Saturday All-dayers

6 o clock sataday morning at cleethorps,i found my self round kev and chantels pad talking b*****ks as one does.I was telling them about the Fareham alldayer, (sat sep 3rd a sure sell out) and we all agreed that in this 21st centurey of soul its about time we had a look at the structure of this of this hallowed scene.We all started (We meaning myself chantel and kev,but most of you would have gone down the same path.)15 /16 yrs old allnighters were afront runner on the northern scene and being spring chicks these were a piece of piss.But 30yrs on its about time the promoters took on board our wiery tierd legs and and started more sataday alldayers.As i said they were fine in the hayday,but do we really need to feel shit on a sunday just for loving soul music.Its not as if we cant dance when the sun is out.Its just logical getting up on a sataday morning do a few things ,start the alldayer at 2or 3 end at 2ish then go to bed easy peezy. I asked this to many at the weekender and 9 out 10 agreed with me, it might even give us afew extra years before our bodies pack up.would like to hear your comments on this. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENCE. paul letchworth.

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Paul

No offence mate, but if you wanna be tucked up in bed early on Saturday nights with a hot milky drink, your on the wrong scene, even as a silly old bugger I still wanna feel a little cutting edge & slightly unique. Sure, there's room for all kinds of promotions & if this is your bag, go ahead mate, knock yourself out, but I reckon I've got a few more years of self - abuse & being up all night left in me yet.

What's the world of Rare Soul coming to, I can hear the likes of Pete Lawson spinning in thier grave. I can listen to the sounds any time I like at home, but you can never recreate the sheer atmosphere of a good all-nighter & haring across the length & breadth of the country to do it is all part of the excitement, yes, excitement, remember that, the fact that the rest of the world (mostly) are tucked up asleep having had thier milky drinks, makes it all that much more enjoyable...................if Saturday All-Dayers were all I had to look forward to I think I will die laughing now.

Its not just about listening to the sounds, its were your listening to them & who with that counts too....................................hey, I know, lets have a Saturday NS tea dance..........now that would be nice & sedate wouldn't it.............be carefeful tho' you dont want to consume too much of that nasty cafeine & be careful with the talc, you might fall & hurt yourself.............................lets get a grip shall we, up all-night is were its at & were it should stay IMVHO.

Old, but not dead yet

Russ

Social source share

6 o clock sataday morning at cleethorps,i found my self round kev and chantels pad talking b*****ks as one does.I was telling them about the Fareham alldayer,  (sat sep 3rd a sure sell out) and we all agreed that in this 21st centurey of soul its about time we had a look at the structure of this of this hallowed scene.We all started (We meaning myself chantel and kev,but most of you would have gone down the same path.)15 /16 yrs old allnighters were afront runner on the northern scene and being spring chicks these were a piece of piss.But 30yrs on its about time the promoters took on board our wiery tierd legs and and started more sataday alldayers.As i said they were fine in the hayday,but do we really need to feel shit on a sunday just for loving soul music.Its not as if we cant dance when the sun is out.Its just logical getting up on a sataday morning do a few things ,start the alldayer at 2or 3 end at 2ish then go to bed easy peezy. I asked this to many at the weekender and 9 out 10 agreed with me, it might even give us afew extra years before our bodies pack up.would like to hear your comments on this. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENCE. paul letchworth.

link

To be honest mate it does'nt bother me one jot if its all day or all night, just feel that from where I live to get to a decent allniter takes about 5 hours car journey, then on all night and then drive home, so Sunday is just spent sleeping or moping around then feeling totally shit on the Monday at work, so from my point of view alldayers would suit me but lets not forget that its allnighters that are the biggest draw on the scene, even to this day

Social source share

To be honest mate it does'nt bother me one jot if its all day or all night, just feel that from where I live to get to a decent allniter takes about 5 hours car journey, then on all night and then drive home, so Sunday is just spent sleeping or moping around then feeling totally shit on the Monday at work, so from my point of view alldayers would suit me but lets not forget that its allnighters that are the biggest draw on the scene, even to this day

link

Having lived down souf for over 20 yrs, 5 hours is about right (other than the 100 Club of course) for a Saturday nights road trip.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Alldayers no matter how good will never replace a good allniter,alldayers just a waste of good gear :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

what ever bigsoul man ,do you think we dont like music.As for the mugs comment

there must be a lot out there,personal choice would,nt you agree.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Ive no doubt mak they are good events,in the late 70s i loved the ritz and bellvue alldayers,just prefer niters thats all and dont think a dayer no matter how good compares to a niter imho :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Ive no doubt mak they are good events,in the late 70s i loved the ritz and bellvue alldayers,just prefer niters thats all and dont think a dayer no matter how good compares to a niter imho  :thumbsup: .

link

Gotta agree with Andy on this point (and I don't do gear)

Alldayers have always seemed to be a poor substitute in my view.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Poor substitute or not last Decembers Scotland vs. England all-dayer in Edinburgh was a superb day and I can't wait for the next round on 23rd July!!  :thumbsup:   :(

link

There will always be an exception to the rule Chalky, maybe I should have stated 'on the whole' Alldayers are a poor substitute for nighters. :)

Edited by Mace
Social source share

There will always be an exception to the rule Chalky, maybe I should have stated 'on the whole' Alldayers are a poor substitute for nighters. :)

link

I agree with every thing you said for once Mace :thumbsup: It's usually only the exception to the rule that grabs my attention as far as all-dayers go.

Social source share

The whole scene was about the All-Night sessions & we really would be abandoning the basics for them not to be the heart of our scene in the 21st Century.

I've been to some banging Dayers & some great Soul nights too, but to me & many others its got to be about an All-Nighter.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Kolla

In my experience, you go to the trouble of putting on an all-dayer, say starting at midday but no-one can be arsed to get to the venue till 5 or 6 so you're playing to an empty pub for half of it (well apart from the regulars who are wondering why their sky football ain't on).

A friend of ours has tried hosting both Saturday and Sunday all-dayers in London over the last couple of years but they just haven't taken off at all. This year he put on the exact same DJ line-up on a Friday night and the venue was packed to the rafters. Speaks for itself really...

I'm going to contradict myself now...

As many on here can testify (Karen B, Taff...) the Southgate "This Thing of Ours" all-dayer's run by Randy for 16 odd years were far better than many all-nighters. Starting at noon, you had NO choice but to turn up at the start firstly because you didn't want to miss his deep-soul spot and secondly because you know he'd be in a huff if you didn't. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I've never really been able to get into all-dayers except the aforementioned legendary Southgate extravaganzas. It was true that if your arrival was not as near to lunchtime as possible, you were severely reprimanded by he who must be obeyed! It was always a sight to be seen as you pulled up outside, with shoppers trying to negotiate their pushchairs round the people spilling out onto the street, and dancing on pub tables with their tops off........the boys anyway!

Social source share

Personnal choice I think on this subject........However none of us are getting any younger, sooner or later somethings got to give. Can we still be up for doing allnighters when we're in our 60's and 70's ? Just enjoy them while you can, I think eventually all dayers will gradually become the more sensible option.

Social source share

Personnal choice I think on this subject........However none of us are getting any younger, sooner or later somethings got to give.  Can we still be up for doing allnighters when we're in our 60's and 70's ?  Just enjoy them while you can, I think eventually all dayers will gradually become the more sensible option.

link

We have an all-dayer that might SUIT YOU SIR, Cabaret Club Fletcher gate Nottingham bank Holiday Sunday 28th August 2005 starting at 4pm til Midnight (or maybe 2am) no work in the morning and a hotel deal 100yards away !!

top floor is oldies and motown based with RICHIE PITTS live on stage

but DOWNSTAIRS is the one to watch Adam ,Cliff Steele, tats Chris Forrest & Andy Whitmore free to play those tasty sounds ! have a look at the events page :huh:

Social source share

Guest Trifle

Some opinionated views as ever. :huh:

I'll add mine.

Agree with Veggie on the allnighter thing. I got to bed at an early 4am on Sunday morning after a 1amish finish time.

Sunday did not exist and I felt guilty for not doing anything worthwhile with my young'un. :(

Struggling to concentrate at work today (hence being on here).

Compromise may be the answer ... Alldayers that start at 6pm and end at 3am?

:huh:

I had my 'out every night, falling asleep at work and getting a kick out of the whole thing' in my 20s. Don't really need to feel like I'm doing something naughty nowadays (I find that in other ways :yes: ).

Don't need or want to do drugs ... I am on a natural high at soul DOs and want to experience them for what they are, not what I "think" they are (but that's a whole nother debate wink.gif ).

Don't know how old you are Russ, or what your responsibilities at home are, but I don't think you represent the majority on this subject. Just my opinion, nothing personal. You are a lucky boy if you can do allniters regularly without it having a detrimental affect on the other areas of your life.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert