Fairground Soul

I remember the Peterborough Fair for the big commercial hits of 1974 like 'Rock The Boat' The Hughes Corporation, 'Rock Your Baby' George McRae & 'Hang On In There' Johnny Bristol, and then the funkier stuff like 'Low Rider' & 'Me & Baby Brother' War. 14 years old & the old hormones going through the roof. Lots of clumsy fumblings & tongue thrashing under the arches, so to speak. I'd hate to go through all that again... :-)

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I had just bought Fire by The Ohio Players,on my way home I went through the fair ground,(Hollands,)I went on the Waltzers and asked if he would put it on,he did liked it and wanted to buy it off me,I never sold it,but he said he would get one.

Kev :)

Edited by good angel
Social source share

I had just bought Fire by The Ohio Players,on my way home I went through the fair ground,(Hollands,)I went on the Waltzers and asked if he would put it on,he did liked it and wanted to buy it off me,I never sold it,but he said he would get one.

Kev :wicked:

Was just listening to smooooooth radio

Young gifted and black came on still reminds me of the fair :thumbsup:

Mand

Social source share

the tune that reminds me of `tuckers feast` when it came to the village is mel and tims backfield in

motion. also i remember certain prizes given away from stalls were MGM/VERVE/20TH CENTURY cut

out 45s... i can recall winning lou christie `rhapsody in the rain` on mgm righteous brothers on verve

some country music crap on 20th century which at 9 years old i just was`nt ready for

dave

Social source share

Hiya Frank!! :thumbsup:

OOO runaway ..loved that tune ..have it on vinyl somewhere

and who sang that tune listen to "the rythmn of the rain"

lyrics go

"listen to the rythmn of the pourin rain tellin me just what fool Ive been"

and what becomes of the broken hearted / jimmy ruffin

ah sweet memories!!

I bought the big wheels of motown LP that had some class tunes on it

Mand :wicked:

Rythmn was The Cascades from 62/63..........too slow for the waltzers :)

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Great Topic! Not soul records but I remember from our local fair (Hurst Green; Black Country / Bham border) Lazy, Crazy Days of Summer - Nat King Cole + Paper Sun - Traffic. What a contrast...but striding out in "stiff as cardboard" Levis and a off white zip up wind Cheeter, what memories- Ade

Social source share

Hiya Frank!! thumbsup.gif

OOO runaway ..loved that tune ..have it on vinyl somewhere

and who sang that tune listen to "the rythmn of the rain"

lyrics go

"listen to the rythmn of the pourin rain tellin me just what fool Ive been"

and what becomes of the broken hearted / jimmy ruffin

ah sweet memories!!

I bought the big wheels of motown LP that had some class tunes on it

Mand :g:

Rythmn was The Cascades from 62/63..........too slow for the waltzers :yes:

Yeah but it was usually and end of night smoocher LOL :yes:

Social source share

Great Topic! Not soul records but I remember from our local fair (Hurst Green; Black Country / Bham border) Lazy, Crazy Days of Summer - Nat King Cole + Paper Sun - Traffic. What a contrast...but striding out in "stiff as cardboard" Levis and a off white zip up wind Cheeter, what memories- Ade

I had a bright yellow and black also a black and lime anorak style jacket at the time

got them from the army and navy store yeomans I think

wink.gif

Social source share

• 2 months later...

I had a bright yellow and black also a black and lime anorak style jacket at the time

got them from the army and navy store yeomans I think

wink.gif

OMG just listened to Gary Puckett and the union gap...young girl

hairs on the back of my neck stood up to attenshun!!

anyone else hear anything recently???

Mand :)

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Fairground Soul

Fook me, for a minute I thought we might all have another room to go to alongside the Northern, Motown, R&B, Modern rooms

Social source share

it was 'mouldy old dough' and 'Johnny reggae' in banbury, and ironicly the fair was owned by a guy named Bob Wilson

I remember johnny reggae ..that was a tad blue ..guess thats why the lads liked it back then

Minit ...I just named the thread that because I saw the name coined in another thread

WEe havent invented another soul room

YET laugh.gif

Mand :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert