The Ritz Desborough

Guest glyn-w

• Replies 78
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Across the board" venues are just a poor excuse to play played out 70's northern and stuff like Drizabone, Angie Stone etc.

link

Bloomin hell, now we have to worry about the music policy that is advertised. If you agree you have to cater a little for all, what description do you think best describes an event playing; 6/7ts/oldies/xover/rnb/newies with a couple of requested "overplayed" sounds.

You can dress a night up all you like, have the best flyers, tag lines etc but proofs in the pudding. Invest in a good sound system and get the right mix of Northern, I prefer to think "across the board= open minded, no preconceptions"

Danny D

Social source share

Bloomin hell, now we have to worry about the music policy that is advertised. If you agree you have to cater a little for all, what description do you think best describes an event playing; 6/7ts/oldies/xover/rnb/newies with a couple of requested "overplayed" sounds.

You can dress a night up all you like, have the best flyers, tag lines etc but proofs in the pudding. Invest in a good sound system and get the right mix of Northern, I prefer to think "across the board= open minded, no preconceptions"

Danny D

link

Think the music policy at venues has been one of the reaasons for attending venues for many soulies.

Personally can usually tell by the Dj's booked what the music will be like and no doubt the same can be said of many other regular soulies :sleep3:

If across the board and open minded, no preconceptions means hammering Ace Spectrum, Angie Stone, DrizaBone, Futures, Constellations et al then give me oldies and the blinkers any day :(:(

Social source share

Think the music policy at venues has been one of the reaasons for attending venues for many soulies.

Personally can usually tell by the Dj's booked what the music will be like and no doubt the same can be said of many other regular soulies  :sleep3:

If across the board and open minded, no preconceptions means hammering Ace Spectrum, Angie Stone, DrizaBone, Futures, Constellations et al then give me oldies and the blinkers any day  :(   :(

link

Well said that man

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

What sort of tunes are we talking about here, I'm curious.  The Ace Spectrums/Futures type tracks, or different tunes?  I'd have to agree myself if there's two rooms at an event there's no excuse for the crossing over of the types of music between the two.  On the recent Prestatyn thread somebody mentioned a DJ playing a tune in both the northern and modern rooms and couldn't understand why any DJ would do that.  Employ northern soul DJ's to play northern soul and modern soul DJ's to play modern soul, it's a fairly simple scenario isn't it?

Roger

link

Didn't go last night Dodge but the last time i DJ ed there Steve Jefferies played a full on Modern set in the main room Our Kelly, Channel stuff like that while i was on upstairs having said that it seemed to go down well at the time although it most certainly detracted from the modern room which was a bit of a shame as i was brilliant :(:sleep3:

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

=========

Not so sure it's a 60Ts mafia thing, an empty dancefloor tells it's own story really. As Dave said, it is advertised as a northern room, with a seperate modern room, and whilst I am partial to a bit of 'shoulder shrugging' music, it's a little unfair IMO on the majority of punters, who have come to be entertained. Those who only go out once a month or so, want memories not education, well that's how I read it anyway.

Winnie:-)

link

Totaly whith you on that statement Winston!!. It seems that it`s DJ`s playing to DJ`s more than the floor !! But iv`e been saying that for ages...I no you cant please every one all the time. but 70% would do me fine, gives me time for a wass, and a pint..I do like the venue`s that let the floor decide, but even that has its dissadvantages.. There`s no short answer it seems..One mans cieling is another mans floor... or so it seem`s. :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

"Across the board" venues are just a poor excuse to play played out 70's northern and stuff like Drizabone, Angie Stone etc.

Many UK promoters could do no worse than pop over to Oslo and see how they do it there, superb night there last year (November I think) playing good "soul" music!!  :sleep3:

link

Errrm December

but yes one of the very best IMVFHO

Social source share

Guest dodger

Didn't go last night Dodge but the last time i DJ ed there Steve Jefferies played a full on Modern set in the main room Our Kelly, Channel stuff like that while i was on upstairs having said that it seemed to go down well at the time although it most certainly detracted from the modern room which was a bit of a shame as i was brilliant  :(   :sleep3:

link

You're always brilliant mate. Shame you're a crap DJ. :(

I think that was simply a case of the DJ not doing his job all proper like. I'm not musically blinkered in any way shape or form, but if there IS two rooms at a venue with clear musical identities then it should be kept that way. Conversely if I went to somewhere like Prestwich and I heard 'northern' 70s or crossover in the modern room I'd be well feck'd off as I go there to hear the newer stuff, not things that get played in the main room.

Edited by dodger
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've got taste.  There's a difference.  :sleep3:

link

Unfortunately that taste is piss poor and totally blinkered :(:(wink.gif:(

Social source share

Dont usually say a lot on here but this is my pet subject so here goes:

IMO disco & rock n roll records ( sorry should that be modern & R&B? )have no place on the scene, if people like this music and want to go out and dance to it then thats fine by me - each to their own and all that but why this music has attached itself to the northern scene is beyond me.

Before you all start shouting about moving on, keep an open mind, attracting young blood etc etc dont bother cos it doesnt wash I just dont like "R&B" or failed disco records and thats that. By the way I'm not an oldies freak who wants to go out and listen to the same played to death oldies every time either( Some people seem to think that if you're not into modern you must just want to listen to played out Wigan oldies ).

The scene for me has always been about 60s SOUL from when I first started out in '74 with the classic stormers up to now when I'm a bit more into the mid tempo stuff.

The problem I've got is that I'm not into travelling very far and all my local venues are either for the handbag crowd, the beer towel brigade or "across the board" ( see Chalky's comments above ) so if anyone out there fancies starting a night up in Mansfield to play quality 60s SOUL MUSIC you'll have my full support :sleep3:

signed one frustrated soulie

Social source share

Guest dodger

Unfortunately that taste is piss poor and totally blinkered  :sleep3:   yes.gif   :(   wink.gif

link

I think you should have left this comment until one post later!! :(:(:D

Social source share

If across the board and open minded, no preconceptions means hammering Ace Spectrum, Angie Stone, DrizaBone, Futures, Constellations et al then give me oldies and the blinkers any day  :thumbsup:   whistling.gif

link

would they be hammered out oldies (and blinkers) Chalky :thumbsup:

Just dont agree that not all clubs or djs who plays "across the board" always resort to hammered out tunes, woulda thought the different genres gives more choice. Its bad enough we've lost Carl Willingham a true and brilliant exponent of how to dj across the board.

Music policies are also affected by area. What's played out in one town/country might sound fresh somewhere else and vice versa. And If it is played out perhaps that is the only way to gather numbers to keep northern alive in that area.

I put up with 1 or 2 overplayed sounds if its appeasing a returnee or more importantly somebody young/new to the scene both wanting something familiar to their ears, in time they soon get more demanding.

Is advertising saying "we only play really good stuff of one genre" sound better terminology?

whistling.gif

Social source share

Dont usually say a lot on here but this is my pet subject so here goes:

IMO disco & rock n roll records ( sorry should that be modern & R&B? )have no place on the scene, if people like this music and want to go out and dance to it then thats fine by me - each to their own and all that  but why this music has attached itself to the northern scene is beyond me.

Before you all start shouting about moving on, keep an open mind, attracting young blood etc etc dont bother cos it doesnt wash I just dont like "R&B" or failed disco records and thats that. By the way I'm not an oldies freak who wants to go out and listen to the same played to death oldies every time either( Some people seem to think that if you're not into modern you must just want to listen to played out Wigan oldies ).

The scene for me has always been about 60s SOUL from when I first started out in '74 with the classic stormers up to now when I'm a bit more into the mid tempo  stuff.

The problem I've got is that I'm not into travelling very far and all my local venues are either for the handbag crowd, the beer towel brigade or "across the board" ( see Chalky's comments above ) so if anyone out there fancies starting a night up in Mansfield to play quality 60s SOUL MUSIC you'll have my full support :D

signed one frustrated soulie

link

whistling.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup: Unbelievable :thumbsup::wicked::P

Social source share

Got to agree with steve L.modern and r/b should be at seperate venues.Johnny may and pete bangor you are total arseholes and are obviously returnees so get alife and come back when you know what NORTHERN SOULS ALL ABOUT.

Social source share

Got to agree with steve L.modern and r/b should be at seperate venues.Johnny may and pete bangor you are total arseholes and are obviously returnees so get alife and come back when you know what NORTHERN SOULS ALL ABOUT.

link

out of order

first and last warning

Social source share

link

Bloody hell!

Big come down is it? whistling.gif

Social source share

link

crass namecalling whistling.gif

john & pete give their real names (think) and are entitled to ther own view. lets get back to the banter. whistling.gif

Social source share

After several complaints to the promoters in person and by email I gave up on this venue approx a year ago for playing full on disco in the northern room, such a shame as the venue is fantastic.

Social source share

Guest dodger

link

You just can't beat these intelligent, well thought out and reasoned postings whistling.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert