Jump to content
  • Sign Up
 

Record World US Mag Online Archive

Record World US Mag Online Archive cover

Thanks to @Kegsy we have news of an archive that may be of interest to a fair few on here

Record World was a music industry trade magazine published from 1946 to April of 1982. Until 1964 it was called "Music Vendor"

'it's a goldmine of info. Seems like every issue of Record World by date is included'

Watch out though cause as he warns 'The problem is, if you're like me, it will draw you in for hours'

Link follows below...

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Record_World.htm




  1. 7 Day Lovers

  1. Article Comments

Forum Activity


Members Comments

Recommended Comments

I got lucky when I selected March 12 1966 for starters.

Tremendous material and an eye opener for what we have always regarded as a rare music scene.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

I got lucky when I selected March 12 1966 for starters.

Tremendous material and an eye opener for what we have always regarded as a rare music scene.

Too true, a photo of Edward Hamilton and an advert for Brice Coefield and that's just for starters in that issue.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, alexsubinas said:

 

I've been using it for about a year now ... they have lots of ads that didn't appear in Cashbox & Billboard ... plus very different new release reviews & more ... it's good just a select a particular issue & scan thru it ... you find allsorts of great soul related stuff ...

RecordWorld69.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Roburt like Tony Michaels was lead singer of the (golden world) reflections. Probably not earth shattering news but how many knew ?.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looked at the May 13, 1967 issue of RW- both Jimmy Mack "My World Is On Fire" and the Younghearts  "Little Togetherness" received Four Star reviews !!

Who would have thought that ? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

These 2 also jumped out- in the May7, 1966 issue, George Blackwell "Can't Lose My Head" got a 3 star review and was described as "perfect for 1966 dancing

styles". Christine Cooper  got a 4 star review for "Heartaches Away My Boy". 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for letting us know 👅

1 hour ago, Roburt said:

I've been using it for about a year now ... they have lots of ads that didn't appear in Cashbox & Billboard ... plus very different new release reviews & more ... it's good just a select a particular issue & scan thru it ... you find allsorts of great soul related stuff ...

RecordWorld69.jpg

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Oh dear, this link just fell in my favourites list 

See you in about 3 months then !:D

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spain pete said:

My Mrs has just left me , thanks for posting 👏🎶🎶👅

You're welcome.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found 2 articles that should be of interest. The March 12th issue has an article on One-Derful Recordson page 46. The April 16th issue has "The Golden World Story" on 

 page 21. This article mentions a new group they just signed- The Debutantes (??). At first I thought they meant the Debonaires but that group had been with the label for awhile.

Does anyone know anything about the Debutantes on Golden World? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going back quite a few years now...so from memory and scruffy notes ....this may not be quite right-but it should start you off if you need to find out more.

 joyce wilson (joyce vincent) was one of the Debutantes( 3 females.) maybe even Dorothy Garland? they were on (i think) Standout?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenb said:

I'm going back quite a few years now...so from memory and scruffy notes ....this may not be quite right-but it should start you off if you need to find out more.

 joyce wilson (joyce vincent) was one of the Debutantes( 3 females.) maybe even Dorothy Garland? they were on (i think) Standout?

According to Soulful Detroit those two were also in the Debonaires, the Debutantes had a record out on Standout records, looking at the label details it seems it was closely associated with Golden World/Ric-Tic/Solid Hitbound etc. I think it's fair to assume the Debutantes became the Debonaires.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

According to Soulful Detroit those two were also in the Debonaires, the Debutantes had a record out on Standout records, looking at the label details it seems it was closely associated with Golden World/Ric-Tic/Solid Hitbound etc. I think it's fair to assume the Debutantes became the Debonaires.

I think this is the ‘Standout’ group. Played their own instruments too, as suggested in the article.

Edited by David Meikle
Extended sentence #2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

What an archive.................

Just randomly picked out a mag, and this was big in Pittsburgh..

Some serious reading.........

 

Ed

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

i wasn't thinking of those Debtantes David, but i could have got my faded notes and memories wrong.

i think...(sorry i can't be more precise) The Debutants -without an "e" in their name, was possibly an aggregation of some members of The Dobonaires/The Adorables.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David Meikle said:

I think this is the Standout group. Played their own instruments too.

Yes I saw their 2 other releases on Lucky Eleven and Gail & Rice labels. I think they are a totally different group from the Standout group and the Terry Knight connection is purely coincidental. If, as stated on Soulful Detroit, the Debutantes and Debonaires shared personnel they were definitely not an all white group as Joyce Vincent/Wilson is black. Then again maybe Soulful Detroit is wrong, who knows ?.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strong Foundation on Standout 601 doesn't sound ( to me that is) like a white female garage group

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Yes I saw their 2 other releases on Lucky Eleven and Gail & Rice labels. I think they are a totally different group from the Standout group and the Terry Knight connection is purely coincidental. If, as stated on Soulful Detroit, the Debutantes and Debonaires shared personnel they were definitely not an all white group as Joyce Vincent/Wilson is black. Then again maybe Soulful Detroit is wrong, who knows ?.

Having said all that, i have just listened to the Standout record and it does sound very "white" if you know what i mean. Perhaps there were two groups called the Debutantes and one had to change it's name, as I said earlier who knows ?.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
Just now, Kenb said:

Strong Foundation on Standout 601 doesn't sound ( to me that is) like a white female garage group

But their version of Shake a Tail Feather certainly does IMHO.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

After further sleuthing I don't think think The Debutantes had anything to do with the Debonaires. Firstly the article mentioned above is from 16/04/1966, the Debonaires had Golden World releases prior to that. Record World has a mention of them on 18/09/1965. It's hardly likely they would be announced as the Debutantes 6 months later. Obviously the misleading posting re Debutantes personnel on Soulful Detroit is wrong. 

I reckon the Debutantes did sign with the Golden World group and they were released on a new subsidiary label Standout, they then left with Terry Knight when he went to Lucky Eleven.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

After further sleuthing I don't think think The Debutantes had anything to do with the Debonaires. Firstly the article mentioned above is from 16/04/1966, the Debonaires had Golden World releases prior to that. Record World has a mention of them on 18/09/1965. It's hardly likely they would be announced as the Debutantes 6 months later. Obviously the misleading posting re Debutantes personnel on Soulful Detroit is wrong. 

I reckon the Debutantes did sign with the Golden World group and they were released on a new subsidiary label Standout, they then left with Terry Knight when he went to Lucky Eleven.

The Debonaires also released 45’s on GW in June 66 and October 66. 

It was myself who put together the GW story on SD.

Where is the mention of the Debutantes in that article? Or are you finding them in a forum thread? Only asking.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

The Debonaires also released 45’s on GW in June 66 and October 66. 

It was myself who put together the GW story on SD.

Where is the mention of the Debutantes in that article? Or are you finding them in a forum thread? Only asking.

Ooops, I have screwed up here, I got the names from the Kenb post above and then found the names of the Debonaires on Soulful Detroit NOT the Debutantes. I just assumed Kenb was correct.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure David and you Kegsy are correct.

Firstly-i've listened again to the Standout side all the way through. It's likely they are the girls with the guitars. Secondly, i have probably remembered and re-read some stuff i was doing on The Debonaires, plus The Debanaires (backing vocals on Spencer Stirling's Audrey sides). -and stuff i was doing on The Adorables- and remembered (wrongly) a thread (most likely on SD Forum) which had the Debutantes tied into it.

Glad to be corrected.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The front page always featured some good stuff .... the inside pages even more ....

From 68 & 69 ... I can't remember seeing the ad in any other record mag  .... that 45 by the Miami based group also escaped in the UK of course ...

 

 

RWsleepers68.jpg

RW45reviewsAprl69.jpg

RW45reviewsAprl69b.jpg

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help with the Debutantes ! 

   While scrolling through Record World, found March 26, 1966 to be one of the best weeks for Soul releases. All of these received 4 stars ( the highest rating) 

  Lorraine Chandler "What Can I Do", The Reflections "Like Adam and Eve", Tammy Wayne "Have A Good Time", Tony Hestor "Just Can't Leave You"

and the Olympics "Mine Exclusively".

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never knew Christine had a singing sister ... I wonder if she cut any tracks

Andy

6 March 1966 edition

Super K Action Super NEW YORK-Spurred by the success of its first production, "S.O.S" by Christine Cooper on Parkway Records, Super K Enterprises is moving to larger quarters at 1650 Broadway and announcing other growing plans.
Super K, which maintains an open door policy, also has just signed the You Know Who group, probably to be on their Attack label. Firm is dickering
with several diskeries for Belle Cooper, Christine's sister. And Christine will have a new single out soon, either "Heartaches Away My Boy" or "Farewell to Love." The K fellows manage Miss Cooper too, who is getting a lot of choice bookings

and there's a nice advert and pics in the 15 Jan 1966 edition

 

Edited by Andy Rix

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The search function on the americanradiohistory website is awful, so if you are looking for something specific rather than browsing through an entire magazine you may have to be creative to find what you are looking for.  This search problem also impacts Cash Box and Billboard magazines available on the same website.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.