Bishops Wood Allnighter

Bishops Wood.

What do you want from an allnighter ? Well I have certain things that need to be rigfht for a niter to be a good one, here's what I thought about last night

The Venue itself: Great layout, could have been designed for an allnighter, mostly dancefloor, with tables and chairs tro the side, a separate bar area with the lights on for the record dealers.

The attendance: Good, good crowd. Not only was it busy, but it was the right people. Plenty from the North, Lancs, and Yorks, plenty from the South, topped up with some of the Midlands top people.

The bar: Reasonable priced, excellently kept Marston's Pedigree. Apparently they ran out of lager. So ?????

The dancefloor: Well, as you know, I'm not a dancer these days, but when I arrived at the venue before the niter started, you could smell the floor polish on the floor. I spoke to a couple of people (Trevor from Hinckley for one, who was on the floor at 9.01pm) and they all said it was a great dancefloor.

The DJs: Rather than just say they were great, here's a run down on each spot.

Col & Gaye Kidson - Perhaps a lttle unfair lumping them together, but they covered the first couple of hours between thenm, and played a really nice mixture of uptempo, midtempo (especially Gaye), Oldies , arre, unknowns.

John Manship - Ranged from the rare, to the very rare, to the "Bloody hell, I've never seen one of those before !!!!"

Larry Mac - My favourite spot of the night. I know Larry was a little worried about following John, but when he put his first record on, and doubled the number of people on the dancefloor it was obvious that he was going to do the business. I thought Larry came of age last night. He went from a Soul night DJ, and a 'DJ who got a spot because he was the promoter', to a proper allnighter DJ. It was a superb spot, the best I've ever heard him play. He played a faultless spot. Well done that man.

Molly - In football terms, a late signing because Ted Massey was suspended. Came on, played a blinder and scored the winning goal. Really good mixture of Sixties and Seventies that did the business.

Maria Willingham - Need I say more ! Never has a woman DJ played her husband's records better than this (It's a joke !!!!!!!) Another faultless hour.

Dave Welding - Nothing less than expected, rare, Sixties, Seventies, dancefloor fillers every one.

John Weston - It was a game of two halves for John, Brookfields first, thehn Bishops Wood. I didn't hear the Brookfields spot but the Bishops Wood one had me gritting my teeth thinking "Barsteward, I want one of these" on several occasions.

Rob Savetz - I'd never heard Rob DJ before, but what a great spot to finish the night off. It was however in one way the most disappointing spot of the night for me, because Rob has just bought one of my top wants, Jimmy Andrews - Big City Playboy, but it hasn't arrived yet, so he couldn't play it !

Boxes ticked: Every single one ! I had a great time, and didn't hear one single moan from anyone I spoke to. The next one is the 26th September. Be there...........

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great review Dave you've said it all really, i did notice the Pedigree was going rather well with you:laugh: no wonder the lager ran dry with birthday boy Kenny Onions finishing off his birthday week in style:beer:

Great music, great venue and loads of great people from all over the country. Bishops Wood delivered the goods last night well done to all involvedthumbsup.gif

Louise

Bishops Wood.

What do you want from an allnighter ? Well I have certain things that need to be rigfht for a niter to be a good one, here's what I thought about last night

The Venue itself: Great layout, could have been designed for an allnighter, mostly dancefloor, with tables and chairs tro the side, a separate bar area with the lights on for the record dealers.

The attendance: Good, good crowd. Not only was it busy, but it was the right people. Plenty from the North, Lancs, and Yorks, plenty from the South, topped up with some of the Midlands top people.

The bar: Reasonable priced, excellently kept Marston's Pedigree. Apparently they ran out of lager. So ?????

The dancefloor: Well, as you know, I'm not a dancer these days, but when I arrived at the venue before the niter started, you could smell the floor polish on the floor. I spoke to a couple of people (Trevor from Hinckley for one, who was on the floor at 9.01pm) and they all said it was a great dancefloor.

Col & Gaye Kidson - Perhaps a lttle unfair lumping them together, but they covered the first couple of hours between thenm, and played a really nice mixture of uptempo, midtempo (especially Gaye), Oldies , arre, unknowns.

John Manship - Ranged from the rare, to the very rare, to the "Bloody hell, I've never seen one of those before !!!!"

Larry Mac - My favourite spot of the night. I know Larry was a little worried about following John, but when he put his first record on, and doubled the number of people on the dancefloor it was obvious that he was going to do the business. I thought Larry came of age last night. He went from a Soul night DJ, and a 'DJ who got a spot because he was the promoter', to a proper allnighter DJ. It was a superb spot, the best I've ever heard him play. He played a faultless spot. Well done that man.

Molly - In football terms, a late signing because Ted Massey was suspended. Came on, played a blinder and scored the winning goal. Really good mixture of Sixties and Seventies that did the business.

Maria Willingham - Need I say more ! Never has a woman DJ played her husband's records better than this (It's a joke !!!!!!!) Another faultless hour.

Dave Welding - Nothing less than expected, rare, Sixties, Seventies, dancefloor fillers every one.

John Weston - It was a game of two halves for John, Brookfields first, thehn Bishops Wood. I didn't hear the Brookfields spot but the Bishops Wood one had me gritting my teeth thinking "Barsteward, I want one of these" on several occasions.

Rob Savetz - I'd never heard Rob DJ before, but what a great spot to finish the night off. It was however in one way the most disappointing spot of the night for me, because Rob has just bought one of my top wants, Jimmy Andrews - Big City Playboy, but it hasn't arrived yet, so he couldn't play it !

Boxes ticked: Every single one ! I had a great time, and didn't hear one single moan from anyone I spoke to. The next one is the 26th September. Be there...........

I agree a great night, all on good form!!! :tumbleweed3:

After not being able to make it to Burnley on Friday we thought we had a weekend of staying in to look forward to.

But thanks to a little present from my mum dropping on the doormat first thing Saturday morning we were able to take Carl & Maria up on their offer of a lift down to Bishops Wood.

First time for us, and I have to say we really enjoyed it.

I loved the venue, just the right size imo, with a real 'niter friendly' lay out.

The dance floor was full all night. And the music was good too, with some great tunes played by all DJ's.

Stuff like Chico Lamarr, Changing Scene and JJ Barnes courtesy of John Manship. The Parliaments and a vast array of unissued tracks from Carl & Maria. The Celebrities, Magnetics and the awesome Four Dynamics from Dave Welding (I can only dream of one day owning a record as good as this!)

And surprise tune of the night for me, the Camero's, compliments of John Weston :D

There was also the added bonus of loads of great people in attendance, too many to mention, but each one adding to a truly memorable night.

GREAT STUFF :thumbsup:

Bishops Wood.

Sorry about not having Jimmy Andrews to hand Dave.Believe me I was as disappointed as you were when the postman arrived empty -handed Saturday morning!Ah well play it for you when I next get the chance. Probably be the only record I play though.Its made a big hole in my collection and my pocket! Got to start catching the bus now!

While I am on here I would like to thank EVERYONE for giving me the chance to play some tunes out of the box before they gather any more dust especially Col and Larry and Gaye . Great people without a doubt.This niter can only get better no other way for it really. A place with a smile in every direction!!!

Best

ROBthumbsup.gif

Best

ROB

BUGGER

A great night and Pedi too thumbsup.gif , will have to make sure I make it to the next one and that it isnt my turn to drive no.gif

Good summary Mr Rimmer sir, pity we cant get a summary like this for every niter wicked.gif

Guest sandi

I really did'nt want to go out last night due to feeling a bit under the wearther lately, but l'm glad l made the effort and went along to support this venue, it is probably the top venue in the west mids after life line, offering an array of fantastic soul music catering all tastes, no same old same old here, keep it up guy's.

Like already been mentioned by Mr Rimmer the night just flowed with D.J.'s delivering the goods, l must mention however l think Dave Welding played the best spot of the night in my humble opinion, He was absolutely fantastic, I'm not saying the other D.J.'s did'nt, but as "Genre's" differ, he hit all the right cords for me.

Thankyou to Molly For playing Luther Vandross "Dont want to be a fool" for Paul and l, his way of congratulating us on our recent engagement.

Also big thankyou to Mr Johnny Fingers for my early B/Day present......a record l've been looking for for ages now, and one of my favorites. What a lovely genuine guy and friend he is.

Looking forward to the next one.

Sandi

Guest MOLLY

What can I say that has not already been said ? Not a lot really, this really was a top night musically and socially. One of the most friendliest allnighters i've been to in a long while. All you could see all night long was smiling faces having a good time in the record bar and on the dance floor.

Many thanks to Col and Larry and all involved at Bishops Wood for asking me to step in at short notice for Ted. I really did get a good buzz from DJing to a very appreciative crowd, who were a credit and kept their minds open all night long to the quality of Soul music on offer.

From the moment Lorraine, Toby, Melvyn, Tony and I arrived we knew we were in for a good night. All the guest DJ's played choons I had never heard before, alongside current biggies and top notch oldies and 70's & 80's anthems. Well done everyone who attended last night and spread the word about this excellent allnighter that Dave Rimmer rightly said " definitely ticked all the boxes".

Even two local lads who I was talking to outside said "what a breath of fresh air the night was, and that they have never seen anything like it before. And also touched on how friendly everyone had been since they arrived". Credit again to everyone thumbup.gif

Col, Larry and Gaye keep on doing what your doing, coz your definitely doing things right,

Best

Molly

P.S Apologies go to Col who at about 4am banned me from Bishops Wood and marched me outside to move my car, which was blocking the entrance tongue.gif car moved and ban lifted at about 4:05am.

Edited by MOLLY

great niter ,cant fault the music, and with that line, what more could you expect, although I only danced once, I noticed the dancefloor was busy rite up until we went home, which is always a great sign, the peeps last nite where well up for it, a really good mixed crowd, who all made the effort, and all seemed to enjoy them selves thoroughly, I would think bishops wood niters are now well and truly on the map, and long may it continue,and what makes it all the more better, is it only takes half an hour to get there or back, which means we can go earlier and stay later,only the next time, I AINT DRIVING!!!!! :thumbsup:

Much of what i had in mind to mention, has already been written, but as ever a great night, with good music, great people and a relaxed atmosphere, that makes this venue such a joy.

I caught segments of all the spots, and there were loads of goodies, Mr. Manship was superb, i last heard him play at a Neil Rushton night, somewhere in Rugeley(a hotel or pub named after a tree if i remember correctly, possibly the Limes or Chestnut). With Chico Lamarr really hitting the spot, followed by a great set. But i must say that personally it was my old mucker Dave (ernie) Welding, who did it for me, Al Mason had me scurrying in from the car, Melvin Moore followed by Charles Mintz, and i was well away.

Some nice stuff(records) for sale, including a few that meant with my financial status all i could do was look on with the knowledge, that an enquiry as to prices, was not an option, there are so many i once had that i accept will never come through the door again, but still the memories eh!!

There were 2 right characters on the door, with Smokey on top form, and as entertaining as ever!

We had a great morning with Mr. Fingers, back to Sandi's for, great chat and fantastic music from both ours and his boxes, and the chance to getr a few tunes at the right price.

With the agreement of Gaye, 'Laine, Col and Larry, we have booked the venue for next year, so expect a post wedding all nighter, next September, the ceremony date to be finalised early Sept.

Keep it up you 4 see you next time

Harpo 'n' Sandi xx

Once again a big big thanks to all of those that came, which without your support we would not be up and running.

To all those who travel from around the UK I hope the journey was well worth it, as your recommedation spreads the word, but is also an indicator of this growing venues success and the unforseen effort which goes in to it. This is now coming together, by the DJ line up going forward and by those who have been with us since the opening Oct 2007.... Many thanks

The guest DJ's on the night were on form again and the music was top draw!! Your right Dave, those record "Wants" just get bigger and bigger. I must thank you for your compliment, as this was the first time I could be let loose at midnight on a Nighter, cause we always do the opening hours. I know Col had a big smirk, when he said "John wanted an early spot due to a long day out and you can follow him" ha ha ha!

On one hand I thought great, a later spot than normal, which I can unleash a few of what I got in my box and on the other I though "Fook me Col thanks mate, I bet you were laughing your nuts off at that" Which he then gave me more inspiration on the stage, when he came up and said "Now you got to follow Johns set" ha ha ha Which incidently Johns last record was only the (correct me if I'm wrong) 2nd one to turn up in 30-35years - RARE or what!!! ... I think after Dave's comments I did the business and it is taken as a honour, cause Dave says it and sees it as it is!!

So, after what was a very long day and night, it was off to bed!!!

INFO - A Bag was left outside and was handed in to me, so whose ever it is, please get in contact on my mobile no. 07801722220

Next soul night at Bishops Wood is Fri 7th August - DJ's - Paul C and Gary Holyman and the next All Nighter is Saturday 26th September - DJ Line Up to be announced soon!!!

great niter ,cant fault the music, and with that line, what more could you expect, although I only danced once, I noticed the dancefloor was busy rite up until we went home, which is always a great sign, the peeps last nite where well up for it, a really good mixed crowd, who all made the effort, and all seemed to enjoy them selves thoroughly, I would think bishops wood niters are now well and truly on the map, and long may it continue,and what makes it all the more better, is it only takes half an hour to get there or back, which means we can go earlier and stay later,only the next time, I AINT DRIVING!!!!! :wicked:

Looks like i missed a good night.

Why is it every time i stay in because i feel unwell Dave comes home and tells me he's had a brilliant night :lol: do you think he's trying to tell me something :lol: LOL, but don't worry Lou, next time i'll drive :ohmy: .

Guest gouldensoul

What a Spiffing evening. Lots Of Jolly Japes AND wheezes.shhh.gif

Great to see the odd Valetta, pally glide and military two step.biggrin.gifwhistling.gif

Once Again Yet Another Gold Medal to the gang.king.gif

Keep up the great work.thumbup.gif

BLOODY GOOD PHOTO OF LORD RIMMER COMPLIMENTS OF LOO!!!!!!!!!!innocent.gif

DAVE WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT MATE!!!

The Weekend again and I'm ready for some more $oul Time. This weeks fix would be courtesy of The Bishop's Wood all-nighter, run by that amiable team of $oulster's Larry Mac & Col Kidson along with their ever-reliable Ladies.. Elaine & Gaye. A brilliant line-up of Music Masters for the evening, with one of my personal faves sharing the billing - Ted Massey - and worth the journey alone..

I headed out reasonably early from mine, with the intention being to call in on Harpo & Sandi before then making our way to the 'niter. I pulled into a retail park just off Jct.10/M6 to enter the address details I had into my sat nav - only for them not to be recognised !?! A quick few texts to some fellow Soulies, in an attempt to obtain a telephone number for my initial destination, ..then a waiting game. Lucky for me I had a Burger King in front of me - so decided I might as well take advantage & indulge in a double cheeseburger & fries to help pass the time, & satisfy those hunger pangs before they set in.

After managing to obtain a mobile contact number for Harpo I duly sent a text informing him of my whereabouts & requesting guidance. Then I waited for his response.. And waited.. And waited. Nothing !! After 30 minutes, and a check of the current time, I instead decided I'd take a slow poodle for the 15 miles separating my present position from the venue for tonight's frivolities.

Time: 8.05 pm.. Location: the empty car park of the deserted Village Hall in Bishop's Wood . Well, at least it made a change for me to be early for once !! Although it wasn't too many minutes before a couple of other $oulies arrived along with the promoters.

Dave Rimmer was close behind, arriving as I was doing the 'Flyer run' around the tables in the lounge area. Very soon the bar was open. My bottle of water purchased I opened my 'stall' after finding a suitable table in the dealer's area on which to place my sales box.

It wasn't too long before there were ample bodies about the place & the venue began to fill. With more still to arrive as the evening wore on the atmosphere was well ensconced and another great night at was Bishop's Wood on the cards. And what a Royal Flush it turned out to be.. Some awesome tunes throughout from the assembled DJ line-up.

The two Dave's Rimmer & Welding provided the main record dealer's stalls, with myself and a few individual boxes complimenting the cross-section of $oul music available for purchase & trade.

Besides Mr & Mrs Kidson warming the decks up with some great 45's - with lot's of Gaye's choices leaning very much toward my personal taste.. Early 60's (mainly New York) Soul we had the delight's of John Manship, along with Carl & Maria Willingham offering up some of the planets Classiest, Rarest, $oul music !! With all of it the finest of quality.. Appreciated the playing of The Carpets 45 John.

Dave Welding seemed inspired as he delivered probably the best set I've ever heard from him. The same too with Larry Mac. Despite the pressure of following Mr Manship, Larry had the floor rocking, & the attendees in the palm of his hand. Top marks Mr Mac.. A fine performance !!

Molly & John Weston also had important parts in the success of this 'niter.. With excellent sets from both these long-experienced $pinners of $oul. The 'Cherry on the Icing' came in the form of Rob Savetz.. Top Man (wonderful wife, Elaine), from Newbury, with a superb last 60 minutes - again, a lot of stuff that rocked my personal boat - to send everybody home happy chappies & chappesses - and pencilling the next Bishop's Wood 'niter date in their diaries !!

Now then.. I remember seeing on $.$. - although I obviously didn't pay too close attention - that Molly was added to the DJ line-up.. But WHAT HAPPENED to Ted Massey !?! I hadn't realised that Molly was actually a REPLACEMENT for Ted !!

I heard mumbling amongst The Grapevine along the lines of it being something to do with another promotion !?! But I know Ted is quite meticulous & wouldn't double-book himself unwittingly so I'm left bemused as to exactly WHY he didn't satisfy this booking ????????

I had the great privilege of spending some hours back at Sandi's after the All Nighter along with Harpo. A very welcoming (and very tasty) bacon butty (MUST have me bacon butty after a night out..) and endless cups of coffee (I left my Coffee Mate there !!) along with countless good tunes churning out from the speakers for the duration of my visit. Fantastic company and equally fantastic music from two of the scenes toppest $oulies. I look forward to my next visit - I'll make sure I have my play boxes with me so I can reciprocate some of the fine music I was offered during my four hour stay. Can't wait.. :D

Fngers.. https://www.soul-sour...showblog=260&st=

Source Advert