Tolbert - I Got It

Pete S

I listend to some tunes today and it struck me that Garfield Fleming "Don't Send me Away" is very similar in many ways to "I Got It" only, dare I say it, a better and more soulful tune IMO. wink.gif:D I think they should have gone for a more serious and moodier approach with Tolbert instead of that 'happy happy' easy sound that the girlie vocals and "The Hustle" bits create. It's good, but doesn't really grab me and it could have been much better if they had followed my advice. Gotta build myself a time machine it seems. :)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 91
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Be careful there Dodger....or I'll have you reported to the soul Police  :D

link

Too late it's been done :)wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

Be careful there Dodger....or I'll have you reported to the soul Police  :D

link

I've actually been put under house arrest and tagged by the Soul Police so I'm not allowed out of the house this weekend to go anywhere near the Orwell and take the piss when it's not as full as they reckon!!! :)wicked.gif:D Only on the soul scene is telling the truth a crime!! laugh.gif:Dlaugh.gif

Social source share

I've actually been put under house arrest and tagged by the Soul Police so I'm not allowed out of the house this weekend to go anywhere near the Orwell and take the piss when it's not as full as they reckon!!!  :)   wicked.gif   :D   Only on the soul scene is telling the truth a crime!!  :D   laugh.gif   :D

link

I am quite happy to head count for you Roger, if it's THAT important to you laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

I am quite happy to head count for you Roger, if it's THAT important to you  wicked.gif

link

No need mate, you'd lie, you're on their Flatcap Register. :D Bet you can't WAIT to hear Grandaddy Barndoor's Eric Sykes c/u/p/o/f/t/e/a :)

Social source share

No need mate, you'd lie, you're on their Flatcap Register.  wicked.gif   Bet you can't WAIT to hear Grandaddy Barndoor's Eric Sykes c/u/p/o/f/t/e/a  :)

link

Mick Smith, Dave Welding, Butch, Steve G etc have been playing it for a long time Rog, it's old hat now :D .....and l won't tell porkies, promise :D ( although I can't claim not to see double when I've had a few )

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Couldn't agree more Pete i bow my head in your general direction and salute your impeccable taste  :)   wicked.gif   :D

Yeah right  :D

link

yeah, i agree with johnny pete, i used to quite like modern soul until i read some of your well reasoned critical analyses and realised - thanks to your superior wisdom - that it's all sh*te

....except garage house of course, do you agree?

Social source share

I've actually been put under house arrest and tagged by the Soul Police so I'm not allowed out of the house this weekend to go anywhere near the Orwell and take the piss when it's not as full as they reckon!!!  :P   :lol:   :lol:   Only on the soul scene is telling the truth a crime!!  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

link

No joking mate, I have had three calls from Her Majesty's finest Soul Police this afternoon making "enquiries". I gather that the matter has now "fast tracked" up the chain of command to Deputy Commissioner Barnfather no less, who in turn has demanded written statements be on his desk by 09.00 Tuesday, in time for his next submission to "Manifesto". Can't say I didn't warn you there. :P:D:Dranting_1.gif

Social source share

Mick Smith, Dave Welding, Butch, Steve G etc have been playing it for a long time Rog, it's old hat now  :lol: .....and l won't tell porkies, promise  :P ( although I can't claim not to see double when I've had a few )

link

Quite true Alison, not to mention Mick H. Eric Sykes c/up is very old now, and is barely making it into the large "400 singles" box at the moment, let alone anything else. Enjoy the Orwell, and if asked, you ain't seen Dodger ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Quite true Alison, not to mention Mick H. Eric Sykes c/up is very old now, and is barely making it into the large "400 singles" box at the moment, let alone anything else. Enjoy the Orwell, and if asked, you ain't seen Dodger  :D

link

Why not un-cover it then... :thumbsup:

Social source share

yeah, i agree with johnny pete, i used to quite like modern soul until i read some of your well reasoned critical analyses and realised - thanks to your superior wisdom - that it's all sh*te

....except garage house of course, do you agree?

link

Hey Mr Comedy, I don't try to come up with any critical analysis, all modern soul is shite and I don't need to say anymore. It's all useless. I can't even classify it as music.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Hey Mr Comedy, I don't try to come up with any critical analysis, all modern soul is shite and I don't need to say anymore.  It's all useless.  I can't even classify it as music.

link

So is it fair to say the Vanguards is your least hated modern track? As discussed in that other thread a week or so back, thinking it was late sixties promted a "yeah it's allright" response. We then found out it was early seventies. :sleep3::)

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

So is it fair to say the Vanguards is your least hated modern track?  As discussed in that other thread a week or so back, thinking it was late sixties promted a "yeah it's alright" response.  We then found out it was early seventies.  :sleep3:   :)

link

Makes no difference, it's just a very average record. Hey I like Cleethorpes type 70's oldies, the ones that were uptempo dancers, I just don't like modern.

Social source share

Makes no difference, it's just a very average record.  Hey I like Cleethorpes type  70's oldies, the ones that were uptempo dancers, I just don't like modern.

link

Do you think there is a clear distinction between 70's and modern?

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Do you think there is a clear distinction between 70's and modern?

link

God yes. OK just to stop you keep asking me about this, some 70's tunes I liked/like

east coast connection

willie j & co

anderson brothers

diane jenkins

stanley woodruff

mel britt

creative source

skullsnaps

life

the nights

ikettes (2 timin double dealin)

liberty

eloise laws

towanada & total destruction

bobby hutton

will collins

johnny williams

that sort of thing - 4/4 beat, danceable...

Social source share

God yes.  OK just to stop you keep asking me about this, some 70's tunes I liked/like

east coast connection

willie j & co

anderson brothers

diane jenkins

stanley woodruff

mel britt

creative source

skullsnaps

life

the nights

ikettes (2 timin double dealin)

liberty

eloise laws

towanada & total destruction

bobby hutton

will collins

johnny williams

that sort of thing - 4/4 beat, danceable...

link

There is plenty of good 70's that would fit your bill, maybe you have just been unlucky and got to hear loads of depressing undanceable junk and therefore rejects it all as crap? Many 'old modern' sounds were played at Wigan and other northern venues in the late 70's and early 80's (at least that is what I have been told by older and wiser people), and to my ears they are basically northern, at least as far as the beat is concerned.

Social source share

wow Pete big of you to admit it :(:sleep3:

How old's Mel britt (the record)? I know it's 70s, but just how 70s? :(

link

Not sure, but I think Mel Britt is from 1971, which makes it 34 years old, practically a new release.

Social source share

Not sure, but I think Mel Britt is from 1971, which makes it 34 years old, practically a new release.

link

I thought it was more late 60's judging my the matrix number :(

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong on this tricky thread once before.

So Pete S would presumably also like things like the Aristocrats, in fact the uptempo "Mecca" type sound, when the Mecca was "cutting edge". Good, I thought for one moment that anything post 1969 was "condemned", I am glad it isn't. :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest taffy

Becasue us people who know what it is have time to try and find some more copies to sell to people with more money than sense!

link

I KNOW WHAT IT IS,AIN'T GOT MORE MONEY THAN SENSE BUT STILL CAN'T FIND ONE :sleep3:

Social source share

I thought it was more late 60's judging my the matrix number  :(

But I could be wrong - I have been wrong on this tricky thread once before.

So Pete S would presumably also like things like the Aristocrats, in fact the uptempo "Mecca" type sound, when the Mecca was "cutting edge". Good, I thought for one moment that anything post 1969 was "condemned", I am glad it isn't.  :sleep3:

link

I changed my mind, and tend to agree, don't know where I got that 1971 one thing from, I am sure I read it somewhere at some point, but very late 60's is probably correct.

Social source share

I changed my mind, and tend to agree, don't know where I got that 1971 one thing from, I am sure I read it somewhere at some point, but very late 60's is probably correct.

link

Can we settrle on 68-69? :sleep3:

That way it stays within the definition of a "soul" record, which it most certainly is. :(

Social source share

God yes.  OK just to stop you keep asking me about this, some 70's tunes I liked/like

Indeed, have antagonised you enough Mr Smith. :( Just low grade banter, nothing more. :( With a 'the only good modern record is etc..' signature is a bit of a statement on here and well you know as I do those seventies sounds that sound a bit sixties and so on. I wonder truly though how grey the area is between seventies northern soul and modern northern soul?

Soul Joe Clements - Ever Ever (PLEXIUM) 1969. Now that's a lick just before the seventies but by golly there's no mistaking that for that modern rubbish. Big void between the best dancers, 6t's up tempo beat and seventies/modern shuffling nonsense. :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Pete if only i had listened to you earlier i would have saved myself the effort and expense of going up to an Orwell yesterday, thereby missing one of this years best events by far, i really should listen to your opinion more often and the do the exact opposite :( You tasteless git :sleep3: even the boy Jordi did all right :(

Social source share

Indeed, have antagonised you enough Mr Smith. :(   Just low grade banter, nothing more. :(   With a 'the only good modern record is etc..' signature is a bit of a statement on here and well you know as I do those seventies sounds that sound a bit sixties and so on.  I wonder truly though how grey the area is between seventies northern soul and modern northern soul?

Soul Joe Clements - Ever Ever (PLEXIUM) 1969.  Now that's a lick just before the seventies but by golly there's no mistaking that for that modern rubbish. Big void between the best dancers, 6t's up tempo beat and seventies/modern shuffling nonsense.  :sleep3:

link

Yeah but Soul Joe Clements is utter rubbish!!!

Social source share

Pete if only i had listened to you earlier i would have saved myself the effort and expense of going up to an Orwell yesterday, thereby missing one of this years best events by far, i really should listen to your opinion more often and the do the exact opposite :( You tasteless git :( even the boy Jordi did all right :(

link

Get off my f*cking thread :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Get off my f*cking thread  yes.gif

link

I don't know about that but you are already off your fu**ing head :( twot :D:( anyway how can it be your thread when it's about a good record :(

Love you really in that special way that i normally only reserve for particularly alluring small farmyard animals :sleep3:wink.gif

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Hey Mr Comedy, I don't try to come up with any critical analysis, all modern soul is shite and I don't need to say anymore.  It's all useless.  I can't even classify it as music.

link

hey mr grumpy, don't be so precious :lol:

actually.....i really like your list blush.gif

no offence, only joking ph34r.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert