About Pete Smith - He Just Ripped Me Off Big Time

Last week I bought a record from Pete Smith, cost me 400 sterling pounds. He announced the record as:

Condition is VG+, both sides play great, bit of crackle at the start

of both sides, does not sound like a frying pan full of bacon cooking

though! Very powerful sound wise. Initials on A side. MP3 available.

£400

I asked him for a soundfile and he sent it to me. It seemed all was okay.

When I got the record it was an awful surprise.

It is not just a bit of crackle at the start of both sides, in fact it lasts all the way through!! A strong surface noise that really affects playing and yes, it does sound like a whole barbecue in fact!!

I contacted him, asked him to get a refund and send him the record back and all I got was a really rude response from the beginning, he was having none of it, I think to be honest that he cannot believe he sold such a crap copy for so much money and would not have it back. Besides, he was so rude! He told me I wanted it to resell it for more money, a lot of nasty things ...that is not the point, even if I wanted it for reselling (which I do not) it is not on to rip somebody off like that!!

Not only the description is nowhere near reality, but the soundfile he sent me must have been recorded with a very very heavy needle on the turntable, a lot of weight improves condition, we all know that but it is not nice to lie to customers like that, definitely not!

In my humble opinion, he is not acting as he should and he is not behaving like a professional dealer or even a good person!! The first email he sent me when I told him I was not satisfied was very significant, saying that if I wanted my money back I would have to sue!!! He knows he has been dodgy.

What a shame, I never thought such thing could happen.

Regards,

Paloma

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So I've been rude have I?

Here are the actual emails I've sent you, for everyone to see

Pal I gave you a full length mp3 of the entire track and you had every opportunity to listen to it, which you did, and then you told me to send the record. That's what happened. If you weren't happy with the sound quality then why did you buy it after hearing it?

I am not going to refund the money, I'm sorry. We had a deal. I fulfilled my part and just because you don't like some surface marks you now want to mess me about.

You'll have to sue me for the money, sorry.

Pete

Are you honestly trying to say that I somehow managed to record the record and then change the sound? Are you crazy? Why would I want to do that? The object is to let the person listen to the record in it's exact state and then make a decision which you did. Has the record deteriorated in sound quality while on the plane from the Uk to Spain? No it hasn't, you heard

This is just ridiculous Paloma. I stand by my gradings, the record was exactly as described, you even heard the record before you paid for it. This is just too suspicious in my opinion and I think you are only saying this because you don't think you can make a profit on it when you sell it. If I have not graded this correctly then it means that I have not graded the other 10,000 or so records I've sold in the last 10 years correctly, but amazingly I can't remember any complaints. Anyone who had really wanted the record would have been happy with that price and in no way would have complained, not considering whyat it's really worth.

OK for the last time.

This record crops up once maybe twice a year.

Anyone buying it knows how much it's worth, and it's a lot more than 400 quid.

If someone really wanted it they would be perfectly happy with this record which is in exactly the condition it was described as.

I have not 'fraud' anyone, if anyone's trying a fraud it's you.

I never said nobody would hear you. You can say what you like about me, I know that I am in the right and have done nothing wrong.

And why don't you sell it anyway?

If you didn't keep making these silly threats then maybe we could have sorted this out but if that's your attitude then I'm not going to correspond with you anymore.

OK NOW WHERE HAVE I BEEN RUDE?

Social source share

Well Pete, honestly... if answering to the first email of complaint "you will have to sue me" is not rude, I don't know what you consider beeing rude...

I insist, the soundfile sounds nothing like the record, it was either another copy or the needle had a ton weight put in it.

Social source share

Last week I bought a record from Pete Smith, cost me 400 sterling pounds. He announced the record as:

£400

It is not just a bit of crackle at the start of both sides, in fact it lasts all the way through!! A strong surface noise that really affects playing and yes, it does sound like a whole barbecue in fact!!

I contacted him, asked him to get a refund and send him the record back and all I got was a really rude response from the beginning, he was having none of it, I think to be honest that he cannot believe he sold such a crap copy for so much money and would not have it back. Besides, he was so rude! He told me I wanted it to resell it for more money, a lot of nasty things ...that is not the point, even if I wanted it for reselling (which I do not) it is not on to rip somebody off like that!!

Not only the description is nowhere near reality, but the soundfile he sent me must have been recorded with a very very heavy needle on the turntable, a lot of weight improves condition, we all know that but it is not nice to lie to customers like that, definitely not!

In my humble opinion, he is not acting as he should and he is not behaving like a professional dealer or even a good person!! The first email he sent me when I told him I was not satisfied was very significant, saying that if I wanted my money back I would have to sue!!! He knows he has been dodgy.

Regards,

Paloma

As far as i can see there`s been no rip off here. You got all the information & an MP3 & you made the choice to buy the record.

Pete`s reputation is second to none in selling records at very fair prices & his gradings are always very very fair. I dont think this thread will do you any favours.

Garv

Social source share

£400

Regards,

Paloma

im not a number 1 fan of mr peter smith, i had some stuff of him a few year ago top quality and its still top quality, so if ur going to iron ur differences do it offline.

Billy

Social source share

About time I stood up in defence for a long-time good friend.

Pete is 100% genuine, and would not rip ANYONE off. His main aim is to keep the customer happy, as he does his friends and I should know! I'm sure I'm far from alone in my sentiments.

Pete - chin up mate. Don't let some playground bully even try to beat you down. Stand your ground, and the best of luck.

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You can accuse Pete of being a lot of things - and many people have :lol: - but one thing he could not be accused of is being a rip-off merchant.

I've bought quite a few records off Pal Garcia over the last few years - always with pleasant exchanges, and happy results - and I daresay she will think twice about selling me any more, if I stand Pete's corner on this one. But I'm afraid I'm going to take that risk, and stick up for Pete. He's a decent bloke who's been selling records for long enough now to know how to grade accurately - and he does.

I'd like to be the next person to add my name to any call for this thread to be closed with immediate effect...

Social source share

From a sellers point if view:

If the soundfile came from the actual 45 (and so far I have no reason to doubt this) I can`t see where there is an attemt to rip you off Paloma. If someone buys a VG or so 45 on the net without holding and looking at the actual copy it its down to the buyers very own risk. I have done it myself (junkie that I am) and sometimes I have been lucky, sometimes not...

on the other hand (and only speaking for myslef now),

why not show your gratitude as a seller and cancell and refund the transaction. I do it everytime a buyer is not satisfied. I am currently in the process of getting a record worth a grand back because the buyer is not satisfied with its condition. I stated "ex but plays better" but its the buyers money so if he/she says its not ex who am I to start an argument ? Life`s too short and relationships are too important...just my thoughts and point of view of course :lol:

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Oh, and one thing to add especially for the future...I am not a big fan of discussing all these kinda things online. I don`t understand (especially if its been only a week like in this case) why people have to rush to hang out the dirty washing in public. Most of the time it results in nth good, both parties will only end up with hardened opinions and maybe even harsh feelings against each other...

Marc

Social source share

I think this is way out of line to try and discredit Pete here, the dispute should be kept off a public forum, I have bought one or two bit's off Pete over the years and never had any problems, condition is always spot on, reasonable prices, well packed, quick delivery etc. as it's already been stated this dispute should be conducted away from this this forum, Pete is one of the good guys and to try and soil his reputation and integrity is a disgrace. I'm sure and hope you guys can resolve this to a satifactory conclusion.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

not much dignity playing this row out in public?

mike, if there are legal procedings is it wise to have this published on ss ..... just asking

I'd like to be the next person to add my name to any call for this thread to be closed with immediate effect...

Oh, and one thing to add especially for the future...I am not a big fan of discussing all these kinda things online. I don`t understand (especially if its been only a week like in this case) why people have to rush to hang out the dirty washing in public. Most of the time it results in nth good, both parties will only end up with hardened opinions and maybe even harsh feelings against each other...

Marc

I think this is way out of line to try and discredit Pete here, the dispute should be kept off a public forum, I have bought one or two bit's off Pete over the years and never had any problems, condition is always spot on, reasonable prices, well packed, quick delivery etc. as it's already been stated this dispute should be conducted away from this this forum, Pete is one of the good guys and to try and soil his reputation and integrity is a disgrace. I'm sure and hope you guys can resolve this to a satifactory conclusion.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

both related threads temp closed

if either of both members involved wish opened please pm me

regarding concerns on such postings, best and quickest way if have such is to pass on concerns via "report feature"

Social source share