Why Vinyl ? Not Cd ?

Guest vertigoGo

I got to say my bit.

Firstly I'll listen to any brilliant Northern track in any format whatsoever.

If it thrills me it thrills me.

You can't take a load of gear (or whatever) and hear a record that moves and thrills you to pieces and suddenly say "It's not vinyl", or "It's not original label, therefore in the middle of my thrill I don't like it."

Anyone who does, is just not getting it, atall.

I happen to adore Levine's Barbara McNair remake of YOU'RE GONNA MISS MY BABY"

I love the spoken intro and the faster beat and different composition.

IT ABSOLUTELY THRILLS ME , plus there's some special memories with that re-make also (ahh that adds a bit to it).

I also love the original version and that b&w clip of the beautiful lady singing her heart out often, no, mostly moves me to tears.

But the reason why, for me, the vinyl means so much is this:

Well first somewhere on this forum I wrote how I got THE NEXT IN LINE on STATESIDE label and it cost me all I had and nearly my life perhaps when I was attacked by 30 skinheads thumbing my way home.

Well it was many things.

THE THRILL OF THE SOUND WHEN YOU FIRST HEAR IT

FINDING OUT WHAT IT IS (often covered up, so that could take some doing)

FINDING WHO HAD ONE THAT WAS FOR SALE OR WHO MIGHT BE PERSUADED TO SELL FOR ENOUGH MONEY OR SWAPS.

USING ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SAVVY TO BUY AND SELL RECORDS IN A NIGHT TO MAKE A PROFIT SO YOU WOULD HAVE ENOUGH TO NEGOTIATE WITH

I DON'T DENY I GOT AN ELITIST THRILL FROM OBTAINING A TOP SOUND THAT I LOVED.

IT GAINED YOU RESPECT IN FRONT OF EVERY OTHER COLLECTOR

PART OF COLLECTING WAS THE GAME TO BEAT THE OTHERS TO IT. THERE'S NO DENYING THAT, NO THERE ISN'T NOT ANY.

I'D SETTLE FOR BOOTLEGS WHEN I COULDN'T GET OR AFFORD THE ORIGINAL, BUT I ALWAYS WANTED THE ORIGINAL.

AND UK DEMOS FOR THE MOST PART WERE SO BEAUTIFUL WITH THEIR GREEN LABELS AND WHITE "A"'S OR WHITE LABELS AND RED "A"S

THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL LIKE GREEN AND CLEARS WERE BEAUTIFUL, LIKE GREEN AND BROWNS WERE BEAUTIFUL. USA PINK MOTOWN LABELS WERE MEGA RARE THEN AS WERE TWO TONE PINKS.

PART OF OUR WORLD WAS THE BEAUTIFUL COLOURS. BEAUTIFUL COLOURS BOTH IN LABELS AND GEAR REPRESENTED CLASS, THE BEST, THE ELITE.

BLACK BOMBERS, BLACK BEN SHERMANS, BLACK VOCALION /STATESIDE/COLUMBIA ETC LABELS ALSO ELITE WHEN THE BLACK ISSUES WERE RARE THAN THE DEMOS, LIKE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT-JIMMY THOMAS FOR EXAMPLE AND BLACK LABEL RCA ISSUES..

There was no e-bay then to find almost any record if you can afford it, no Catalogues to look up and se the current value.

IT ALL HAD TO BE DONE BY KNOWLEDGE AND FAST QUICKLY LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE.

YOU HAD TO RISK THAT YOUR KNOWLEDGE WAS GOOD, THAT YOU'D WALK OUT OF THE PLACE WITH THE RECORD WITHOUT BEING ROLLED, CARRY IT ABOUT ALL F*** NIGHT SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT WHEN OFF YOUR HEAD

IT WAS THIS COMBINED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY AND EXPERIENCE THAT IS WHY WE CAN HEAR NORTHERN ON CD, MP3, YOU-TUBE, ETC TODAY.

PLUS, AS WAS SAID ESPECIALLY WITH USA ISSUES/DEMOS, YOU GOT AN ALMOST DIRECT CONNECTION TO THE ARTISTS THEMSELVES.

THAT'S WHY VINYL WILL ALWAYS BE THE REAL MEDIA TO HAVE.

Social source share

• Replies 91
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Now, dont get me wrong, I would, and do still use my vinyl, but not exclusively, and of course, as we get older, and we all do, Its far less a strain carrying cd's or a laptop around!

Strangely enough i had someone come in my shop t'other day trying to get me to go to a 6ts night, i asked if the djs would be playing vinyl, i was told they weren't as they are now in their fifties & don't want to carry heavy vinyl around anymore, my retort was "If they can't be bothered to carry the vinyl around anymore there's plenty out there that will & are prepared to do the job properly"!

Simon

Social source share

I could have my photograph taken holding the things! Most being UK releases, so I bet that makes me some kind of unspeakable monster too eh?

Look, I was collecting soul and Motown vinyl as an early teenager, when the majority of tracks that are being played now were first released! Way before the "Northern Soul" term was even thought about, I did my first gig when I was 13, and havent stopped since.

I used to hump loads of heavy boxes containing vinyl, up and down stairs, when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays, idiots can, and have knocked into the table where the TT's are, sending the arm ripping across the record, pint holding arseholes have been known to spill the contents of their glass over them, so why would I want to let this happen to records that have been with me since a teenager?

Things progress, do we still use 78's? Do we heck, some people here are probably asking what a 78 is, exactly!

As for vinyl sounding like the original recording when it was first made, that is incorrect, you would be amazed at how different it is. ( I am talking of comparing old vinyl to the sound first heard at the recording stage) Comparing my original Jr Walkers Road Runner, purchased brand new in 66, played on my home TT costing a fair few bob, there is lots of detail missing when I compare it to its CD cousin, eg, where is the guitar on the vinyl? It just aint there, and its compressed to hell, Motown nearly always did that to their singles to make them sound good on the cheap record players of the day.

Now, dont get me wrong, I would, and do still use my vinyl, but not exclusively, and of course, as we get older, and we all do, Its far less a strain carrying cd's or a laptop around!

The point someone mentioned about any old Tom, Dick or Harry getting a couple of hundred bootlegs holds water, I have witnessed people claiming to be DJ's, merely because they have a decent collection of tunes, that fact does not make you a DJ, just as using cd does not mean you arent!

As for naming the credible soul jocks who dont use vinyl, preferring in some cases to use mp3 files from their laptop, they are...............not going to be named!

This just about takes the prize for the biggest cop out posting on the OVO debate.

What sort of "credible" DJ complains that his box is too heavy....and what's worse I can believe some "promoters" go with it....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

This scene plays original format....end of...yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

Social source share

As for naming the credible soul jocks who dont use vinyl, preferring in some cases to use mp3 files from their laptop, they are...............not going to be named!

Don't think you'd need to be Sherlock Holmes to suss this one out, you'd just need to peer over the stage to see what format is being played.

I would say i've seen most & know most (& if i don't know them i at least know what they look like) big Northern djs & i've never seen any of these play from mp3s so you're either lying or the people you're referring to aren't big name jocks.

Simon

Social source share

This just about takes the prize for the biggest cop out posting on the OVO debate.

What sort of "credible" DJ complains that his box is too heavy....and what's worse I can believe some "promoters" go with it....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

This scene plays original format....end of...yes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

"when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays"

You've got admit, this bit is priceless :thumbup:

Social source share

"when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays"

You've got admit, this bit is priceless :thumbup:

Ha Ha...LOL.

What about those dangerous CDs, the sun could reflect off one & blind someone!

Simon no.gif

Social source share

You've got admit, this bit is priceless laugh.gif

Do you think oldies DJs get Repetitive Strain Injuries from playing the same records.....g.gif

Quick....somebody call the Health & Safety Execeutive....this could be the answer.....laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

You've got admit, this bit is priceless :thumbsup:

Which is more than the ruined singles I was playing are now worth.

Guys, I do lots of gigs, and there are a good deal of "credible" jocks who don't use vinyl, why cant you:

A. Understand that.

B. Accept it?

Just because you have not witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I have nothing to gain, or lose by making the claim, why would I lie?

I can picture the scene years ago......."electricity?........electricity????????? Sod off! We wont use anything other than gas!

Social source share

Vinyl is what and how we got to listen to these great artists and started the love affair, the record spinning at 45 or 33, the label , the needle picking up the groove the putting the vinyl on the deck anticipating the needle picking up the first grooves, that back ground sound knowing that this was how it was when the sound the artist / artists first put there sound out was going to be listened to the realness of it .

Social source share

Guys, I do lots of gigs, and there are a good deal of "credible" jocks who don't use vinyl, why cant you:

A. Understand that.

B. Accept it?

I can picture the scene years ago......."electricity?........electricity????????? Sod off! We wont use anything other than gas!

give it a rest will you

this is the soul source look at your box forum

"A place for all soul fans into soul on vinyl. Vinyl facts, rumours, legends, selling, hunting, tips, questions, stories "

sure many are aware of the benefits and all that of all the various formats available

dont need some local radio dj type gobbing off

Social source share

I got to say my bit.

Firstly I'll listen to any brilliant Northern track in any format whatsoever.

If it thrills me it thrills me.

You can't take a load of gear (or whatever) and hear a record that moves and thrills you to pieces and suddenly say "It's not vinyl", or "It's not original label, therefore in the middle of my thrill I don't like it."

Anyone who does, is just not getting it, atall.

I happen to adore Levine's Barbara McNair remake of YOU'RE GONNA MISS MY BABY"

I love the spoken intro and the faster beat and different composition.

IT ABSOLUTELY THRILLS ME , plus there's some special memories with that re-make also (ahh that adds a bit to it).

I also love the original version and that b&w clip of the beautiful lady singing her heart out often, no, mostly moves me to tears.

But the reason why, for me, the vinyl means so much is this:

Well first somewhere on this forum I wrote how I got THE NEXT IN LINE on STATESIDE label and it cost me all I had and nearly my life perhaps when I was attacked by 30 skinheads thumbing my way home.

Well it was many things.

THE THRILL OF THE SOUND WHEN YOU FIRST HEAR IT

FINDING OUT WHAT IT IS (often covered up, so that could take some doing)

FINDING WHO HAD ONE THAT WAS FOR SALE OR WHO MIGHT BE PERSUADED TO SELL FOR ENOUGH MONEY OR SWAPS.

USING ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND SAVVY TO BUY AND SELL RECORDS IN A NIGHT TO MAKE A PROFIT SO YOU WOULD HAVE ENOUGH TO NEGOTIATE WITH

I DON'T DENY I GOT AN ELITIST THRILL FROM OBTAINING A TOP SOUND THAT I LOVED.

IT GAINED YOU RESPECT IN FRONT OF EVERY OTHER COLLECTOR

PART OF COLLECTING WAS THE GAME TO BEAT THE OTHERS TO IT. THERE'S NO DENYING THAT, NO THERE ISN'T NOT ANY.

I'D SETTLE FOR BOOTLEGS WHEN I COULDN'T GET OR AFFORD THE ORIGINAL, BUT I ALWAYS WANTED THE ORIGINAL.

AND UK DEMOS FOR THE MOST PART WERE SO BEAUTIFUL WITH THEIR GREEN LABELS AND WHITE "A"'S OR WHITE LABELS AND RED "A"S

THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL LIKE GREEN AND CLEARS WERE BEAUTIFUL, LIKE GREEN AND BROWNS WERE BEAUTIFUL. USA PINK MOTOWN LABELS WERE MEGA RARE THEN AS WERE TWO TONE PINKS.

PART OF OUR WORLD WAS THE BEAUTIFUL COLOURS. BEAUTIFUL COLOURS BOTH IN LABELS AND GEAR REPRESENTED CLASS, THE BEST, THE ELITE.

BLACK BOMBERS, BLACK BEN SHERMANS, BLACK VOCALION /STATESIDE/COLUMBIA ETC LABELS ALSO ELITE WHEN THE BLACK ISSUES WERE RARE THAN THE DEMOS, LIKE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT-JIMMY THOMAS FOR EXAMPLE AND BLACK LABEL RCA ISSUES..

There was no e-bay then to find almost any record if you can afford it, no Catalogues to look up and se the current value.

IT ALL HAD TO BE DONE BY KNOWLEDGE AND FAST QUICKLY LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE.

YOU HAD TO RISK THAT YOUR KNOWLEDGE WAS GOOD, THAT YOU'D WALK OUT OF THE PLACE WITH THE RECORD WITHOUT BEING ROLLED, CARRY IT ABOUT ALL F*** NIGHT SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT WHEN OFF YOUR HEAD

IT WAS THIS COMBINED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY AND EXPERIENCE THAT IS WHY WE CAN HEAR NORTHERN ON CD, MP3, YOU-TUBE, ETC TODAY.

PLUS, AS WAS SAID ESPECIALLY WITH USA ISSUES/DEMOS, YOU GOT AN ALMOST DIRECT CONNECTION TO THE ARTISTS THEMSELVES.

THAT'S WHY VINYL WILL ALWAYS BE THE REAL MEDIA TO HAVE.

Perhaps my post is invisible to some people. Or is it too difficult to understand?

It took me well over an hour to compose that post , in an attempt to portray it properly.

Mike you no comprendi huh?

Social source share

Perhaps my post is invisible to some people. Or is it too difficult to understand?

It took me well over an hour to compose that post , in an attempt to portray it properly.

Mike you no comprendi huh?

I understood your post

what don't understand is why you are asking me if i did ?

haven't commented on it or the points you make

Social source share

give it a rest will you

this is the soul source look at your box forum

"A place for all soul fans into soul on vinyl. Vinyl facts, rumours, legends, selling, hunting, tips, questions, stories "

sure many are aware of the benefits and all that of all the various formats available

dont need some local radio dj type gobbing off

Mike, firstly, I dont think there is any need to be rude, secondly, re what this section of the forum is about, "Look at your box" why was the debate opened in this section in the first place?

Fifesoul, there was no background noise when the artist first laid down his stuff, thats come about by playing the vinyl!

My final thought on this topic, as someone who has now dj'd continuously for more years than I will admit, and has incurred a slipped disk doing karate for over 20 years, and various other injuries playing ice hockey, I choose to leave my valuable, heavy vinyl collection at home, and use the convenient, light weight optional formats.

And don't forget that just because someone has a good collection, it does not make them a good DJ, I have witnessed this at many venues where someone has gotten together a great selection of vinyl, and believes himself to now be a DJ, it doesn't work like that.

As my friend and former work colleague Dale Winton used to say, "Whilst he's got a hole in his ar*e he will never be a DJ" It applies to a fair few on the scene.

Social source share

My final thought on this topic, as someone who has now dj'd continuously for more years than I will admit, and has incurred a slipped disk doing karate for over 20 years, and various other injuries playing ice hockey, I choose to leave my valuable, heavy vinyl collection at home, and use the convenient, light weight optional formats.

What actual Northern gigs have you been doing over last 30 years, I don't recognise your name.

And don't forget that just because someone has a good collection, it does not make them a good DJ,

As my friend and former work colleague Dale Winton used to say, "Whilst he's got a hole in his ar*e he will never be a DJ" It applies to a fair few on the scene.

I suspect that answers my first question but felt it impolite of me to assume, as my good mate Jock McTavish, well known Scottish philosopher used to say, having a loveable if a little camp and lot orange mate who happens to have had a casual relationship with Northern Soul over the years doesn't make you an expert on what the scene is all about does it.

I suspect you are a career mobile jock needing some other direction now weddings and Barmitzvah's have replaced you with a K-9 lookalike, good luck mate, lots of soul nights out there for you now adays, not sure the pay (haha) will be what you want, but trying to change the minds of a sector of the scene thats fairly fixed in their views because you have a bad back and need change of career is hardly a compelling argument.

Get yourself out to half a dozen all nighters over next 3 weeks (sure there will be that many on) and then come back with a view.

In answer to the actual question :thumbsup:sleep3.gif:shades::sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3:

:sleep3: :sleep3:

or being more precise, answer is Just Because!

Social source share

Ive done many a gig with the likes of Rob Smith, Soul Sam, the late Derek Allen, Kev Roberts, etc, if I need to name drop to get any credibility, I hope they will do.

Mobile jock? I think not, as I said before somewhere, Ive been in the radio industry as a presenter for almost as long as I can recall, I dont need gigs, but thanks for your kind thoughts.

Social source share

I could have my photograph taken holding the things! Most being UK releases, so I bet that makes me some kind of unspeakable monster too eh?

Look, I was collecting soul and Motown vinyl as an early teenager, when the majority of tracks that are being played now were first released! Way before the "Northern Soul" term was even thought about, I did my first gig when I was 13, and havent stopped since.

I used to hump loads of heavy boxes containing vinyl, up and down stairs, when played at outdoor events they can warp in sunlight, despite shading them away from the rays, idiots can, and have knocked into the table where the TT's are, sending the arm ripping across the record, pint holding arseholes have been known to spill the contents of their glass over them, so why would I want to let this happen to records that have been with me since a teenager?

Things progress, do we still use 78's? Do we heck, some people here are probably asking what a 78 is, exactly!

As for vinyl sounding like the original recording when it was first made, that is incorrect, you would be amazed at how different it is. ( I am talking of comparing old vinyl to the sound first heard at the recording stage) Comparing my original Jr Walkers Road Runner, purchased brand new in 66, played on my home TT costing a fair few bob, there is lots of detail missing when I compare it to its CD cousin, eg, where is the guitar on the vinyl? It just aint there, and its compressed to hell, Motown nearly always did that to their singles to make them sound good on the cheap record players of the day.

The point someone mentioned about any old Tom, Dick or Harry getting a couple of hundred bootlegs holds water, I have witnessed people claiming to be DJ's, merely because they have a decent collection of tunes, that fact does not make you a DJ, just as using cd does not mean you arent!

what a fooking load of bollox rolleyes.gif

why say you know loads of top djs that play mp3 files and then dont name them, i tell you why, your full of shite yes.gif

ever thought about buying a trolley to carry all your 1000s of £s worth of cds around on shades.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Posted this years ago, seems to do the trick again for me........

Why is it that a vinyl record can hold so much beauty and mystique as opposed to the foul and ugly CD, I've just had an hour playing and handling vinyl LP's, the aesthetic is absolute, the sheer thrill of holding and placing this piece of history on the turntable and gently lifting the tone arm across, then gently letting it fall in the dead wax.......then the anticipation, it holds your attention that Shhhh noise .....THEN THE SOUND BREAKS THROUGH...the emotion overflows, besides the wonderful musical resonance, there is the chance to watch this superlative Black object move almost to the rhythm and tempo of the song. Yet the CD in comparison is a heinous and filthy little creature, devoid of any charisma, even when I place the hound in the tray it disappears into the dark grey abyss of the machine...almost hiding itself in shame, as if it realizes that in my household he/she is surrounded by illustrious vinyl relations whom look down in disdain at this urchin in it's god damn awful jewel case............

Social source share

Mike, firstly, I dont think there is any need to be rude, secondly, re what this section of the forum is about, "Look at your box" why was the debate opened in this section in the first place?

Fifesoul, there was no background noise when the artist first laid down his stuff, thats come about by playing the vinyl!

And don't forget that just because someone has a good collection, it does not make them a good DJ, I have witnessed this at many venues where someone has gotten together a great selection of vinyl, and believes himself to now be a DJ, it doesn't work like that.

using dale bloody winton quotes says it all

your posts are just getting more and more cringeworthy

give it up

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Before the advent of the cd, mp3, ipod whatever - you never would have dreamed a dj would, for example, play tracks he didnt have on a cassette player plugged into the decks !! The very idea.

I don't see the difference between cassettes, cds reel to reel tapes, 8 track cartridges.......actually an all 8 track cartridge format night might be a anoraks idea of heaven ! :thumbup:

Social source share

Posted this years ago, seems to do the trick again for me........

Why is it that a vinyl record can hold so much beauty and mystique as opposed to the foul and ugly CD, I've just had an hour playing and handling vinyl LP's, the aesthetic is absolute, the sheer thrill of holding and placing this piece of history on the turntable and gently lifting the tone arm across, then gently letting it fall in the dead wax.......then the anticipation, it holds your attention that Shhhh noise .....THEN THE SOUND BREAKS THROUGH...the emotion overflows, besides the wonderful musical resonance, there is the chance to watch this superlative Black object move almost to the rhythm and tempo of the song. Yet the CD in comparison is a heinous and filthy little creature, devoid of any charisma, even when I place the hound in the tray it disappears into the dark grey abyss of the machine...almost hiding itself in shame, as if it realizes that in my household he/she is surrounded by illustrious vinyl relations whom look down in disdain at this urchin in it's god damn awful jewel case............

Out of all the stuff that gets posted on here - this is the one I remember most.

Great stuff :thumbup:

Social source share

Discuss why??? ph34r.gif

Back in old times..when people could really sing this was the format.

Now that we need to digitally remaster people's voices to make it appear they can really sing... they put it on a CDwicked.gif

This post looks like it was put up by a college lecturer for an asignmen "DISCUSS WHY"g.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Sorry to be the one to burst that bubble , but if a tune is only available on 78 i'll play it on 78 .... i have the decks and stylii to do it

Davie

Social source share

why name drop to get credability-doesnt that speak volumes? I could name drop all day DAVID RUFFIN-MARVIN JUNIOR-BOBBY WOMACK-ETC ETC ALL PLAYED ON OVO !!!!

BAZ A.

Ive done many a gig with the likes of Rob Smith, Soul Sam, the late Derek Allen, Kev Roberts, etc, if I need to name drop to get any credibility, I hope they will do.

Mobile jock? I think not, as I said before somewhere, Ive been in the radio industry as a presenter for almost as long as I can recall, I dont need gigs, but thanks for your kind thoughts.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think my thoughts on this has changed a little over the years i that .....

you should ALWAYS stick to ORIGINAL FORMAT only and that of course means if you are playing NORTHERN SOUL or R&B you play it off the original vinyl , however, if you are playing MODERN or new release then the original format can be either Vinyl (if there is one) , CD or MP3 download and all 3 should be considered as legitimate

Social source share

Guest Brett F

i think my thoughts on this has changed a little over the years i that .....

you should ALWAYS stick to ORIGINAL FORMAT only and that of course means if you are playing NORTHERN SOUL or R&B you play it off the original vinyl , however, if you are playing MODERN or new release then the original format can be either Vinyl (if there is one) , CD or MP3 download and all 3 should be considered as legitimate

Agreed Davie

, the thing for me above all is original format

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

why name drop to get credability-doesnt that speak volumes? I could name drop all day DAVID RUFFIN-MARVIN JUNIOR-BOBBY WOMACK-ETC ETC ALL PLAYED ON OVO !!!!

BAZ A.

Social source share

You've got admit, this bit is priceless laugh.gif

You can laugh Joan,but once i had a vinyl record warp because i was carrying a hot Bird's Pork Pie on it.ohmy.gif .

So word of warning.Use cd's to rest ya Pork Pies on. thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

A. Understand that.

B. Accept it?

I think you've missed the point.

It's not about the choice of medium or keeping up to date or what is more convenient.

It is about finding, owning and (if you are lucky) playing to others the original product.

Your argument is the same as the one Bill Gates used to suggest that if you could digitise all art and then have the digital images on your wall to look at, people would then stop going to art galleries to see the originals.

Please can someone close this thread now? cos it is boring.

People who want original vinyl and travel to hear records on original vinyl will never agree with people that can't understand why its not OK to play bootlegs, CD's or mp3's at these events.

People who play CDs etc at events are not wrong in any way they are just different events for different people.

That's it.

Apart from tracks that are CD only.

.... Bugger.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert