot.

A good Northern tune is a good Northern tune-it's what's in the groove that counts. I think someone else said that once!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Not necessarily chart Motown but well-known Motown or "Club" soul always has a place. I love it when a DJ just throws in a well-known tune from nowhere: Terry Davies used to do it a lot...

Terry Davis played some good stuff. It was at the Avalon Wine Bar in London, he "dropped" the Younghearts into a predominantly Seventies and contemporary set. I loved it!

(Greetings to 'Mole' and everyone there who made me so welcome - assuming they're still active on the London scene)

Social source share

alot of them sound fantastic i always spin out of the question the isley brothers what a track that is[bass line just explodes]really love love is like a itching in my heart also,sounds bloody great turned up loud.

baz a.

"It's Out Of The Question" is great, and I have never ever heard it out anywhere as far as I recall. Strangely there is no US 45 of this I think. I couldn't find it in any discography anyway. There are other classic Motown tunes that strangely were never released on 45 in the US at the time. They did come out on 45 in the UK and some European countries though, and probably elsewhere too. How about "Little Miss Sweetness" by the Isley Brothers? Was it ever played in any clubs? I presume it must have been played somewhere in the past. As far as I recall I have never heard it out anywhere, nor seen it on playlists. I think this would sound great over a big sound system. Another one where there is no US 45. Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if these two tracks came out on 45 in Canada?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER!!!!!!

Who was that by? (joke)

'Love is like an itching in my heart'-yes, yes, a brilliant track, but then it should be, since the Funk brothers were Playing.... :thumbsup:

Playing chart sounds; 'Ain't No Mountain H...' has been played at the 100 Club; The main issue is that there is so much rarer, and lesser known material, which is what is expected at 'Scene' nights. However, being too prescriptive is what eventually destroys people's enjoyment, of the scene, and with it, the scene, itself... :D

Social source share

"It's Out Of The Question" is great, and I have never ever heard it out anywhere as far as I recall. Strangely there is no US 45 of this I think. I couldn't find it in any discography anyway. There are other classic Motown tunes that strangely were never released on 45 in the US at the time. They did come out on 45 in the UK and some European countries though, and probably elsewhere too. How about "Little Miss Sweetness" by the Isley Brothers? Was it ever played in any clubs? I presume it must have been played somewhere in the past. As far as I recall I have never heard it out anywhere, nor seen it on playlists. I think this would sound great over a big sound system. Another one where there is no US 45. Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if these two tracks came out on 45 in Canada?

NO US RELEASE I PLAY THE BRITISH RELEASE AND HAVE SPUN IT AT BOTH PIERCEBRIDGE AND LAST YEARS LOWTON ANIVERSARY[DONT DJ MUCH ,CANT BE ARSED LOL]OUT OF THE QUESTION SOUNDS BLOODY AWESOME LOUD,LOVE LITTLE MISS SWEEETNESS ALSO. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Can I please remind members about site policy on signatures - we ask that they are no bigger than an avatar, no large fonts, no large images, no stand out colours.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Probably not exactly what you meant by chart hit, but it was in the lower reaches I think. I never liked In and Out by Willie Hutch whatsoever, BUT flip the 45 over and you'll find the track "The Girl Can't Help It" which is an excellent midtempo cut which does NOT appear on any LP. Report back to me when you've checked it out as most of you will probably have it and many will have missed it. My thanks to Gary Lee for tipping this one off to me many years ago. Beware, its not on the flip of the 12", Brothers Gonna Work It Out was flipped on that. Sorry there's nothing contraversial in my latest posting !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Aretha :thumbsup::wicked: skin crawl??? I would walk over hot coals to see her perform :Dtongue.gif

I probably wouldn't open the door to listen if she was playing a gig on the green that's across the street from where I live. Most overated soul singer of all time IMO. Could just about think of enough good tracks by her to fill a whole CD if I was really pushed to do so. Both her sisters could sing rings around her, too...

Social source share

I probably wouldn't open the door to listen if she was playing a gig on the green that's across the street from where I live. Most overated soul singer of all time IMO. Could just about think of enough good tracks by her to fill a whole CD if I was really pushed to do so. Both her sisters could sing rings around her, too...

:good:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Thank you so much. I and many others agree with you. She is not bad, in fact she is really good at times, but she is overrated. It is like being a 60's pop fan and always having the Beatles shoved down your throat when there is so much stuff out there that is often so much better.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Guest sunny

nowt wrong in playing a selection of across the board records,unless the night is a dedicated soul night.i played jimmy ruffin/for ever my love ...as an opening track

to one of my sets at the middlewich legion,and what a floor filler.

keep an open mind soulies is what i say.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

(Loneliness Made Me Believe) It's You That I Need - the temptations - gordy

Unfortunatly, can't get 'Benny Hill' out of my head whenever i hear this one. Think i posted about it before, but it's said that this was the track that Benny based 'Ernie' on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just to bring a bit of balance to the proceedings, to all the Aretha non-believers (which is perfectly fine by me by the way, to each his own, as they say in a democratic society!) my own very humble view is that Aretha was/is so far ahead of the rest of all other female soul singers that she is on another planet !!!!

The only femme soul singer that could live with Aretha was/is Gladys Knight.

In fact I would go as far to say that Aretha was not only the best soul singer male OR female , but probably the greatest black music talent in the history of American recorded music !!! And that includes Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson etc etc the usual suspects.

Anyway, I'll get my coat ......

Social source share

Aretha had brilliant material to work with and sang it wonderfully. I loved Gladys with the pips but never really got her solo stuff. For me, I get more pleasure from the lesser known female vocalists who may have had only one or two tunes like Mamie Galore or Joy Lovejoy.

On the Motown front it has to be Barbara McNair and Chris Clarke. I remember the first time I heard You're Gonna Love My Baby. I'd swapped with a mate to get the Motown Memories Volume 2 just for Ghost in my House in 1971. I heard Baby and couldn't believe it and I've loved it ever since. :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert