Rare Us Soul Labels

Tommy1

I know this might sound a bit crazy, and maybe it's a "mission impossible" :D . But I will try to collect scans of all rare US soul labels and organize them by states and cities. I've already started with my own collection, but I know there are lots of people on this forum with MUCH more records and knowledge than me. So all contributions with label name, state and city will be much appreciated. :D

Maybe the first thing to do is to get an overview of all the states and cities which had any soul related label?

If somebody has done this before, please let me know where to find it. I know there are lots of nice scans out there, especially Benjis site, but they are all organized by artists...

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know this might sound a bit crazy, and maybe it's a "mission impossible" :D . But I will try to collect scans of all rare US soul labels and organize them by states and cities. I've already started with my own collection, but I know there are lots of people on this forum with MUCH more records and knowledge than me. So all contributions with label name, state and city will be much appreciated. :D

Maybe the first thing to do is to get an overview of all the states and cities which had any soul related label?

If somebody has done this before, please let me know where to find it. I know there are lots of nice scans out there, especially Benjis site, but they are all organized by artists...

Hi Tommy,

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep me posted would you?

Denbo.

Social source share

Here's your starter for 264

Soulful Kinda Music Label addresses

In return, I'd be grateful if you could reciprocate with any info you gather.

Bloody hell Dave, that IS good. Never noticed that before. Has it always been on your site since you started the 264?

Denbo.

PS - I think I might be able to add to this but only when I'm at home at weekends so don't expect anything immediately.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Bloody hell Dave, that IS good. Never noticed that before. Has it always been on your site since you started the 264?

Denbo.

PS - I think I might be able to add to this but only when I'm at home at weekends so don't expect anything immediately.

Put it up on the site when I'd got about 200 listed, and have added to it on a very ad-hoc basis since, but any additions welcomed.

Social source share

I've made an excel document which make it easy to search by label, city etc. The info I want is label name, state, city, and of course as Dave has done it with owner, year and address if possible.

I'll also be needing scans, but I think this list need to be done first.

An example from Florida for now:

Andee in Opa-Locka

Cat and Kayvett in Hialeah

Dade in Miami

Deep City in Tampa

Social source share

I've made an excel document which make it easy to search by label, city etc. The info I want is label name, state, city, and of course as Dave has done it with owner, year and address if possible.

I'll also be needing scans, but I think this list need to be done first.

An example from Florida for now:

Andee in Opa-Locka

Cat and Kayvett in Hialeah

Dade in Miami

Deep City in Tampa

Might be an Idea to form a group of Interested parties,

We have been trying to complete only a mere handful of popular labels on Hitsville for a few years now.

Slowly but surely we're getting there. >>> LINK <<<

Dave Rimmer with Soulful Kinda Music has done a fantastic Job of collating Information for these Labels.

The quest that we set by comparison was small yet still ongoing.

All scans on Hitsville are credited to the supplier of the scan, either by posting or named within the post, and rightly so.

It is a long job though, but I believe worthwhile, especially once completed.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

As Roger has said, at Hitsville SC we're trying to show good quality scans of a number of complete label discoghraphies. https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/Forums/Forum25-1.aspx Eventually the discographies willl contain all the differing variants of both US and UK demo/stocker and a low quality soundclip. If anyone wants to place scans on there simply send them to info@theresthatbeat.com and I'll add them. It's a MASSIVE job that will take years and probably never be finished, but it keeps us out of bother eh? laugh.gif

Social source share

The reason I wanted to do this is my fascination of all the independent and local labels that where into the music I love. Every time I have to explain to friends or my students that soul was/is bigger than Motown Stax and Atlantic, I wish I had a document, web page or a book that could show me all this if you see what I mean?

So, the job I wanna do is not to make a complete label discography of each label, but a "complete" overview of all the soul labels trough states and cities, and then later try get an scan of each of them. And I'm gonna need all the help I can get from you guys! thumbsup.gif

As Dave are saying it might take years and probably never be finished, but it will keeps us out of bother and we will learn a lot along the way. :no:

Social source share

The reason I wanted to do this is my fascination of all the independent and local labels that where into the music I love. Every time I have to explain to friends or my students that soul was/is bigger than Motown Stax and Atlantic, I wish I had a document, web page or a book that could show me all this if you see what I mean?

So, the job I wanna do is not to make a complete label discography of each label, but a "complete" overview of all the soul labels trough states and cities, and then later try get an scan of each of them. And I'm gonna need all the help I can get from you guys! thumbsup.gif

As Dave are saying it might take years and probably never be finished, but it will keeps us out of bother and we will learn a lot along the way. :no:

Carolina Soul

indiana45s.com

Texas Soul Recordings

New York Soul Recordings

Ohio Soul Recordings

Georgia Soul Recordings

There may be others as well

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!