Curtis Move On Up

Guest Dan

what's the original release of this?

curtom or buddah (or something else)?

and what year?

ought to know i know but don't i'm afraid!

cheers

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

and suprisingly quite hard to find on US Curtom, have seen a few copies recently for £20-25. Most Brits have only seen it on UK release. And what a great track it is - played it at Brighouse Ritz last November to good response. People seem to have forgotten just how good/great this track is.

derek

Social source share

it's stood the test of man years hasn't it derek

anyone know what the story is with the buddah release

just a straightforward re-issue?

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Supporting derek's comments, had a quick peak on Gemm earlier - and already forgotten the precise details, but a US curtom demo was $130 ish dollars and you could get a UK Buddah or even a French pic sleeve buddah for next to nothing.

Social source share

The copy for $130 has been there for a LONG time, no one buys it for very obvious reasons. Top tune but what a clown that lists it at $130. :wicked:

Social source share

Got played a bit at Clifton Hall early 1980's....great sound, mines on Buddah, not played it since those days.......must correct that wrong...

Brett

Social source share

Seen listed @ £50 this week.... possibly Chris Andertons list...

Very hard to find on original 1972 U.S. release as it was a complete flop in the States.

Released just after in the UK and Europe where it went on to be a chart hit.

link

mine's on a 1971 US Buddah...how come??

surely not booted?

so was Buddah first after all?

Social source share

actually the plot thickens (or rather I do)

it looks like it's a german import

marc or someone can maybe confirm?

post-118-1116265134_thumb.jpg

post-118-1116265148_thumb.jpg

Social source share

mine's on a 1971 US Buddah...how come??

surely not booted?

so was Buddah first after all?

link

Interestingly enough, it was actually booted around 1980 on what was supposed to be a Curtom white demo - it just had the words CURTOM RECORDS at the top, not the logo. I used to have one ages ago, think I gave it away - I assume it was a boot for 2 reasons: 1) sound was awful and 2) the market stall I got it from had loads for £1.25 each

Social source share

Seen listed @ £50 this week.... possibly Chris Andertons list...

Very hard to find on original 1972 U.S. release as it was a complete flop in the States.

Released just after in the UK and Europe where it went on to be a chart hit.

link

It is pretty hard considering how well known it is but there has been plenty of copies for sale recently, most in the £25 - £40 range even if some morons bid one up to $100+ on ebay recently. John Anderson seems to have a few of them since he has been selling some on ebay this spring. Shifty has also listed it a few times recently. I am sure there are loads of copies out there somewhere in the U.S.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I love this record, one of my fav' oldies.....It's quality !!.  If it had never been released for some reason and had just been discovered on a studio acetate, all the big collectors & d.j's would kill for it.....it's that good.

link

It's not as good as the rare New World "We're Gunna Make It" which is a Curtis Mayfield produced Move On Up soundalike. All the collectors kill for that, so you might be right. :yes:

Social source share

German multicoloured issue came out with a centre too.

post-1918-1116267655_thumb.jpg

Godz

link

The original UK issue is multicoloured - or is it - got me thinking now - but I'm sure it's on a 2 track with the multicoloured design and that was replaced by a 3 track with the black label, but I may be wrong.

Social source share

Guest taffy

posted this up once before on another thread,john anderson's copy on ebay went for £132..........................????????????????

Mick

link

that was a us demo

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"We're Gonna Make It" is indeed very good, but are you implying that you think it is better than "Move On Up".  :D Surely not.

link

Ok, it's a close one then. blush.gif

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Ok, it's a close one then. :D

link

Only thing they have in common is that bongo player on overtime.. sounds more like a track off one of those K-Tel compilations you could buy in Woolies.. and as for those lyrics - hardly inspired!! [sorry, but you did ask].

Saw the US one on Curtom recently in LA for $2. Didn't buy it as personally I'd never play it out these days ..been played to death.

Great record in it's time though. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

posted this up once before on another thread,john anderson's copy on ebay went for £132..........................????????????????

Mick

link

One of his several copies did go crazy yes, but the others went for a lot less. £132, who are these people? Mentally impaired people with PC access?

Social source share

The New World 45 is OK, not much more. Totally inferior in every way when compared to the brilliance that is "Move On Up". I don't think it (NW) stands out nor do I get a feel of any lasting qualities about it. Not bad and a decent soul mover, but not all that. Seems like a bit of a fad record in certain circles. IMO...

Social source share

Not Curtis.... that's a classic.

I meant New World... piss poor inmho

link

Read my post again. If you do you will see I wrote that I DON'T rate the New World 45 that highly... rolleyes.gif

I don't see how what I wrote (see below) could be misinterpreted but stranger things have happened on this forum.

"The New World 45 is OK, not much more. Totally inferior in every way when compared to the brilliance that is "Move On Up". I don't think it (NW) stands out nor do I get a feel of any lasting qualities about it. Not bad and a decent soul mover, but not all that. Seems like a bit of a fad record in certain circles. IMO... "

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Read my post again. If you do you will see I wrote that I DON'T rate the New World 45 that highly... rolleyes.gif

I don't see how what I wrote (see below) could be misinterpreted but stranger things have happened on this forum.

"The New World 45 is OK, not much more. Totally inferior in every way when compared to the brilliance that is "Move On Up". I don't think it (NW) stands out nor do I get a feel of any lasting qualities about it. Not bad and a decent soul mover, but not all that. Seems like a bit of a fad record in certain circles. IMO... "

link

sorry Christian,

Sometimes forget that you are not from the UK, so unlikely to read the sarcasm into my comment....

Knew exactly what you meant.

Still think you let it off light.... mnaybe you are a closet New World fan?

Social source share

Go for the French Pic Sleeve 45 with Inst on the flip

Ian

or the Buddah lp from 1970. which says on the sleeve original recordings by Buddah Records N.Y

Gaye

Social source share

Err.......I don't hear anything that sounds remotely like the Curtis track. The NW song is, as we say 'round 'ere , gubbins!  :wicked:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

link

sure heard "gubbins" used before but can't remember if is good or bad ? :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!