• Replies 42
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

Can anyone with more teccie knowledge than me post a link to the previous discussion about the difference between the legit and snide copies.

It would be appreciated.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Can anyone with more teccie knowledge than me post a link to the previous discussion about the difference between the legit and snide copies.

It would be appreciated.

link

Mikey,

Looks genuine enough. As far as I can remember boots are brown vinyl (which you can tell by holding them up to the light). The seller 'claims' there is a circular stamp in the run out which contains two characters (although he says these are hard to see). If my memory (failing with age) serves me correctly these should be AR and I think are only on originals.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

i can't mike personally

basing my thoughts on:

it looks like the one my mate dave had

think the typeface on the real ones is a bit smaller, like this

it doesn't have the fake date stamp that the boots i've seen have (inc the last one on ebay)

it looks genuinely knackered rather than fakely knackered!

but like i say wouldn't bet too much!

Social source share

100% definite original.  The delta number is written in different handwriting in a different place to the boot; the stamp is far more clearly defined as well.

link

was just starting to think you were some sort of seer, pete

then i decided to see if there were any other pictures than the main one of the label

doh!

btw missed the post last night but it has gone off today

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Mikey,

Looks genuine enough. As far as I can remember boots are brown vinyl (which you can tell by holding them up to the light). The seller 'claims' there is a circular stamp in the run out which contains two characters (although he says these are hard to see). If my memory (failing with age) serves me correctly these should be AR and I think are only on originals.

link

AS not R (sorry age is making me one letter out!)

Social source share

Has anyone but me noticed that Manship has a scan of it in his "rarest of the rare" gallery, and that it has what looks like a so called fake date stamp on the label? :D   Any comments?

Have a look.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarestoftherare.htm?&pg=51

link

Rob Thomas has a copy that looks exactly the same as that. Saw it Saturday, and obviously, its a real one. Could be the one used for the scan Christian.

Social source share

Mikey,

link

The boot legs did have a circle with the AS or AR in it but it had been scratched in with a pin and some of them had been given the Lovejoy distressed treatmen . If i remeber a certain very well know dealer bought 2 as originals when they were introduced. :D

Social source share

Ray Agee and the Sweets have the same marking, the one on ebay now does shows the proper mark really well

link

That marking is not the regular Monarch MR in a circle, it says something else, though I'll be damned if I can tell what, I have a few things from this plant. Johnny James on Circle M among others. Is it a different plant or is it another marking used by Monarch? I can't find any conclusive info on David Flynn's otherwise excellent site. The ones I have with this stamp have delta numbers too.

Social source share

Has anyone but me noticed that Manship has a scan of it in his "rarest of the rare" gallery, and that it has what looks like a so called fake date stamp on the label? :D   Any comments?

Have a look.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarestoftherare.htm?&pg=51

link

hmmm

that opens up a major can of worms

suggests that the one which was sold on ebay last month was real (so about 40 of us could be receiving papers for a libel suit shortly) and that loads of others have knocked around over the years which were real but thought to be fake!

unless manship has put it up by mistake or as some sort of joke?

the colour is paler than the previously-believed-to-be-real ones I've seen either in person or online etc, though repro can be off sometimes

but the date stamp is a real foxer I agree

Social source share

hmmm

that opens up a major can of worms

suggests that the one which was sold on ebay last month was real (so about 40 of us could be receiving papers for a libel suit shortly) and that loads of others have knocked around over the years which were real but thought to be fake!

unless manship has put it up by mistake or as some sort of joke?

the colour is paler than the previously-believed-to-be-real ones I've seen either in person or online etc, though repro can be off sometimes

but the date stamp is a real foxer I agree

link

Heres an idea Dan, :D

The copy on the scan was one of the first to be found. It had the date on it originally.

When the boots came out, some of them were date stamped exactly the same, in case people had seen the original, in an attempt to deceive.

Now, about John F Kennedys assassination ...................................... :P

Social source share

Guest Soulscene

I had an original with a date stamp on, I know this for a fact as I had one before the boots were ever done.

DS

Social source share

I had an original with a date stamp on, I know this for a fact as I had one before the boots were ever done.

DS

link

Manship should know a real one(i bought mine from him in 1989 and unlike a lot of other UK dealers i dont think or know of him ever trying to pass of a boot as a real one of any title) but may be to just to show what the record looked like he got a scan of the boot. Any way now that one on ebay has got good scans of the proper marks we should not have any problems in future :ohmy:

Social source share

Heres an idea Dan,  :ohmy:

The copy on the scan was one of the first to be found. It had the date on it originally.

When the boots came out, some of them were date stamped exactly the same, in case people had seen the original, in an attempt to deceive.

Now, about John F Kennedys assassination ...................................... wink.gif

link

you might just be onto something steve

i'll ask my mate lord lucan, who bought the original copy off king arthur who'd swapped it for shergar with the yeti

looks as though one way to tell 'boots' isn't right after all!

Social source share

When the counterfiets where done a few copies had the date stamped on

the majority of the counterfiets did,nt .. That I do know  :D

link

===================================================

The counterfiets where copied off a original demo, the reason only a few had the date stamp on is because the ink took ages to dry...This info from the nice chap

who made such a good job of making such a good lookin lookalike to fool

quiet a few would be experts when they where first done :yes:laugh.gif

Personally and from my own point of view over the past few years I think

one or two other so called originals that have turned up unexpectingly

are of lets just say :D:D:ohmy:

Anyone with ideas of 45,s that just dont look right Four Vandals classic example

of how easy it his to fool so called top collecters / DJ,s................

P.S The John & Weirdest was the only one done at the time over in the States

and it was never intented to be sold as a original and they where being sold over here at the time by Matchie for £15 wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

===================================================

Anyone with ideas of 45,s that just dont look right

Dennis Edwards "Johnny on the spot"

Met him in 1991 and showed him a copy, he swore blind it was not him. Although if he was moonlighting between Contours and Temptations days, maybe he wouldn't admit to it anyhow......

Social source share

Ray Agee and the Sweets have the same marking, the one on ebay now does shows the proper mark really well

link

This west coast matrix stamp is exactly the same as on the so called boot by the

Trips on Soultown,iv`e allways wondered about this and why an early viinyl boot would have a matrix stamp like this,also with the Soultown copy if it`s a boot of the Soundville copy then all the sides should be the same recordings,so why are the tracks "Love can`t be modernized" slightly different takes on each label,any takers on this one :ohmy:smile.gif

Dave f.............

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

So, in summary.

The boot may or may not have been a boot, but the original is definetly kosher, unless the boot actually turned out to be the real original, in which case the original is a boot.

The defining stamp is a bit Monarch, but not a Monarch stamp. It might have been done at one or other plant, that may or may not have been a Monarch plant.

The lighter label is different to the darker label, and some with date stamps on are originals but only the ones found before the boot, and the boot has a date stamp on, except the boots that dont.

Cheers for clearing that up for me lads :yes:smile.gif

:Dshhh.gif:D

Now can we clear up my Dena Barnes - These Heartaches?? :ohmy:

Social source share

So, in summary.

The boot may or may not have been a boot, but the original is definetly kosher, unless the boot actually turned out to be the real original, in which case the original is a boot.

The defining stamp is a bit Monarch, but not a Monarch stamp. It might have been done at one or other plant, that may or may not have been a Monarch plant.

The lighter label is different to the darker label, and some with date stamps on are originals but only the ones found before the boot, and the boot has a date stamp on, except the boots that dont.

Cheers for clearing that up for me lads :D     :yes:

wink.gif   :yes:   unsure.gif

Now can we clear up my Dena Barnes - These Heartaches??  :thumbsup:

link

:D:D:D

Social source share

This west coast matrix stamp is exactly the same as on the so called boot by the

Trips on Soultown,iv`e allways wondered about this and why an early viinyl boot would have a matrix stamp like this,also with the Soultown copy if it`s a boot of the Soundville copy then all the sides should be the same recordings,so why are the tracks "Love can`t be modernized" slightly different takes on each label,any takers on this one :thumbsup:   :yes:

Dave f.............

link

Just been looking through the boots and re-issues I sold on eBay and found that the stamp below is also on the Len Jewell 'Bettin' on love' re-issue.

post-1281-1117711765.jpg

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Just been looking through the boots and re-issues I sold on eBay and found that the stamp below is also on the Len Jewell 'Bettin' on love' re-issue.

link

Exactly, that's the one. Sure as hell doesn't say MR, and obviously not the same as the regular Monarch stamp (MR in a ring...). What plant is this then? One explanation to some mysterious boots might be that the plants in question were still in business in the 70's and someone like Soussan or whoever used them to press things up? Lots of boots were manufactured in the 70's by Monarch and thus have proper Monarch stamps. Same thing could have been done at other plants, that basically just pressed what you paid them to press I presume.

Social source share

Yeah - long time ? on this. A number of us have always had doubts....

link

What have you had doubts about? Doubts about the discs authenticity or if it is Dennis or not? Sounds exactly like him to me anyway.

Social source share

link

So the Soultown copy could be a legal re-issue and not a boot,but i`m still confused about the defferent alt take on "Love can`t be modernized" on the Soultown & Soundville labels.

Dave f.............

Social source share

Exactly, that's the one. Sure as hell doesn't say MR, and obviously not the same as the regular Monarch stamp (MR in a ring...). What plant is this then? One explanation to some mysterious boots might be that the plants in question were still in business in the 70's and someone like Soussan or whoever used them to press things up? Lots of boots were manufactured in the 70's by Monarch and thus have proper Monarch stamps. Same thing could have been done at other plants, that basically just pressed what you paid them to press I presume.

link

The boots done at Monarch with the MR circle in the 70s were pressed on styrene,the ones with the same circle stamp as John & the W are on vinyl so as you say C where were these done??

Dave f..........

Social source share

A whole host of Californian soul records were not pressed at Monarch: it wasn't the only pressing plant in the state. The John & the Wierdest 45 shares the same pressing marks as the records mentioned above plus things like J.D. Abram on Reena. Does anyone know the identity of this pressing plant?

On the main subject, the one on ebay is definitely an original, and like Ian C says, when the reproductions appeared they weren't an attempt to fool anyone, and were sold for 10 to 15 quid. Subsequent attempts to pass them off as genuine originals are a bit naughty (to say the least) but you'd have to be visually impaired or have a poor grasp of record collecting to be fooled. Problems could arise when an ebay seller could use someone's scan of an original and sell the reproduction in its' place.

On the Dennis Edwards subject: can anyone tell me if there were genuine black issues of this 45, or just WDJs?

Edited by garethx
Social source share

A whole host of Californian soul records were not pressed at Monarch: it wasn't the only pressing plant in the state. The John & the Wierdest 45 shares the same pressing marks as the records mentioned above plus things like J.D. Abram on Reena. Does anyone know the identity of this pressing plant?

On the main subject, the one on ebay is definitely an original, and like Ian C says, when the reproductions appeared they weren't an attempt to fool anyone, and were sold for 10 to 15 quid. Subsequent attempts to pass them off as genuine originals are a bit naughty (to say the least) but you'd have to be visually impaired or have a poor grasp of record collecting to be fooled. Problems could arise when an ebay seller could use someone's scan of an original and sell the reproduction in its' place.

On the Dennis Edwards subject: can anyone tell me if there were genuine black issues of this 45, or just WDJs?

link

I thought the issues were brown

Social source share

Whatever this 'other' west coast plant is, it seems to use the same delta numbering system as Monarch. I have things from Oakland, San Fansisco and L.A. with this pressing plant stamp and they all have 5 figure delta numbers. Ray Agee (and many other northern 45's) on Soultown also has this stamp I think.

Social source share

Agree with the point that these discs have a Delta numbering system that fits in with the Monarch one, but 45s such as J & TW, Troy Dodds, Ozz & The Sperlings etc. often utilise typefaces on the labels which Monarch records typically didn't (not merely on logotypes, but on credits too). Could be a regional (northern Californian?) outpost of the main Monarch plant.

Social source share

Whatever this 'other' west coast plant is, it seems to use the same delta numbering system as Monarch. I have things from Oakland, San Fansisco and L.A. with this pressing plant stamp and they all have 5 figure delta numbers. Ray Agee (and many other northern 45's) on Soultown also has this stamp I think.

link

Hi this a scan of the Delta dating page that apperared in Shades of Soul August 1987 it may help some people but i expect most of you have it

post-2616-1117808188_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The white label boot of Dennis Edwards is quite different from a real WDJ (using modern computer typesetting as opposed the original RCA-type lettering). The boot I was thinking of was on a black label, a virtual facsimile of a real WDJ, but reversed, and minus the details relating to it being a promo only. Has anyone got a scan of a real issue copy?

Social source share

Agree with the point that these discs have a Delta numbering system that fits in with the Monarch one, but 45s such as J & TW, Troy Dodds, Ozz & The Sperlings etc. often utilise typefaces on the labels which Monarch records typically didn't (not merely on logotypes, but on credits too). Could be a regional (northern Californian?) outpost of the main Monarch plant.

link

Many (like Johnny James) do have the typical west coast typeface for the credits and logo though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert