Modern Soul And Boogie Cd Swap

I'm in the process of putting together a nice collection of rare boogie and modern soul tracks for a personal CD. So far, I've got things like:

Aaron Broomfield on Mountain (both)

Frank Washingtn on Studio II Revue

Jaymz Bedford on Gold Mink

Clausel on Upright

First Class on Park-Way

Pretty much everything that I've been putting on so far has been from the early 80s. I'm doing my best to stick to rare stuff and independent labels, but we'll see how it progresses. I'm also open to music that uses drum machines, so bring it on. If you have stuff like that and would like to do a swap, speak up and let's get it going. The stuff you put on doesn't have to be dog rare either, let's just have some fun with it.

I love bona fide 60s northern soul just as much as the next guy and gal, but I also enjoy the boogie sounds. I noticed a small handfull of others on here like it too. Would like to hear from those folks. I'm sure Awake and Johnny N. & Ali might have a few nice 80s sounds to scrounge together. How about Jocko? Anyone?

Would love to hear from some other members.

KTF

Jas

PS. Does anyone have "Sunlight" by Krisp on Indigo? How about Tolbert?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Awake 502

Count me in, got loads from that era, and yes will put you Tolbert on cd...

How about Steve M, got a cd writer ??

Social source share

Wow! Got people coming out of the woodwork for this swap. Glad to see people showing up.

To answer the question about styles and what acceptable, I would say that going back before the 80s is definitely ok. I guess you would be looking for music that might have sounded too contemporary for its time to be like older 70s crossover, even if was made in the 70s. If your selections have a few included that are tinged with funk, that's also ok. Drum machines are also definitely permitted.

I've got some sounds I'm looking for, too.

-Krisp "Sunlight" on Indigo

-Vance & Suzanne on Vanton

-Panache

-Moses-Live to Love (or is it Love to Live?) comes on a Silver label

-Master Force on Rain Forest

AND A FEW THAT ARE MORE NORTHERN that may or may not fit the format:

-Treasure Mind

-Big Mouth Woman

-King Moses-I Got the Feeling

-Beverly & Duane

-Natural Impulse-She Went Away (Ali's dream record)

On to the next issue...how to deal with the swap. It occurred to me that I've asked people to swap with me personally, which is one thing, but I didn't stop to think that others might have thought that everyone involved was going to swap. I'll send CDs to anyone, but the question is-do you want to all swap with each other too? I could go either way with how we're doing it.

Let me know how you all would like to do this so that we're on the same page. I'll start getting a list of addresses together. If everyone involved is swapping, I'll also try to be relaxed on the deadline to join in.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest alison

-Natural Impulse-She Went Away (Ali's dream record)

link

It's not a dream, one day it will be mine :D:thumbsup::unsure: Mwah haha haha haha (evil world dominating cackle)

Social source share

The usual way is that say 10 people create 10 copies of their CD and then send one each to the others.

On the content front i have been collecting for 20 years (not bought much in the last 10) and as it turned out my modern xover taste seemed more future proofed than my 60's stuff. So consequently i have quite a few of the big modern tracks and loads of also rans.

I have a /beverly and duane LP somewhere, what is the track you specifically wanted?

Social source share

Count me in - an excellent idea! Incidentally, I have a copy of the Tolbert 12 - Lucky Man for sale if anyone wants one - pm me!

Cheers

Steve

link

Got a copy of Tolbert as well, not for sale though. Be intresting to see what the copy in Manships auction goes for.

Count me in on cd swap.

Social source share

Glad to see more on board. I've got the "Lucky Man" 12" on Rojac, but "I Got It" is the tune I'm after of course. Just sold Kim Tolliver on Tayster "Party Lights". That one is decent.

KTF

Jas

link

Talking of cd swapsiz Jas ... never saw your's mate :rolleyes: Not sure if got lost in transit? Shame as I know you have loads of sounds, would have been interested in hearing some of them.

Social source share

I'm in the process of putting together a nice collection of rare boogie and modern soul tracks for a personal CD.

Would love to hear from some other members.

KTF

Jas

link

Sounds interesting....like to hear some of the toons...I like some modern tracks... whistling.gif

Social source share

Ok. As it stands, the following people have shown interest in the swap:

Tony Turner

Sebastian

petebangor

Awake 502

docfish

EmJayGee

alison

steveh73

CUNNIE

vnicepce

topdraweruk

Alex Subinas

That's 12 people. I guess I'll make this Friday the 29th the cut-off date. That way, maybe a few others can get in on it, too. Once Friday rolls around, we'll get cracking on things. I'll give two weeks from that date to complete the projects. That should give people plenty of time. August 12th will be the mail-out date. If you want mail before that date, please feel free.

Once again, the musical criteria isn't strict, but the thrust is mostly modern soul from the early 80s and boogie sounds. While making my CD, I'm doing my best to stay with independent labels and making sure I'm not just putting on all-out disco stuff and 80s funk. I'm trying to find soulful singing wherever I can. Like I said before, drum machines are fine with me. That's more to the boogie end of things I guess. Your selections can be tinged with funk, disco, electro or whatever. Also, if you feel like putting on a few contemporary sounds here and there, I see no harm in that. My CD is going to be geared toward early 80s sounds, but you can take it in your own direction.

If anybody has questions, feel free to PM me here at Soul Source or e-mail me at: jazzyjas@bellsouth.net

Thanks everyone! :shades:

KTF

Jas

PS. I've had a couple of folks say to me "What the hell IS boogie anyway?" I'll put up a separate post in "All About the Soul" referring to this topic. I'll do my best to give my own interpretation. Maybe others can add on what they know and correct me in case I'm wrong about some things.

Social source share

I'm interested in this Jas if there's still some room - might be a bit shy on the boogie front but I'm sure I can cobble together some stuff from the 80s onwards :lol:

Social source share

Ok everybody. i got a few more people and as it stands, we're looking at 15 participants. i'm going to close it up after today. i'll PM and/or e-mail everyone with details.

But as for now-I only have 3 or 4 addresses. Could everyone please send me their adresses. You can PM here or e-mail me at: jazzyjas@bellsouth.net.

CDs must be completed within 2 weeks.

Looking forward to this. Thanks everybody.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Ok everybody. i got a few more people and as it stands, we're looking at 15 participants. i'm going to close it up after today. i'll PM and/or e-mail everyone with details.

But as for now-I only have 3 or 4 addresses. Could everyone please send me their adresses. You can PM here or e-mail me at: jazzyjas@bellsouth.net.

CDs must be completed within 2 weeks.

Looking forward to this. Thanks everybody.

KTF

Jas

link

Oops nearly forgot, can I join in this now please? Would love an excuse to dig through my 12"S.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody...

Just a quick reminder that this Friday is "mail out" day for the Modern Soul/Boogie CD Swap. I've received a handful of addresses but still need some more. If you haven't given me your address yet, could you please PM me? Thanks.

I will try to PM all of you as well. I would like to have a solid list to send all the participants.

Thanks.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Hi Everyone

I have completed my CD and here is the track listing:-

1. Michael Henderson Assault With A Friendly Weapon Arista LP Fickle 1983

2. Sterling Harrison One More Time For Love Real World 1980

3. Grey & Hanks Now I'm Fine RCA LP Prime Time 1980

4. Garland Green Always Ocean Front LP 1983

5. Future Flight Walk Don't Run Capitol LP 1981

6. Five Special Just A Feeling Electra LP Trak'n 1981

7. Enchantment Utopia LP Columbia 1983

8. Dee Edwards Baby, This Time Cotillion Two Hearts Are better Than One 1980

9. William De Vaughan Hold On To Love TEC LP Figures Can't Calculate 1980

10. Controllers MCA LP 1984

11. Rance Allen Group God Can Do The Impossible Stax LP I Feel Like Going On 1980

12. Leon Bryant Just The Way You Like It De Lite LP 1981

13. Jerry Butler Let's Make Love Philly Int LP Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You 1978

14. Randy Brown Things That I Could Do To You Chocolate City LP Midnight Desire 1980

15. Samuel Jonathan Johnson Sweet Love Columbia LP My Music 1978

16. Instant Funk Passion Salsoul LP Kinky 1983

17. Lamont Johnson Music Of The Sun Tabu LP Music Of The Sun 1978

I decided to dig into the 80's albums and have gone for quite uptempo tracks - inspired by Roger's CD for another forum - there are plenty of good tracks in those album grooves!!!!

How are we doing with the addresses????

Best wishes

Colin

Social source share

WooHoo Appetie well and truly whetted now: Mines entitled 1980 "A llittle bit of before and afters"

Here's my listing:

1. Bev and Duane - I wanna be with you - Ariola album track

2. Stanley Clarke - Heaven Sent - Epic album track

3. Jimmy Helms - Leave it up to Luck - Mercury 12"

4. RumpleStiltskin - Everything's gonna work out fine - Heat album track

5. Mosley & Johnson - Baby Come Back - Muscle Shoals album track

6. California Executives - The same for me - Parliment album track

7. Gary Glenn - Got you on my mind - PPL album track

8. Magnetic Touch - Just in the nick of time - Almeria album track

9. Lawrence Hilton Jacobs - Wonder Woman - ABC album track

10. Little Anthony - Loves the only way to survive - Songbird album track

11. Dennis Rowland - I want you to myself - Saxville 7"

12. Willian Bostic - What you do to me - SOR 7"

13. 1-20 - Love is our destiny - 1-20 7"

14. Satin - your loves got me - Shell 7"

15. Horizon - They don't make 'em like you - AAA 7"

16. Tony Chambers - Stay Calm, Be Cool & Think Collectively - Mopres 7"

17. Veda - What's it all about - West Sounds

18. Lynn Vernerdo - ain't that something - white label 7"

19. Jerry & Champions - I need your lovin' - Clayboard 7"

20 - Clifton Dyson - I can't let you go - Washington 7"

I started similarly in the LP boxes then drifed to the 7"s whistling.gif

Social source share

In my enthusiasm - missed the titles of 2 tracks

7. Enchantment Somebody's Loving You Utopia LP Columbia 1983

10. Controllers Givin' Up On Love MCA LP 1984

Cheers

Colin

Social source share

WooHoo Appetie well and truly whetted now: Mines entitled 1980 "A llittle bit of before and afters"

Here's my listing:

16. Tony Chambers - Stay Calm, Be Cool & Think Collectively - Mopres 7"

I started similarly in the LP boxes then drifed to the 7"s whistling.gif

link

EmJayGee

Good tune - there was also an album called Can't Let This Moment Go on same label from 1981 which has 2 other good cuts - Don't Wait Too Long and Rocking Me In Your Arms - haven't got it myself. Recall Soul Sam featuring theses tracks circa mid 80's.

Colin

Social source share

Hello again everybody,

I know this is very last-minute, but I've got the address list 95% put together and still need the following addresses:

steveh73

Tony Turner

vnicepce

My CD is almost done. I've fallen behind a bit because of an extremely busy week of buying and selling records but it's a good thing because I've got a couple of unexpected goodies that will be included.

If you are any of the three SS'ers mentioned above, please PM me with your address and/or let me know if you still wish to participate in the swap. If I don't hear back soon, I will post the incomplete address list to the other members and we'll sort the other folks out later.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

<>

KTF

Jas

link

Mines all done, just waiting for the mailing list.... bit of a mixture of 70's and 80's...

01 The Controllers - Fill your life with love

02 Betty Wright - Give a smile

03 Donn Thomas - How can I help but love you

04 Alicia Myers - I fooled you this time

05 Cloudburst - I'm loving you

06 Coke Escovado - I wouldn't change a thing

07 Joe Coleman - Lady love

08 Dramatics - I can't stand it

09 Eddie Kendrick - Date with the rain

10 Bobby Jonz - Win your love

11 Khemistry - Can you feel my love

12 Luther - Don't wanna be a fool