Record Prices

Guest Soultown andy

Correct chalky and so what if some lucky sod,s get to spend lots of dosh on records i,m sure they have earned it,each to his own boys.I think you would be suprised at what some of the big name djs have sat on there record racks as well,most of the guys i know have huge collections that cover the whole spectrum of soul and price range.

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No you're right of course, but it gets massively f*cking frustrating when you love a record but then find out you have to shell out £200 or whatever for privilege of owning one.  That's the downside and the reason I jacked in collecting sevens, I found I was getting angrier and angrier when the only reason I had to shell out £200 for what was always a £25 record was because some uninformed nobhead had done so and therefore set the price at a ridiculous high level.  That's not a criticism of sellers, we all try and get as much as we can for records when we sell them and nobody in their right mind is going to say 'here you go mate, it's traditionally a £25 record and even though it's being sold for £200 now you can have it for £25'!!  It's a shame it's gone that way, but hey ho.  I love the tunes regardless of format so it wasn't too much of a wrench for me to be happy with the rare things on CD or CDR off mates and listen to them at leisure and spend me 200 notes on cheap LPs.  :rolleyes:

Roger

link

Hey Dodger,

Yer like a dog wiv a bone!! Let it go man......get over it......us "uninformed knobbers" :hypo::)swoon.gif ain't gonna change the habits of a lifetime just coz you're a tight bastard who won't spend owt on real records so has to buy cheap disco shite! LOL! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest dodger

Hey Dodger,

Yer like a dog wiv a bone!! Let it go man......get over it......us "uninformed knobbers"  swoon.gif   :hypo:   :huh:   ain't gonna change the habits of a lifetime just coz you're a tight bastard who won't spend owt on real records so has to buy cheap disco shite!  LOL!  :)

link

Hello Dave :rolleyes: I'm well over it mate, just contributing to the thread - I sold up me sevens and moved on a long while back, and it's nowt to do with being tight, it's all to do with not being a mug who's willing to fork out a huge amount of cash just become some seller has thought of a number and quadrupled the f*cker!! :thumbsup::)

Social source share

Hello Dave  :rolleyes: I'm well over it mate, just contributing to the thread - I sold up me sevens and moved on a long while back, and it's nowt to do with being tight, it's all to do with not being a mug who's willing to fork out a huge amount of cash just become some seller has thought of a number and quadrupled the f*cker!!  :thumbsup:   :)

link

Well that and being tight too mate!! laugh.gif

Derek

Social source share

Guest dodger

Well that and being tight too mate!! :rolleyes:

Derek

link

No, not at all, I'll spend hundreds on music but I don't want just ONE bloody record for that!! :thumbsup::)
Social source share

Guest Leigh J

No, not at all, I'll spend hundreds on music but I don't want just ONE bloody record for that!!  :rolleyes:   :thumbsup:

link

Anyone Who is Able To Afford Or There Family circumstaces Allow Them To Search Out And Buy The original Vinyl Is Truly A Lucky Man (Or Woman) I Know The Pleasure That These discs Bring ,I Suppose Im A Bit Like An Alchoholic Who doesnt acctually Drink But Could Hit The Bottle At any Time.

I Had To Make A Choice Northern soul or My family ,I Chose my Family ,The Only Way I Could Do This was to Sell My Records ,I Didnt want any reminders. I Now Only Own Cds But I Dont Love The music any Less ,If It Was down To Me I Would Pay todays Prices .

Social source share

Correct chalky and so what if some lucky sod,s get to spend lots of dosh on records i,m sure they have earned it,each to his own boys.I think you would be suprised at what some of the big name djs have sat on there record racks as well,most of the guys i know have huge collections that cover the whole spectrum of soul and price range.

link

So if it ain't the DJ's Andy, who does push things like Bettye Swann etc up so much in price? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hello Dave :huh: I'm well over it mate, just contributing to the thread - I sold up me sevens and moved on a long while back, and it's nowt to do with being tight, it's all to do with not being a mug who's willing to fork out a huge amount of cash just become some seller has thought of a number and quadrupled the f*cker!! :lol::lol:

Let's be serious for a minute though. :ohmy:

I would imagine very few "experienced" collectors, be they "uninformed knobbers" or not, pay quadruple the real worth of records. Sure there'll be the odd person who pays a ridiculous amount for a thing on ebay, but that will happen with any commodity. In my opinion most dedicated collectors are vinyl hounds. I probably put around 30 hours a week into searching for stuff. Christ, that's nearly an average working week for most guys.

I've found that the Continental European collectors are probably the most adept at searching stuff out. Could that be that most of them haven't been sucked into the "spend a months wages and then go round telling everyone how much it cost" syndrome yet? (You'd be suprised how many "name" DJs do this also). :D

For some, standing behind the decks "waffling" is more important than collecting the music. that's fine, it's their choice.

As for the fueling of oldies prices. I think I have sussed one of the most contributing factors.....wannabe DJs. How many of us know guys that 'returned" to the "scene", hung around for a year, then decided they'd start collecting again. A year (and twenty grand), later they have a box of 200 records and they wanna "get a do going" so they can hear what "they want to hear". (As though you can't anywhere else). :huh::sleep3: Bingo........they're at it......what used to hundred pound sounds now become 2/300 as this posse of wannabes chase the same old 300/400 records. This in turn has had a domino effect on the rarer but still attainable stuff. Check out the Ebay prices of stuff like:

Cecil Washington

Little Tommy

Peoples Choice

Bobby Kline

ALL records that have trippled since the late 90s.

Fortunately most "dedicated" collectors filed these many moons ago and don't have to join the "scramble" to get hold of them. It's the other stuff we want and the wannabes aren't interest in that stuff. YET! :shhh:

Just my thoughts Matey,

Regards,

Dave

PS. I've asked around and the general concensus is......Yep, you're a tight bastard!! LOL! wink.gifwink.gif

Social source share

I probably put around 30 hours a week into searching for stuff. Christ, that's nearly an average working week for most guys.

Dave

link

30 hours a week :ohmy::huh: I wish I had that luxury Dave - 12-14 hours out at work, leaves the balance of the day for sleeping, nosh, catching up with the family etc. Lucky if I get onto ebay at all during the week. :sleep3:

Social source share

30 hours a week  :huh:   :sleep3: I wish I had that luxury Dave - 12-14 hours out at work, leaves the balance of the day for sleeping, nosh, catching up with the family etc. Lucky if I get onto ebay at all during the week. :lol:

link

Nosh? Sleep? Family?

Nosh? Can't afford too much nosh as it all goes on the licclkeblackroundplatikkyfingswotweluvs&treshures :huh:

Sleep? There's loads of time for this when yer dead. :shhh:

Family? Tossed them wasters out years ago Mate! Became too much of a drain on the vinyl resource! LOL! :ohmy:

i know what you mean mate. That's why I'm a big believer in "cut your cloth according to your means" and respect EVERYONE who does that. Best of luck hunting mate.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Dont think its fair to blame the djs steve, to be honest the scene has always been this way popular records always gain in value,and if people want to spend there dosh thats upto them m8.Do take the point that very run of the mill and not so rare tunes get hiked up in price as well but again if people want to pay out theres

very little can be done about it. :huh: .

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Been reading these posts with interest. A lot of you guys have bought the T-Shirt so to speak, whereas me being a young pup (in collecting terms :huh: ) am at the bottom of the ladder.

I spose that makes me a 'Knobber'. I'm jealous as fcuk that I can't buy all the tunes I want as new releases for tuppenny six bob shilling like you did :ohmy:

Reading some of the posts, I feel a need to say that not everyone has had the luxury of collecting for 20-30 years.

I've only been collecting for about 2 years, and the only reason I did is because my personal circumstances changed i.e. I'm a single man.

I will admit to paying over the odds for stuff I've been chasing, and with hindsight possibly wouldn't have done now. How many of you will admit to hearing a track for the first time, hunting it down, buying it and then see a copy x amount of time later at a fraction of price?

It is all down to the individual, I'm sometimes impetuous and make a snap decision to buy a want, then see it later cheaper. I'm learning to be a bit more patient, and to be honest, my finances dictate that. Some people are more reserved and will wait for a cheaper copy to come along. Fine, but we are all different, and as such approach buying/collecting in different ways.

I'm constantly broke, have to steal toilet roll from work and nick stuff from the lads' snap box in the office :sleep3::shhh:

I've been doing my house up for 4 years and it's no different. All my money goes on records.

My point is it's easy to be judgemental when you've got great collections. Spare a thought for the guys who don't, but would love to have one.

Jamie :huh:

Social source share

Been reading these posts with interest. A lot of you guys have bought the T-Shirt so to speak, whereas me being a young pup (in collecting terms :huh: ) am at the bottom of the ladder.

I spose that makes me a 'Knobber'. I'm jealous as fcuk that I can't buy all the tunes I want as new releases for tuppenny six bob shilling like you did  :ohmy:

Reading some of the posts, I feel a need to say that not everyone has had the luxury of collecting for 20-30 years.

I've only been collecting for about 2 years, and the only reason I did is because my personal circumstances changed i.e. I'm a single man.

I will admit to paying over the odds for stuff I've been chasing, and with hindsight possibly wouldn't have done now. How many of you will admit to hearing a track for the first time, hunting it down, buying it and then see a copy x amount of time later at a fraction of price?

It is all down to the individual, I'm sometimes impetuous and make a snap decision to buy a want, then see it later cheaper. I'm learning to be a bit more patient, and to be honest, my finances dictate that. Some people are more reserved and will wait for a cheaper copy to come along. Fine, but we are all different, and as such approach buying/collecting in different ways.

I'm constantly broke, have to steal toilet roll from work and nick stuff from the lads' snap box in the office :sleep3:   :shhh:

I've been doing my house up for 4 years and it's no different. All my money goes on records.

My point is it's easy to be judgemental when you've got great collections. Spare a thought for the guys who don't, but would love to have one.

Jamie  :huh:

link

Always has and always will be the way of record prices Jamie.... someones always paid "less" than you or me for a sound.... depends when it was got as it's all relative and somewhat like "budget rises" over time mate....

Even the "cheapies" go up.... the £2-£7 price range for records of years ago became £5-13, then £8-20 and now £10-40.... so summat got for say £4 back then can sell for £40 now so has moved on ten fold.... yeh! you get the "big ticket" or "in demand" things of today that have what seems like "ongoing budget rises" but on the whole it remains relative.... I'm thinking more generally of the £20 records back then, quite big bucks in relation to wages, being around £200 now....

To me in general, as stated before by other people, a record is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for and the seller is willing to accept.... you can still get your "bargain" but you can still pay "a little bit more" for a major want....

Social source share

As for the fueling of oldies prices. I think I have sussed one of the most contributing factors.....wannabe DJs. How many of us know guys that 'returned" to the "scene", hung around for a year, then decided they'd start collecting again. A year (and twenty grand), later they have a box of 200 records and they wanna "get a do going" so they can hear what "they want to hear". (As though you can't anywhere else).  :sleep3:   :huh:   Bingo........they're at it......what used to hundred pound sounds now become 2/300  as this posse of wannabes chase the same old 300/400 records. Regards,

Dave

link

Absolutely spot on.

WOOF!

Social source share

I spose that makes me a 'Knobber'. I'm jealous as fcuk that I can't buy all the tunes I want as new releases for tuppenny six bob shilling like you did  :lol:

I'm constantly broke, have to steal toilet roll from work and nick stuff from the lads' snap box in the office :huh:   :lol:

Jamie  :sleep3:

link

Hi Jamie,

Wouldn't dream of being judgemental about another collector mate. If I came accross as that then I apologise unreservedly. As I said, each collector does his own individual thing. I just get a liitle wound up at times biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif when non vinyl collectors seem to want to "point out the error of my ways" all the time. I'll still be "at it" when the latest set of "soul heroes" are long gone again. :ohmy:

See, as we all know, there's a distinct difference between a collector and a "person on the soul scene". Nothing right or wrong about either......it's just that they're different animals imo.

As far as the toilet roll fiasco is concerned. I always found that there arsewiping ritual a bit of a waste of time so never had to buy the stuff. Which of course meant ANOTHER twopennybobshilling W/Demo came my way! :shhh:

Regards,

Dave

PS. Welcome to the "uninformed knobber" club anyway. I've been a member for just about all my adult (ish), life! :D

Social source share

Guest alison

PS. Welcome to the "uninformed knobber" club anyway. I've been a member for just about all my adult (ish), life!    :huh:

link

Oi Mr Moore- this arse wipe White Demo Club of yours ...is it as selective as it sounds :sleep3::ohmy: Just joking mate - have to admit they they are the most gorgeous collectables, and rarity doesn't come into it. I just love those PRETTY things too :shhh:

Huge believer in too each his or her own...if it makes you feel orgasmic then it's the right record for you. Doesn't matter whether it's new to your collection, whether you've had it for 30 years or 3; whether it's a cheap album or an expensive 45.

Wish we could take some of the snobbery and elitism out of ownership - if you buy it with love, then it's a good thing. If you buy it with a cheque book yet have no respect for the track - then "yah boo sucks" !

Buy whatever you want - at whatever cost is comfortable for you. It's a personal choice. If you think it's too expensive then it probably is.

Off to listen to a five quid album with more soul than many £500 45's could ever hope to have.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Hey Dave :huh:

No offence taken mate, maybe sometimes I feel very 'aware' that I've been 'on the scene' 2 minutes and read some of the posts in a way they weren't intended.

I also started a night to hear the kind of stuff I wanted to hear, but didn't mention that in the last post : :sleep3::ohmy:

And how long I stay collecting depends on how long I can keep the wolves from the door :lol:

This is one Hard Road To Hoe :huh:

Jamie :shhh:

Social source share

Off to listen to a five quid album with more soul than many £500 45's could ever hope to have.

link

Excellent posting there Alison :huh: - just been listening to some £5 "cheapos" myself today. Just perhaps some of the "cheapos" are "cheapos" because...they sold more...because...they were better produced records - just a thought, and I know life isn't really as simple as that :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

my personal circumstances changed i.e. I'm a single man.

Jamie  :)

link

Just for clarification, were you two men before or a lady? Its amazing what they can do nowadays.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert