Ian Levine On 6 Music Tonight

Guest SteveSnow

Guest SteveSnow

Just thoroughly enjoyed Craig Charles' 2 hour show and Ian's just started - he's not played a duff track yet......... :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveSnow
Social source share

• Replies 121
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Just thoroughly enjoyed Craig Charles' 2 hour show and Ian's just started - he's not played a duff track yet......... :rolleyes:

it's supposed to be a MOD day .... i don't see the relevance of ian levine to mod

Social source share

30 mins gone...fantastic show..

Just finished with Sharon Scott, when Adi played this down the 100 club for the first time I went up onto the stage he asked

"how good is that?"

"adi thats better than my wifes fanny" wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I'm sure he will laugh.gif

Social source share

contours - can somebody please release that piece of stunning music or whoever put it on refosoul about 12 month back please post it again cos I have lost it

paul - was it the moments key to my happiness before patrinella staton

Social source share

contours - can somebody please release that piece of stunning music or whoever put it on refosoul about 12 month back please post it again cos I have lost it

paul - was it the moments key to my happiness before patrinella staton

the moments key to my happiness that was his first record..

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James Lovejoy is actually produced by Chaz and Dave, and that's true :rolleyes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

yeah, as kev just said that was the charades but there is sure to be a playlist put up somwhere

sorry but didnt like james lovejoy - wont be the first time I have said that about a mr levine record and then go on to like it 12 month later :rolleyes:

hope the next hour is as good

Social source share

yeah, as kev just said that was the charades but there is sure to be a playlist put up somwhere

sorry but didnt like james lovejoy - wont be the first time I have said that about a mr levine record and then go on to like it 12 month later :rolleyes:

hope the next hour is as good

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

sorry but didnt like james lovejoy - wont be the first time I have said that about a mr levine record and then go on to like it 12 month later biggrin.gif

Sounds like Chaz and Dave, don't you think? :)

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

45 mins in and he aint yet...why listen or contribute? Its as if you want to listen to one of the all time greats f*** up...he won't wink.gif

O' BROTHER, NOW HE WILL START TO PLAY ALL THAT DUFF SHIT HE MADE!

:) C.

Social source share

Sounds like Chaz and Dave, don't you think? :)

Now Now, James behave, shouldn't you be out scaring children or something laugh.gif:D

I have come to a conclsuion tonight though, Ian's opinion of great female northern is far far away from mine, but to be fair I'm not a 70s fan so he was on a loser with me from the start.

QoFxx

Social source share

My Mrs who was a Torch and Blackpool lass and isn't interested in Nothern soul now has just yelled through..Ian Levine is the master, unlike you wannnabee jollys, he's been there or abouts for 40 years...he is without questions the top geezer.

She has been on the Chardonay :)

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow
:) Ian's just wheeled out the Four Vandals - actually, not a record I particularly object to, but shameless nonetheless - it would have been cooler not to mention it at all Edited by SteveSnow
Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

:) Ian's just wheeled out the Four Vandals - actually, not a record I particularly object to, but shameless nonetheless - it would have been cooler not to mention it at all

I TOTALLY AGREE, MATE! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I quite like the way way back then he managed to show what a sycophnatic egotistical bunch we really are? laugh.gif

YEP :):D

Social source share

the second track from his exclusive 3?

scenario what would you do if you had found this in usa record shop...10" acetate one off, no artist on say the abtone label

Everyone of us would come in our pants etc...that fact its a 2009 release shows what a maestro Ian Levine actually is.

I thought Levine was a cut above the rest in the early 70's however his contribution to the UK dance seen since those wonderful days of the Blackpool Mecca and The Trorch should never be underestimated

Some who despise him due to hsi arroagant approach should take a big breath, step back and think again, the bloke is a genius.

Paul and KAY Donnelly.

a wonderful two hours of his and our music, many thanks Levine.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Guest Paul

I missed the first hour so I'll have to catch up later. I'm still looking forward to hearing the James Lovejoy and Margie Singleton tracks (hello Chalky) in full.

Ian had told me he was also playing some cheap 45s by The Moments ('Key To My Happiness'), Lattimore ('Jolie'), Tommy Tate ('Are You Man Enough') and others by Melba Moore, Impact, etc.

'Wrong Side Of Town' and 'This Time I'm Loving You' both sounded particularly good on radio. 'Out Of The Shadows' by Davena Edwards and 'Nothing But Good Times' by Tommy Hunt also sounded strong.

Also nice to hear a tribute to Ian's recently deceased friend and collaborator Clive Scott.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I missed the first hour so I'll have to catch up later. I'm still looking forward to hearing the James Lovejoy and Margie Singleton tracks (hello Chalky) in full.

Ian had told me he was also playing some cheap 45s by The Moments ('Key To My Happiness'), Lattimore ('Jolie'), Tommy Tate ('Are You Man Enough') and others by Melba Moore, Impact, etc.

'Wrong Side Of Town' and 'This Time I'm Loving You' both sounded particularly good on radio. 'Out Of The Shadows' by Davena Edwards and 'Nothing But Good Times' by Tommy Hunt also sounded strong.

Also nice to hear a tribute to Ian's recently deceased friend and collaborator Clive Scott.

Paul

NOT IN THIS LIFE SUNSHINE :)

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

That was, genuinely, two very well spent hours - I totally recommend listening to it again from the BBC webshite if you missed it.

Edited by SteveSnow
Social source share

I listened and if there is still any confusion Charades was first 45 and Moments "Key to..." was inbetween Martha Starr and Soulsations.

Wasn't keen on James Lovejoy sorry or that Latimore 45 which was a bit dull I thought. Rest were very enjoyable. I'd imagine people will be snapping up that "Smile awhile" by Impact whilst it's still cheap.

However when I think of Ian as a dj I remember him as ahead of the pack. I think that spot puts him squarely in with the pack. Don't know if Ian himself would be happy with that or what.

Missed last hour to watch "The Mist"

ROD

Social source share

I listened and if there is still any confusion Charades was first 45 and Moments "Key to..." was inbetween Martha Starr and Soulsations.

Wasn't keen on James Lovejoy sorry or that Latimore 45 which was a bit dull I thought. Rest were very enjoyable. I'd imagine people will be snapping up that "Smile awhile" by Impact whilst it's still cheap.

However when I think of Ian as a dj I remember him as ahead of the pack. I think that spot puts him squarely in with the pack. Don't know if Ian himself would be happy with that or what.

ROD

You are correct mate..I tuned in at just as he played the Tommy Tate Records, his first record was The Charades.

Social source share

You are correct mate..I tuned in at just as he played the Tommy Tate Records, his first record was The Charades.

Despite a certain faction desperately wanting it to be otherwise , it would appear that the show has been given the seal of approval in respect of credibility , by those SS members who listened purely and simply for the music , and more so , who listened to it without predudice .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

ROD

That's what I thought, Rod. Nice enough tunes and I found myself humming along in places, but it had a bit of a 'yaaawn very last year' feel to it, then some comedy value when the Chaz and Dave James Lovjoy came on and then when his new productions came on it was a bit 'yuk that's not funny' and I had to turn it off after an hour.

It's amazing how you can tell the vinyl carvers from the OG vinyl, even over iplayer, how muddy did they sound?! :wanker:

Did it improve in the second hour? Worth listening to?

Social source share

can anyone give me some information about the track Mr Levine played about 9-55pm by the Origonals?

dont stop now off the 'portrait of the Originals' LP - should be pretty easy to get hold of

'i'll wait for you' is off the same LP even better IMO

Social source share

That's what I thought, Rod. Nice enough tunes and I found myself humming along in places, but it had a bit of a 'yaaawn very last year' feel to it, then some comedy value when the Chaz and Dave James Lovjoy came on and then when his new productions came on it was a bit 'yuk that's not funny' and I had to turn it off after an hour.

It's amazing how you can tell the vinyl carvers from the OG vinyl, even over iplayer, how muddy did they sound?! :wanker:

Did it improve in the second hour? Worth listening to?

I didn't know he played any carvers for sure but when listening I did think the Parliaments sounded muffled compared to rest of playlist. Was it a carver then James?

And Margie Singleton Ian said was unreleased and yet on a previous thread I think you and Chalky said you'd been playing it or at least already knew it. Is it unreleased?

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share