Soul Where You Least Expect It

Guest Baz

on arriving in the algarve (albufiera/montechoro) drop the bags of have a freshen up and out to have it the first bar/pub/disco what ever you want to call it we come to is playing northern ok it was all your old run of the mill wigan stuff but i wasnt expecting too hear any all week so naturaly we all stumbeled in the bar and start chatting to the staff we even whent back to the apartment to get a load of CD's

so any of you lot encounterd the same sinario

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Virgin voyager train  services offer radio airline style

norman jay has a soul show and in aprils play list Rose Batiste "Hit and run"

appears !!!

link

yeah he always gives some good soul a spin even when he does house/dance spots in the big clubs he's know to throw in some 70's stuff

Social source share

Yis Baz, although it wasn't as exotic as the Algarve. In Burger King, just off the M1 near Nottingham. We were on our way, with 1,000's of other Cobblers fans, to stuff Hull City and had stopped for brekky and the tunes were bangin out of BK but KTF next door was strangely silent.........Want to go to a soul do there and then but would have missed famous Cobblers victory....

Also heard a top tune while shopping in Wal-Mart in Albuquerque last Oct. Can't remember what it was....too much beer at the weekend! Don't suppose you got drunk eh? You and the Rushden soul rabble? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Old Orleans restaurant in the UCI complex on Cardiff Bay. Quite often eat there before/after going to the flicks. They're always playing soul of some description. Recent notable plays include Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing and, rather gobsmackingly, a few weeks ago Mel & Tim - Forever and a Day. Asked the duty manager where their music comes from and he said it's all sent via hard drive from head office. Where the hell did they get Mel & Tim from?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I remember hearing William DeVaughn 'be thankful' (fast version) in a seafront arcade in Scarborough a few years ago.

Shane

Social source share

I remember hearing William DeVaughn 'be thankful' (fast version) in a seafront arcade in Scarborough a few years ago.

Shane

link

The Waltzers at Scarborough and Skegvegas always had the Montclairs 'Hung Up On Your Love' on the 'playlist' years ago

Social source share

Guest vic-shot

I was in TK Maxx in Greenwich the other day and they played Ann Sexton-You've Been Gone Too Long,me and my girlfriend hung around for a bit to see what we was gonna be treated to next and we got Robbie Williams :thumbsup: assorting our ears.So we left as quick as possible.

Social source share

The Waltzers at Scarborough and Skegvegas always had the Montclairs 'Hung Up On Your Love' on the 'playlist' years ago

link

I was backpacking around this small planet, from mid 89 to 91 When I got to Sydney, I was staying in a hostel in Kings Cross and what looked like a kind of punky/type club across the road, called the "Site". Came wandering in one Friday night and I saw a couple of scoters outside, went closer, and heard Dobie Grey - "out on the floor". With that, went acoss the road, got the pegs out form the backpack, and off I went - Northern Soul night in Sydney !! WOW.

It was the first night, run by a Aussie gizza called George. I know Aus has a good Northern sence now, but this was way before all the nighters kicked off, and was mainly supported by Mods....what a night.

Social source share

Of course FrankM, that should have been KFC! laugh.gif The Crown and Anchor pub on the crossroads of Irthlingborough Road and The Embankment in Wellingborough usuaully play Motown and the better known N.Soul tunes and if they ent, the landlord will happily put some on. Good place for a pre Embankment warm up pint! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hmm.....soul where you least expect it....Rushden maybe? :yes:   :D   :yes:   :D   :huh:   :thumbup:   Soz Basil...couldn't resist that one! (Please don't tell Dave!)

Gaily x

link

:D:D:D:D my lips are sealed

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

on arriving in the algarve (albufiera/montechoro) drop the bags of have a freshen up and out to have it the first bar/pub/disco what ever you want to call it we come to is playing northern ok it was all your old run of the mill wigan stuff but i wasnt expecting too hear any all week so naturaly we all stumbeled in the bar and start chatting to the staff we even whent back to the apartment to get a load of CD's

so any of you lot encounterd the same sinario

link

Yeah wiv you in the Algarve mate :thumbup::huh: sent Mark Sebastian a e-mail at his Radio station in Montechoro last nite, ree, how he got on playing the cd`s that he copied on his radio station, and the DJ spots he`s got..No reply as yet also offerd to make him some more cd`s...Deffanatly a week to remember sir :yes::yes:

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

Hmm.....soul where you least expect it....Rushden maybe? :yes:   :D   :yes:   :D   :D   :thumbup:   Soz Basil...couldn't resist that one! (Please don't tell Dave!)

Gaily x

link

Realy frency, you shuld give yourself the cain :D or even better me and Bazz can do it for you :huh::D:D

Social source share

yeah he always gives some good soul a spin even when he does house/dance spots in the big clubs he's know to throw in some 70's stuff

link

Unsurprising really - he appeared to be held in greater reverance down south than dickie searling is up north. Further Norms Giant 45 sessions I used to listen to whilst driving south on BBC London on a Sunday night wiped the floor with the ad-filled Sunday sessions on Jazz FM the mother-in-law used to send me (god bless her). Quote, "Sorry, I'm not taping that early hour nonsense anymore because I often used to feel like throwing myself down a pit-shaft". :thumbup:

I though Norm was almost god-like at a Notting Hill 2 or 3 years ago :huh:

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

:yes: Too late French Miss He has seen it, and oh boy are you gonna be doing some detentions!!!! :thumbup:

link

Now now mum..cant be nasty to frency.. me n Bazz have all redy offerd DETENTION in the locker room :huh::yes:

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

HOW RUDE SIR!!  :huh:   :yes: Hiya big un! :yes:

Glad you noisy Rushden rabble had a good time sunnin & soulin in the Algarve....missed yas!! See you either Fri (F & I) or Sat (Half Time Orange) OR if the measly pittance I earn can stretch to it...both maybe? :thumbup:

link

Hi Frency..deff going to fire & ice but mite do luton on saturday whith the Lorrain & Chrissy... New we would be missed by some one :D:D

Social source share

Of course FrankM, that should have been KFC! :( The Crown and Anchor pub on the crossroads of Irthlingborough Road and The Embankment in Wellingborough usuaully play Motown and the better known N.Soul tunes and if they ent, the landlord will happily put some on. Good place for a pre Embankment warm up pint! :lol:

link

At our local, the Gallery, in southfields,Northampton,apparently a free Northern soul night is being held there on May 7th,by some entertainment group be worth going to see what is going to be played, prior to that in Northampton bus station, 'I Got The Need-Chuck Jackson,Once Upon A Time-The Orlons, :lol: Del xx

Social source share

On my way back from Football today I had Tom Watt's Radio London soccer show on in the car, and at the end he said "At this time of the season football is a deadly serious business" and then proceeded to play Alfie Davison "Love is serious business" behind the days commentary "highlights", turning the volume up for the chorus etc :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Social source share

What a performance today, eh Steve? It still may be possible if we play like that for the last three games.

link

Very good indeed - "fire in the bellies" and lots of "hearts and soul" as ID would say. Now we need those good Burgers of Portsmouth to "trash" Harry R's goal difference, like the "Smog Monsters" did to the "Baggies" yesterday...

Social source share

Guest Duncan3k

I was backpacking around this small planet, from mid 89 to 91 When I got to Sydney, I was staying in a hostel in Kings Cross and what looked like a kind of punky/type club across the road, called the "Site". Came wandering in one Friday night and I saw a couple of scoters outside, went closer, and heard Dobie Grey - "out on the floor". With that, went acoss the road, got the pegs out form the backpack, and off I went - Northern Soul night in Sydney !! WOW.

It was the first night, run by a Aussie gizza called George. I know Aus has a good Northern sence now, but this was way before all the  nighters kicked off, and was mainly supported by Mods....what a night.

link

The Site was a great Sydney Club, supported by the remains of the Mod scene in the late 80's early 90's, I went for ages, you got to hear a bit of Northern from George also known as 007, who still runs do's in Sydney and a bit of revival and goth and punk, something for everybody.

Had a stainless steel dance floor!!

happy memories

Ozy dunc!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert