Groovesville

Just back (early I know!) from an excellent night at Bedford. Well played sets from Steve G, and yes, Ive got to say it - Bearsy and from the fantastic ears of Fred Krol. these three stood out for me as they definately delivered. Fred played some fooking awesome tracks and thats the only way i can describe him....Steve always gets me on the floor and Bearsy - well done for filling that dancefloor.

Great little venue, dark and atmospheric - just how I like em!:lol: Lovely friendly vibe and loads of nice people. Come on folks - youre missing a good thing. :thumbup:Big thanks to Toby for inviting me down, keep at it mate.

Denise xx

Edited by Ganche
  • Replies 27
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi again D,

Great to see you and all the other reprobates - you know who you are.wicked.gif

Can't really disagree with you at all. Maybe about Bearsy though.laugh.gif

I always enjoy Groovesville, my type of club and people.

Best night for me so far this year.

Really sums it up when you have people traveling from Runcorn, West Midlands and Sussex.

Quality will always shine throughthumbup.gif

Cracking night and kudos to Toby and Andy.

Top blokes and no hidden agendas.

Mr.Krol did it for me but that is no way a criticism of the other DJ's.

Thanks for the CD Toby.

See you next week buddy and roll on the next Groovesville.

Best to all

Tabs

Just back (early I know!) from an excellent night at Bedford. Well played sets from Steve G, and yes, Ive got to say it - Bearsy and from the fantastic ears of Fred Krol. these three stood out for me as they definately delivered. Fred played some fooking awesome tracks and thats the only way i can describe him....Steve always gets me on the floor and Bearsy - well done for filling that dancefloor.

Great little venue, dark and atmospheric - just how I like em!whistling.gif Lovely friendly vibe and loads of nice people. Come on folks - youre missing a good thing. :thumbup:Big thanks to Toby for inviting me down, keep at it mate.

Denise xx

Guest outonthefloor

Thanks for a great nite boys xx Happy Birthday Toby xx

Bearsey has changed direction since I last heard him out...seems like he has been playing with the big boys!!!

Dr Pickles the man of the night for me "all killers no fillers" as they say, Top tunes from a top guy although my hips and ankles hate you, its official xx

Good to see all the Kent boys plus the usual suspects and great Kevin made it in the end xx

Great friends, great music some good chuckles too.....Tabs i never did get that slow dance!!!!

Thanks for all your kind comments

Lotsa love

H x

Edited by outonthefloor
Guest gordon russell

Well, Jan & me had a very good time at groovesville indeed.We would normally have gone to our favourite place,but we said we would go along to support our mate Fred at Groovesville and didn,t he do wellthumbsup.gif even though his nerves got the better of him and he overdid the dutch courage lollaugh.gif .Music was brill for a southern do....a great mix of stuff,whilst keeping the vibe/tempo upbeat.A revelation for me was Bearsy's spot...kicking or what!! well done fella.Steve G played some super gritty funk edged stuff as well as class current stuff. My good mate Cliff Steel also played a very good mixed set best i,ve heard for a while.Pickles played his usual class set of gritty tunes that are right oop my street. Missed Molly's set as we had to leave (sorry mate).Well done to Toby & Andy for a spot on night......keep the right dj,s and this will be one of the souths premiere dance venues for sure......proper tunes!!!!

Great nite, thanks go to Andy and Toby for their hospitality... well worth the journey down country to here some great djs my faves Bearsy, Cliff S and Steve G..Sorry Dr Pickles missed your spot and and arrived late so missed first spot too Sorry guys !!!. great to catch up with Mr Wags and the contingent from the west mids Inc Shorny, Roger, lou, woody, Mr Massey, Mr weston too... plus great to catch up with tabs, Gaunche, and Dave Crawley ( thanks for the offer of Sunday Lunch Dave and Sandi)

Thanks again to ther Groovesville Team great numbers great venue....

Guest Sean Haydon

First time for me at Groovesville, gotta say I was very, very impressed. Walked in and thought, yep, this place has got it! Good soulies in attendance, Great venue, dark and seedy (suits me). Musically, I thought all the DJ's played great soul music, the best you'll hear anywhere. Each playing their own particular style and all keeping the floor busy all night long. For me, an unbiased opinion, I was well entertained by Bearsy first of all, but Dr. Pickles, Christ mate, wicked set! Loved it!

Toby/Andy, well done and respect to both of you, you run a great, no politics club for people who clearly like a good time. Roll on the next one! thumbup.gif

Sean

just got back home after a brilliant night at Groovesville and want to thank Toby & Andy for inviting me up to play some tunes thumbsup.gif

great turn out great atmosphere lots of smiley happy dancing soulies and a real pleasure to be a part of it thumbup.gif

musically it was top draw from start to finish and to play alongside the likes of Steve, Fred, Cliff, Chris and Molly was an absolute honour hatsoff2.gif

all in top top night, top peeps and top promoters and a bloody good craic thumbup.gif

roll on the next one cos the line loooks fooking amazing and one not to miss so get your arses there you wont be dissapointed good.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Have to agree that the tunes were tip top all night, even when Bearsy took his big match nerves up to the decks :thumbup: The pressure was clearly telling on him in the build up to the big hour as the distinctly unfragrant emissions from his backside beforehand were enough to make Hercules his trusty carthorse blush :ohmy: Thanks for the wake up call though toxic arse. :thumbup: I think everyone that stayed would reccommend the late check out at the Park Inn Hotel which allows a decent kip even after a 4am finish. It may look like the Bulgarian secret police headquarters from the outside but the rooms are the dog's. Cheers Toby & Andy for a cracking night.

Taff

Edited by Saxafone
Guest gordon russell

Great nite, thanks go to Andy and Toby for their hospitality... well worth the journey down country to here some great djs my faves Bearsy, Cliff S and Steve G..Sorry Dr Pickles missed your spot and and arrived late so missed first spot too Sorry guys !!!. great to catch up with Mr Wags and the contingent from the west mids Inc Shorny, Roger, lou, woody, Mr Massey, Mr weston too... plus great to catch up with tabs, Gaunche, and Dave Crawley ( thanks for the offer of Sunday Lunch Dave and Sandi)

Thanks again to ther Groovesville Team great numbers great venue....

thats nice.......what about the music,did you not have any thoughts about the main reason for going?:chinstroke:

Saturday night was just the platform that Groovesville needed after the set backs last year. Numbers were vastly improved, with more travellers in attendance too. From 9pm onwards the numbers steadily improved and by 10ish the dance floor was in full flow. And credit to everyone for staying there for the rest of the night. Musically the night flowed perfectly, each DJ following the previous in the right way and thinking about the job in hand. And the credit for that along with the DJ's must go to Toby, who I'm told thought long and hard about the order of the line up. Well done mate sometimes its not as easy as it looks, but you got it spot on.

I watched and listened to every DJ on the night and enjoyed everyones sets for different reasons. Thanks Cliff for Eugene Smiley still sounds as fresh as when I first heard you play it 6 years ago. I will get one one day :yes: . It was the first time I had heard Fred Krull play out, I had been told about him and everything I was told was true. An absolutely awesome set top quality 60's and a few top notch 70's thrown in for good measure.Put together and thought about perfectly. Fred it was right up my street entirely, well done mate.

Everyone I spoke to said how much they enjoyed themselves, so everyone please spread the word Groovesville is definitely the place to be seen.

If I don't see you before see you on the 8th May with the Groovesville residents and guests -: Karl Heard, Ted Massey, Steve Csordas, Shorny and Chris. It's got quality written all over it :thumbup:

Best

Molly

Can i start by saying thankyou to all of you who attended,you all looked like you enjoyed it.

After the last years venue moves,local council suspending the the last one,its been a worry and a lot of effort was put in by Andy Kempster & myself,we think were just about there , a few more tweeks and sqeezes and it will be done.

Thanks to all....mostly travellers,not many locals (why?)The West Midlands crew were out in force.

Our policy regards DJs is we want to give you all somthing a bit differant,rare,not so rare,cutting edge tunes,storming stuff and the mix of DJs we have do just that.......we have NO intention of changing that or the format we have worked hard to get.

Our DJs on the night ALL played outstanding sets(we dont tell em who or what to play,they know what the punter wants).

Paul Johnson(PJ)..for a fella who aint in the best of health and his 1st time out in years got it right unknowns underplayed great tunes,i knew you could do it ..

Steve G..As you would expect from Steve wonderfull records that seemed to set the tone for the night to come,a hard act to follow..

Bearsy..The souths most up and coming DJ (IMO)nervous before he went up,(understandably) but boy did he give it some yes he did he thought long and hard about his set it paid off for him...well done son..

Fred Krol..Awesome,outstanding 1st time for us,he steped up to plate and he give to you all,this man has got it all,i have listened to Fred before and sort of knew what he would do,but at this event he went beyond that it blew me away,i hope your hangover was'nt to bad Fred......Your best in your game mate and a big thankyou from all..

Cliff Steele..Thank god your one of our residents,class all the way tune after tune,with a soul knowledge second to none that shines thru'..

Dr Pickles(Chris)..we wanted to Pickles to have a later spot than normal,he deserves it,He picked it up shook it up and delivered th best spot i have ever heard him play,fantastic set from Chris,and again im proud to say he is a regular feature at Groovesville,wll done mate(i mean that)..

Molly..Molly brings something to decks like no other,great tunes played one after the other and with a smile on his face,he sends people off into the night happy,cheers mate..

We at Groovesville thank you ALL who played outstanding records,danced,enjoyed it......we did..

Our next venture out is on MAY 8th 8.00 till 04.00am with a line up of,....Karl Heard....Ted Massey....Steve c....Dr Pickles....

Steve G....Cliff Steele.....Molly & Shorny & Chris..

We at Groovesville aim to please, you the soul person...see ya all in May then for the next great night out in the south.

Toby & Andy..

My first trip to Groovesville at its Bedford venue. I liked the place and the sound system was spot on. Music wise...a real quality night although Chris Stanley could do with picking up the pace a bit ......those mid tempo things just don't do it for me late onlaugh.gif .

Thanks Andy and Toby for the free night.

Guest Dr Pickles

Fantastic night.

Great to have the promoter pull you to one side and say "play whatever you want, just enjoy yourself". So we all did. No pressure.

The music really did flow through the night with all taste catered for.

All of the above was possible because the crowd seemed so responsive. Cheering and clapping songs, dancing to stuff I'm sure (and hope) they've never heard. DJ's dancing to and appreciating other sets. A very relaxed atmosphere of like minded people having a great time.

Many thanks to Andy and Toby. You got everything right.

See you at the next one

Doc

Guest Sean Haydon

Fantastic night.

Great to have the promoter pull you to one side and say "play whatever you want, just enjoy yourself". So we all did. No pressure.

The music really did flow through the night with all taste catered for.

All of the above was possible because the crowd seemed so responsive. Cheering and clapping songs, dancing to stuff I'm sure (and hope) they've never heard. DJ's dancing to and appreciating other sets. A very relaxed atmosphere of like minded people having a great time.

Many thanks to Andy and Toby. You got everything right.

See you at the next one

Doc

Dr. Pickles, can I get a prescription for my bad foot? It's your fault i'm limping around todaylaugh.gif. Worth it though, great tunes mategood.gif.

Dr. Pickles, can I get a prescription for my bad foot? It's your fault i'm limping around todaylaugh.gif. Worth it though, great tunes mategood.gif.

got to agree with you the boy Pickles did good very good and a top bloke too but he is only who he is cos of that lovely lady of his Lou laugh.gif

good to meet you to Shorny good.gif

still buzzing from Saturday it was fooking brilliant and me arse has finally settled down, roll on the next one thumbup.gif

Got to agree all the DJ's played out of there skins.

Perhaps your nerves actually concentrated the mind cus' you played a blinder.thumbup.gif

Just a suggestion but could the DJ's post up some of there plays.

Doesn't have to be the full set but it will give others the opportunity to see what they missed.

Thanks

still buzzing from Saturday it was fooking brilliant and me arse has finally settled down, roll on the next one thumbup.gif

WELL THANKS TOBY AND ANDY FOR GIVING US A BRILL NITE OUT, REALLY ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH, GROOVED ME THING ON THE DANCEFLOOR A FEW TIMES, MUSIC WAS FIRST CLASS, AND VERY UPTEMPO, GREAT SET FROM BEARSY, HE IS AN UP AND COMING DJ, IN EVERY WAY, HIS HEART IS SO IN THE RIGHT PLACE, ARE YA READING THIS,ITS YR SOUL MAM SPEAKING YOU CHEEKY GIT laugh.gif CANT FAULT ANYONE REALLY, FRED WAS BRILL, AS WAS CLIFF, UPSTANDING SET! WOODY HAD A HARD JOURNEY HE WAS NOT EXPECTING TO DO. JUST A REMINDER TO PEOPLE, HES DONE 500 MILES LAST WEEK BEFOR HE CAME HOME FRI, AND THEN DROVE TO GROOVESVILLE BLESS HIM, WE FOUND A BED AT CHRISSYS, SO HE COULD REST BEFOR GOING HOME,NO TEA BAGS AS USUAL! AND BACK DOWN SOUTH AGAIN TO-DAY, SO WE DO TRY TO GET TO AS MANY PLACES AS WE CAN, AND WOULD DEFENATLY MAKE THE TRIP AGAIN, THE LINE UP WAS FIRST CLASS, AND THATS WHAT MAKES IT WORK, THEY ALL FLOWED BRILLAINTLY TO-GETHER, AND PAUL WAS SO SHITTING HIM SELF, NO NEED, YOU DID GREAT MATE! WAS GOOD TO CATCH UP WITH SO MANY FOLK I AINT SEEN FOR AGES, SUCH GOOD COMPANY, WHICH MAKES A GREAT SOUL NITE EVEN BETTER :wicked:

This review landed on me from a friend, sort of sums up the night well -----------

"I made a snap decision to attend the Groovesville mini nighter in Bedford last night. It was free entry as well... a kind of apology due to the last one being cancelled at the very last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. I'd not been to Groovesville before but what enticed me last year was the DJ line-up. The replay last night showcased the same line-up as the cancelled event so it was the excuse to attend I needed.

I packed a couple of clean tops in my spangly bag and hit the road.

I danced most of the night up to 4am and the sweat rolled off me like some old fish wife! I got into bed when I got home and stared at the back of my eyelids for two hours.

Bedford's a bit of a pain to get to from mine and it took around 2½ hours up the M4 and M1. A one-way nightmare of a road system, 3 circuits later we arrived outside the Angel :wicked:

Toby and Andy greeted us on the door and wrapped pink bands around our wrists.

I don't know who was playing when we first arrived but Simsy wasn't able to be there so I think this other guy stepped in. All the DJ's offered a plethora of soul that was a balanced mix and quite an exciting mix if you ask me!

Bearsy's set was excellent. I thought he'd put it together very well and the floor responded with as much passion and enthusiasm as he was emanating from the stage. And thanks for the coconut dedication! Lots of chitchat throughout the night with his Girlfriend, Marie... you've got a diamond there Bearsy; she's wonderful.

Fred Krol was pissed as a fart, he was so funny rolleyes.gif

Pissed or not, he still delivered the goods and we twirled and stomped across that dance floor tribal style. I'd missed him at the Burnley gig I went to as he was on holiday so I was glad to hear what he had to offer at last.

Had a nice chat with Steve Guarnori; couldn't believe he was the one that I used to fight with tooth and nail because he seemed a lovely bloke and quite quiet too! Just goes to show that the internet really is a spawning ground for keyboard warriors.

Cliffe Steel was on top form as usual. Out of all the DJ's not one of them had the Marva Whitney Pappa Bear record! Never mind, Cliffe said he'll take it to Lifeline for me.

Dr Pickles and Molly kept the floor heaving right until the end. All in all a superb night with fantastic company. Helen, you're looking great! There'll be nothing left of you come Prestatyn

The venue itself is a bit of a hole. Just how I like it. I would have preferred a larger dance floor but on reflection, the whole night worked well and the room was comfortably busy. I don't think I had trouble getting on the dance floor but then I'm a bit of an argy bargy when it comes to getting floor space. The bar staff were really friendly as well.

Really lovely to see Mark Pacan, and his sister Bev. Also lovely to see Denise out and about and also the two Lorrain's. Molly's partner and Dr Pickles partner. Yet another couple of lovely girls. The whole room was full of lovely people!

So pleased to see John Weston as I've not seen him for yonks. Also Woody & Lou... the whole night was like one big happy family

So, a massive thank you to everyone that made my night what it was... FANTASTIC"

Think I'd agree with that, had great friendly feel.

I was at Hinckley 7th Anniversary (but my first visit) 8pm - 11.15 ish (well was actually there at 7.30pm lol) so after a further hours travel got to Groovesville for about 12.30am - staying to the nr end..........carried three Oldies fans down with me

Dance floor tad small only real thing ......... but I managed to dance to a few...........

Nice to see Helen, Andy and Toby..........Kev and Sharon Spittle too (I will make Sounds Of Soul, one time soon )..........

For some reason I had it down as a rare soul nite, so apologies for mention at some of the more modern leaning tunes,,,,,,,,,,,,,only a couple lol

All in all a real credit to the organisers.

Free was a bonus, was scheduled to attend the last, and when cancelled went to Sixhills but would happily have paid an entry.........

Yep, nice one guys :huh:

On the outskirts of town there's a sign that says welcome to Groovesville!

And so it came to pass! A great choice to have as my first soul outing of 2010. I loved the venue, especially as there were no chairs and tables in the room with the dance floor. The music was top notch all night and it would be unfair to single out any dj. I will however give a mention to Bearsy and Dr Pickles, but only because I knew them both as friends before they started to DJ so it was great to see them flourishing behind the decks. :wicked:

Anyway, the legs felt stiff the next day, always a good sign, so thanks to the organizers for a great (and free) night and would I come back and pay to get in.....of course!! thumbup.gif

I forgot to mention, that on the way home, we stopped of at Aldi, for a bit o shoppin, cos my cupboards are bare, and we bump into little snowy who promptly pushed me trolley round for me, now thats wot you call a truly soulful finish to a weekend of soul :thumbsup:

where,s the playlist lads, gives people an Idea of wots played, apart from lookbacks ect!

Can i start by saying thankyou to all of you who attended,you all looked like you enjoyed it.

After the last years venue moves,local council suspending the the last one,its been a worry and a lot of effort was put in by Andy Kempster & myself,we think were just about there , a few more tweeks and sqeezes and it will be done.

Thanks to all....mostly travellers,not many locals (why?)The West Midlands crew were out in force.

Our policy regards DJs is we want to give you all somthing a bit differant,rare,not so rare,cutting edge tunes,storming stuff and the mix of DJs we have do just that.......we have NO intention of changing that or the format we have worked hard to get.

Our DJs on the night ALL played outstanding sets(we dont tell em who or what to play,they know what the punter wants).

Paul Johnson(PJ)..for a fella who aint in the best of health and his 1st time out in years got it right unknowns underplayed great tunes,i knew you could do it ..

Steve G..As you would expect from Steve wonderfull records that seemed to set the tone for the night to come,a hard act to follow..

Bearsy..The souths most up and coming DJ (IMO)nervous before he went up,(understandably) but boy did he give it some yes he did he thought long and hard about his set it paid off for him...well done son..

Fred Krol..Awesome,outstanding 1st time for us,he steped up to plate and he give to you all,this man has got it all,i have listened to Fred before and sort of knew what he would do,but at this event he went beyond that it blew me away,i hope your hangover was'nt to bad Fred......Your best in your game mate and a big thankyou from all..

Cliff Steele..Thank god your one of our residents,class all the way tune after tune,with a soul knowledge second to none that shines thru'..

Dr Pickles(Chris)..we wanted to Pickles to have a later spot than normal,he deserves it,He picked it up shook it up and delivered th best spot i have ever heard him play,fantastic set from Chris,and again im proud to say he is a regular feature at Groovesville,wll done mate(i mean that)..

Molly..Molly brings something to decks like no other,great tunes played one after the other and with a smile on his face,he sends people off into the night happy,cheers mate..

We at Groovesville thank you ALL who played outstanding records,danced,enjoyed it......we did..

Our next venture out is on MAY 8th 8.00 till 04.00am with a line up of,....Karl Heard....Ted Massey....Steve c....Dr Pickles....

Steve G....Cliff Steele.....Molly & Shorny & Chris..

We at Groovesville aim to please, you the soul person...see ya all in May then for the next great night out in the south.

Toby & Andy..

Well Toby,

Looks like it's finally coming together in Bedford, Musically spot on, not singling out any DJ's cause they all delivered.

If you can get people to travel (as you did), then the rest will fall into place.

Top Top Night, I stayed til about 3.30 and I was working at 6.00 AM That says it all !!!!!

Keep up the good work

ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Guest Andy Kempster

hello everyone

sorry for the late response, first time i've been able to get to a pc since the night in question.

i really dont think that there is much more that i can add to any of the previous comments on this thread

i will say though that it was a storming night and have to thank not only the djs for pulling out top class sets throughout the night, 8 hours without a blip cant be bad but alos to everyone who attended, so many up for it people in one place is a rarity this far south so lets hope we can keep it this way, what a night, the atmosphere was positively crackling

also, have to give a mention to Esron and the rest of the staff at the angel, what a great bunch of people, the bar staff and the door staff friendly and smiling til the end.

this has been a long time in the making and hasnt been without its ups and downs but it seems that we have now found our spiritual home

bring on may 8th when the groovesville express next screeches to a halt in sunny bedford

to one and all

i thank you hatsoff2.gif

Yes certainly was a banging night.

The fella on early doors played some nice slower midtempo stuff - good one. Was a bit worried at first as it was quiet - but then remembered our car load had got there early doors. Soon filled up. Bearsy rose to the challenge and I enjoyed being on earlier so I could mix a few different things / unknowns in with the known stuff. Good to meet Fred K and missus too - see we ARE a friendly lot down here. And Karen - we did fall out once, but got on very well when we met (internet warriors :thumbup:). Also chatted to some others I'd not spoken to before - very friendly vibe in this club.

Dave F was sharing tales of his record tracking exploits - top stuff mate. And Chunky - agree on the Soul Dynamics :thumbup: Simon Murray after all the 'bigging up' where were you?

I almost confused Andy 123K with Russ Vickers - get your hair cut lad.....Seriously a top night with good atmosphere, danced quite a bit too. Our car load all went home happy and that's what it's all about! And the Sheepherders sounds a lot better over a system than it does on a PC :thumbup:

Roll on May.....

Source Advert