The Friendly People

Billywhizz

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:hatsoff2: Hi in 1971/2 I think most people who found this great version of Sam Cooks orig, for 1 minute thought I got the BIG one. The other easy find was the Joneses "Sugar Pie Guy" both deserve a spin.

:ph34r: DAVE KIL

I'd say Sugar Pie Guy was a bloody difficult one to find in 71/72 whistling

You send me Brilliant trackthumbsup.gif

Social source share

you had to have it on a test press

hatsoff2.gif Yes that's right, it was a test press, I found them with many others on Stevenage Indoor Market, the Friendly People was also the white Demo, The issues seemed a little bit harder to locate. Maybe it was again down to what part of the country you lived in as in 70/1 I found a small warehouse crammed full of Motown and other imports, at the same time Letchworth Co-oP had 2 racks full of early UK 500 TMGs and EMI LPs such as the Impressions Big 16, & loads of Action records In Stevens record shop, yes Letchworth Hitchin & Stevenage had thousands of records,However it was not until I got to Know Mick Smith & John Wilkinson (NOTTS) that I found out what to look for???ph34r.gif Dave

Social source share

I like the version of "you send me" too............but for me the flipside "Mr Moonlight" (with female lead vocal) is the one yes.gif

Cheers Paul

hatsoff2.gif AS USEUAL MY BRAIN NOT INTO GEAR?? OF CORSE IT WAS NOT "SUGUR PIE GUY" it was "PULL MY STRING" However it still sounds good with that Detroit Emeralds "feel the need" hook, as for the S P G? what a classic,ph34r.gif DAVE "OOOPS" KIL
Social source share

hatsoff2.gif AS USEUAL MY BRAIN NOT INTO GEAR?? OF CORSE IT WAS NOT "SUGUR PIE GUY" it was "PULL MY STRING" However it still sounds good with that Detroit Emeralds "feel the need" hook, as for the S P G? what a classic,ph34r.gif DAVE "OOOPS" KIL

Just got 'Sugar pie guy' out and played it, first time for bloody years, may have been the wrong record but still a nice one Dave!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif Hi in 1971/2 I think most people who found this great version of Sam Cooks orig, for 1 minute thought I got the BIG one. The other easy find was the Joneses "Sugar Pie Guy" both deserve a spin.

ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

That just took me right back in time, a real deja vu - I clearly remember getting it in about 73/74 from a junk shop and yes, thinking exactly that!! That I'd made my first big discovery at 14! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Just got 'Sugar pie guy' out and played it, first time for bloody years, may have been the wrong record but still a nice one Dave!thumbsup.gif

hatsoff2.gif CHEERS FOR THAT. I have been playing loads of oldies tonight, and Dee Clarks "I don,t need" on Constellation 165 sounds crisp as does "give the man a chance" the SOUL TWINS, GREAT SOULph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert