Real Soul Clubs Where Are They

Soulcool

Who else is looking forward to the Opening of the Longfield Suit (Prestwich) in May 2014. I am for sure, the place got the mix between Northern Soul and Modern Soul just about correct for me. Moving between the two rooms at this venue means anyone could enjoy themselves, personally I enjoyed the smaller modern room the most, its atmoshere, good time's guarenteed, quality music, the mixture of modern styles, great. So until the Longfield Siute opens where are the real soul clubs, I'm not looking for a single style music venue, but a venue that mixes all soul music stlyes. Say from beat ballad Northern, 60's 70's to 2014, Funk, Latin, Jazz,Hip Hop these styles all have Soul. Real Soul Clubs Where Are they......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who else is looking forward to the Opening of the Longfield Suit (Prestwich) in May 2014. I am for sure, the place got the mix between Northern Soul and Modern Soul just about correct for me. Moving between the two rooms at this venue means anyone could enjoy themselves, personally I enjoyed the smaller modern room the most, its atmoshere, good time's guarenteed, quality music, the mixture of modern styles, great. So until the Longfield Siute opens where are the real soul clubs, I'm not looking for a single style music venue, but a venue that mixes all soul music stlyes. Say from beat ballad Northern, 60's 70's to 2014, Funk, Latin, Jazz,Hip Hop these styles all have Soul. Real Soul Clubs Where Are they......

NOT a soul club as such, BUT, check out the Soul in Bowl sessions at Rushden Bowl in Northampton, GETTING A BLINDING, AND WELL DESERVED,  REPUTUTATION. Does'nt fill ALL your criteria, definite lack of Funk, Jazz and Hip Hop :thumbup: , but dots the I's and crosses the T's with EXCELLENT Northern and Modern rooms :yes:  :yes: :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :hatsoff2:  

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Thanks for your reply, I will watch the soul-source events forum for the Soul In Bowl sessions,a venue I did enjoy was the Wilton Ballroom in Castleford this club did not play Jazz, Latin Hip,Hip Hop played either, the quality of music northern/modern played is and still is exceptional and I would class the Wilton Ballroom as a Real Soul Club, wow what am I becoming I''ll be talking about Real Ale Beer soon on original beer mats only, I just can't get enough of hearing new tunes, enjoy your time at Soul In the Bowl,Keep On.

Social source share

Thanks for your reply, I will watch the soul-source events forum for the Soul In Bowl sessions,a venue I did enjoy was the Wilton Ballroom in Castleford this club did not play Jazz, Latin Hip,Hip Hop played either, the quality of music northern/modern played is and still is exceptional and I would class the Wilton Ballroom as a Real Soul Club, wow what am I becoming I''ll be talking about Real Ale Beer soon on original beer mats only, I just can't get enough of hearing new tunes, enjoy your time at Soul In the Bowl,Keep On.

Used to Love the Longfield Suite too and looking forward to the relaunch.

City Limits in Sheffield shares the same ethos in so far as it has a great modern room and was relaunched recently (Dec/Jan? last) but on a new quarterly basis, with Sean Chapman slipping in some Latin stuff into his set in the main room.

Nice venue and friendly crowd too........and I'm just a punter with no vested interest by the way  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Soul Funk-tion in Walsall, attended by people who know their music, a decent, friendly and knowlegeable crowd they are too! DJs who know how to mix it up.  They have a Facebook page, but it might be invite only, if you want to check it out and can't get on, PM me and I'll make sure you get an invite.

Think the next ones March 15th - There's only ever about 4 or 5 a year - keeps it fresh.

:thumbsup:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Shameless self plug for two events that will be right up your street in Leeds.......

That Driving Beat - 3rd Saturday bi monthly

(Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec)

Empty Bottles - 2nd Friday bi monthly

(Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov)

Both run 9pm - 3.30am, plenty of quality music for your money, and 6.5hrs worth!!

Either of those well worth a visit, and the promoter for Soul Funktion is DJing at the next Driving Beat too! (15th Feb)

Social source share

I'm your man for that sir .

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

shameless self plug too.................... the incredible FLY BY NIGHT, AWESOME VENUE, GREAT FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE, THE BEST MUSIC................ So if you are in oz and want a great night come along. visit the website FLYBYNIGHT FREMANTLE. You will here a great mix and range of music from the very rare, modern, popular soul and of course MOTOWN.

Played on original vinyl by the great team of top dj`s BAZ AND TIM

Social source share

In answer to your last sentence you would be lucky to find all that choice at one venue.

Three alnighters with varied soul styles are Gloucester, Lifeline and Radcliffe.... all cater for the Connoisseur

Social source share

Used to Love the Longfield Suite too and looking forward to the relaunch.

City Limits in Sheffield shares the same ethos in so far as it has a great modern room and was relaunched recently (Dec/Jan? last) but on a new quarterly basis, with Sean Chapman slipping in some Latin stuff into his set in the main room.

Nice venue and friendly crowd too........and I'm just a punter with no vested interest by the way  :thumbsup:

Social source share

back street blue, thanks for the City Limits tip my Barnsley pals have been looking for a decent venue and City Limits is worth a try, I'm wondering did you ever tune into that Sheffield pirate radio station was SSR? Steel City Radio??, I remember listening to the?? is "chillfo front" the guys names were "chillpout" "budgie" and "Nigel" they played great music and were a right scream at the same time.

Social source share

Soul Funk-tion in Walsall, attended by people who know their music, a decent, friendly and knowlegeable crowd they are too! DJs who know how to mix it up.  They have a Facebook page, but it might be invite only, if you want to check it out and can't get on, PM me and I'll make sure you get an invite.

Think the next ones March 15th - There's only ever about 4 or 5 a year - keeps it fresh.

:thumbsup:

MrC, It sounds like you are all keeping it real in Walsall, I must admit I'm missing THE FUNK, one of the hardest things to do is to keep a club as you say and as I agree with FRESH and every credit to you people for doing that, As I'm from Leeds, Walsall is it bit out of the area, many thanks for your hospitality and offer of invitation, who knows though in the future I may be able to experience the Soul Funk-tion meanwhile enjoy the event for me, thank you, keep on.

Social source share

Shameless self plug for two events that will be right up your street in Leeds.......

That Driving Beat - 3rd Saturday bi monthly

(Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec)

Empty Bottles - 2nd Friday bi monthly

(Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov)

Both run 9pm - 3.30am, plenty of quality music for your money, and 6.5hrs worth!!

Social source share

LilJimmyCrank, Shameless self plug or no, I'm from Leeds and I am shameless to say I've never been to these venues,shame on me, I nearly went to Empty Bottles but " I nearly went" dont count I know, what am I going do with myself, not supporting my local events definately shame on me, keep up the good work and delivering the good times, Leeds needs YOU, keep on.

Social source share

Thanks for the information, I will be in Manchester that Saturday 15th Feb.,but if I wasn't, your information is more than appreciated and would make sure my soul pals know about the event, thanks very much its frustrating I cannot be there, with so many events going on we have never had it so good, if we all got together what a soul/funk army we would make,keep on.

Social source share

shameless self plug too.................... the incredible FLY BY NIGHT, AWESOME VENUE, GREAT FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE, THE BEST MUSIC................ So if you are in oz and want a great night come along. visit the website FLYBYNIGHT FREMANTLE. You will here a great mix and range of music from the very rare, modern, popular soul and of course MOTOWN.

Played on original vinyl by the great team of top dj`s BAZ AND TIM

Social source share

turntableterra, Er?. er?. erm??. which bus do I catch to oz then??, you be as shamless as you want cobber, let the music play and let the people play, I hope you are packed to the koulabar trees your on your next event, as long as you don't play the same old bilalbong ( thats oz ryeming slang for song) I reckon you will be ok, Soul fans support this event when your somewhere near, turntableterra are you uk ex-pat or Australian, tell us about yourself and your venue and bring the people to your music, keep on

Social source share

Labeat, you are right I totally agree with you for a single club to be able to mix all those different syles of music, it would be a challege to say the least, I was I suppose just casting a net out their to find out what is really happening to Soul music scene and I am enjoying the replies from people and listening to their views of the Soul scene, my personal feeling is that we have never had it so good, the events, the music, the people still clubing regularly, collectively we are some force to be reckon with and there is no sign of us slowing down either,thank you for the venue information, I've been to Radcliffe and enjoy a "jug" of ale or two and loved that little funky room, Keep On.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

just do what you want, get in to your own thing

if you want to be a scene person do that

if you dont, just enjoy your own taste

its not sort of hard

work it out

Social source share

back street blue, thanks for the City Limits tip my Barnsley pals have been looking for a decent venue and City Limits is worth a try, I'm wondering did you ever tune into that Sheffield pirate radio station was SSR? Steel City Radio??, I remember listening to the?? is "chillfo front" the guys names were "chillpout" "budgie" and "Nigel" they played great music and were a right scream at the same time.

No mate not heard that radio chanel

Plenty of recommendations in the replies on here to keep you going and the Barnsley lads could do worse than to get down to Sheffield City Hall this Saturday three rooms, big names and should be something for everyone

Social source share

Check out 'Caliente' in Peterborough:

Definately not a club banging out those played to death Oldies all night!

Next one Friday 4th April - its FREE entry (has been for last couple of years).

Cheers, Ray

Edited by Raym
Social source share

Hi Soulcool (Kim is it?). One downside to this thread (and has always been the case)

is that there are sometimes "too many" venues on at the same time, thus creating

frustration for promoters & punters alike, as Dave P says the Horse & Groom is a

good alternative... Sunday afternoons.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

turntableterra, Er?. er?. erm??. which bus do I catch to oz then??, you be as shamless as you want cobber, let the music play and let the people play, I hope you are packed to the koulabar trees your on your next event, as long as you don't play the same old bilalbong ( thats oz ryeming slang for song) I reckon you will be ok, Soul fans support this event when your somewhere near, turntableterra are you uk ex-pat or Australian, tell us about yourself and your venue and bring the people to your music, keep on

already had a few responses from this yey.................. let the billabong blow

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

thats called across the board.......it don,t work.........something for everybody,nothing for anybody
Social source share

the horse and groom in doncaster..this sunday amazingly enough.... a real wide selection of soul music and a great atmosphere...now into our 6th year..another shameless plug..not that it need it..always rammed

YES DAVE.........YOU+R KID+JOE & TEAM DOIN' A GREAT JOB @ THE GROOM

NOWT WRONG WI BLOWIN' THEE OWN TRUMPET

orfansfromdetroit

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

In your opinion

Thats just it it,s my opinion.....you tell me where it works?

p.s.....so at driving beat you play modern,70's crossover,R&B?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Thats just it it,s my opinion.....you tell me where it works?

p.s.....so at driving beat you play modern,70's crossover,R&B?

It works at ATB Soul over 100 in last month.....

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

That Driving Beat (that's why I posted it on this thread), Rugby, Different Strokes, any event in Europe, GoGo Children. I'm sure there's quite a few more

Hi there.....well i,m told your music policy has changed somewhat?....l did ask you some time ago what the policy was because you had some dj's on who quite clearly did not play the style that your club perported to play? Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Hi there.....well i,m told your music policy has changed somewhat?....l did ask you some time ago what the policy was because you had some dj's on who quite clearly did not play the style that your club perported to play?

Music policy has stayed the same (in a good way). I remember you asking, in reference to Steve plumb guest djing at the time, and I think Ted Massey might have been on that night too. We advertise, amongst other genres, "rare and underplayed 60's and 70's" which Steve plays.

All guest DJ's are allowed to play with the shackles off within what we advertise.

Atmosphere, energy and numbers rarely fail so I'd say it works, yes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Music policy has stayed the same (in a good way). I remember you asking, in reference to Steve plumb guest djing at the time, and I think Ted Massey might have been on that night too. We advertise, amongst other genres, "rare and underplayed 60's and 70's" which Steve plays.

All guest DJ's are allowed to play with the shackles off within what we advertise.

Atmosphere, energy and numbers rarely fail so I'd say it works, yes.

Fair enough steve p plays mainly modern...so you should advertise modern as well.....or across the board atb T
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It doesn't work for you don't you mean?  Not everyone prefers it how you want it to be.

Don,t mean that........just look at the places that rock....Nuneaton (oldies)....Stoke (oldies) boomerang (crossover and modern) empty bottles (uptempo &r&b) black bee (same)....there ya go all have their own policy....which ain,t across the board.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!