Chucking The Towel In

Dear Marge

Bit of advice needed,if you feel like giving it.

After being told that folks were fed up of hearing the Same Old ,me and Ste started a small night of our own,trying to play something different and invited guests along of the same frame of mind.

we've been going for a little over a year and are still being asked to

" play something we know"

"have you got the Snake"

not being complete fascists we play 'em when we got 'em but my mate is getting a lot pissed off and thinks we should say f*ck it buy a box of Stadust and join the herd.

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Dear Marge

After being told that folks were fed up of hearing the Same Old ,me and Ste started a small night of our own,trying to play something different and invited guests along of the same frame of mind.

"have you got the Snake"

not being complete fascists we play 'em when we got 'em but my mate is getting a lot pissed off and thinks we should say f*ck it buy a box of Stadust and join the herd.

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

Stick with it mate. wicked.gif

Play as you advertise and the punter cannot really complain.

Other than that, start a seperate night to cater for the commercial side of things.

One thing though, no matter how good the venue, the DJs, the sound system, the advertising, the dancefloor, the toilets, the beer prices etc........someone will always moan. :P

Social source share

The saying "you cannot please all of the people all of the time" is certainly one that applies to our scene.

You only have to read some of the topics on here to realise that if you put 20 soulies in a room they would start an argument on the merits of small or large ice cubes in the drinks.

The only thing you can ask yourself is whether the irritation you feel playing some requests is outweighing the enjoyment you get playing the records the majority who attend want to hear.

If it is give up. If not carry on.

I realise that as I am not a promoter it is easy for me to say.

I do have a lot of admiration for anyone who puts themselves out to try and bring something new to the scene.

Social source share

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

Keep going Tony you are up against Prestwich so if they want the same old they can get it 10 minutes down the road. We need a bit of variety.

Encouraging of Blackpool lol

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

No surrender mate. :angry:

Give them some oldies, quality ones, but don't give in to this. Usually this stuff comes from pretty ignorant people, they shouldn't be allowed to dictate the musical direction of a club unless that is your target audience. Forget Stardust, you can get all the tracks you will need on CD anyway. wicked.gif

I get asked for Right Track at least three times every time I DJ but I think that might be something to do with what I once said about it on this site. :P

Social source share

No surrender mate.  :angry:

Give them some oldies, quality ones, but don't give in to this. Usually this stuff comes from pretty ignorant people, they shouldn't be allowed to dictate the musical direction of a club unless that is your target audience.  Forget Stardust, you can get all the tracks you will need on CD anyway. wicked.gif

I get asked for Right Track at least three times every time I DJ but I think that might be something to do with what I once said about it on this site. :P

link

:D:D:P:D:D:D:(

Social source share

Guest remus

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

When these morons ask you for these records, ask them"Have you got it"?, when they reply "Yes" say to them "Well f**k of home and play it"............

Try adding a note on the fyler saying, "Anybody asking for requests will be removed from the premises".........Job Done wicked.gif

Social source share

When these morons ask you for these records, ask them"Have you got it"?, when they reply "Yes" say to them "Well f**k of home and play it"............

Try adding a note on the fyler saying, "Anybody asking for requests will be removed from the premises".........Job Done wicked.gif

link

PMSL :D:P:D:D

Tony

Social source share

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

carry on

just do as i do if i get asked for something like that i just say no if it says on the flyer what the night is then tough as someone else said they can go to prestwich or other oldies nights for those sort of records (or stick a load of oldies of that ilk on a cd and if someone asks for the snake give them the cd and say here listen to it on your way home)

mark

Social source share

Hang in there mate , I get the same thing at work. When ever ''THE NIGHT'' or ''THERES A GHOST IN MY HOUSE'' comes on the radio (BBC2) I get morons shouting at me '' MUSIC MAK A BIT OF NORTHERN EH'' It gets right up my shonker wicked.gif .

Suppose it all goe's way back when jocks were ramming that shit out the speakers to fill the floors, if these people are so narrow minded and suffer from tunnel vision then maybe they should stop in and listen to radio 2

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Social source share

Keep going Tony you are up against Prestwich so if they want the same old they can get it 10 minutes down the road. We need a bit of variety.

Encouraging of Blackpool lol

link

'Ere not running the Civic tha knoes,

Smaller venue opposite

Tony

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Having been there and im sure we will be there again mate ... it does get you down... but hang in there at least (unlike many others) your doing something positive for the scene .. are they ????

Marcelle

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I think we're being a bit unfair to civilians here. I also work with a few people with a youth club knowledge of northern, and even one woman who came from Manchester originally, was a modette in her youth and went to the Twisted Wheel in the 60s but she still knows next to nothing. Sometimes we chat about northern and all they know is Wade in the Water and Skiing in the Snow etc.. but it doesn't bother me i'm glad they've heard of it. I always thought part of the attraction of the scene was the 'breed apart' element, our special thing. I'm chuffed that people at work know i'm into soul music and particularly northern soul. The dad of a girl i teach even sent me his favourite top 20, apparently he goes to Half Time Orange occasionally! :P

As for soul nights, aren't they always reliant on locals to make up the numbers and fund the night? Most of these people never travel, or have no interest in the scene apart from the occasional soul night, so their knowledge never develops. They are unfortunately paying and keeping the venue going, so yes always play new stuff but at the end of the day i think you have to keep the locals happy and shouldn't get pissed off if they ask for the same old stuff. It's not really their fault, just make sure they get a bit of an education while it's your spot wicked.gif

Matt

Social source share

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

Hi Tony, your kind of venue is without doubt the future for this scene, the Oldies will have had their fill of nostalgia, and returned to the warmth and comfort of their living rooms long after the ringing of Billy Butler has cleared your ears.

Tell them to Take their "Faith" and put it in the loft with all those memories........

Progressive Soul or Nothing......... wicked.gif

Social source share

i completely agree :huh: ..keep it interesting and different..i aint been out hardly lately cos am sooooooooo fed up of the same old same old :huh: ..keep with it..and hope all goes well for you....

but..

as for the size of ice cubes..its a relevant issue when choosing a venue..but i wouldnt argue about it...just state my opinion :huh:

:huh:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Try adding a note on the fyler saying, "Anybody asking for requests will be removed from the premises".........Job Done :huh:

link

You could always start the Spot in a Guy Hennigan stylie; as heard at the Stafford reunion " You got me for the next hour - taking no prisioners and no F%*ing requests" :huh:

Social source share

Stick with it mate,started promoteing about 3 yrs ago a little one room event in radcliffe playing mainly oldies 3 resident djs one guest,to many oldies they complained.So we moved to the mill at the pier wigan,did a deal with them for 14 niters over 2 years,or so i thought.Things were going pretty well useing 10 djs per nite a nice mix of cutting edge and quality hard to find oldies.You need a modern room they said,ok i said.So at a cost of 900 quid we added the modern room 22 people out of 380 punters actually went into the room,most of the modern djs were to be found danceing the nite away in the main room to mr Dyson Mick H and co.As if that was,nt bad inuf just as we got established the council decide to refurb the building and shut it till may 2007.Next stop sheridans, perfect. Main room the absolute cream of the uks best djs,front room 4 hours of new and up and comeing djs,and 6 hours of modern,in probably the most relaxed club the scene has ever known.So what happens just as it becomes just about the best club in the land,THEY F--KIN SOLD IT.Now we are at middleton civic great venue 3 rooms 24 djs,all genres of soul covered,and the point of this story tony is

DONT GIVE UP PUNTERS WILL MOAN MANEGMENT WILL CLOSE

YOU DOWN BUT DONT GIVE UP,OR THER WILL BE NO SCENE :huh:

Social source share

No surrender mate.  :angry:

Give them some oldies, quality ones, but don't give in to this. Usually this stuff comes from pretty ignorant people, they shouldn't be allowed to dictate the musical direction of a club unless that is your target audience.  Forget Stardust, you can get all the tracks you will need on CD anyway. :huh:

I get asked for Right Track at least three times every time I DJ but I think that might be something to do with what I once said about it on this site. :huh:

link

yes and you never play it, you elitist. Me and Dave are going to stop asking you one day, and then you'll be sorry :huh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Good luck with trying to please everybody mate. Sounds like you are doing a good job, so I wouldnt worry about the requests too much. Most DJs do there best to get some dancefloor action.

This thread has opened up my eyes tho.

I hate those bl00dy ice cubes that are as thin as after eight mints, and keep slipping into the back of your throat when you're not paying enough attention. Make sure the venue only sells proper size ice cubes?? Gosh, there are so many things a promoter has to worry about isnt there.

AND where can you get a proper fruit salad nowadays when you order your Pimms?? Most places offer a token bit of orange or lemon. Where's me salt? where's me cucumber??

Mikey, been out in the sun too long. :huh:

Social source share

Ohh sorry Tony thought it was the Civic. When and where is it I may even get along. I like a bit of progressive stuff meself  :huh:

link

Currently in the Cellar at The Victoria pub over the road.

Last Sunday every month usually from 7 til 12.30, but Bank Holidays til about 2.00.

Guests we've had include

Sid Jones,Killer, Ted Batten, Stevie Z,Paul Harris(off here),Rachel(off here) Tony Mac.

All playing something different than the Same Ole. :huh:

Thanks for the replies, next month is a definate, I'll just have to kick Ste's nads.

Cheers

(Almost) Mr.Happy of Heywood

Social source share

Guest rachel

Tony, from the few hours I saw when I was down, you're doing a great job - I don't think you can enthusiastically promote/play music if you don't believe in it. As others have said if you give people what you advertise then they can't complain!

Stick in there :huh:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

yes and you never play it, you elitist. Me and Dave are going to stop asking  you one day, and then you'll be sorry  :huh:

link

Yes, I'll be really sorry :huh: Can't find a copy anyway. Probably in my parent's loft covered in bat crap. :huh:

Social source share

Tony, from the few hours I saw when I was down, you're doing a great job - I don't think you can enthusiastically promote/play music if you don't believe in it. As others have said if you give people what you advertise then they can't complain!

Stick in there :huh:

link

Thanks Rachel :huh:

Like I've said before, next time you're down here and you want a spot,

I'll give you one.

Tony

Social source share

Thanks Rachel :huh:

Like I've said before, next time you're down here and you want a spot,

I'll give you one.

Tony

link

I once put on a fly sheet ....." Strictly no played out Oldies " so If anyone comes and asks for a " Northern top 100 " track i'd just smile and point at the flyer.

ALWAYS be clear on flyers what your music policy is then there can never be complaints. Likewise it get's up my nose when promoters put " Northern and Motown " on flyers just to get punters through the door, then play " rare".

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Right then after taking your advice on Board we had a night dedicated to pure oldies club classics etc. Advertised it and everything told the oldies brigade "this is for you"

And the F*ckers dint show!!wanker: wanker:

Those that did turn up went away happy though.

Anyway, Sunday 31st, Down in the Cellar-Heywood.

Back to Soul-Back to somefink Different

Tony

Social source share

I think one of the things that is being forgotten on this thead is that a lot of the 'old' records that the people who got into Soul in their 'youth club days' relate to were very, very good. Instantly good. They didn't need to be played several times to become good. They just were good and are good and will always be good. Just like Shakespeare will always be good or Mozart or Miles Davis will always be good.

So it stands to sense I think that if you play them good things that they recognise, they will be happy. If you give them mediocre drivel that just happens to be rare and the only new thing that's available they will obviously not be happy.

What you have to do is give them good oldies. Refuse to play stuff that was always trash. For example do play 'Right Track'. But refuse to play 'Nine Times Out of Ten.' DJs are, and always have been, arbiters of taste. There's nothing wrong with that as long as some dJs get it right. And plenty do. Especially the ones that contribute to this site. Recently, I searched out playlists posted on this site. Sometimes all the records were new to me. But they have since become firm favourites.

The argument that they can play the oldies at home doesn't wash. 'Dances' or 'discos' or 'soul dos' ( let people call them what they like) are shared experiences and different experiences to listening to music at home.

Keep on trying. You might end up feeling good like a mate of mine did 35 years ago. The 'punters' wanted the Supremes. He gave them that and Major Lance and they all Um um umed and Beat it on the way home.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

i reckon you should stick with it, if the place is aplenty with requests for oldies play some nothing wrong with that. After all your job as a dj is to please the paying punter and to find the correct balance. On the bright side, music is a form of brainwashing thats a fact if people come often enough and your clever enough you can twist them round, the simple fact is you are basicly breaking new tunes to an audience with limited knowledge, Now thats what djs dream of is it not so here's your chance stick with it your the man!!!

Social source share

Guest Kolla

I say stick with it too... but there is an alternative.. make yourself completely inaccessible!

When Capitol Soul was at Bar Shoreditch you needed a 12 foot ladder to get up to the DJ box. Seriousy! Me and Jet used to resort to throwing paper aeroplanes up to the guest Djs, with our requests written on the wings . My planes were crap so on 10% ever reach the DJ.

Or - you could buy a perspex DJ booth - pain to get on the roof-rack but keeps the blighters out :rolleyes:

Marge of Tunbridge Wells

Social source share

Dear Marge

"have you got the Snake"

What do you reckon??

Discontented of Heywood

link

Im in the same feeling as you

I Started the Friendship two years ago my aim was to play rarely heard soul sounds from the 60's up to modern.

Didnt have to be expensive just sounds that needed opening up to the massess

Had loads of stick but also a fair bit of of support.

17 months ago I was Joined by billytheboot and weve stuck to our guns.

attendances havent been earth shattering but we do get open minded soul fans in.

that respect what were trying to do.

also I may add we get a load of people who say that our venue is the type of thing thats needed.......... and never support us??????????????????????

If you are an open minded soul fan, try and help the ones that are trying something different because after 2 years and £1000 out of pocket, (equipment flyers and now we dont have a cover charge to try to attract the clientel) it starts to get a little tedious

I love Soul music with a passion but we cant survive on comments of stick with it .

If we threw in the towel Im sure then everyone would belly ache about the demise of progressive venues and all those that dont/didnt attend will say "you should have stuck with it"

we work hard at promoting, but numbers through the door is what counts and it seems that some venues near to me who play CDs and boots of played out oldies are packed....so whats the best policy .... god knows

:rolleyes: Geeooooordie

Social source share

Perhaps you need to visit a clinical psychologist and discuss ‘reward systems’ and Nietzsche’s “will to power” :-)

Why do people put on soul nights? Some for profit (carrot) some for kudos (carrot), some to DJ and get pleasure from playing records they personally like (carrot), some to help address their need to “spread the word” (carrot). The problem comes when to the ‘stick’ reaches to same level as the ‘carrot’ or indeed, more. Granted, there may be the odd psychopath who gets pleasure from sitting at home setting fire to £20 notes as they spin their sounds, but for most sane people there comes a point where their losses (time, money etc) out way any benefits. Parallel to the human, emotional side of things is the basic premise of the economics of “supply & demand”; if people want an evening of the standard oldies format they will pursue it with their cash, travelling & attendances. Vis- -vis, if there’s no demand for new, alternative, underplayed, obscure, whatever you want to call the stuff, people will not be interested even if you went around their house with a mobile disco and set up shop in their kitchen! For what ever reason you decide to continue with your soul night, perhaps you should think about exactly what the market is and your recompense (whatever that might be) is? Anyway, the market Cleethorpes, Prestatyn etc, is a shrinking one, just depends on the speed of exponential decay, that can’t increase, despite people desire to repeat the event every weekend. The ultimate outcome might be as bizarre as a do where there’s just you and your best mates (SS member, of course!)

Social source share

I agree very much with what Billy Freemantle has to say. I really believe that a "well-placed" oldie of high quality every so often is nice. Having variety of GOOD stuff is the key. I honestly believe that if you announce exactly what you do and play progressive sounds that the right people will show up. It may take months, but if you stick with it, it can happen. In my ideal world, I'd love to hear some things that I've never heard every hour, alongside some good oldies every so often.

I would hope when a buzz is created by the talk of the smarter folks that appreciate progressive sounds, the punters could very well follow suit. Even a good group of guys and gals on this site alone can create a buzz. There are some people on this site who have great musical taste, so if they could round up some like minded folks...

You're all so lucky that you have enough interest to even do these nights. In the states, you can't pull this off. Crossover is virtually impossible, too. When I lived in Baltimore, I had access to Subway Soul Club every month in NYC. I never went-even considering the fact I would always be in town that very day for a record fair. I could have easily gone but I knew there wouldn't be a great amount of northern being played. Maybe a few oldies here and there probably being played from CDs. The majority would be what I call "workout" records (borrowing that phrase from Greg Surek). Boogaloo 25 Corners Shingaling parts 3 4 and 5 by the Funky Junky Soul Brothers Band. Leaves me cold. SCREW THAT! If it would have been quality northern soul, I would have been there...every month-every year.

What's my point? Point is-if you've got something really good going on, do your best to keep it going. The right people will catch on and make your night what you envisioned. They'll be willing to travel I would think. If the NYC thing would have been up to standard-I would have gone the distance no problem. The true fans of what you do should make it out to your gig. I can only hope it would be financially viable for you because too many times in Baltimore, I've had to suffer with poor attendance for trying to do things my way. I've even got up and said f-you! and walked out and left no music playing. It's my way or the highway!

Stick to your guns and play what you want. If you don't is it really worth doing? Then you're a jukebox.

Hope it works out for you and never ever play the Snake!

KTF

Jas, (speaking respectfully from the US. Hope I'm not speaking too far out of my element, not being from the UK)

Best of luck!

Social source share

Perhaps you need to visit a clinical psychologist and discuss 'reward systems'  and Nietzsche's "will to power" :-)

Why do people put on soul nights? Some for profit (carrot) some for kudos (carrot), some to DJ and get pleasure from playing records they personally like (carrot), some to help address their need to "spread the word" (carrot). The problem comes when to the 'stick' reaches to same level as the 'carrot' or indeed, more. Granted, there may be the odd psychopath who gets pleasure from sitting  at home setting fire to £20 notes as they spin their sounds, but for most sane people there comes a point where their losses (time, money etc) out way any benefits. Parallel to the human, emotional side of things is the basic premise of the economics of "supply & demand"; if people want an evening of the standard oldies format they will pursue it with their cash, travelling & attendances. Vis- -vis, if there's no demand for new, alternative, underplayed, obscure, whatever you want to call the stuff, people will not be interested even if you went around their house with a mobile disco and set up shop in their kitchen! For what ever reason you decide to continue with your soul night, perhaps you should think about exactly what the market is and your recompense (whatever that might be) is? Anyway, the market Cleethorpes, Prestatyn etc, is a shrinking one, just depends on the speed of exponential decay, that can't increase, despite people desire to repeat the event every weekend. The ultimate outcome might be as bizarre as a do where there's just you and your best mates (SS member, of course!)

link

Firstly you condesending git Im not a Physco, secondly we did it because of people requesting "somthing different and then they rarely show up but when they do Gush about how good and fresh and forward thinking we are and add "see you next time" ..guess what you dont for 5 months so you keep on plugging we enjoy what were doing and if we are out of pocket its up to us to determine when the bank balance cant stand it any longer.

No we dont do it for profit, no its not for Kudos either anyone whos been know that its a great social night of once a month when we get to see our mates & that good progressive soulies can enjoy..

whats the carrot shit anyway...

by the way how much do you swill down the loo after vomiting up and lining mr john smith or Joshua tetley pockets...I dont drink therefore my spends are the venue....

But if it got to the point that there wasnt enough bodies to justify the elecric bill for the room im sure the landlord would tell us to shove it

Geeoooorrdie

Social source share

I agree very much with what Billy Freemantle has to say. I really believe that a "well-placed" oldie of high quality every so often is nice. Having variety of GOOD stuff is the key. I honestly believe that if you announce exactly what you do and play progressive sounds that the right people will show up. It may take months, but if you stick with it, it can happen. In my ideal world, I'd love to hear some things that I've never heard every hour, alongside some good oldies every so often.

I would hope when a buzz is created by the talk of the smarter folks that appreciate progressive sounds, the punters could very well follow suit. Even a good group of guys and gals on this site alone can create a buzz. There are some people on this site who have great musical taste, so if they could round up some like minded folks...

You're all so lucky that you have enough interest to even do these nights. In the states, you can't pull this off. Crossover is virtually impossible, too. When I lived in Baltimore, I had access to Subway Soul Club every month in NYC. I never went-even considering the fact I would always be in town that very day for a record fair. I could have easily gone but I knew there wouldn't be a great amount of northern being played. Maybe a few oldies here and there probably being played from CDs. The majority would be what I call "workout" records (borrowing that phrase from Greg Surek). Boogaloo 25 Corners Shingaling parts 3 4 and 5 by the Funky Junky Soul Brothers Band. Leaves me cold. SCREW THAT! If it would have been quality northern soul, I would have been there...every month-every year.

What's my point? Point is-if you've got something really good going on, do your best to keep it going. The right people will catch on and make your night what you envisioned. They'll be willing to travel I would think. If the NYC thing would have been up to standard-I would have gone the distance no problem. The true fans of what you do should make it out to your gig. I can only hope it would be financially viable for you because too many times in Baltimore, I've had to suffer with poor attendance for trying to do things my way. I've even got up and said f-you! and walked out and left no music playing. It's my way or the highway!

Stick to your guns and play what you want. If you don't is it really worth doing? Then you're a jukebox.

Hope it works out for you and never ever play the Snake!

KTF

Jas, (speaking respectfully from the US. Hope I'm not speaking too far out of my element, not being from the UK)

Best of luck!

link

I agree

:huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert