Guest Malc Burton

• Replies 115
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

mellow.gif Are you big in Albania like Norman Wisdom you're both following him.

Believe it or not, I stumbled across some Albanian chap running a bar in Pristina playing soul music - first tune to hit me between the ears as I entered the place was Al Wilson's 'Now I know what love his. Called Bar Soul and his hero seemed to be Mr Croasdell. He was quite proud of the fact that he'd visited the 100 Club several times. Always played a decent mix of tunes 60s through 70s, many of which were of the down-tempo variety. The place is not quite ripe for stag-doos just yet though :D

Social source share

Then I think Nev Wherry bought it off me after I finished DJing 2 years later.

It was actually our fat lad who bought it off you - along with Danny Moore on Correctone. I know these things because I had to lend him the money - and the tight chuff still owes it me!

:D:D

Another beater that still does it for me is wor Jackie's ' To make a big man cry'. thumbup.gif

Edited by Rich
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

ooohhh...look at the binary code and variable bit rate on this little beauty.....mmmm no not quite the same!

That's pure genius.....if only I knew what to do with an MP3 laugh.gif The B side of Carl Hall 'My baby's so good' - 'What's come over you'...Randy Cozens recommended this to me - can't dance to it but what a slab of heartache and misery :D Jo

Social source share

DEE DEE WARWICK "WHEN LOVE SLIPS AWAY" MERCURY

IT´S A FLOATER BEAT BALLAD... LISTEN IN:

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Dee_Dee_War..._Slips_Away.ram

Whilst listening to a CD of beat ballads , the thought came to me that two of the first such " genre " records , were Gene McDaniels' " Walk With A Winner " , and Ray Pollard's " The Drifter " , which have been around since adam was a lad .......

What I would like to know is , what was the first accepted and recognised " beat ballad " of the " New Era " of / for NS .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Botox!!!??? Cheeky bugger! There's nowt up with my memory!

Bernie Williams

I just spoke to Colin after you'd almost convinced me that my brain was completely addled and he confirmed that he was playing Bernie Williams in '74/'75 and that it was considered to be a one-off at the time. His copy came from John Anderson. It was a 'Mecca last-hour' favourite which is how I heard it in the first place.

He eventually sold his copy to Jack Bollington in Derby. Jack bought it off Colin and I ended up involved in a virtual phone-auction with Jack where the price jumped from £40 to circa £150 in the space of a few hours - my last offer on it was something like £100 and a World Column and Rosey Jones I seem to remember. I could swear that you got that copy but if you didn't then someone else did but who? It was a rare record at the time.......

Colin also confirmed that Levine DID have 'Paris Blues' at the Mecca but 'til I speak to the large one I'll hold fire.......

Incidentally, no one's 'dictating' anything here Johnny. My memory's actually bang-on most of the time and I spent a large part of my 'two decade disappearance' (almost three really) keeping tabs on the scene, visiting all-nighters every now and then and constantly flogging records to many people if I've had some decent finds whenever I went to the States.

If I'm wrong on the Tony Middleton then fair enough - credit where credit's due and you're welcome to the kudos mate. However, I do know that I heard it @ The Mecca, I know that Levine had it (Colin just confirmed it) and I know that I knew about it before I went to the States in mid 1976 because it was on my hitlist back then.

Will check with the rotund one and come back and I'll be quite prepared to eat humble pie in the unlkely event that my mind has been playing tricks LOL....... biggrin.gif

Best,

Ian D

just been contacted by jack bollington who asked me to give his version of events, he got bernie williams and another record from colin curtis as a swap for the natural 4 the devil made me do it which was a hard to get newish release at the time, according to jack he then eventually sold bernie williams to mr manship, a few weeks later he natural four was available every where, hope that makes it clearer, or not :)

Social source share

just been contacted by jack bollington who asked me to give his version of events, he got bernie williams and another record from colin curtis as a swap for the natural 4 the devil made me do it which was a hard to get newish release at the time, according to jack he then eventually sold bernie williams to mr manship, a few weeks later he natural four was available every where, hope that makes it clearer, or not :)

I think that is possibly right, me and Jack did a lot of deals, back in the day. That means Colin got the same record back again for Andre Gagnon's - Wow !

Didn't we do some "smart" trading of records in those days.

Social source share

It was actually our fat lad who bought it off you - along with Danny Moore on Correctone. I know these things because I had to lend him the money - and the tight chuff still owes it me!

sad.gif:shades:

Another beater that still does it for me is wor Jackie's ' To make a big man cry'. :)

Rich,

"along with Danny Moore on Correctone" ??

Now we're all losing it, best we stop reminiscing.. my brain hurts

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Stafford Stuff

Donald Jenkins Somebody Help Me CORTLAND

Romance Watson Where Does That Leave Me CORAL

Sam Fletcher I'd Think It Over TOLLIE

Bobby Hutton Come See What's Left Of Me PHILIPS

Bobby Smith Walk On Into My Heart AMERICAN ARTS

Four Tracks Like My Love For You MANDINGO

Stewart Ames King For A Day J & W

Gail Anderson Be Proud ( You're In Love ) SALVADOR

Little Anthony Its Not The Same VEEP

Scotty Williams Fear MONA LEE

Shirley Edwards Dream My Heart SHRINE

Wade Flemons That Other Place VEE-JAY

Clyde Mcphatter Lonely People AMY

Love every single one of those

Plus a few more??

Johnny Gilliam - Baby Take Me Back

Martells - Where Can My Baby Be

Inverts - Time Will Change

and the rarely played since(As far as I can tell)

Gene Stridel - Tomorrow Is Another Day

Beautiful

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert