Public Liability Insurance

Guest SteveJohnston

Guest SteveJohnston

Public liability Insurance.

This may have been done before I’m just pointing this out to anyone that is ignorant to the fact if you run a soul night it is advisable to contact the venue and ask them if there PLI covers yourself all the DJ’s and anyone attending the night when you hire the room.

This only came to light last month after the night we run at the Stute.

The club management informed me we needed to take out PLI to keep on running the night so I started to look into doing this, You can get insured for about £100 with one of the companies that offers mobile DJ PLI cover BUT! It only covers the name on the policy, all the rest of the DJ’s are not covered or any of the equipment there using at the time.

Consequently it has taken me near three weeks to get this sorted so we have PLI cover, cost £154.00 for one million over 12 months with any one event not lasting more than three days & a total of 15 events in 12 months, cover is for accident resulting from usage of DJ equipment, Fire from DJ equipment, electric shock from DJ equipment that is in PAT test date, & is to cover all attendees of the night, lighting rig or temp stage setup is not covered,.

If anyone needs this kind of cover give Karen a ring at Brown Bevan on 0115 9930489 or Karen@brownbevan.co.uk

Steve J

Sorry Mods move if needed!

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SteveJohnston

Most clubs who hire their venue should have this anyway I would have thought?

So did i but the cost of PLI to cover anyone that hires a room is very fookin high so most clubs have droped this from there ins cover!

Social source share

Most clubs who hire their venue should have this anyway I would have thought?

Yes Chalky the clubs will have cover or most of them

but you as the hirer need all those things too or you could be asking for trouble you also need a risk assessment tooyes.gif . most folks are just ignorant of it and liability

where theres blame there is a claim sadly

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Yes Chalky the clubs will have cover or most of them

but you as the hirer need all those things too or you could be asking for trouble you also need a risk assessment tooyes.gif . most folks are just ignorant of it and liability

where theres blame there is a claim sadly

Its good issuing the DJs with ear plugs at Brid isn't mate !!

laugh.gif

Social source share

on a similar sort of thing

been a few threads about event costs

one thing that never seen get a mentioned was "doormen"

maybe varies through out the uk

but I found out that can be quite a substanial cost as well

espically say for allnighters - 8 hrs with 2-400

forget the figures/rates but was a sizeable chunk

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

when we did the Cardiff allnighters the venue insisted that we had PLI for about 3 million ohmy.gif it cost us around the £200 for each allnighter, the venues we used for our soul nights had their own PLI that covered us (included in the hire cost), not many people think of stuff like insurance when they put a night on you can never be to safe in my book,

one of the reasons we fell out with the last venue is because they told us that a man slipped and fell over the next day after one of our nights because of talc residue on the floor understandably they were terrified of a big claim

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

on a similar sort of thing

been a few threads about event costs

one thing that never seen get a mentioned was "doormen"

maybe varies through out the uk

but I found out that can be quite a substanial cost as well

espically say for allnighters - 8 hrs with 2-400

forget the figures/rates but was a sizeable chunk

we used to pay £15-20 per hour for SIA registered door staff, the first all nighter we did the venue insisted we had 8 door staff he didn't under stand the concept of a soul allnighter i think he thought we were having some sort of ravebiggrin.gif

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Public liability Insurance.

This may have been done before I'm just pointing this out to anyone that is ignorant to the fact if you run a soul night it is advisable to contact the venue and ask them if there PLI covers yourself all the DJ's and anyone attending the night when you hire the room.

This only came to light last month after the night we run at the Stute.

The club management informed me we needed to take out PLI to keep on running the night so I started to look into doing this, You can get insured for about £100 with one of the companies that offers mobile DJ PLI cover BUT! It only covers the name on the policy, all the rest of the DJ's are not covered or any of the equipment there using at the time.

Consequently it has taken me near three weeks to get this sorted so we have PLI cover, cost £154.00 for one million over 12 months with any one event not lasting more than three days & a total of 15 events in 12 months, cover is for accident resulting from usage of DJ equipment, Fire from DJ equipment, electric shock from DJ equipment that is in PAT test date, & is to cover all attendees of the night, lighting rig or temp stage setup is not covered,.

If anyone needs this kind of cover give Karen a ring at Brown Bevan on 0115 9930489 or Karen@brownbevan.co.uk

Steve J

Sorry Mods move if needed!

----------

but steve,,does this cover your punters slipping on talc and breaking limbs etc,? by the sound of it it doesnt,,,may be wrong?

Social source share

we used to pay £15-20 per hour for SIA registered door staff, the first all nighter we did the venue insisted we had 8 door staff he didn't under stand the concept of a soul allnighter i think he thought we were having some sort of ravebiggrin.gif

8 staff x 20 quid x 8 hours = a lot of wedge :thumbsup:

Social source share

The law is 1 doorman per 100 people minimum. Thats minimum you may need more

Also if you use a door company that is a limited company they must supply their own insurance (bonus) for themselves

Council run halls have insurance but insist you have your own normally, this saves on them having to pay more next year if they have a claim.

Running an event in one of these type of venues is a nightmare

they even charge you royalties for the music

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

----------

but steve,,does this cover your punters slipping on talc and breaking limbs etc,? by the sound of it it doesnt,,,may be wrong?

Hi Mark there is a no talc policy at the Stute with posters up to say so. I tryed to get this kind of insurance i was told by all brokers that if anyone needed cover for when there dancing it's down to the individual to get PI Insurance. No PLI will cover for somone sliping or a trip on a dance floor other than on a spilt drink and even then they would strongly fight any claim it would be down to the injured party to prove that the staff knew about the spill.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest andrew bin

The law is 1 doorman per 100 people minimum. Thats minimum you may need more

Also if you use a door company that is a limited company they must supply their own insurance (bonus) for themselves

Council run halls have insurance but insist you have your own normally, this saves on them having to pay more next year if they have a claim.

Running an event in one of these type of venues is a nightmare

they even charge you royalties for the music

Hi pete

thats spot on, the coal excahnge's policy was 2 doormen on the door and then 1 per 100 people but because we were pay on the door they insisted on enough doormen to cover max capacity which was about 650, to be fair mike who managed the place was straight down the line and on subsequent allnighters once he realized we weren't all a bunch of idiots he lowered the amount of door men we needed.

it must be the easy est gig in the world for doormen at a soul doo, at the first allnighter we did one of the door men took off his jacket half way through the night and danced until the end :laugh: easy money or what,

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Not a question of not understanding the concept of what you were doing as i think you will find legally any venue that provides security/ door staff has to have one per 100 punters. That's a pretty standard insurance/licencing board requirement these day's. Imagine 50 drunks trying to gate crash a gig late at night with just one guy on the door. Yep you might say well the punters will sort it BUT the law does'nt respect that cos the punters ain't allowed to manhandle people, even if they are being bloody nuicances. Law suits will follow and it's usually the innocent that suffers. Best to check with any venue before you arrange to put a night on otherwise it could be costly. Better safe than sorry.

Social source share

Not a question of not understanding the concept of what you were doing as i think you will find legally any venue that provides security/ door staff has to have one per 100 punters. That's a pretty standard insurance/licencing board requirement these day's. Imagine 50 drunks trying to gate crash a gig late at night with just one guy on the door. Yep you might say well the punters will sort it BUT the law does'nt respect that cos the punters ain't allowed to manhandle people, even if they are being bloody nuicances. Law suits will follow and it's usually the innocent that suffers. Best to check with any venue before you arrange to put a night on otherwise it could be costly. Better safe than sorry.

The 2 on the front door count in the 1 per 100 calculation as they can shut the door if called inside. if you only expect 200 its a good idea to have 1 extra inside.

Doormen are licensed stewards not bouncers. They are not supposed to lay hands on unless no choice. Unlicensed helpers can help out but but can be sued or arrested if they assault someone. Grabbing hold of someone is an assault.

50 people crashing the front door is a matter for the police not stewards by the way

Social source share

Guest soulboy
post-14646-126676074309_thumb.jpgThis is a very grey area ! I dj all over and have my own insurance just in case ,some places ask to have a copy most dont , Im sure if you do as much as you can you would be ok ,we always put out no talc posters but people still use it !if you say anything about it all you get is a ear bashing ,we always have at least 2 door men for peace of mind ,as said before a very easy job for them, we have never had any problems that have needed them , and in fact they prob end up making more money out of the night than we do at the end of the day ,same with pat testing some places want to see it others dont bother , iv spoked to the people who test the stuff and all have told me its more or less a waste of time ? It makes you wonder why you take the risk of putting on a soul night not knowing how many will turn up ,and all the cost ,but still we do it ?

post-14646-126676074309_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert