Daft Question

Guest Beeks

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it :thumbup:

But how do you do cover ups?

I've got this brilliant record and I know damn well noone knows it and want to cover it up...but since i've never covered up a record before in my life I have no idea how to go about it?!

Do you have labels you can buy? Do you have to construct them yourself? Do you just scribble the name of the fake artist/tune name on it? And how do you get the label off afterwards?

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :shhh:

Confused of Manchester :D

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it :thumbup:

I've got this brilliant record and I know damn well noone knows it and want to cover it up...but since i've never covered up a record before in my life I have no idea how to go about it?!

Do you have labels you can buy? Do you have to construct them yourself? Do you just scribble the name of the fake artist/tune name on it? And how do you get the label off afterwards?

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :shhh:

you should test the collective knowledge of soul source to actually prove that nobody knows it by posting audio...

Social source share

you should test the collective knowledge of soul source to actually prove that nobody knows it by posting audio...

You're right Bob...just not got round to loading it up from vinyl yet...I'd be VERY surprised indeed if anyone got it though...it's a toughie from an unexpected source...VERY nice though :D

Social source share

Chris Morgan used to cut out old photos of George Best and other 60's footballers and cover his records (c/u) with them. :D

I'm a City fan Brett so that would be totally unacceptable :thumbup:

Social source share

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it :D

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :D

Beeks,

Its a brave man that says no ones heard this tune before,but you never know,ive thought that before with a tune :thumbup:

We went in to Partners ,and made a lable up,but watch how you attach the lable to the record.

Kev :shhh:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Spot on Boba,one good turn deserves another !!

Anyway Beeks get yourself wank mag,cut a circle same size as label being careful where you position your ladies as you need a hole the label you have just made over the old label and stick with little bits of tape round the edge,and you will end up with a Keb style cover-up. :D

Social source share

Beeks,

Its a brave man that says no ones heard this tune before,but you never know,ive thought that before with a tune :D

We went in to Partners ,and made a lable up,but watch how you attach the lable to the record.

Kev :thumbup:

I thought that too Kev...but this falls way outside the radar...at least I think so...just stumbled on it by accident and it has monster dancefloor potential...the attaching bit is the worrying part...surely if its an adhesive label it will damage the label beneath? Is there any way around this?

Social source share

Spot on Boba,one good turn deserves another !!

Anyway Beeks get yourself wank mag,cut a circle same size as label being careful where you position your ladies as you need a hole the label you have just made over the old label and stick with little bits of tape round the edge,and you will end up with a Keb style cover-up. :thumbup:

:D

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I actually found a template for labels so you could print one off as either a 45' or LP, i did this recently for an album track i covered, just cut the smallest sliver of sellotape and attached it to the label and the deadwax............Just did it for a dayer in Wakefield then hated myself for it and the following day removed the heinous thing, walked into the garden and buried it a good 10 feet........... :D

Brett

Social source share

I thought that too Kev...but this falls way outside the radar...at least I think so...just stumbled on it by accident and it has monster dancefloor potential...the attaching bit is the worrying part...surely if its an adhesive label it will damage the label beneath? Is there any way around this?

adhesive :thumbup: you use cellotape, some on the label and some in the run out groove :D

Social source share

adhesive :shhh: you use cellotape, some on the label and some in the run out groove :D

I'm getting it now...DOH :thumbup::D

Cheers guys...when i've put it on my computer ill post a small taster and watch you all squirm...you'll never get it...if you do i'll be gutted :D

Social source share

i`ll send you some pictures of my budgieregar to use as labels.

chris :D

Brilliant...Fits in nicely with the Artists name actually...Polly Beak & The Tweets :thumbup:

Social source share

I'm getting it now...DOH :D:thumbup:

Cheers guys...when i've put it on my computer ill post a small taster and watch you all squirm...you'll never get it...if you do i'll be gutted :shhh:

This is gonna be an interesting post(unusually so from Beeks :D )

Are we taking bets:-

UNKNOWN v WELL KNOWN

BRILL DANCER v SHITE FLOOR CLEARER

Come on Beeks bring it on ,

surely if you upload a file ,don't name it ,its a virtual cover up..

MIGHT SAVE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE IN THE LONG RUN

Jeez Beeks i'm rooting for you on this one :D

Social source share

This is gonna be an interesting post(unusually so from Beeks :shhh: )

Are we taking bets:-

UNKNOWN v WELL KNOWN

BRILL DANCER v SHITE FLOOR CLEARER

Come on Beeks bring it on ,

surely if you upload a file ,don't name it ,its a virtual cover up..

MIGHT SAVE YOU A LOT OF TROUBLE IN THE LONG RUN

Jeez Beeks i'm rooting for you on this one :D

I'll upload tomorrow...off out tonight got to get ready

It's a B side...more of an R&B/Rhythm&Soul dancer than anything else...have trawled all the usual forums and there hasn't even been a sniff of it not even the A Side...I wouldn't of posted this thread if I thought otherwise...watch this space :thumbup:

Social source share

Get a circle cutter from a art shop.

As said, a brave statement to say no one knows the record, especially with the depth of knowledge amongst soul source. Put up a clip and Soul Source might just save you the hassle of covering it up :D

Here's a man with more money than sense!!

Go in kitchen cupboard and find a cup. In my experience most upside down mugs cover the label and just draw round it and cut it out. Sellotape in run-out groove. Invent artist of same gender as vocal e.g Melvin Washington, Gloria Jackson. Add a group if you can hear one. Write on blank label before fixing to record or write on sleeve if using a pretty picture out of magazine.

Did you never watch "Blue Peter"?

ROD

Social source share

I'll upload tomorrow...off out tonight got to get ready

It's a B side...more of an R&B/Rhythm&Soul dancer than anything else...have trawled all the usual forums and there hasn't even been a sniff of it not even the A Side...I wouldn't of posted this thread if I thought otherwise...watch this space :D

i'm guessing a white artist?

Social source share

Or you could ignore me and do a much more professional job!!

ROD

I was only having a larf Rod (Blue Peter- Here's one I made earlier) laugh.gif took about 3 mins to make that one :thumbsup:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it laugh.gif

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish laugh.gif

Confused of Manchester :thumbsup:

If you are worried about using sellotape, use a little blue tack instead. Just the job.

Edited to clarify: Blue tack on the run out groove NOT on the label.

Edited by soulsider
Social source share

Just get a blank label scan Beeks old boy.

Can help you out here, perhaps you could use this one. Sure you recognise it from your Hacienda days :thumbsup:

post-3218-1235845026_thumb.jpg

As for the title & artist why not cover it as what it really is then everyone wil be running round looking for summat else biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

As for the title & artist why not cover it as what it really is then everyone wil be running round looking for summat else :lol: .SEE ABOVE POST..................

:thumbsup:laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Can help you out here, perhaps you could use this one. Sure you recognise it from your Hacienda days laugh.gif

As for the title & artist why not cover it as what it really is then everyone wil be running round looking for summat else biggrin.gif

Thats the "whiskey talking" then is it ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Beeksy..... I've got a spare one you might like to use ....Just scan it (should come out right size) print it on sticky back paper & Bob's your uncle :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif

post-5566-1235872481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Beeksy..... I've got a spare one you might like to use ....Just scan it (should come out right size) print it on sticky back paper & Bob's your uncle :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif

i'VE GOT THE DEMO OF THIS BOGUE, GREAT PRODUCTION, INCREDIBLE HARMONIES................BLAH BLAH BLAH laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

i'VE GOT THE DEMO OF THIS BOGUE, GREAT PRODUCTION, INCREDIBLE HARMONIES................BLAH BLAH BLAH laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol:

laugh.gif

ohmy.gif Ooo you fibber Brett....It's a one off....never heard before !....... :thumbsup: Beeks told me :D

Beeksy....don't put the soundbite up tomorrow....build it up....make em stew a bit more thumbup.gif

God help you if they already know it though ! :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :lol:

Confused of Manchester :lol:

The best thing to do Beeks is to tell three to four trusted friends what it is so they can get hold of a copy (unless it's mega rare) and play it out as well, covered up, to gather interest. :thumbup:

It's no good covering up something only you enjoy playing out, i've got hundreds of £5 cheapies like that :lol:

PM me :D

oh yeah and post up a bloody soundfile, c'mon :lol:

Social source share

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it :D

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :lol:

Confused of Manchester :thumbup:

car :lol: ve one then you have a white label

kev

Social source share

Can help you out here, perhaps you could use this one. Sure you recognise it from your Hacienda days :thumbup:

As for the title & artist why not cover it as what it really is then everyone wil be running round looking for summat else :lol:

Slightly off topic but I love the Nervous label!

Best,

RB

ps if it's good enough to make it, it won't need covering up....

Social source share

:thumbup: Hi 1st of you dont tell a major dealer the title of the recored you want to cover up? if he does not know it or gets on his mobile to get you to play it to anouther top man say John Anderson if you get the thumbs up you got a winner, however it is unlikely that you have found a new sound these days if its a UK release the chances are even more remote for 6ts soul only about 20+ new sounds have been rediscovered since 1990 and most have been Jamacan artists Glen Miller the best? as for US I have a few sounds that nobody seems to know about. If you are a DJ just put a beer mat over it do not stick a lable on it, call it what you want. Best of Luck DAVE KIL :lol:
Social source share

Slightly off topic but I love the Nervous label!

Best,

RB

ps if it's good enough to make it, it won't need covering up....

as a relatively younger guy who would not know dance music on the label, I love the label because every time I see it I hear the black moon album in my head

Social source share

I actually found a template for labels so you could print one off as either a 45' or LP, i did this recently for an album track i covered, just cut the smallest sliver of sellotape and attached it to the label and the deadwax............Just did it for a dayer in Wakefield then hated myself for it and the following day removed the heinous thing, walked into the garden and buried it a good 10 feet........... :ohmy:

Brett

Was the record that bad Brett :ohmy:

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

I know it might be a stupid question and i'll probably be slated for it laugh.gif

Cheers for the advice/ridicule...edit as you wish :ohmy:

Confused of Manchester :ohmy:

Where's this tune then Beeks - don't tell me you've got cold feet? or are you building the tension?

Don't keep us in suspense,

RB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert