***torch Reunion Yesterday***

• Replies 149
  • Views 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ive to thank you guys for organising and back in may i bought tickets, posted on face book that I was looking fwd to going when I recieved a message from an unknown girl asking for some spare tickets, I said keep in touch as some may become available, we did, and have now got together and are planning a future together!!! You couldnt have predicted that one eh???

But we are now together cos of this and I cant thank you guys enough for a brillaint do and ive blisters on both feet to prove it.

What about an annual event??

=====================================================================================

Absolutly Brilliant !!! I know the feeling after meeting Jane 18 months ago at a Soul nite that i never attend and went

at the very last minute after a taxi i had booked to go elsewhere never turned up, you never know whats around the corner in life hey !!! Best of Luck to you both..

Love

Ian Cunliffe & Jane

xxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Dave Turner

=====================================================================================

Absolutly Brilliant !!! I know the feeling after meeting Jane 18 months ago at a Soul nite that i never attend and went

at the very last minute after a taxi i had booked to go elsewhere never turned up, you never know whats around the corner in life hey !!! Best of Luck to you both..

Love

Ian Cunliffe & Jane

xxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, life's a strange thing. Turn left walking out of Tescos and your whole life could be totally different than if you'd turned right. huh.gif

F'kin hell, I do talk some shite laugh.gif

F'kin hell, I do talk some shite laugh.gif

you fi'kin well do mush.

someone asked me Sat if my guts measured more than you height, they were already to do a £100 for charity if me and you got up on the stage and had a 'measure off' I ran over to the Barber shop and asked them to mearsure the girth of my belly, fcuk me I would have lost.

Guest Dave Turner

you fi'kin well do mush.

someone asked me Sat if my guts measured more than you height, they were already to do a £100 for charity if me and you got up on the stage and had a 'measure off' I ran over to the Barber shop and asked them to mearsure the girth of my belly, fcuk me I would have lost.

I might talk shite mucka, but I've read the above 5 times now and come to the conclusion that is a complete load of nonsensical bollox laugh.gif

What is it, a riddle? If so I give up, yah got me beat huh.gif

It's difficult to put in words the reunion on Saturday everything was fantastic and to see Alan Day the guys a legend. The organisation was superb thanks to Paul Donnelly,Malc Burton and Jez

Julie(Phil Morgans sister)with Phils memorabilia so moving

Chris the Lyrics to Queen of fools

THE"GOLDEN TORCH" WHEN'S THE NEXT ONE

A drillion thanks, be singing that for a while :thumbup: ..........this pic sums it all up..........................

Ive to thank you guys for organising and back in may i bought tickets, posted on face book that I was looking fwd to going when I recieved a message from an unknown girl asking for some spare tickets, I said keep in touch as some may become available, we did, and have now got together and are planning a future together!!! You couldnt have predicted that one eh???

Match made in Soul heaven, well done !

Chris L

A drillion thanks, be singing that for a while :thumbup: ..........this pic sums it all up..........................

And Pat Wallace bottom right really trying to het out of the photo..

Is Julian Bently really 59, he looks like 49...nice to cya all.

ps third guy from the left pink tee shirt, black zip up with glasses? I know him, put me right guys?

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Guest julie s

there,s a picture inour local paper (the sentinel) tonite of the lads on their scooters at the plaque the website for the paper is www.the sentinel.co.uk look it up it,s great xxxxxxjulie

What can u say thats not been said? Great to see all old faces still enjoying the music and after hearing that Allan Day had passed away in the eighties, it was wonderfull to see and chat to him and to hear him just like old times, Max who I hadnt seen since the Cats days, without his basin haircut, Barmy Barry who is a one off! and some truely awesome tunes that will stay in the heart and head forever.

But we are now together cos of this and I cant thank you guys enough for a brillaint do and ive blisters on both feet to prove it.

brill ask her if shes got a sister he he lolthumbup.gif

ps third guy from the left pink tee shirt, black zip up with glasses? I know him, put me right guys?

Jess (Jim) Fisher from Bury old Mecca, Junction, Cats & Torchhand.

Chris L

They played loads of brand new 70s releases, ever heard of A Man Like Me, Do Me Right, Honey Bee, Devils Drive, Stop What Your Doing, TLC ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The amazing thing about the records played at the Torch and other venues around that time was that most of the 45,s where recorded less than 6 / 7 years before ohmy.gif Others like Kev mentioned where new releases, those where the dayssmile.gif

Guest yorks old boys

I'll write something more substantive tonight - here's a few snapshots.

Alan Day was in smashing form, great to see him on the stage.

All the DJs (except me) we're great, people like Nige Brown & Neil Rushton are

super profs - honoured to have shared the stage with them.

The venue was dirty, sweaty, scruffy, just like the original Torch thumbup.gif (mind you the

bogs were pretty dry, so lacked some authenticity there ;-)

Lots more younger folk then I thought, would been far too young to have gone to the Torch, they were just loving the sounds being played.

Some stuff got played that would start a lynching at some of today's "Only 3 Known Copies" venues, just wonderful to hear Barbara Mills fill the floor again, it really was a monster sound in the early 70s (does anybody know the 2nd verse words - nobody seems to be able to translate them) wub.gif

Alcohol up Norf is a dam sight cheaper than darn Sowf tongue.gif

Tunstall hasn't changed much !!! wicked.gif

just had the wife sing the whole song so now look at me comes to mind is that correct

SO SO RIGHT PAT!! CONGRATS TO PAUL, MALC & JEZ FOR PUTTING ON THE MOST PERFECT & FITTING TRIBUTE TO

THE!"TORCH" I FELT REALLY HONOURED TO BE ASKED TO BE PART OF THIS BRILLIANT DAY!! A DAY THAT BEGAN BY

PICKING UP THE ONE & ONLY "BARMY BARRY" YES THE 1ST DJ AT THE "GOLDEN TORCH" WAY BACK IN 1964!!

ON TO HOSE ST TO WITNESS A WHOLE ROW OF SCOOTERS PARKED UP IN FRONT OF THE "TORCH PLAQUE"

GREAT TO SEE SO MANY PEEPS PAYING THEIR RESPECTS TO THIS LENGENDARY CLUB!!

A QUICK DASH INTO A PUB TO CATCH A BIT OF THE WOLVES -VILLA GAME!! THEN ON TO THE VENUE WHICH

WAS VERY BUSY FROM THE OFF!! GREAT TO CATCH UP WITH OLD MATES, AND SO SO PLEASED TO HAVE A CHAT

WITH "ALAN DAY" WHO I HAD NOT SEEN FOR 30 ODD YEARS!!

LUMP IN THE THROAT TIME WHEN I TEAMED UP WITH "BARMY BARRY" AS HE OPENED UP WITH THE 1ST SOUL RECORD

EVER PLAYED AT THE "TORCH" WAY BACK IN 1964!! THE "TAMS" HEY GIRL DON'T BOTHER ME!!

AND THERE WE ARE 45 YRS ON A ROOM PACKED WITH FOLKS HAVING A GREAT DAY!! A FITTING TRIBUTE TO

THE"GOLDEN TORCH" WHENS THE NEXT ONE!!

MAX...

boxing.gif Hi Max*** I am still Buzzzzing. " things 1. what do you think other promoters are thinking about all the positives about SAT Night? and the fact that "Tell me it,s just a rumor Baby" is a GEM and must not be played any more? I agree it has to put in context with the Event?g.gif

2. My poster that you Barry, Kev, and the King Spinner Allen Day signed for me will be treasured as much as RICKY-TIC CLUB POSTERS OF GENO AND ROY C. And means as much to me it,s priceless and will take pride of place along with my memorabilia nice one mate. it,s got to be one of the rarest re-pros going with names like that on it? however (the P.O.R.G) Dave Everson failed to put his monocle on it? I don't know if that's good or bad?yes.gif have you his Email or can you get him to contact me?

no.gif Allen Day he remembered all of us from the South, Mick Smith, Big Clive truly amazing! and once again cheers ears to all the DJ>

king.gif DAVE (Mouth of the South) KILWORTHgood.gif

Is Julian Bently really 59, he looks like 49...nice to cya

Hi Pat

Nice to have a chat on Saturday - 58 to be precise - I assume it's the clean living, exercise,healthy diet that does it!!whistling

Mrs B says it's because I've been looked after and pampered all my life:chinstroke:

Great night all round - did I hear the Sequins - Case of love played? Can't remember! possibly due to the alcoholic haze!!!

Cheers

Julian

Just for the record and Rob Satz Newburywhistling.gif

heres a playlist which includes BOTH sets i spun at the Torch re union!!

Just before i followed Dave Evison to do the last hour i said to Dave " So whats ya last record gonna be Bro? !

Dave replied " EDDIE PARKER!! Of Course" Then he gave me a Hug and RAMMED the Dance Flloor!!

A moment that will stay with me forever!!!

These were played by me over 2 sets,,,,,,,

PP ARNOLD -- EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT -- IMMEDIATE UK

SAM NESBIT -- BLACK MOTHER GOOSE --- AMOS

BILLY HARNER - WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC - KARMA SUTRA DEMO

JASON KNIGHT - OUR LOVE IS GETTING STRONGER - PYE first issue

EDWIN STARR - BACK STREET - RIC-TIC DEMO

V VIBRATIONS - SUPRISE PARTY FOR BABY - NEPTUNE DEMO

BUTCH BAKER - BATMAN AT THE GO GO - ST LAWRENCE issue

WILLIE KENGRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS - RCA DEMO

ART FREEMAN - SLIPIN AROUND - ATLANTIC uk

RUFUS LUMLEY - IM STANDING - STATESIDE

DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION - STATESIDE

JERRY COOK - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE - CAPITOL DEMO

INCREDIBLES - THERES NOTHING ELSE TO SAY - STATESIDE

FURYS - IM SATISFIED WITH YOU - KEYMEN

JUDY CLAY - YOU BUSTED MY MIND - SCEPTER

JOHN ST JOHN(CHAPTER FIVE) - YOU CANT MEAN IT - DR 45 GIRI

DARRELL BANKS - SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE - REVILOT DEMO

N F PORTER - KEEP ON KEEPING ON - LIZARD DEMO

PROMATICS - SUGAR PIE HONEY - JO JO

OVATIONS - THEY SAY - GOLDWAX blue

SOUL TWINS - QUICK CHANGE ARTIST - KAREN

MARY LOVE - LAY THIS BURDON DOWN - STATESIDE DEMO

THE SHIRELLES - LAST MINUTE MIRACLE - SCEPTRE

TOMMY NEAL - GOIN TO A HAPPENING - PALMER DEMO

THE SAPPIRES - THE SLOW FIZZ - ABC PARAMOUNT

EMANUEL LASKEY - IM A PEACE LOVING MAN - THELMA DEMO

MARTHA STAR - NO PART TIME LOVE FOR ME - THELMA DEMO

CHUCK JACKSON - CHAINS OF LOVE - PYE INT first issue

JOHNNY WYATT - THIS THING CALLED LOVE - PRESIDENTfirst issue

DOTTY CAMBRIDGE - CRY YOUR EYES OUT - MGM DEMO

IMPRESSIONS - CANT SATISFY - ABC DEMO

O'JAYS - WORKING ON YOUR CASE - MINIT

INSPIRATIONS - TOUCH ME KISS ME HOLD ME - BLACK PEARL

MOSES AND JOSHUA - GET OUT OF MY HEART - MALA DEMO

NOLAN CHANCE - JUST LIKE THE WEATHER - CONSTILATION

DANNY WHITE - KEEP MY WOMAN HOME - ATLAS DEMO

HIGH KEYS - LIVING A LIE - VERVE DEMO

INVITATIONS - WHATS WRONG WITH ME BABY - STATESIDE DEMO

JIMMY RADCLIFFE - LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER - STATESIDE

NELLA DODDS - COME BACK BABY - WAND DEMO

Theres a lot on Soul Source who slag records like this off !!

This is beyond me,,,these records laid the foundation and are far suppierior to some of the Durge that is classed as Rare and Up Front,,, still each to there own!!

It was an honour to play this lot,, thanks once again Paul ,Malc and Jezz

For one day only i was TORCHBOY

Nige B ,,,,Stafford

A little delayed in adding my contribution but better late than never.

Agreed, what more can be said, an amazing day and evening. All the wonderful comments made so far have been on the nail. We arrived at Hose street what we thought was a little late, in fact it was perfect timing, was able to park directly facing the Torch plaque just in time to witness Nige getting his music box out!

Everyone then moved into the area where the actual building stood for the photo and reminiscing session. I spent my time working out where the small balcony to the right of the stage had been, this is where I used to spend my none dancing time, people watching, along with the crowd from Preston, Wolves and the Manchester gang I knew (none of whom seem to still be around apart from Jill and Richard, Jill originally being from Corby). Thank you to the fella who put me right, sorry I never asked your name. It is true you could not believe that this small site had housed what then seemed a much bigger club, how on earth did we all fit in when Major Lance was recording live???????????? Although I was introduced on Saturday to some of people on the roof that night!! I was explaining to Ethna how the Hose Street milk bottles used to disappear on the Sunday mornings, not guilty but I could give you some names ..... maybe not, your secret is safe. The Scooters definately added that extra touch, of course I wanted a go on the one with the most mirrors!!!!!

We then made our way round to The Ryan Hall, expecting as usually happens at the beginning of these day sessions, for there to be a few people here and there with most arriving for the evening session. Instead the place was already crowded with only standing and dancing room left. Even at this point with the lights still on the atmosphere hit you. I found myself glancing round the room looking for faces I may have recognised from 36 years ago, tall order really, we have all changed so much, there were faces which were familiar but putting a name to them was not possible, the old grey matter was not up to it. Great to see Alan Day, last time I saw Alan was when we were driving in MGB GT convoy (yours was bright yellow if I remember Alan or was that your Lotus?????????), very much a character then and still is, your number has been passed to Jimmy Fahy by the way Alan.

I think everyone has their moment when 'this is it' let the dancing begin, for me it was when Jimmy Hendrix 'Purple Haze' blasted out, I have memories of walking scarily through an all night cafe in Birmingham, filled with Hells Angels where you eventually went downstairs to the all nighter, can't remember the name of the place but it was the first time I had heard this track, brilliant. Trouble is, once I have had that 'this is it' moment, I never seem to get to talk to anyone because every time I think, right time to stop and circulate, another favourite comes on, and so on and so on, the DJ's were marvellous, there were so many.

Sue - you mentioned the scooter guy who split his pants, think he was re-enacting a scene from the Dirty Dancing movie with Ethna when that happened - can't remember that happening to Patrick Swaze! A quick thanks to Chris, Martin Ellis' son for his help in finding a safe overnight place for the car - the Police Station, you're a gentleman.

Anyway many thanks to the organisers, you couldn't have done us more proud. The whole essence and feeling not to mention heat of the Torch was well and truely re-ignited - best time in years. See you all next year - no pressure, has to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again - Paul Donnelly especially.

Brigid

Just before i followed Dave Evison to do the last hour i said to Dave " So whats ya last record gonna be Bro? !

Dave replied " EDDIE PARKER!! Of Course" Then he gave me a Hug and RAMMED the Dance Flloor!!

A moment that will stay with me forever!!!

These were played by me over 2 sets,,,,,,,

PP ARNOLD -- EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT -- IMMEDIATE UK

SAM NESBIT -- BLACK MOTHER GOOSE --- AMOS

BILLY HARNER - WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC - KARMA SUTRA DEMO

JASON KNIGHT - OUR LOVE IS GETTING STRONGER - PYE first issue

EDWIN STARR - BACK STREET - RIC-TIC DEMO

V VIBRATIONS - SUPRISE PARTY FOR BABY - NEPTUNE DEMO

BUTCH BAKER - BATMAN AT THE GO GO - ST LAWRENCE issue

WILLIE KENGRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS - RCA DEMO

ART FREEMAN - SLIPIN AROUND - ATLANTIC uk

RUFUS LUMLEY - IM STANDING - STATESIDE

DEAN PARRISH - DETERMINATION - STATESIDE

JERRY COOK - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE - CAPITOL DEMO

INCREDIBLES - THERES NOTHING ELSE TO SAY - STATESIDE

FURYS - IM SATISFIED WITH YOU - KEYMEN

JUDY CLAY - YOU BUSTED MY MIND - SCEPTER

JOHN ST JOHN(CHAPTER FIVE) - YOU CANT MEAN IT - DR 45 GIRI

DARRELL BANKS - SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE - REVILOT DEMO

N F PORTER - KEEP ON KEEPING ON - LIZARD DEMO

PROMATICS - SUGAR PIE HONEY - JO JO

OVATIONS - THEY SAY - GOLDWAX blue

SOUL TWINS - QUICK CHANGE ARTIST - KAREN

MARY LOVE - LAY THIS BURDON DOWN - STATESIDE DEMO

THE SHIRELLES - LAST MINUTE MIRACLE - SCEPTRE

TOMMY NEAL - GOIN TO A HAPPENING - PALMER DEMO

THE SAPPIRES - THE SLOW FIZZ - ABC PARAMOUNT

EMANUEL LASKEY - IM A PEACE LOVING MAN - THELMA DEMO

MARTHA STAR - NO PART TIME LOVE FOR ME - THELMA DEMO

CHUCK JACKSON - CHAINS OF LOVE - PYE INT first issue

JOHNNY WYATT - THIS THING CALLED LOVE - PRESIDENTfirst issue

DOTTY CAMBRIDGE - CRY YOUR EYES OUT - MGM DEMO

IMPRESSIONS - CANT SATISFY - ABC DEMO

O'JAYS - WORKING ON YOUR CASE - MINIT

INSPIRATIONS - TOUCH ME KISS ME HOLD ME - BLACK PEARL

MOSES AND JOSHUA - GET OUT OF MY HEART - MALA DEMO

NOLAN CHANCE - JUST LIKE THE WEATHER - CONSTILATION

DANNY WHITE - KEEP MY WOMAN HOME - ATLAS DEMO

HIGH KEYS - LIVING A LIE - VERVE DEMO

INVITATIONS - WHATS WRONG WITH ME BABY - STATESIDE DEMO

JIMMY RADCLIFFE - LONG AFTER TONIGHT IS ALL OVER - STATESIDE

NELLA DODDS - COME BACK BABY - WAND DEMO

Theres a lot on Soul Source who slag records like this off !!

This is beyond me,,,these records laid the foundation and are far suppierior to some of the Durge that is classed as Rare and Up Front,,, still each to there own!!

It was an honour to play this lot,, thanks once again Paul ,Malc and Jezz

For one day only i was TORCHBOY

Nige B ,,,,Stafford

well put nige most of them are gonna be played out my box mate and i like you and most have the rare dear stuff sick of this fookin upmanship we all can always play ive got a better dearer record than you stupid game, sat at the ryan hall proved what most of us knew all along the cheapest oldest 45s (they dont make em like that anymore) are the fookin best, proof is in dancefloor rammed all day n night long to the very last record and before i pay £100 £500 for a record it wont be any better than as well as a few others like {example} eddie parker love you baby cost original issue on ashford £25 ? best do ive been to in ages except mine hee hee lol bring on the next torch one maybe mix it with wigan? k t f ... ps and yer can stick william powell £3500 n tribute to betty you know where!!! in the bin hee hee lol

vinny soulshaker soul on trent

YES! The Sequins were played later in the evening. also one of my Faves, a 'Wheel' monster but obviously a Torch biggie too. Alexander Patton.

A Wonderful night yes.gif

Yes, heard Alexander Patton MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE just before we left about 11pmthumbup.gif even managed a shuffle - tried a spin but the alcohol was having none of it!!!!!!!!sad.gif

Nige B ,,,,Stafford

You did a great job Nige, well done !! good.gif

Good to meet you too Sue, sorry we were in your bedroom ohmy.gif I blame those Bury lads meeself laugh.gif ..............

See you next time thumbup.gif

Chris L

I have to say Chris no one has EVER said 'sorry we were in your bedroom' to me EVER shhh.gif

See you next time........does this mean there will be a next time?good.gif

Sue

Just wanted to add my fourpennorth!!! Absolutely shit hot day, cheers to Paul, Jez and Malc for organising it. Was originally on the reserve list then they got the extra 50 tickets and the rest is history! Hardly stopped dancing all day/night, to the point my legs and feet are knackered today and I've been walking round like a ninety year old arthritic old fart. Would like to say, it was an absolute honour being allowed to walk round and help with the raffle and get me mitts on that gorgeous picture, even if it was only for a little while! Even managed to boogie with it a bit too!

In all seriousness tho' this was a fantastic event, put together by fantastic people, hosted by fantastic DJ's and attended by fantastic soulful people. As for Keith Minshull and Ian Levine not being there, it was their loss not ours! It was lovely to meet Nogger and see him enjoying the day. I could see if he could've got out of that chair he'd have been right in the middle with us dancing like his life depended on it!

Brilliant to see the Outer Circle and Golden Torch scooter clubs there too. Cheers guys, it was brilliant to see the scooters.

Nige Brown with his Diskacette - if you ever want to find a loving home for it, I would be happy to help (LOL)

Dave Evison running round like a maniac with an enormous grin

Allen Day - what a man, and I got a kiss - and he signed that picture!

Kev Roberts, reading out the messages and being the true professional he is

Barmy Barry with his funny banter and fabulous choons, made my friend's night as it reminded her of being ten and sneakin' in on a monday night when she wasn't really old enough

Paul Donnelly - what can I say? Really really lovely guy

Jez Jones with his black gloves etc.

the golden torch scooter boy who'd ripped his trousers at the end

gerry from cambridge with his mallett shirt and then who used to go the little soul do's I went to as a teenager in cambridge

the lovely couple from Warrington who were sat near us

John & Joe - brill dancers and made me laugh sooooooooo much

The girls in the skirts spinning

Thank you so much for a really really reallly REALLLY brilliant day. One that will rank in my memory as one of the best soul events i've ever been to

Hi Sara

What can i say that hasent all ready been said about the Torch reunion not a lot other than i loved every minute of the day.

And many thanks to Paul D and every one who helped put the venue together and quote: Alen Day it was as good as an Torch Nite.

But it was nice to meet you and so many old friends Bev and her fella now living in Devon, Billy B spinning away on the dance floor keep it up you will get the hang of it lol top dancer and the rest of the crew from Peterbro who i travled with on the coach with and made me very welcome. Sorry my old mate Tony Dellar and Tina couldent make it due to his illness i give him a call on Sunday and other than been gutted he wasent able to make it he was feeling a bit better. Top marks for spoting the old Howard Mallet badge i had on my shirt i where that one with pirde.

See you at the Mallett Reunion on th 14th

Keep the Faith

IRISH

Edited by Irish Spinner
Guest Dave Turner

I played scruboard....

Just as well 'cause you're no good at s s scr scra scra fookin' scrabble laugh.gif

Did you win?

Edited by Dave Turner

Just a quick note to say thanks for being asked to play some records.

The Torch was very special to me, first went in the summer of 1972 the week after Up The Junction closed, and became a regular, always staying to hear Toni Michaels at the finale, so when Paul last week invited me along to play some records was a real thrill.A big well done to everyone involved.

All the Best,

Neil

Hi,

I'm a little late with my reply.

Most has been said.

Nevertheless, I also was honoured and privileged to be picked to do a DJ spot, very much so.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR RE-CREATING WHAT ONCE WAS.

BrijitD,

We must have known each other.

You write about Saints and Sinners and Rich and Jill and Ethna, (Do you mean Ethna whose sister was Maureen?)

Julian Bentley,

I didn't know you were there (I don't think, and yet we've known each other around 38/39 years.)

I thought Keith Minshull was there. I saw him and shook hands with him (or so I thought)!!!

My 19 year old son came as well and absolutely loved it all. Lots of hugs and "love you dad"..........very touching indeed.....

His 20 year old mate came as well.

He had said, that he was only going for the beer, but he loved it as well, he hugged me too........!

I danced with my son and that was a thrill in itself (although I could only last one record at a time before a sit down!)

Gilly, Steve, Kev, Dave, Alan, Nogger, Snitch, Minit (Dave), Chris , Brian, Slim, Alison, Wilbur, Harry and Diane, Another Dave whom I talked with on the stairs, My dear friend Smig from Leicester who looked after us, driving us about here and there and waited all day for JUST LIKE THE WEATHER only to discover it was played whilst he was at the toilet!, , the lady (was it Bev from Cambridge? who brought me a photo of my mate Skip from Norwich who passed away a long time ago), the ladies with the absolute superb book of Northern memorabilia.

I know damn well I've missed people out, and I'm sorry but you'll have to blame my memory, the beer and the gear.

Much love ALL CONCERNED

Swish

I'm not sure that you can really have a Reunion MK II, however an annual Torch Tunes Revival event for sure,

as the previous one was sold out at 350 tickets perhaps a larger venue (Kings Hall ?) with a 500+ target

would be realistic. One thing is for sure those Torch tunes don't 'arf get people dancing.

On another note (pardon the pun) that stuff that Barmy Barry played were real youth club choons, we were

saying at the time that they were so innocent, upbeat & free from any cynicism they really are special sounds

When you play the Fascinations, Formations & Impressions you do get a feel of a very different era perhaps

never to be seen again in the Western world.................oohh halcyon days...............

Still on a high.........shades.gif

Chris L

Guest Dave Turner

Hi,

I'm a little late with my reply.

Most has been said.

Nevertheless, I also was honoured and privileged to be picked to do a DJ spot, very much so.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR RE-CREATING WHAT ONCE WAS.

BrijitD,

We must have known each other.

You write about Saints and Sinners and Rich and Jill and Ethna, (Do you mean Ethna whose sister was Maureen?)

Julian Bentley,

I didn't know you were there (I don't think, and yet we've known each other around 38/39 years.)

I thought Keith Minshull was there. I saw him and shook hands with him (or so I thought)!!!

My 19 year old son came as well and absolutely loved it all. Lots of hugs and "love you dad"..........very touching indeed.....

His 20 year old mate came as well.

He had said, that he was only going for the beer, but he loved it as well, he hugged me too........!

I danced with my son and that was a thrill in itself (although I could only last one record at a time before a sit down!)

Gilly, Steve, Kev, Dave, Alan, Nogger, Snitch, Minit (Dave), Chris , Brian, Slim, Alison, Wilbur, Harry and Diane, Another Dave whom I talked with on the stairs, My dear friend Smig from Leicester who looked after us, driving us about here and there and waited all day for JUST LIKE THE WEATHER only to discover it was played whilst he was at the toilet!, , the lady (was it Bev from Cambridge? who brought me a photo of my mate Skip from Norwich who passed away a long time ago), the ladies with the absolute superb book of Northern memorabilia.

I know damn well I've missed people out, and I'm sorry but you'll have to blame my memory, the beer and the gear.

Much love ALL CONCERNED

Swish

Here ya go Swish, ya can frame it good.gif

swish.jpg

Good luck with the Texas Hold 'em and looking forward to book

Dave (Minit as was) thumbsup.gif

PS - Tony Foster, nicked ya photo. Hope ya don't mind thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Guest brivinyl

A huge thanks to everyone who helped organize and everyone who attended what to me was the best reunion ever.

No hype - no bullshit, just good vibes frm start to finish. thumbup.gif

Guest yorks old boys

Hi Sara

What can i say that hasent all ready been said about the Torch reunion not a lot other than i loved every minute of the day.

And many thanks to Paul D and every one who helped put the venue together and quote: Alen Day it was as good as an Torch Nite.

But it was nice to meet you and so many old friends Bev and her fella now living in Devon, Billy B spinning away on the dance floor keep it up you will get the hang of it lol top dancer and the rest of the crew from Peterbro who i travled with on the coach with and made me very welcome. Sorry my old mate Tony Dellar and Tina couldent make it due to his illness i give him a call on Sunday and other than been gutted he wasent able to make it he was feeling a bit better. Top marks for spoting the old Howard Mallet badge i had on my shirt i where that one with pirde.

See you at the Mallett Reunion on th 14th

Keep the Faith

IRISH

wife chucked my howard mallet badge out

Guest Dave Turner

I played scruboard....

On entering Ryan Hall and being hit with a wall of sound from resident band Paul (Scuboard) Donnelly and the Posh Guys the atmosphere was f'kin' electric.

You were great mate but full credit to the rest of yer band, Nige Brown, Swish & Barmy Barry accompanied by Malc Burton on keyboard.

I thought Swish (in the middle) was particularly impressive laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner

Hey Paul, I was not trying to get out of the way I just thought that position was better to show off my new haircut, I,v changed the way I comb it can you tellbiggrin.gif

Still buzzzzzzzzzzing from Sat.

I just read the last few posts.

It's my birthday today and I have been laughing my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, I am now 90% convinced I went to the same Torch as everybody elsetumbleweed3.gif Ahh but when Tony Coleby took me to see the ruins many years ago and I was absolutely off my head and didn't believe him, he made me knock on one of the doors on opposite siide of the road to get some old geezer to confirm it. That could have been a set up! HA HA HA HA HA!

As for me in the Scotty Brothers, well that was when I was a lot younger!whistling.gif

What a great birthday present to wake up and read this great thread. I can't stop reading it all from start to finish.

many thanks to Paul, Malc (very suave in his mohair coat) and Jez for the immense time and effort it must have taken to get everything spot on.

I was nervous for months and all I had to do was spin a few tunesrolleyes.gif

By the way they loved my Torch Reunion shirt in my local working men's club. Loved telling them all what it was all about etc.

Made me real proud.

Thanks again EVERYONE.

Swish.

I'm not sure that you can really have a Reunion MK II, however an annual Torch Tunes Revival event for sure,

as the previous one was sold out at 350 tickets perhaps a larger venue (Kings Hall ?) with a 500+ target

would be realistic.

Chris L

Back in Feb 2009 when we went live with this reunion I said no matter what the outcome I would not be involved in another, I have made it clear to the other two reprobates that was the last thing I ever promote. As we left Tunstall I had an enormous smile of self satisfaction that the venue that started it all for me was helping me walk away from something that has not been inside me for months. I wanted closure so I could move on, thank you to everybody that made the whole day one of the greatest ever.

Jez and I spoke at great length yesterday about an annual Torch Revival evening, although NOTHING will ever get near last Saturday I hope he finds it in himself to 'do another' if he does can I have cash waiting here now for my ticket.

Chris, I'm convinced that the venue was the catalyst for the day/nights success, just shitty enough if you know what I mean, I'm convinced the walls were vibrating, which is probably why some of the ceiling caved in. 1000 in at the Kings Hall just wouldn't be the same somehow.

Any over to you Jez and count me as paying punter next time, who knows I might even enjoy it as much as you guys did last time around..

Take care my friends.

PD

Swish - We did know each other, I have to apologise I had the added advantage of you being introduced to us all. When you had finished your stint, a few times I made the move to come over to say hello but either you were collared or I was (or another favourite came on - which of course ruled out most of the day) and before I knew it the day was finished, this is why we have to do it all again next year, cos it's all only now falling into place as to who some of the faces were.

You would probably also recall the trips to the Burton 76 Club on the Sunday, Catacombs, Up the Junction (loved this place), Bletsoe. Other names like Bob Dryden - Wolves, Stu Morris - Nottm, Neil Hedges - Newark, Russ Staley- Mansfield, Liz Tinsley - Wolvs, Doris - Burton. Ricky - Grantham, Pete Jepson - Notm, Olly - Corby (now Nottm), Keith Shepherd & Paul Pleva- Hyde, etc etc

Can anyone remember when we always used to go into those photo booths at the service station or train stations? I have loads of the passport sized photos of various people from these occasions.

Ethna actually is my sister, have to say have never heard of another Ethna on the scene, but then again I used to get called other Irish names from time to time when people knew my name was Irish sounding!! Ethna never went to the Torch as she was too young but was at the Casino from when it first opened, her late husband was Billy Garner who passed away back in 91'. They both used to enter a lot of the dancing competitions.

Memories ...........

Brijid,

Yes I remember nearly all those people, and the clubs of course.

Noreen and Ethna had real cockney accents (if I remember rightly). They used to love taking the mickey out of my Yorkshire accent.

We went to Catacombs together as well as other places.

Funny you should mention those passport photos cos I have photos of both those gals (somewhere) + lots of others.

I have a great one of Johnny Day from Notts and Kegsy from Bradford. Johnny looks real mature and handsome with his moustache and side burns like he's about 25 or so and Kegsy looks as though he's about 12!

(No offence Kegsy)(I only spoke to Kegsy today actually).

Is it possible you could send me a picture of yourself?

And tell me about your life since those times?

Love

Swish

Brijid,

Yes I remember nearly all those people, and the clubs of course.

Noreen and Ethna had real cockney accents (if I remember rightly). They used to love taking the mickey out of my Yorkshire accent.

We went to Catacombs together as well as other places.

Funny you should mention those passport photos cos I have photos of both those gals (somewhere) + lots of others.

I have a great one of Johnny Day from Notts and Kegsy from Bradford. Johnny looks real mature and handsome with his moustache and side burns like he's about 25 or so and Kegsy looks as though he's about 12!

(No offence Kegsy)(I only spoke to Kegsy today actually).

Is it possible you could send me a picture of yourself?

And tell me about your life since those times?

Love

Swish

the two sisters came from fackin Luton...as for Brigid, she looks 45.

When she danced to Jason Knight she put all them 40 year olds to shame..

Swish

HAPPY BIRTHDAY:thumbup: . the photo of you DJing on Saturday really sums it up, you look chuffed to bits. I know I'm still smiling

Sue H

I just read the last few posts.

It's my birthday today and I have been laughing my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, I am now 90% convinced I went to the same Torch as everybody else:tumbleweed3: Ahh but when Tony Coleby took me to see the ruins many years ago and I was absolutely off my head and didn't believe him, he made me knock on one of the doors on opposite siide of the road to get some old geezer to confirm it. That could have been a set up! HA HA HA HA HA!

As for me in the Scotty Brothers, well that was when I was a lot younger!whistling

What a great birthday present to wake up and read this great thread. I can't stop reading it all from start to finish.

many thanks to Paul, Malc (very suave in his mohair coat) and Jez for the immense time and effort it must have taken to get everything spot on.

I was nervous for months and all I had to do was spin a few tunes:rolleyes:

By the way they loved my Torch Reunion shirt in my local working men's club. Loved telling them all what it was all about etc.

Made me real proud.

Thanks again EVERYONE.

Swish.

Source Advert