Ian Levine On 6 Music Tonight

Guest SteveSnow

If you had 400 great and unknown northern soul monsters, like he boasts of having, would you play bootlegs of records other people have made popular?

And you know I concentrate on my own stuff.Besides it is my concern when I'm threatened by this monster and his cronies for having an opinion, AND other people have been receiving threats from him when his paranoid head tells him I'm pretending to be someone buying his record packs to set him up. If they were emails to me I'd post them on here, but they are not my emails to post.

How many bootlegs did he play at Crossfire? Why is Levine playing carvers of Butch spins on the radio?

As he's not on here, your personal ongoing spat isn't relevant to a discussion about records played on a radio show. Ditto with Crossfire, I didn't look to see if every record was an original or a boot, I do know that the vast majority were originals and I didn't witness any boots.

Social source share

• Replies 121
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

As he's not on here, your personal ongoing spat isn't relevant to a discussion about records played on a radio show. Ditto with Crossfire, I didn't look to see if every record was an original or a boot, I do know that the vast majority were originals and I didn't witness any boots.

Good to know the majority were originals :)

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Im not here for a Levine slagfest , but I am interested in these 400 OG unknowns ? A false start on the J Lovjoy but hopefully plenty more to come ?

Simon :)

Anyone can have 400 unknowns, surely. I've got hundreds of them. Except in my case, they are uknown because they are rubbish laugh.gif

Social source share

Anyone can have 400 unknowns, surely. I've got hundreds of them. Except in my case, they are uknown because they are rubbish :)

Its strange but John A and Butch know the rubbish too Pete laugh.gif . How about having Levine at the 100 club , so he can air his quality unkowns ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Less of the stupid doubting smileys please; as i said the vast majority were. tongue.gif

That's good to hear, at least the majority were not carver boots. I guess the odd few doesn't hurt anyone :)

Social source share

I've listened to the show, hopefully without bias, and made comments next to each track...

Tried to be as postive as I could, so if I say I'm not a fan, then it means I really am not a fan.

The Charades - Key To My Happiness Classic Oldie

Impact - Smile A While Average Seventies sounding track which IMO would go down well with the "handbag crowd".

Tommy and The Derbys - Don't Play That Role So So.... nowt to write home about

Tommy Tate - If You Ain't Man Enough- Now this I did like - until the GEEEETAR kicked in then it was spoilt for me

Martha Starr - Sweet Temptation- Had the LP with the alt version on - was never convinced that it was that great then.

The Moments - Key To My Happiness Pleasant enough slow track - not for a 'Northern Soul Showcase' though

Rhetta Hughes - Cry Myself To Sleep Lovely record, can't fault this choice.

The Soul-Sations - Can't Take The Pain - Mucky. Mucky. Mucky.

LJ Reynolds - Key To The World Muckier than the one above.

Margie Singleton - Never Let Go Don't like her voice - far too squeeky for me.

Sharon Scott - I'm Not Afraid - Marvellous

The Poets - Wrapped Around Your Finger Never really been that impressed by this track, but its ok.

Patrinelle Staton - A Little Love Affair Sick to death of hearing this, used to hear it everytime I went out at one point. Otherwise a fair choice.

The Festivals - Gee Baby Bloody Awful. A migraine inducer.

The Contours - I Just Can't Stop This Feeling Not bad - not their best but worthy of being on air.

Benny Harper - My Prayer A love/hate track. This week I'm mostly loving it.

Collette Kelly - City of Fools Aaaargh! Please make it stop.

Benny Latimore - Jolie Tripe.

Sandy Golden - Your Love Is Everything Ok

James Lovejoy - Divide and Conquer Poo Poo

The Parliaments - My Rainy Day Great record, very messy, but bit tired of hearing it now.

The Originals - Don't Stop Now "One of the greatest Motown Records ever made"? Really? Decidedly mediocre

CP Spencer - This Man Needs You As far as Ians productions go, it's not that bad really, just suffers from the "Levine Sound"

The Exciters - Reaching For The Best Never liked this. Nowts changed since last time I heard it.

Nat Augustin - Love Is My Sanctuary Not for me.

The Four Vandals - The Wrong Side Of Town Cack. always was, even when it was being touted as a 60s recording (obviously to people with painted on ears)

The Concentrations - Man On The Spot Definately not for me.

Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You Would make a great instrumental, if you remixed it and slowed it down a tad....(not that bad in a Sandie Shaw kind of way)

Tahira Jumah - Waterfalls - Another that's not my taste - I think it might be the drums.

Barbara Pennington - Twenty Four Hours A Day Probably the best Ian Levine production IMO - its a proper "Disco" record.

Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground - Popular, and as these new productions go, not the worst.... too much tamborine though

Lyn Jerrard - Guarantee Of A Lifetime You're having a laugh surely?

Esjae Gennice - Standing In The Darkness - No, not a fan.

Ronnie Walker - Out Of The Shadows - Ditto.

Davinah Edwards - So Far Beyond My Dreaming Ditto.

Tommy Hunt - Nothing But Good Times - Good old Tommy, what a trooper. Bout the best I can say about it.

Nat Augustin - I Found Heaven Still a Take That record to me.

JJ and Orthea Barnes - Send Some Love Not a fan.

Chuck Jackson - All Over The World Used to think it sounded ok - hasn't aged well has it... utter tripe.

Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me Neither has this one.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

For whatever folk class it as I absolutely adore the Tahira Jumah track Waterfalls. The woman has a great voice and the production is not typical of Ian's modern day creations. Even Dave Abbott was impressed by it. Will this track only be released on the forthcoming album?

Social source share

Guest Paul

I've listened to the show, hopefully without bias, and made comments next to each track... Tried to be as postive as I could, so if I say I'm not a fan, then it means I really am not a fan.

I'm glad you weren't being "negative" because your "positive" comments were harsh enough.

It's very easy to call tracks "tripe", "poo poo", "cack", "utter tripe" etc in an attempt to be controversial, but it's much more difficult to offer constructive criticism to explain why you don't like a particular track.

Thankfully, many other soulsource members are broad minded and have regarded 'Jolie' and others by Lattimore as classics since they were first released. It isn't rare and it's not an obvious dance track but it deserves a little more respect.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Thankfully, many other soulsource members are broad minded and have regarded 'Jolie' and others by Lattimore as classics since...

Paul

Think you can`t really disqualify members (people) by classifying other (member)s as being more broad minded only because they cherish certain tunes more or even regard them as classics whereas others do not. IMO

Marc

Social source share

Guest Paul

Think you can`t really disqualify members (people) by classifying other (member)s as being more broad minded only because they cherish certain tunes more or even regard them as classics whereas others do not. IMO

Marc

Hello Marc,

I didn't attempt to "disqualify" any member, I just pointed out that it's very easy to be insulting about a track rather than offer constructive criticism.

Even if he had said "this one isn't for me, personally" or "I don't like slow tracks" or whatever, that would have been better.

We all have personal preferences but we need to remember that people tend to have different tastes.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Marc,

I didn't attempt to "disqualify" any member, I just pointed out that it's very easy to be insulting about a track rather than offer constructive criticism.

Even if he had said "this one isn't for me, personally" or "I don't like slow tracks" or whatever, that would have been better.

We all have personal preferences but we need to remember that people tend to have different tastes.

Best regards,

Paul

Think that this is exactly all what Pikeys Dog was trying to express with his review, a different taste on certain tunes (only by the way..).

But from the essence of what you just said I understand your point of view seems to be in reality quite similar to mine.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Pikeys dog was pointing out that Ian Levine was playing an hour of "Semi Known / Rare / Not so rare Northern Soul" not an hour of mixed "Deep / Ballad / Funky" or otherwise - I could have gone more in depth on every track, but that would have been nitpicking.

Maybe cack was a little strong - how about dull, boring and bereft of any redeeming features other than it is by an artist popular with the "Soulier than thou" few.

Social source share

Not THAAAAT many copies around, are there ? Anyway, people should play the flipside more often anyway ;-)

Marc

Marc,

There were plenty of reissues out there that got time on the decks.

You couldn't go anywhere without hearing it at one point.

Round here we call it the "Good Times, Bad Times... Nine F*cking Times" Syndrome.

Social source share

I'm glad you weren't being "negative" because your "positive" comments were harsh enough.

It's very easy to call tracks "tripe", "poo poo", "cack", "utter tripe" etc in an attempt to be controversial, but it's much more difficult to offer constructive criticism to explain why you don't like a particular track.

Thankfully, many other soulsource members are broad minded and have regarded 'Jolie' and others by Lattimore as classics since they were first released. It isn't rare and it's not an obvious dance track but it deserves a little more respect.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul,

I respect your right to consider the track worthy of respect, as much as I personally hold the right to believe that it's just not really very good.

Believe it or not I am quite broadminded in my taste - but when something doesn't work for me, then there's no point beating about the bush - i.m.o it's tripe and listening to three minutes of tripe is three minutes i'll never get back.

Unfortunately, there was so much i didn't like about a lot of the tracks, I thought i had been as positive as I could muster in my notes.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hello Marc,

Best regards,

Paul

Now that is funny, considering the hostess of the show in question and the venom he spits on here.

:unsure:

Nobody else gets special treatment and allowances, why should his royal highness? Pussy footing around him all the time like he's the queen of England, while he's slapping threats, or if they are lucky insults, on anyone who disagrees with him.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Now that is funny, considering the hostess of the show in question and the venom he spits on here.

:rolleyes:

Nobody else gets special treatment and allowances, why should his royal highness? Pussy footing around him all the time like he's the queen of England, while he's slapping threats, or if they are lucky insults, on anyone who disagrees with him.

I think its time to see the nice doctor, James and take your medicine.. Calm down and have a good sleep.

Zis obsession wiss the Mr Levine person is beginning to make you very ill .

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

I'm guessing that everyone who wanted to hear the show has done so by now.

Closing this thread before JT bursts another vein in his forehead.

Social source share