Jackie Shane-in My Tenement-sue-boot ?

Guest markus gora

Guest markus gora

jackie shane-in my tenement/comin' down-sue...just purchased a bunch of copys of this,never saw this before...looks to me like a boot / number scratched in deadwax: 1092 / has anyone seen such copys before ? / when were they made / any infos welcome...

post-6616-1195383961_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

jackie shane-in my tenement/comin' down-sue...just purchased a bunch of copys of this,never saw this before...looks to me like a boot / number scratched in deadwax: 1092 / has anyone seen such copys before ? / when were they made / any infos welcome...

Mine has 1091 scratched in on the IMT side & 1092 on the 'Comin' Down' side but it's stamped in, not scratched. It has a 'Bell Sound' stamp on both side's run out. Also the black and white stripes go right down to the edge of the label , there's no white edging and "MFG BY SUE RECORDS, INC. N.Y." under A 'Juggy' Production'

Social source share

Blimey bet that went down well in 1963..

just found this site by accident may i add :wicked:

https://www.queermusicheritage.us/drag-shane.html

see he has a CD out as well any one got it whats the other stuff he done like?

Hello Paul. "Any Other Way" is pretty good. I have it on Cookin' label, think it was his biggest hit. "Comin Down" has always been one of my favourites.

Jackie lived in Canada and although transvestite was not necessarily gay. Lived life to the full and dissapeared under suspicious circumstances, never to be seen again.........

See you next Saturday?

John.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Any Other Way" is pretty good.

...as understatements go, that's comparable to saying that Hitler was 'pretty awful'

AOW is an absolute classic, and absolutely the best record that JS ever made! (That's not to decry the quality of any of the others, mind you). Should be a cornerstone item of any and every 'early soul' collection IMO...

William Bell's original is extremely fab, too.

Social source share

Guest markus gora

thanks to simon for a detailed answer....so c'mon boys...i know the original copy...but i never saw this with a white edge lining;by the way...deadwax says 1091 on a-side / 1092 on b-side...so put brains together & help a poor fool...with that record...with love from hamburg

Edited by markus gora
Social source share

hi, markus. i agree that the label definitely looks fake. typefaces aren't quite right, either.

jackie shane wasn't alone in his dressing habits on the soul scene. bobby marchan was a female impersonator....i won't even bring up esquerita (s.q. reeder, eskew reeder) or little richard....and didn't arthur conley actually live out his days as a woman after leaving the u.s., or have i been misled?

Social source share

The clip in question is from a show called "Night Train".

...which is from where I took that and the Ray Pollard, Sandra King, Jimmy Church, Buddy & Stacey, Eddie Hill, Joe Matthews, Spidells, Freddie North etc etc.

If anyone wants to buy these, I've got 3 full shows, details on request.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Ron Pedley and myself walked into a bar in Calpe on the Costa Blanca,about 7 yrs ago,the bar was called Snobs and said 60,s bar. There were about 100 singles stuck to the low ceiling( nearly all 60,s U.K.Motown(commercial) and pop, but we spotted a u.s Sue issue of Jackie Shane" Coming Down" as the Owner spotted us looking he said-"Name the -b-side and you can have it lads". we both shouted "in my tenement" and brought it back 2 weeks later---

btw--Rani,s face was a picture when Ron and i walked into the supermarket(Mercadonna) where we,d arranged to meet up ,clutching an import single!!!! after been in Spain for all of 3 hrs.!!

just thought i,d mention that!1

Tony Coleby

The clip in question is from a show called "Night Train".

In my opinion the copies you have just purchased are boots.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert