Smokey Robinson - Yes Or No?

Newer

Wife has always been on about never seeing Smokey and to be honest I am not a fan.

Fortunately for me he is doing a free show in Toronto on Friday as part of the TD Jazz Festival, missus is happy and I do not have to pay :thumbsup:

Martha Reeves is supporting and we all know how she sounds recently.

Dennis Coffey is playing a small club the day after but, due to the recent news, Sharon Jones has cancelled her show.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Do not get me wrong, I am/was as big a fan of the Motown/Miracles stuff as anybody and have many 45's and albums, it is just now when ever I see him on TV or a show he just not perform IMO.

I know I am not explaining myself very well (and may have upset some people? :) ) but he appeared in Toronto a year or so ago and the tickets were $125? I just did not think he was worth that based on what I had seen receontly.

I am going and am happy not to be paying, that is all I am saying.

Social source share

Sorry to say but my initial thoughts were proven right.

Had a decent day, couple of hours mooching about in Kop's. Met the wife after work for a few pints, our son joined us, and a bite than met some friends in the open square in down town Toronto.

Sorry but someone has to tell Martha Reeves to just pack it in, Christ, my ears were bleeding a couple of times.

Smokey came on a did a dodgy Going To A Go Go, then a decent stab at Tears Of A Clown but unfortunately each song was followed by at least 5 minutes of babbling - I know, I know - he is a legend. Then came a decent Quite Storm followed by Cruising {never liked it} but there were a lot of damp women around me who obviously did  :) .

He then did a couple of snips of stuff he has written on Stevie Wonder, Temps etc but there really was too much chat ( I timed a couple at 7 and 8 minutes each) and some very embarrassing old man bump and grind (imagine your dad at a wedding disco)

We decided to then head off to get the train back to Hamilton. There is a shuttle train that runs every hour to and from Hamilton with stops along the way which is dead handy and costs $10 each way.

Got a coffee and waited for the train but then the announcement that train had been cancelled as another muppet had jumped in front of train. I know this sound heartless but this is 5 in the last couple of months. Train eventually left 1 1/2 hours later after we had sat there not knowing if a train was going to run at all and then had the pleasure of watching a Blue Jays fan walking through the concourse actually throwing up as he was walking!! Lovely!

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Sounds like Manchester City Centre. If smokey still makes women wet then his gyrating can't be all bad! ! Or did you mean they were crying?!!

This Canadian, English thing gets confusing with alternative meanings to words.

Did his gyrating make them grind their fannies?

Sorry:)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert