Record De-Warping Service?

boba

I recently bought a record on ebay. It ended up having a nasty sharp warp not in the description (not a heat warp though) that makes the needle bounce off the record and it will only play at 2.5 grams or higher. I won it at a decent price and it is clean otherwise so I would like to avoid sending it back if possible.

I have heard of people who have record flattening machines and I was wondering if anyone (like a record store somewhere) offered the use of these machines as a service. From my understanding, these machines are mostly designed for LPs and don't work well on 45s. Someone told me that there is one specific machine that works on 45s that heats and cools the record over a 24 hour period that can remove the warp (and that the other machine that doesn't work only does it over a 2 hour period). Does anyone know any more details and know if anyone offers a service (ideally in the US but anywhere I guess) that gives access to one of these machines to de-warp a 45? I'm not looking for someone to stick a 45 between two sheets of glass and stick it in the sun or the oven or blow dryer or any other home grown technique, or for some home advice either. Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I recently bought a record on ebay. It ended up having a nasty sharp warp not in the description (not a heat warp though) that makes the needle bounce off the record and it will only play at 2.5 grams or higher. I won it at a decent price and it is clean otherwise so I would like to avoid sending it back if possible.

I have heard of people who have record flattening machines and I was wondering if anyone (like a record store somewhere) offered the use of these machines as a service. From my understanding, these machines are mostly designed for LPs and don't work well on 45s. Someone told me that there is one specific machine that works on 45s that heats and cools the record over a 24 hour period that can remove the warp (and that the other machine that doesn't work only does it over a 2 hour period). Does anyone know any more details and know if anyone offers a service (ideally in the US but anywhere I guess) that gives access to one of these machines to de-warp a 45? I'm not looking for someone to stick a 45 between two sheets of glass and stick it in the sun or the oven or blow dryer or any other home grown technique, or for some home advice either. Thanks.

boxing.gif Hi all i was going to write about this very subject this week, after posting the record cleaning tips (ALL ABOUT SOUL)

However there are 2 types of warps common in records 1. Dishing = bowl type and wave type, they are the easy ones to put right, very common with 10/12" Vanal, 2. Pinch or small wave type = hard work to do risky and defenatly a 60/40% if not more than makeing things work, g.gif The solution involves you having a little bit of sciance knowlage physics will do? as records are made out of plastic it should allseem straight forewrd but its not when records are made they are hot and stamped into it are the grooves, if a record has a edge pinch warp basic sciance will tell you if you want to get it back to shape you have to excite the molicules to get back in order to there origanl place? are you wid me bruvver? das good, also a warp is not like a brake as the plastic streches that means the groove area has also streched and just flatening a record wont always mean that they will achieve success and often leaves a shine riplles on the area of the warp?king.gif What do you want to achieve if its to reduce the warp My recomendation is do what you can to reduce the warp and put more wait on it, boiling water poored over the recored while the record is in acontianor and some sort of wiaghted jig use to cover the record around all its edges not on the groove after 45 seconds remove it and see if its better, hot water poored over certain records can bring back the shine of the factory but stick to EMI,s only, I have used a micro wave to achieve a good result, always try what you are trying to do on old rubbish records first, AND WATCH YOU DONT WRECK A LABEL, Lets hope some one comes up with a good do it home way, there is anouther way but thats my secret, whats yours6.gif LETS ALL TRY AND KEEP IN SHAPE?ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

A RECORD SHOP IN FREMONT CALIFORNIA "BAY AREA" HAS JUST POSTED A BIG ADVERTISMENT ABOUT A NEW DE-WARPING MACHINE THEY JUST GOT IN FOR THE SHOP..THEY ARE CHARGING $15 PER RECORD AND GUARANTEE THE RESULTS..HOWEVER IM NOT GUARANTING THE RESULTS ..LOL.....BUT LOOK EM UP ONLINE.....NEEDLE TO THE GROOVE IS THE NAME OF THE SHOP..HOPE THAT HELPS.......

Social source share

A RECORD SHOP IN FREMONT CALIFORNIA "BAY AREA" HAS JUST POSTED A BIG ADVERTISMENT ABOUT A NEW DE-WARPING MACHINE THEY JUST GOT IN FOR THE SHOP..THEY ARE CHARGING $15 PER RECORD AND GUARANTEE THE RESULTS..HOWEVER IM NOT GUARANTING THE RESULTS ..LOL.....BUT LOOK EM UP ONLINE.....NEEDLE TO THE GROOVE IS THE NAME OF THE SHOP..HOPE THAT HELPS.......

thanks a lot. I will try it if my first option (and I guess dthedrug's option of I think pouring boiling water over the record????) falls through. Thanks a lot.

Social source share

hot water poored over certain records can bring back the shine of the factory but stick to EMI,s only

Also known as "skimming" or "polishing", to remove non-penetrative surface marks. Direct steam on the record creates the same effect. Only seems to work with UK records though.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

thanks a lot. I will try it if my first option (and I guess dthedrug's option of I think pouring boiling water over the record????) falls through. Thanks a lot.

[/quot

heres the link for needle to the groovewww.yelp.com/biz/needle-to-the-groove-fremont

Edited by Soul-Striver
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I have used my trouser press.....works a treat.....all records now nice and flat.....don't play very well though!

ever thought about putting your trousers in them Martin wicked.gif

do these machines really work and if so how much are they

Social source share

ever thought about putting your trousers in them Martin wicked.gif

do these machines really work and if so how much are they

Argos and John Lewis sell them...Agros about £50...JL about £80......mine works very well on wool trousers.

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Argos and John Lewis sell them...Agros about £50...JL about £80......mine works very well on wool trousers.

laugh.giflaugh.gif i was on about the de warping machine that someone in the States has and garauntees the results laugh.giflaugh.gif

i got an iron and Marie to do my creases Martin biggrin.gif

Social source share

laugh.giflaugh.gif i was on about the de warping machine that someone in the States has and garauntees the results laugh.giflaugh.gif

i got an iron and Marie to do my creases Martin biggrin.gif

The shop guarantees results however I personally have not took any 45s in there myself.....I was going by an advertisement by the shop a couple of weeks back....I talked to the gentlemen and he told me to send him a tester and he would hook it up.....Needle to the groove Fremont california

Social source share

heres the add fellas.....again play at your own risk........

Hello and thanks for looking. Starting on oct.1 needle to the groove record shop in fremont will be offering a d- warping service. We have bought a top of the line orb 02 disc flatter. It works like you would not believe. So no more putting your records in the oven. Ha. The machine was not cheap so prices are as follows. 1-4 records are 15 dollars each. 5-9 are 12 dollars each and 10 or more is 10 dollars each including tax. So pull out all of you rare records that have been warped for all these years and finally get them flat as a pancake.It does 45's as well. Any questions just e-mail or call the shop...510-371-8027 thanks.

Social source share

I put the two sheets of glass theory to the test once or twice. Also put the 45s under a heavy weight for several(!) months. These methods are not exactly perfect however and have not removed the bowled-ness totally. Just suffiicient to allow the tone arm to stay on the record! These so called 'compression techniques' unfortunately also compress the groove so the sound quality suffers slightly...I'd be interested to see how you go on with this. Please keep us posted!

Social source share

Hello and thanks for looking. Starting on oct.1 needle to the groove record shop in fremont will be offering a d- warping service. We have bought a top of the line orb 02 disc flatter. It works like you would not believe. So no more putting your records in the oven. Ha. The machine was not cheap so prices are as follows. 1-4 records are 15 dollars each. 5-9 are 12 dollars each and 10 or more is 10 dollars each including tax. So pull out all of you rare records that have been warped for all these years and finally get them flat as a pancake.It does 45's as well. Any questions just e-mail or call the shop...510-371-8027 thanks.

Thanks for that m8! Very welcome news

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

good.gif

Social source share

Also known as "skimming" or "polishing", to remove non-penetrative surface marks. Direct steam on the record creates the same effect. Only seems to work with UK records though.

i *HATE* polished records, one of my number one pet peeves

Social source share

You can also buy a machine that is meant to correct warps!

Only costs £1400 in the UK, so everyone should have one :thumbsup:

Never used one myself so have no experience of how good they are.

"Clearaudio's vinyl-doctor is a revelation for restoring warped records. A fine balance of heating, precise timing and an exact amount of pressure applied to the warped record will eliminate warps and avoid any damage to the record. Perfect for professional collectors, general vinyl enthusiasts and djs alike, the vinyl doctor will eradicate the potentially devastating effect of warping."

post-15684-12545775438683.jpg

Social source share

You can also buy a machine that is meant to correct warps!

Only costs £1400 in the UK, so everyone should have one :lol:

Never used one myself so have no experience of how good they are.

"Clearaudio's vinyl-doctor is a revelation for restoring warped records. A fine balance of heating, precise timing and an exact amount of pressure applied to the warped record will eliminate warps and avoid any damage to the record. Perfect for professional collectors, general vinyl enthusiasts and djs alike, the vinyl doctor will eradicate the potentially devastating effect of warping."

I think that is the one of the ones that doesn't really work well on 45s though.

Social source share

Guest geomcewan

After much experimentation I got four heavy plates made up, two plates that correspond to the label and the other two for the vinyl; depending on the type of warp it is sometimes better to start in the middle and work your way out. This method involves a gentle heating of the plates and I have yet to damage or render unplayable any disc. You should always remember that the difference in thickness of the vinyl (grooves) and the label section is a very important factor.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert