Jim Gilstrap - Run, Run, Run- Ever Booted?

Guest selectasoul

Guest selectasoul

Hi,

Anyone know if Jim Gilstrap on U.S. BELL 45,474 was ever booted?? I have just found a dodgy looking copy from a DJ distributors lot I purchased. It has the same track on both sides and the label copy looks washed out. Looks like a boot but I can't find any evidence of it being pressed. Anyone know different?

Cheers Richard

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

Anyone know if Jim Gilstrap on U.S. BELL 45,474 was ever booted?? I have just found a dodgy looking copy from a DJ distributors lot I purchased. It has the same track on both sides and the label copy looks washed out. Looks like a boot but I can't find any evidence of it being pressed. Anyone know different?

Cheers Richard

defo , it was on a label called soul brother records...blue/ white label , think i sold mine a few yrs ago. Its on j.m's list as side effect feat jim gilstrap

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

the Side Effect is the first version before jim gilstrap went solo and a slight different take...(which was in itself booted as "True Effect")

HELLO LADS,

HOPE YOUVE ALL HAD A GREAT CRIMBO.........

THIS HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE BUT JUST TO RECAP..........

THE COPY YOU HAVE IS 100% A BOOTLEG.........IM SURE ITS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IAN LEVINE AS HE WAS CHAMPIONING THAT PARTICULAR RECORD AT THE TIME IT WAS BOOTED AND THE ORIGINAL WHICH IS A STYRENE ISSUE SEEMS TO BE EXTREMELY RARE. IVE SEEN PROBABLY 10 COPIES OF BERNIE WILLIAMS ON THE SAME LABEL FOR SALE AND IVE ONLY EVER SEEN THIS FOR SALE TWICE,JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA............

IT WAS BOOTLEGGED AT DAMONT RECORDS[iTS GOT DAMONT IN THE RUN OUT GROOVE],WHICH WAS BASED IN HAYES WHERE I LIVE[iTS GONE NOW]. RALPH TEE WHO IS ONE OF IANS BEST FREINDS I BELIEVE HAD AN OFFICE IN THE SAME BUILDING.............

I MAY BE COMPLETELY WRONG THOUGH :wave: ........

AS A FOOTNOTE, ITS MILES BETTER[iMHO] THAN THE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED[bEFORE SOUL BROTHER RECORDS IN PUTNEY PUT IT OUT] VERSION BY SIDE EFFECT. IT WAS THIS VERSION THAT WAS EARLIER BOOTLEGGED AS "TRUE EFFECT" ON A 4 TRACK BOOTLEG WITH A SPRAYED SILVER LABEL. YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THEM KNOCKING AROUND IN SALES BOXES OVER THE YEARS.........

KEEP SEARCHING OLD BEAN.........

BEST, IVOR

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks for clearing that up......and good investigation work too Ivor, now I also own a 100% bootie - :wave: but well so what, its a better version.

Thanks.

Nick.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Thanks for clearing that up......and good investigation work too Ivor, now I also own a 100% bootie - sad.gif but well so what, its a better version.

Thanks.

Nick.

TELL YOU WHAT THOUGH NICK, ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING FOR ANYONE OWNING THE BOOTLEG BECAUSE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM IAN LEVINE`S[OR WHEREVER IT CAME FROM :wave: ] COPY,WHICH WAS REALLY BADLY DAMAGED WITH NEEDLE BURN FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 30 OR SO SECONDS.

IN FACT ITS THAT BAD THAT IT MAKES YOU WONDER WHY ANYONE WOULD BOTHER.

GREAT RECORD THOUGH..........AND YES IT IS BETTER THAN THE SIDE EFFECT ORIGINAL VERSION,NO CONTEST.......

IVOR

Social source share

TELL YOU WHAT THOUGH NICK, ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING FOR ANYONE OWNING THE BOOTLEG BECAUSE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM IAN LEVINE`S[OR WHEREVER IT CAME FROM unsure.gif ] COPY,WHICH WAS REALLY BADLY DAMAGED WITH NEEDLE BURN FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 30 OR SO SECONDS.

GREAT RECORD THOUGH..........AND YES IT IS BETTER THAN THE SIDE EFFECT ORIGINAL VERSION,NO CONTEST.......

IVOR

Tell Me Ivor, do you big up all your own Original Records biggrin.gif this way :wub:

Hope You Had A Good One Mate!

Best

Bully :wave:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Tell Me Ivor, do you big up all your own Original Records :yes: this way :)

Hope You Had A Good One Mate!

Best

Bully :lol:

ouch............ :lol: I feel mortally wounded .............. :D

Absolutley Cookie Boy.......

Ivor

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

The Side Effect version was issued on an LP from 1973 called "Effective" on the GAS label.

[/quote

Just noticed this.........Wow, never knew that,thanks Sebastian........

Best, Ivor

Social source share

I believe Levine's copy ended up with Tim Brown. I still don't have an original of this..

There was also a copy that turned up on Ebay a few years back,

the seller ended the auction early,when i asked why he said a guy

from England called JM had made him an offer he could not refuse :rolleyes:

Dave f............

Social source share

There was also a copy that turned up on Ebay a few years back,

the seller ended the auction early,when i asked why he said a guy

from England called JM had made him an offer he could not refuse :rolleyes:

Dave f............

Yes Dave and that copy went to someone else on this thread. sad.gif

Social source share

TELL YOU WHAT THOUGH NICK, ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING FOR ANYONE OWNING THE BOOTLEG BECAUSE IT WAS LIFTED DIRECTLY FROM IAN LEVINE`S[OR WHEREVER IT CAME FROM :wicked: ] COPY,WHICH WAS REALLY BADLY DAMAGED WITH NEEDLE BURN FOR ABOUT THE FIRST 30 OR SO SECONDS.

IVOR

quite bizarre that they never bothered to clean it up with ian,s multi million pound studio !!! :D

tis an easy job if u know what to do !! PRO TOOLS n all that

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert