Nate Evans On Twinight Alternate Press (with Syl Johnson Vocals)

boba

I recently found a copy of Nate Evans "Main Squeeze" on Twinight. It looks like all other copies I've seen (it has the colorful label, it also says "DJ Copy" on the label). However, on Main Squeeze, the vocal sounds like a totally different take. I listened a few more times and realized it was a DIFFERENT SINGER and that it sounds like SYL JOHNSON singing the vocals. I called up my friend who has the 45 with Nate singing on it and compared the dead wax. The numbers in his copy on the Main Squeeze side are: A4KM-4317-2.

The numbers on my copy of the main squeeze side are: A4KM-4317-1

Has anyone heard of this press with Syl Johnson singing Main Squeeze before? Anyone have this?

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I recently found a copy of Nate Evans "Main Squeeze" on Twinight. It looks like all other copies I've seen (it has the colorful label, it also says "DJ Copy" on the label). However, on Main Squeeze, the vocal sounds like a totally different take. I listened a few more times and realized it was a DIFFERENT SINGER and that it sounds like SYL JOHNSON singing the vocals. I called up my friend who has the 45 with Nate singing on it and compared the dead wax. The numbers in his copy on the Main Squeeze side are: A4KM-4317-2.

Has anyone heard of this press with Syl Johnson singing Main Squeeze before? Anyone have this?

Pretty sure I've got Syl Johnson singing Main Squeeze on a Hi label 45, Bob, but it's a different backing track to Nate Evans on Twinight, from memory.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Pretty sure I've got Syl Johnson singing Main Squeeze on a Hi label 45, Bob, but it's a different backing track to Nate Evans on Twinight, from memory.

Sean

I seem to remember my mate Tomo had a rare jap lp with an alternate take of main squeeze sung by Syl and his daughter Syleena thats a different mix I think to the single you mention Sean.I might be wrong though.

Adam

Social source share

I seem to remember my mate Tomo had a rare jap lp with an alternate take of main squeeze sung by Syl and his daughter Syleena thats a different mix I think to the single you mention Sean.I might be wrong though.

Adam

Hi Adam,

John Benson has a rare Jap LP with Syl Johnson on "All I Need Is Someone Like You" (?) with same backing as Nate Evans. Is that the one you mean?

Sean

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Hi Adam,

John Benson has a rare Jap LP with Syl Johnson on "All I Need Is Someone Like You" (?) with same backing as Nate Evans. Is that the one you mean?

Sean

Thats the one Sean knew there was some kind of connection maybe it got a few presses as a 45? would make it very collectable eh.

Adam

Social source share

Thats the one Sean knew there was some kind of connection maybe it got a few presses as a 45? would make it very collectable eh.

Adam

The version from the rare Jap Syl Johnson LP was issued on a Grapevine 45.....

Perhaps Boba, you could put up a soundfile of this version you have......when we can of course, not sure if the sounds are back up yet ??

Girf

Social source share

Was playing an old Andy Davies Solar Radio show the other day. He played Nate Evans - Mainsqueeze, and commented that when he played it out a few people reckoned it was a different mix. Syl Johnson's voice is quite distinctive and i never picked up that it could be a different singer, i reckon there is a different mix but it's still Nate singing.

Syl did record the song on Hi but it's a slower version. The Jap release uses the same backing as the Nate Evans with different lyrics, it was a duet with his then wife Brenda.

Tomo

Social source share

Just checked my copy and it's the regular A4KM-4317-2, though flipped it over to find a great deep side. thumbsup.gif

Is the flip different too on your copy? I guess there may have been mix up on the masters since Syl Johnson was involved in the production and may have recorded a take to steer Nate Evans in the right direction.

Cliff

Social source share

Just checked my copy and it's the regular A4KM-4317-2, though flipped it over to find a great deep side. :D

Is the flip different too on your copy? I guess there may have been mix up on the masters since Syl Johnson was involved in the production and may have recorded a take to steer Nate Evans in the right direction.

Cliff

The flip is the same on my copy. I think there might have been a mixup with the masters or something. This is not the 1978 hi version, the backing track and backing girls are exactly the same as nate evans, just the vocals are just different.

Initially I thought it was just Nate Evans singing a different take (it is "weaker" and less forceful sounding). On repeated listens I think it is Syl, though. I will try to post a sound clip. I think the copy that someone mentioned someone playing on the radio must be the same as mine, it would be good to know how rare it is.

Edited by boba
Social source share

definitely a different singer. i prefer this hitherto-unknown version! could well be syl. great find, bob.

strange to find this thread, because i JUST pulled out my nate evans with the intent to sell it (see sales board).

m

I actually think Nate's version is much better for the song, he sings it more forcefully and it goes better with the uptempo sound. It's cool to have a rarer version of the record though. I wonder how rare it really is (relative to the other press, which is already rare) -- I bet there are some people who have it and just never realized it was different. The funny thing is that now I still need to get a regular Nate Evans on Twinight.

Vaguely related, anyone got any of the random non-soul rock titles on Twinight to sell?

Social source share

Guest lotusland

A certain someone in Chicago just popped up a Syl 45 on Twinight w/ him singing a different song on top of the Main Squeeze backing track. This is a different thing right?

Social source share

A certain someone in Chicago just popped up a Syl 45 on Twinight w/ him singing a different song on top of the Main Squeeze backing track. This is a different thing right?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it's probably a miscommunication of me finding this 45. He sings the same song on the main squeeze backing track. There is a p-vine lp, that people refer to in this thread, where he sings a different song on the main squeeze backing track.

Social source share

Guest lotusland

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it's probably a miscommunication of me finding this 45. He sings the same song on the main squeeze backing track. There is a p-vine lp, that people refer to in this thread, where he sings a different song on the main squeeze backing track.

i dont think so. Shaun P found one and described it to me as above. he then checked it w/ rob or someone at numero and they confirmed that they knew it existed but it didnt come up from the label owner. of course all info is from shaun, but this all happened this week i guess.

Social source share

i dont think so. Shaun P found one and described it to me as above. he then checked it w/ rob or someone at numero and they confirmed that they knew it existed but it didnt come up from the label owner. of course all info is from shaun, but this all happened this week i guess.

okay, just listened again. REALLY prefer syl's (or whoever's) voice to ol' nate's. if i had this version, i don't think i'd be selling it. to each his own, i guess.

Social source share

Hi boba

great thread and track ! i'm not familiar with the track before this thread and and never heard the nate version { anyone got a clip please } , but i do collect syl johnson's 45's and don't think its him !

i have listened to your clip plenty of times , sorry can't help with mystery lead

Social source share

Hello,

This alternative version doesn't sound at all like Syl Johnson. In fact, it sounds a lot like EARL RANDLE himself, the man who wrote the song!

Have I won a large cash prize?

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

This alternative version doesn't sound at all like Syl Johnson. In fact, it sounds a lot like EARL RANDLE himself, the man who wrote the song!

Have I won a large cash prize?

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Do you have other Earl Randle record to compare? Your explanation does make sense, as I've had songwriter demo acetates of songs that got recorded by others.

Social source share

Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Do you have other Earl Randle record to compare? Your explanation does make sense, as I've had songwriter demo acetates of songs that got recorded by others.

I just listened to some snippets of earl randle records on manship's site, it does sound like him.

Social source share

Yes I compared it with "We Need More Love" and the voice and style are similar although the tracks are almost ten years apart. It's almost very definately possibly an Earl Randle demo and it seems that Nate Evans sang it pretty much in that same style.

But as for Syl Johnson, I know him and I've heard him perform. It definately isn't him.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

Millbrand Music controls the publishing rights to a number of songs by both Earl Randle and Syl Johnson ...including "All I Need Is Someone Like You" which, as Tomo said, Syl and his ex-wife Brenda Thompson cut using the "Main Squeeze" backing track. It was issued on Grapevine a few years ago.

We don't own "Main Squeeze" but one day I'll ask Earl Randle about it. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure it's him.

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Yes I compared it with "We Need More Love" and the voice and style are similar although the tracks are almost ten years apart. It's almost very definately possibly an Earl Randle demo and it seems that Nate Evans sang it pretty much in that same style.

But as for Syl Johnson, I know him and I've heard him perform. It definately isn't him.

Paul Mooney

Yeah, I know Syl too, I sent him "do you know what love is" on CD, as he didn't have a recording of it. He said he used to have a box of the records and just threw them away. I do think the voice on the record is similar to his, though. Thanks for the tip about this record being Earl, though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert