What Soul Record Reminds You Of Who

Just a bit of lightheartedness on a Thursday afternoon .. Maybe been done before on a romantic tip?

Anyway, generally speaking - I'd have to go for Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe on Quaint and say that it reminds me of Clanger, cos I remember him wanting it, I remember him getting it and I remember dancing to it whilst he was playing it out. Dunno if he's sold it or what, but yep that track reminds me of soul chum Clanger..

Must be hundreds similar? It's the 'why' that's interesting?

Do tell .. :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bearsy

Just a bit of lightheartedness on a Thursday afternoon .. Maybe been done before on a romantic tip?

Anyway, generally speaking - I'd have to go for Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe on Quaint and say that it reminds me of Clanger, cos I remember him wanting it, I remember him getting it and I remember dancing to it whilst he was playing it out. Dunno if he's sold it or what, but yep that track reminds me of soul chum Clanger..

Do tell .. :lol:

same for me Ian,Alan he was in a right ol tizz trying to get hold of that :lol:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Tony Galla, In Love on Swan...reminds me of Tony Smith (Prophonics) because following a conversation about the aforementioned artist at Crossfire last year, he (& Laney i think) sang the whole song whilst we were having a fag outside! :lol:

Edited by Mrs Simsy
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Gene Toones for Simsy as i remember meeting you at The Rocket and we just started to chat and on came "What more do you want" and you was off to the dance floor quicker than me :lol:

Social source share

Gene Toones for Simsy as i remember meeting you at The Rocket and we just started to chat and on came "What more do you want" and you was off to the dance floor quicker than me :lol:

I remember that! Yeah at the Rocket.. :lol::lol:

Social source share

too late-williams and watson, ALWAYS reminds me of a girl from leigh, lancs "mad" janice thorpe, we used to go mad and sing it as a duet,obviously, all the time, remember stomping to it on a table in M's, both of us screaming it at each other,OFF our fookin faces :lol: , it was also the the tune that janice taught me how to dance to in the afternoons in me mums front room, that girl has a lot to answer for :lol: , thanks janice,wherever you are now,

Social source share

Epitome of sound, reminds me of the late Nev Wherry RIP. I have vivid memories of him and his lady dancing (arms around each other) to it at a Nottm palais all dayer circa 78/79. i still think of this every time i hear it.

also Mel Britt, reminds me of a good friend who emigrated to Oz many moons ago. it was his fave tune, probably still is

Social source share

Guest BIG H

Every time i heard Jack Montgomery's Dearly Beloved it always reminds me of the late Brian 'Barney' Welsh, absolute gem of a guy and a total legend on the Scottish soul scene, very sadly missed

Harry

Social source share

Larry Williams - I Am The One reminds me of Gaz Kellett....

along with a few other records that we'd jump up and down too

oh happy days :thumbup:

Social source share

:thumbup:

Do tell .. :ohmy:

Passions-If you see my baby-reminds me SOOOOOH much of a very good friend, Linda Campbell/Barr (R-I-P Linda x) I can still see her now 'bouncing' to that in her boots and mini skirt every time I hear it.

O'Kaysions-Girl Watcher-Dave Alcock (another sadly missed soulie I'll always remember with a smile and/or tear

Oodles more ...(some too rude to mention on here though ha! :D )

Gail x

Social source share

Tempests - Someday always reminds me off Martin Maylia

Imaginations - Strange Neighbourhood - always reminds me of his mate Cong ( Tony Cartlidge )

Aaron Domain - Silent Treatment reminds me off my mate Dunc who spent ages finding a copy

The Night - Frankie Valli - Steve Whittle, the last record played in Mr Ms, I can still see Steve playing it tears running down his cheeks

Social source share

Every time i heard Jack Montgomery's Dearly Beloved it always reminds me of the late Brian 'Barney' Welsh, absolute gem of a guy and a total legend on the Scottish soul scene, very sadly missed

Harry

Terry Callier's Ordinary Joe always reminds me of Barney. The guy was a superstar and hugely missed.

gary

Social source share

David & Giants - Ten Miles high

Always reminds me of my girlfriend at the time Beverley Griffiths - we used to go to the Ritz together and when it was my birthday she gave me a card and written on it was "Ten miles high with BG" Ahh the memories!

Next girlfriend dumped me the morning after I had just got back from wigan having just purchased a uk copy of Nancy Wilson - End of our love :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Duke Browner - Crying over you, always reminds me of a fella at the Leicester anniversarry when it was held in Loughboro banging himself extremely hard on the head with a metal tray, at the 'clapping' breaks.

Ruby Andrews - Just lovin you. Carrots at th Blackpool weekender waking up the caravan park.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Do tell .. :wicked:

actually George Cameron "my heart tells me so " reminds me of you simsy cos you were so enthusiastic about it biggrin.gif

the rest remind me of women and i'm too much of a gent and a coward to answer that :ohmy:

Social source share

actually George Cameron "my heart tells me so " reminds me of you simsy cos you were so enthusiastic about it :lol:

the rest remind me of women and i'm too much of a gent and a coward to answer that :thumbsup:

Yes likewise on the GC mate as said dedicated to you at the 100 Club - even assumed a Scottish accent - "This one goes out for Dundee Davie" .... biggrin.gif

Fair play on the second point.. wink.gif

Social source share

Ruby Andrews - Just lovin you. Carrots at th Blackpool weekender waking up the caravan park.

That reminds me of SS mod and all round good egg Rachel Shirley as she agreed with me that Ruby does infact sing "such a tit head" right near the end of the song. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Terry Callier's Ordinary Joe always reminds me of Barney. The guy was a superstar and hugely missed.

gary

Always reminds me of Steve Livesey... he used to play it a lot. :thumbup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

oh happy days :thumbup:

For me there a couple of tunes put me in mind of Gaz - Ree Flores "Look Into My Heart" and Baby Washington "That's How Heartaches are Made" . The Ree Flores was on a tape he did me and the Baby Washington was a tune he rated that I actually had :D

Social source share

I cant listen to Ike and Tinas River Deep Mountain High without thinking of my best buddy at the time, John Bolton. It was his fave tune ever. He was killed in a car crash coming home one night from Accy British Legion. I miss him still and that was 30 odd years ago.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Rat Race - Righteous Bros Band - Brian Rae....always kicked off with this great instrumental at The Fleet

Buddy Smith - When you lose the one you love - Nige Shaw....coz he played it during his Beat Ballad set at the 100 club and he was so proud to own it. Nuff said!!

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Do tell .. :D

This Won't Change - Lestor Tipton will always remind me of my bezzie mate Micky Cruise

Look At Me Now - Terry Callier will always be a loving reminder of Ged Hughes from Wigan

and if i had to think of one for Dave Molloy, way too hard, the man just loves soul - simples!!!!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smartypantsnancy

I cant listen to Ike and Tinas River Deep Mountain High without thinking of my best buddy at the time, John Bolton. It was his fave tune ever. He was killed in a car crash coming home one night from Accy British Legion. I miss him still and that was 30 odd years ago.

I am sat with Yvonne and we are talking about John Bolton,

I remember the night at Accy Legion when we heard he had been killed. Bev Watson saw it from her house and that memory is still so clear in my mind!!

All the best

Nancy Lois

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest oldsoulboy2

QUOTE (BIG H @ May 21 09, 05:29 PM) Every time i heard Jack Montgomery's Dearly Beloved it always reminds me of the late Brian 'Barney' Welsh, absolute gem of a guy and a total legend on the Scottish soul scene, very sadly missed

Harry

gary

Bobby Caldwell's Love Won't Wait and Toast To The Lady are the two tunes that remind me of Barney.

Gilbert

Edited by oldsoulboy2
Social source share

Yes it was in May 1976. the night before the Cup Final.

Every time a drive pass the spot, I remember John.

The record that most reminds me of anybody is Saxie Russell, it was Fuse from Burnley fav.

He was killed on Accy Rd Burnley, somewhere else I have to drive pass alot.

Social source share

oh happy days :laugh:

Defo one of Gaz's Kirst:thumbup:

Another three that always remind me of him:

1. Lovers - without a doubt (remember him crawling (literally) up to the decks to ask Ian to play it at the Wilton),

2. Billy Arnell - tough Girl aka "Ginger's new Mick McManus cover up" :laugh: "It's so sh*te Billy Arnell insisted on it being covered-up" - priceless!

3. Epsilons - mad at the world (coz he had written it in about 12" high letters on his kitchen wall :ohmy: )

Haven't seen Gaz for ages; I do miss him calling for me on a Sunday with his Woolworth's kids cricket set under his arm. The conversation usually went: "fancy a game? Can't mate, my teas ready. Ok, see you next week":laugh:

See you soon hon x

Social source share

Guest clanger v2

Do tell .. wink.gif

Ha ha! laugh.gif

When I saw the title of this thread, straight away I thought of Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack.

Remember our duet outside Middleton on some cold and rainy night? thumbsup.gif

I always associate Ernie with that night whenever I hear it. good.gif

Edited by clanger v2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert