Spencer Wiggins...... Let's Talk It Over

Guest Dr Pickles

Guest Dr Pickles

Spencer Wiggins ...... Let's Talk It Over

What is the price of this record and what label did it come out on?

Can anyone enlighten me???

Doc

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dr Pickles

I may be wrong but wasn't it a Japanese CD track then got a 45 boot-reissue on Torch or some thing like that..

as I say maybe wrong..

Bl**dy know it all :thumbsup:

Just found this on Manship's site......

"Made available on Japanese CD only. This from the vaults juggernaut of Memhis Northern Soul dancer. Pressed in very limited quantities some 8 years ago, now totally disappeared."

68029.jpg

So two classic questions:

Is this a boot or a legit release.

Can this be played out and still avoid the boot Vs original debate?

Many thanks

Doc

Social source share

Good question, i've never played mine out because of that very same question..

But then again I have heard it out!!

it does mention that its licensed from vivid sound uk ltd on the label ... who are they then?

just put them in Yahoo and it seems its a company in Colchester... if you was booting a record would you put your name on it.. bit easy to trace :thumbsup:

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Also came out as a nice looking UK Stateside look-a-like Demo at about the same time. I believe this one was legit but stand to be corrected

This is it

post-1935-1184692508_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

I have the Soul Series one but it has a B side that I am struggling to remeber. Another R&B type thing. I believe Chris King was behind the Soul Series 45's?

PERCY MILEM / CALL ON ME

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This track was recorded for Goldwax but was one of a bunch that Goldwax founder Quinton Claunch sold to Fame Records, along with Spencer's contract, when he (Quinton) decided to close Goldwax down c. 1969.

It is still owned by Fame Records, who are the only legal owner and licensor of the track. As far a I am aware, Vivid Sound (a reputable compnay, run by a decent bloke, Dave Porter) have never acted as the licensor for Fame Records and thus I think the credit on the Torch copy must be entirely bogus.

I could tell you how legit I think that the Soul Series release is, but I'm always anxious to avoid any and all lawsuits, so I won't say another word :no:

Social source share

It is still owned by Fame Records, who are the only legal owner and licensor of the track. As far a I am aware, Vivid Sound (a reputable compnay, run by a decent bloke, Dave Porter) have never acted as the licensor for Fame Records and thus I think the credit on the Torch copy must be entirely bogus.

Isn't there a Japanese company called Vivid Sound who reissued a lot of the Goldwax releases on LP?

Pretty sure I've seen James Carr and Spencer Wiggins LPS on the label - maybe that's why they've put the misleading info on the label - to give the air of authenticity?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Isn't there a Japanese company called Vivid Sound who reissued a lot of the Goldwax releases on LP?

Pretty sure I've seen James Carr and Spencer Wiggins LPS on the label - maybe that's why they've put the misleading info on the label - to give the air of authenticity?

Yes, there is such a thing, and I do believe that it appeared on a Japanese CD in error - but the point is that, although a Goldwax recording, it was never actually issued on Goldwax, and the master was sold outright to Fame many years before the CD era arrived. That's why Ady couldn't include it on Kent's recent Spencer Wiggins CD, or any of our other Goldwax CDs, although we do have a tape for it.

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

This track was recorded for Goldwax but was one of a bunch that Goldwax founder Quinton Claunch sold to Fame Records, along with Spencer's contract, when he (Quinton) decided to close Goldwax down c. 1969.

I could tell you how legit I think that the Soul Series release is, but I'm always anxious to avoid any and all lawsuits, so I won't say another word :no:

It's weird how somethings turn out. Just did a search following mischiefs post for Vivid Records, got the number from directory enquieries. Gave the number a ring just to see if it was still working only to have it answered by Mr Dave Porter.

Asked him if he had 5 mins to spare and we had a chat about the record. It was produced by Vivid and Dave confirmed that he had paid Quinton Claunch to be able to use the track.

Checked if he minded me putting up an answer on here and he said no problem.

Doc

Social source share

Yes, there is such a thing, and I do believe that it appeared on a Japanese CD in error - but the point is that, although a Goldwax recording, it was never actually issued on Goldwax, and the master was sold outright to Fame many years before the CD era arrived. That's why Ady couldn't include it on Kent's recent Spencer Wiggins CD, or any of our other Goldwax CDs, although we do have a tape for it.

I remember the day way Back when 'Brian Rae' first got the Goldwax import CD's, we were both blown away by the Spencer Wiggins and i think the Wee Willie Walker track 'I Don't Want To Take A Chance' was on one of the CD's too, which later came out on the flip of one of the 100 Club Anniversary 45's with the Magicians on the flip. Just a thought Tony/Ady if you hold the master tapes it might be nice to use the Spencer Wiggins for it's first legit UK issue on the 'Kent Select' series of 45's might make a nice 'B' side??????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just a thought Tony/Ady if you hold the master tapes it might be nice to use the Spencer Wiggins for it's first legit UK issue on the 'Kent Select' series of 45's might make a nice 'B' side??????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

If Dave has paid Quinton Claunch to use the track, dosn't that make it a legit UK issue?

:no:

Social source share

If Dave has paid Quinton Claunch to use the track, dosn't that make it a legit UK issue?

:no:

Sorry the word 'legit' was perhaps the wrong word, i was simply picking up on the fact that Tony said Kent/Ace have a master tape on the Spencer Wiggins and if the other copies have dried up it might simply be nice to maybe use it on their new 'Kent Select' 45 series.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Sorry the word 'legit' was perhaps the wrong word, i was simply picking up on the fact that Tony said Kent/Ace have a master tape on the Spencer Wiggins and if the other copies have dried up it might simply be nice to maybe use it on their new 'Kent Select' 45 series.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Good point, also if they gave Dave the go ahead can't see why Ady and Tony can't get it.

Tony why not speak to Dave and see who he contacted.. just a thought.

i'll be quite now :no:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Think you are asking the wrong camp Mark. Looks more like it should be Goldmine that you should be asking as they have already released it on CD a few years back.

post-5566-1184704190_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Any unreleased SW stuff on the tape Tone (that Fame didn't put out?)

Social source share

Think you are asking the wrong camp Mark. Looks more like it should be Goldmine that you should be asking as they have already released it on CD a few years back.

post-5566-1184704190_thumb.jpg

Lol.....sorry missed that one and i have the CD upstairs...perhaps Tony will reply to this one as i'm really unsure about this one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

huh.gif

No, because Quinton sold the rights to this track to Fame Records so he is not entitled to license it to ANYONE. Only Fame Records are allowed to license it because they own the rights to the recording (as stated by Tony above).

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No, because Quinton sold the rights to this track to Fame Records so he is not entitled to license it to ANYONE. Only Fame Records are allowed to license it because they own the rights to the recording (as stated by Tony above).

Thanks, Sebastian, I could not have put that better myself.

We have tried to license this track, and the other couple of SW tracks that Quinton sold to Rick Hall, but they have not been available for license - pretty much like the whole Fame catalogue was for years, until the company did its recent deal with EMI for some (but not all) of its repertoire.

I know Quinton personally, he's a very honourable man. He's getting up there in years now, though, so he may have just had a 'senior moment' when (if!) approached to license it. If Quinton actually did license this track to 'Soul Series', then he did so in error. As to whom Goldmine 'licensed' it off, I couldn't begin to guess. (Some bloke who happened to pass through Memphis one day on his way to Little Rock, perhaps? wicked.gif )

The unissued Goldwax tracks were definitely sold to Fame outright in 1969 and, indeed, one of them, the ballad 'Love Me Tonight', actually did come out on the flip of one of Spencer's Fame 45s. Ace has paperwork in its vaults that supports this...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes there is a Japanese company called Vivid Sound that have released some mouthwatering albums and CD's .I've got both the James Carr and Spencer Wiggins albums , fantastic collections , though I'm not sure how legal they are , fantastic packaging tho ' .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert