Move On

Guest marge

Guest marge

top notch music

a soul night with a difference, it's there with music I've heard at Bidds, Burnley and the USOS

:huh:

Two tracks I'm waiting to read the play lists on... both I know but have bit the top of my tongue off about.

Top stuff. But I knew it would be. :thumbsup:

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

top notch music

a soul night with a difference, it's there with music I've heard at Bidds, Burnley and the USOS

:thumbsup:

Two tracks I'm waiting to read the play lists on... both I know but have bit the top of my tongue off about.

Top stuff. But I knew it would be. :D

Marge - you're obviously 'defo' a Lady of taste in Quality Soul Music.. As you ain't wrong - an UPFRONT promotion at an ASTOUNDING VENUE playing nothing but CLASS & QUALITY !! :thumbup::yes:

I, too, hope we get to see ALL the play lists from tonight's Move On. Mainly - so's others can see what they're MISSING by NOT giving support to a Soul Night that really does DESERVE a greater attendance than the so-called 'like-minded' soulies have (so blinkered, obviously) given it credit for !! 'SHAME ON YOU ALL'. I also wanted to see what delights I missed prior to my arrival, at just after 10pm, too.

Marge's observation & comparisons with 'Niters the likes of Bidds; Burnley; and USOS; are spot on - with Move On prepared to offer something completely removed from what would be expected from, say, an 'Oldies' night - the 'Framework' for their music policy sees firm foundation via the Resident Team of Matt, Adam, Callum & Killa.

Move On's ethos for an emphasis on 'Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y-' is reinforced by the selection of forward-thinking Dee Jays - one's unafraid to present something new for the attended faithful. So long as their own 'gut' feeling for a tune of class is satisfied, the confidence of the selected guest Jocks in their feeling the 'majority' (dancers & listeners..) would not disagree with their opinion (& respond positively with feet on the floor) is a common factor between all the Music Masters offered turntable action in front of - what MUST be - one of THEE best dance floors in the country.

I managed to catch (more-or-less) Killa's last 30 mins.. But - whilst I would prefer to hear all his offerings -I knew his impeccable knack for both a good tune and ability to present them in a manner that enhances the over all experience of one of his (great) sets - would keep the attendees pleased for his decking time.

Next up was a (rapidly) 'Up and Coming' DJ of note.. Stu Cheetham, from Oldham. And one of the reasons I had to attend this evening.This guy never fails to grab my undivided attention when he gets behind the decks of a venue. Tonight was no exception. An hour of superb up-tempo dancers of sheer delight. I suggest - when next you are at a promotion where Stu is on the DJ rosta - you pay close attention to his selections. Guaranteed, you will have a few more 45's penciled into the 'Wants List'. Keep it up buddy (just don't forget to 'take me with you'.. !! :D ).

With Chalky following on from where Stu left off I had to remind myself, more than once, that.. NO - it ISN'T 'LIFELINE' - that's NEXT week !! Such was the calibre of the rotating discs of pleasure he kept plying us with. Kicking his incredible set off with a particular fave of mine.. Winfield Parker 'Sweet Little Girl' on RuJac. :yes:

Callum had the last of my attendance for this.. musically 'BRILLIANT' night. I made my way homeward around 1.30 (just prior to Matt finishing off the evening - I missed his first set, too !! - Nothing personal, Matt.. HONEST !! :yes: ) Just a SHAME ABOUT THE LACK OF PUNTERS !! ohmy.gif:)

Those that did bother included Karl Heard and his good Lady (in itself, ANOTHER testimony as to what's on offer at Move On) as well as usual suspects the likes of Sian; Mark; & a couple of other 'Nunny' boys; Kev (from Coventry) and several other 'Soulies of Taste'. :huh:

You will defo get MY ongoing support, lads - that's for CERTAIN !! Don't give up - just 're-evaluate', maybe ?? :g:

Fingers.. :g:

Edited by FickleFingers

That totally sums up the quality and calibre of the night. :thumbsup:

Far more eloquently than I could.

Agree with all John's comments.

Marge - you're obviously 'defo' a Lady of taste in Quality Soul Music.. As you ain't wrong - an UPFRONT promotion at an ASTOUNDING VENUE playing nothing but CLASS & QUALITY !! :thumbup::yes:

I, too, hope we get to see ALL the play lists from tonight's Move On. Mainly - so's others can see what they're MISSING by NOT giving support to a Soul Night that really does DESERVE a greater attendance than the so-called 'like-minded' soulies have (so blinkered, obviously) given it credit for !! 'SHAME ON YOU ALL'. I also wanted to see what delights I missed prior to my arrival, at just after 10pm, too.

Marge's observation & comparisons with 'Niters the likes of Bidds; Burnley; and USOS; are spot on - with Move On prepared to offer something completely removed from what would be expected from, say, an 'Oldies' night - the 'Framework' for their music policy sees firm foundation via the Resident Team of Matt, Adam, Callum & Killa.

Move On's ethos for an emphasis on 'Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y-' is reinforced by the selection of forward-thinking Dee Jays - one's unafraid to present something new for the attended faithful. So long as their own 'gut' feeling for a tune of class is satisfied, the confidence of the selected guest Jocks in their feeling the 'majority' (dancers & listeners..) would not disagree with their opinion (& respond positively with feet on the floor) is a common factor between all the Music Masters offered turntable action in front of - what MUST be - one of THEE best dance floors in the country.

I managed to catch (more-or-less) Killa's last 30 mins.. But - whilst I would prefer to hear all his offerings -I knew his impeccable knack for both a good tune and ability to present them in a manner that enhances the over all experience of one of his (great) sets - would keep the attendees pleased for his decking time.

Next up was a (rapidly) 'Up and Coming' DJ of note.. Stu Cheetham, from Oldham. And one of the reasons I had to attend this evening.This guy never fails to grab my undivided attention when he gets behind the decks of a venue. Tonight was no exception. An hour of superb up-tempo dancers of sheer delight. I suggest - when next you are at a promotion where Stu is on the DJ rosta - you pay close attention to his selections. Guaranteed, you will have a few more 45's penciled into the 'Wants List'. Keep it up buddy (just don't forget to 'take me with you'.. !! :D ).

With Chalky following on from where Stu left off I had to remind myself, more than once, that.. NO - it ISN'T 'LIFELINE' - that's NEXT week !! Such was the calibre of the rotating discs of pleasure he kept plying us with. Kicking his incredible set off with a particular fave of mine.. Winfield Parker 'Sweet Little Girl' on RuJac. :yes:

Callum had the last of my attendance for this.. musically 'BRILLIANT' night. I made my way homeward around 1.30 (just prior to Matt finishing off the evening - I missed his first set, too !! - Nothing personal, Matt.. HONEST !! :yes: ) Just a SHAME ABOUT THE LACK OF PUNTERS !! ohmy.gif:)

Those that did bother included Karl Heard and his good Lady (in itself, ANOTHER testimony as to what's on offer at Move On) as well as usual suspects the likes of Sian; Mark; & a couple of other 'Nunny' boys; Kev (from Coventry) and several other 'Soulies of Taste'. :huh:

You will defo get MY ongoing support, lads - that's for CERTAIN !! Don't give up - just 're-evaluate', maybe ?? :g:

Fingers.. :g:

Marge, Fingers, Tabs....thanks very much for your support last night and your positive comments on here :huh: . Big thanks as well to everyone who came to Move On last night, those that were there once again gave us great feedback on the music being played. Was great to chat to Graham for a while during a ciggie break, the fact that you and Helen travelled all the way from Essex for the night was really appreciated. Very pleasant surprise to see Karl and Kate as well.

Don't really know what else to add, except to thank the DJs for once again digging deep into their collection to supply us with a night of superb music. Both Chalky and Stu made long journeys to come and guest for us and as we knew they would, both played great sets. Felt really disappointed for both of them at the lack of numbers in attendance. Killa and Callum have always delivered great sets at all our nights and last night was no exception.

Where to go from here??? Well at the moment thats undecided, Matt and I will get together at some point over the weekend and discuss the options available to us. Last night was our 4th 'Move On' event, after each and every one we've received amazing feedback about the music policy and the venue. But despite that the numbers have been disappointing, and thats me putting it politely! We do seem to have gained a 'hard core' number of supporters who have attended most if not all of the 4 nights, and your support has been great so thank you :thumbup: . The venue is superb with one of the best dance floors around, but it is simply too big for the number of people attending.

Neither Matt or I started this event off with the expectation of making money out of it, we just wanted to offer something different. But personally speaking I can't afford to cover the continuing losses that we are currently suffering from at the venue. Have to say here that we've had some great guest DJs, Karl Heard, Des Parker, Chalky, Pat Wallace, Pat Bleasdale and Steve Csordas and all of them have refused to take payment for DJing as have our two residents Killa and Callum. All of those DJs are quality spinners and frankly it's embarassing to not be able to cover their fees. So far it's been a harsh lesson to discover that whilst there are plenty of people who are vocal about their support for upfront events, far too few back up that vocal support with their attendance.

'Move On' will continue to run in the future and the music policy will not be changing, but when and where we continue to run our night is at the moment very much undecided.

Will add a playlist later on when I've had the chance to go through my record box and remind myself what I played! See you all at Lifeline next Saturday :thumbsup: .

Adam.

Adam - I feel for you - what you are saying is almost an exact duplication of what happened at the 'Soulful Shack' last year. Great venue, hardcore of supporters from day one, and some fantastic music..mainly lesser known early sixties/r&B, and a wonderful friendly atmosphere, but unfortunately just couldn't get the numbers through the door. Why this should be I can't understand. Perhaps there weren't enough oldies played, but then if you start doing that it just flies in the face of what you're trying to achieve in the first place. Mike and Steve, the promoters, are looking for a new venue to start again this year. With regard to 'Move-On' my advice would be to keep going as long as you can, continue to enjoy what you're doing, and hopefully things will improve for you. The scene needs venues like yours.

Hi Adam.

Its a real shame that you, Matt and the DJ's aren't getting the support this event deserves.

And I'm at a total loss as to why.

An hours drive (50 miles?) covers a large catchment area and I would have thought people would travel.

Whatever you decide (smaller venue?) you will still have our support.

Can't not attend a night of this quality.

Chin up mate.

Best

Tabs

Marge, Fingers, Tabs....thanks very much for your support last night and your positive comments on here :huh: . Big thanks as well to everyone who came to Move On last night, those that were there once again gave us great feedback on the music being played. Was great to chat to Graham for a while during a ciggie break, the fact that you and Helen travelled all the way from Essex for the night was really appreciated. Very pleasant surprise to see Karl and Kate as well.

Don't really know what else to add, except to thank the DJs for once again digging deep into their collection to supply us with a night of superb music. Both Chalky and Stu made long journeys to come and guest for us and as we knew they would, both played great sets. Felt really disappointed for both of them at the lack of numbers in attendance. Killa and Callum have always delivered great sets at all our nights and last night was no exception.

Where to go from here??? Well at the moment thats undecided, Matt and I will get together at some point over the weekend and discuss the options available to us. Last night was our 4th 'Move On' event, after each and every one we've received amazing feedback about the music policy and the venue. But despite that the numbers have been disappointing, and thats me putting it politely! We do seem to have gained a 'hard core' number of supporters who have attended most if not all of the 4 nights, and your support has been great so thank you :thumbup: . The venue is superb with one of the best dance floors around, but it is simply too big for the number of people attending.

Neither Matt or I started this event off with the expectation of making money out of it, we just wanted to offer something different. But personally speaking I can't afford to cover the continuing losses that we are currently suffering from at the venue. Have to say here that we've had some great guest DJs, Karl Heard, Des Parker, Chalky, Pat Wallace, Pat Bleasdale and Steve Csordas and all of them have refused to take payment for DJing as have our two residents Killa and Callum. All of those DJs are quality spinners and frankly it's embarassing to not be able to cover their fees. So far it's been a harsh lesson to discover that whilst there are plenty of people who are vocal about their support for upfront events, far too few back up that vocal support with their attendance.

'Move On' will continue to run in the future and the music policy will not be changing, but when and where we continue to run our night is at the moment very much undecided.

Will add a playlist later on when I've had the chance to go through my record box and remind myself what I played! See you all at Lifeline next Saturday :thumbsup: .

Adam.

The scene needs venues like yours.

Too true.

I love this venue (even if a little cold). Perfect dance floor and music that grabs you by the nads and makes you dance.

If you have to change venue, will it take away from the great one you have now... :thumbsup:

The only thing that may be a problem is it being on a Friday. It's a day I find difficult to travel but as this is only 12 miles from my house, it's an easy one for me and one I haven't or won't miss... :thumbup:

Thanx for my dose of tunes for this week... :huh:

Guest Matt Male

I'm really touched by all the positive comments from all our regulars and Finger's comments as always just blew me away. A great summing up for us. :lol:

On the downside we really are struggling with numbers. As Adam said we need to put our heads together and consider moving to a smaller venue, just to build the atmosphere a bit and encourage people to return (so it doen't look quite so full) if they are put off by the small numbers. The Colliery Club has offered us the room for less based on our small numbers, so losses might not be an issue but i'm just wondering if the room is too big for us for the numbers we get? :lol: Shame because we have probably one of the best dancefloors ever at our disposal, so it's swings and roundabouts. More intimate venue, but lose the dancefloor.

When we get people like Fingers and Karl Heard and the Banbury and Rugby crowds turning up to support us, and usually Des Parker, Ady Pierce and others then we know were doing something right musically. Our music policy hasn't changed and never will just to get people through the door, we won't become another oldies night just to pay the bills (personally i'd rather run at a loss than do that). Unfortunately as Adam said we have learnt (if we didn't know already) that northern soul is really almost totally a nostalgia scene thesedays with a very few people prepared to go somewhere that they probably won't know every record or hear things new to their ears. The purely underplayed and upfront northern soul scene is much smaller than i ever realised. :D

One of the best things about last night was the number of people who came up and said they would help to make our event work and lending their support for any decisions we make. It really means a lot. It's you guys we do this for because you are worth it :lol:

Any way, lots to think about, but we aint going nowhere so don't 'baby dontcha worry'. :lol:

Such shame Adam and Matt aren't getting the support they deserve IMO. Great venue but as said probably too large for what thy are promoting. Too many are all talk when it comes to wanting to hear something different and regularly fail to support more upfront venues, not just the one Adam and Matt promote but across the country. Hope whatever decision they make is a successfull one.

Despite a four hour round trip I enjoyed the night as did all those who did bother to turn up (I think :lol: ). The music really was first class from all the dj's :lol:

Can only agree with what has been said, excellent music and run by two guys who are in it for all the right reasons (To keep things fresh) Move On is the only venue I have DJ at where I could pull those unknown tracks from the box and get a dance floor reaction.

Last nights Djs did just that with a few clasics supporting the under played gems.

It was cold though!! and that needs sorting. We had to leave early as my lady became unwell. Her lunch did not sit well,nasty!!!! :lol:

Keep it going guys, we will spport you.

Pat

Such shame Adam and Matt aren't getting the support they deserve IMO. Great venue but as said probably too large for what thy are promoting. Too many are all talk when it comes to wanting to hear something different and regularly fail to support more upfront venues, not just the one Adam and Matt promote but across the country. Hope whatever decision they make is a successfull one.

Despite a four hour round trip I enjoyed the night as did all those who did bother to turn up (I think :D ). The music really was first class from all the dj's :shades:

Cheers Chalky, was a long trip for you to come and guest for us and I'm pleased that you enjoyed yourself. Will see you at Lifeline :thumbsup: .

Thanks for all the positive comments that have been made...it was cold again, lesson to be learnt there is we should have gone around turning on all the radiators when we arrived at 7pm with the sound system. Like Tabs I'm at a bit of a loss about the lack of numbers, but people pay their money to go out and where they go is purely their choice....so I can only assume that we don't offer the music that they want? As Matt said we will not give up, but will be looking at options regarding the venue etc etc.

Promised a playlist earlier, still not had chance to look through my records so this is from (my rather poor) memory. Not complete and not in order but here's some of the 45s I played between 8.30 - 9.30.

Ella Washington - Bye Bye Baby - Atlantic

Autographs - I Can Do It - Okeh

Lena & The Deltanettes - Baby Turn Around - Uptown

Rotations - Trying To Make You My Own - Mala

Carl Holmes - Soul Dance No. 3 - Blackjack

Baby Huey - Messin With The Kid - Satellite

Flamingos - Since My Baby Put Me Down - Phillips

Invincibles - Can't No One Man - Ciray

Roy Wright - Hook Line and Sinker - Mica

Billy Gee - The Name Of The Bag - Joye

Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack - Chatahoochie

Marilyn Calloway - Shut Up - Ajax

Harvey Averne Dozen - Never Learned To Dance - Uptite

King Earnest - You Gonna Miss Me - Sonic (think I played this but not 100%!!)

Dickey & Gloria - Mr Clean - Diamond

Tyn Tymes - Baby I Love You - Music Box

Bettye Swann - What Can It Be - Money

Lee Webber - Seventh Son - Excello

Clarence Reid - I'm Your Yes Man - Wand

Lee Brackett - Ruby - Excello

Wild Bill Davis - Breaking Out - RCA

Honey & The Bees - Almost Eighteen - Pentagon

this was our first visit to Move On and it was well worth the 4 hour round trip :ohmy: the music was FANTASTIC! seriously people, if you like Bidds etc get your arses over to this venue :lol: .

i think you are right in maybe down-sizing the venue for the moment, which is a shame considering how great the dancefloor is, but it may create a better vibe in a smaller do.

we were a bit shocked when the bar closed with no warning at 12ish :thumbsup: . but it was lovely to meet the people there, and once again the music was TOP QUALITY! we would definately travel up again and support the night, but maybe a smaller, more personal venue is the way forward?

helen & graham

Guest Matt Male

this was our first visit to Move On and it was well worth the 4 hour round trip :unsure: the music was FANTASTIC! seriously people, if you like Bidds etc get your arses over to this venue :ohmy: .

i think you are right in maybe down-sizing the venue for the moment, which is a shame considering how great the dancefloor is, but it may create a better vibe in a smaller do.

we were a bit shocked when the bar closed with no warning at 12ish :lol: . but it was lovely to meet the people there, and once again the music was TOP QUALITY! we would definately travel up again and support the night, but maybe a smaller, more personal venue is the way forward?

helen & graham

Thanks for your support guys :unsure: It's brilliant that people will travel to here good stuff and very humbling for us, the comparisons with Bidds, Burnley etc.. are great, we need more of those nighter attendees to try us as well.

I can officially say we will be moving to a smaller and more intimate venue where a few of us soul loving forward thinking types can get together and listen to great sounds. We were shocked that the bar closed at 12.30 as well, since we pay until 1pm for the bar staff :ohmy: Another good reason to move venues.

So we are moving, we are regrouping and rethinking, but not stopping. Adam will post something up soon. :lol:

this was our first visit to Move On and it was well worth the 4 hour round trip :unsure: the music was FANTASTIC! seriously people, if you like Bidds etc get your arses over to this venue :unsure: .

we were a bit shocked when the bar closed with no warning at 12ish :ohmy: . but it was lovely to meet the people there, and once again the music was TOP QUALITY! we would definately travel up again and support the night, but maybe a smaller, more personal venue is the way forward?

helen & graham

Hi Helen & Graham, thanks very much for travelling all that way on Friday....great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves :lol: . Apologies about the bar closing at 12ish, in all honesty as I didn't realise it had closed early or I would have had a word with the managment or at the very least got an annoucement made by the DJ. We pay the venue extra to have a 1am bar and I'm more than a bit annoyed that they closed before then.

Now for some important news......

Our next advertised date for 'Move On', Friday 22nd May will now NOT be going ahead. BUT we have not given up, we're just taking a bit of breathing space and we WILL be back in full flow in June :lol: .

Thank you to all that have supported us over the last few months and also to our resident DJs Callum and in particular Killa who has travelled down from Stockport every month to DJ for us.

Matt and I look forward to seeing you all again in June when we'll all be back playing the music we love and doing our very best to give you all our special blend of quality soul and RnB....and get you up and dancing :ohmy: .

Adam & Matt.

Thanks for your support guys :unsure: It's brilliant that people will travel to here good stuff and very humbling for us, the comparisons with Bidds, Burnley etc.. are great, we need more of those nighter attendees to try us as well.

I can officially say we will be moving to a smaller and more intimate venue where a few of us soul loving forward thinking types can get together and listen to great sounds. We were shocked that the bar closed at 12.30 as well, since we pay until 1pm for the bar staff :lol: Another good reason to move venues.

So we are moving, we are regrouping and rethinking, but not stopping. Adam will post something up soon. :unsure:

We really must stop posting at the same time :ohmy::ohmy: .

Matt, Adam - thanks again boys for a fantastic night of music. Really enjoyed myself! Looking forward to the next one, as always. Great set of tunes played again by everybody right through the night. Anyone who has not been or who is thinking of attending this venue, you will not be disappointed with the music policy.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

Source Advert