Cleethorpes Pier & Winter Gardens

Guest miff

Dont think anyones done one of these for Cleethorpes so lets see them, also therese surposed be a DVD taken from the last Winter Gardens if anybody got one or knows where i can get one from i would be greatfull thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 64
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Dont think anyones done one of these for Cleethorpes so lets see them, also therese surposed be a DVD taken from the last Winter Gardens if anybody got one or knows where i can get one from i would be greatfull thumbsup.gif

post-664-12689103946133_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest JimSLH

Think you need to speak to Ian Dewhirst he may have a few bits but also I know some one who has an original poster of cleethorpes which I have been trying to get a copy of

which would have been great for my website

Social source share

I have a copy of the DVD - a double - that was produced following the all dayer at the WG .

I will send you a PM when I get in from work , as despite being able to view SS and contribute while at work in break times , it will not let me send emails .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I have a copy of the DVD - a double - that was produced following the all dayer at the WG .

I will send you a PM when I get in from work , as despite being able to view SS and contribute while at work in break times , it will not let me send emails .

Malc Burton

Thought you'd have took early retirement now you got ya bus pass

Old git

biggrin.gif

Social source share

Thought you'd have took early retirement now you got ya bus pass

Old git

biggrin.gif

Chance would be a fine thing ......

I still have go t'mill , as Lady B likes to be kept in the manner she has become accustomed to , and I still have to pay the bank the last 4K i owe on the mortgage .

Will email you later Dave .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Chance would be a fine thing ......

I still have go t'mill , as Lady B likes to be kept in the manner she has become accustomed to , and I still have to pay the bank the last 4K i owe on the mortgage .

Will email you later Dave .

Malc Burton

Hokey dokey mister thumbsup.gif

Now get back to ya cheese & pickle sandwiches laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Winter Garden Stage . Soul Sam on the decks Gas Sewell looking gay next to him , last alldayer

post-664-12689161699452_thumb.jpg

Edited by miff
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thanks for that some old frends on these clips even got a glimpse of myself dancing happy daysthumbsup.gif

Did ya get my PM?

Social source share

oh blimey , i'd forgotten how that looked inside. i think the last time i went was around 81/82 in Harry's mini bus :lol: a maze of doorways to get to the 2nd room if i remember correctly. a couple of tunes that stick in my mind from there were 'Flame n King - oh happy days' & 'Edwin Starr- Time'

great place, thanks for posting, IAN

Social source share

oh blimey , i'd forgotten how that looked inside. i think the last time i went was around 81/82 in Harry's mini bus :lol: a maze of doorways to get to the 2nd room if i remember correctly. a couple of tunes that stick in my mind from there were 'Flame n King - oh happy days' & 'Edwin Starr- Time'

great place, thanks for posting, IAN

I was in conversation on t'telephone with Rob Wicks last night , discussing The Pier and The WG for a project , and both of us still feel that Cleethorpes has never really had the recognition it truly deserves .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I was in conversation on t'telephone with Rob Wicks last night , discussing The Pier and The WG for a project , and both of us still feel that Cleethorpes has never really had the recognition it truly deserves .

Malc Burton

Yeh too True Malc. yep im doing a article on the Pier/WG's to maybe give folks a diif view on things etc ... theres loads of folks out there that never experianced the place nuff said for the mo , if anyone out there with any good photos scans of badges from the period there, it would be nice to have a look and you never know i may use them please pm me

for those that are interested The Pier nightclub co is bust, the locals are trying to drum up interest to try and get it purchased and refurbed to its former glory so it could be used like the WG's

nuff said

Rob

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Think you need to speak to Ian Dewhirst he may have a few bits but also I know some one who has an original poster of cleethorpes which I have been trying to get a copy of

which would have been great for my website

Social source share

Here is an old photo of our very own Spot - with hair - See you in Newquay Spot if not before, I'm bringing Douglas with me so you'd best warn Gail.

Lorraine post-299-12689574146254_thumb.jpg

Edited by lds
Social source share

Yeh too True Malc. yep im doing a article on the Pier/WG's to maybe give folks a diif view on things etc ... theres loads of folks out there that never experianced the place nuff said for the mo , if anyone out there with any good photos scans of badges from the period there, it would be nice to have a look and you never know i may use them please pm me

for those that are interested The Pier nightclub co is bust, the locals are trying to drum up interest to try and get it purchased and refurbed to its former glory so it could be used like the WG's

nuff said

Rob

As we discussed Rob , will " the former glory " of the pier , include the section that was cut out of its' original length during the Second World War ( 1940 to be precise ) , so that any German invasion force that came by sea and boarded

it , could not get onto the promenade ?

I forgot to tell you when we were discussing it Rob , was that after the section was cut out , the Home Guard were put on nightly sentry duty , watching for any invasion by sea :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

As we discussed Rob , will " the former glory " of the pier , include the section that was cut out of its' original length during the Second World War ( 1940 to be precise ) , so that any German invasion force that came by sea and boarded

it , could not get onto the promenade ?

I forgot to tell you when we were discussing it Rob , was that after the section was cut out , the Home Guard were put on nightly sentry duty , watching for any invasion by sea :laugh:

Malc Burton

Ya can just see old pikey :laugh:

Social source share

Full Dance floor Gardens last All Dayer

The dance floor was like that for every record played , from start of the day to the finish .

A fitting send - off for a brilliant venue .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Yes it is you will need around 6 million to get it up and runnig again though ph34r.gif

Full story here

https://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/ll-pier-people/article-1832011-detail/article.html

6 Million for the property , plus whatever is needed to bring it back to respectability , and a bottomless pit of money to keep it running ,

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

6 Million for the property , plus whatever is needed to bring it back to respectability , and a bottomless pit of money to keep it running ,

Malc Burton

Godfrey

Nice picture of you and Lady Burton leaving the pier all-nighter!

6 million squid and all they can think of is putting "Swing" bands on !!--don't they know the war is over in Cleggylaugh.gif

Will be back to you soon regards an article Malc

Rob

Social source share

Guest yorks old boys

got some pics from the winter gardens off dean parish iwill dig them outthumbsup.gif and one off sam me and mary chapman way back in the day

Social source share

Malc Burton

Bet there would be a few possible grants available,any venue collectors out there rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Godfrey

Nice picture of you and Lady Burton leaving the pier all-nighter!

6 million squid and all they can think of is putting "Swing" bands on !!--don't they know the war is over in Cleggylaugh.gif

Will be back to you soon regards an article Malc

Rob

Trust you to recognise us :thumbsup:

I sweated like a good one in that suit during that all - nighter because it was so hot , and the creases dropped out of my trousers after ten minutes ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Just found this on youtube Cleethorpes bit starts at around 1:11 filmed in the entrance to the winter gardens

Edited by miff
Social source share

The dance floor was like that for every record played , from start of the day to the finish .

A fitting send - off for a brilliant venue .

Malc Burton

Cannot agree more. Go to Cleethorpe's regular at weekends and hurts me to see the pile of rubble there now.

Last night there was a Scooter Reunion in Scunthorpe with myself, Richard Dixon and special guests Jo Wallace and PTP playing many of the old Cleethorpe's sounds to a 300 sell out crowd, many of whom were regulars back in the 70's. I have a DVD made by a local guy but do not know if there any other copies about. Ian Palin (Payo) from Grimsby was talking about putting a book together about the Pier/Gardens but I do not know how far he is on with this.

Social source share

Cannot agree more. Go to Cleethorpe's regular at weekends and hurts me to see the pile of rubble there now.

Last night there was a Scooter Reunion in Scunthorpe with myself, Richard Dixon and special guests Jo Wallace and PTP playing many of the old Cleethorpe's sounds to a 300 sell out crowd, many of whom were regulars back in the 70's. I have a DVD made by a local guy but do not know if there any other copies about. Ian Palin (Payo) from Grimsby was talking about putting a book together about the Pier/Gardens but I do not know how far he is on with this.

The book is very much a labour of love for Ian . He has been writing / compiling it for over three years ( well before the WG farewell all dayer in February 2007 ) , and from its' inception , always stated he would not rush it , as he wanted to get it " right " .

The book ( as I recall what Ian originally told me ) , is the chronicle / documentation of the growth , development and establishment et of the Lincolnshire soul scene , in which obviously The Pier and The Winter Gardens will feature extensively .

Just digressing slightly - if you scroll back up to Miff's reply - post # 30 , which has the clip beginning with Poke , do not click on play as I need someone to confirm my eyes are not deceiving me , as I am sure the poster behind Poke advertises " Sean Bean as Elvis " ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The book is very much a labour of love for Ian . He has been writing / compiling it for over three years ( well before the WG farewell all dayer in February 2007 ) , and from its' inception , always stated he would not rush it , as he wanted to get it " right " .

The book ( as I recall what Ian originally told me ) , is the chronicle / documentation of the growth , development and establishment et of the Lincolnshire soul scene , in which obviously The Pier and The Winter Gardens will feature extensively .

Just digressing slightly - if you scroll back up to Miff's reply - post # 30 , which has the clip beginning with Poke , do not click on play as I need someone to confirm my eyes are not deceiving me , as I am sure the poster behind Poke advertises " Sean Bean as Elvis " ........

Malc Burton

Yep yes.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thank the Lord for that , I thought I was going radged ..........

Malc Burton

Scrolling down and Poke's fizzog all of a sudden jumping out at me nearly made me spill me cornflakes.

Yup, deffo Sean Bean as Elvis laugh.gif 'kin brilliant

elvis.gif

Social source share

Scrolling down and Poke's fizzog all of a sudden jumping out at me nearly made me spill me cornflakes.

Yup, deffo Sean Bean as Elvis laugh.gif 'kin brilliant

elvis.gif

Sean Bean if nothing else , has been consistant in his roles throughout his career ........ ensuring that they have been more wooden than the stock list for a timber wholesellers laugh.gif

Malc Burton

Social source share

When I can rectify a fault , I will post up three photographs from the halcyon days of Cleethorpes , courtesy of Steve Thompson ( Scunnyjack )

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Dawn, your second vid there coupled with "Today's People" just brings it all back. For regular Cleggy goers it was so special. Apart from the great crowd, the adventurous sounds etc what made it special for me was the feeling of belonging there. Just such great days (nights) never to be forgotten.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

When I can rectify a fault , I will post up photographs from the halcyon days of Cleethorpes , courtesy of Steve Thompson ( Scunnyjack )

Malc Burton

Due to the size of the files sent by Steve , you will have to open the links to view .

If anyone can convert to view without opening the links , please help !

The lady in the second link is Tamiko Jones , with husband John " Blues & Soul " Abbey in the background .

The two gentlemen are Steve and Rick Todd ....... now that is what is called a hairstyle :ohmy:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Here's the photos in a smaller format.

You are a star :D

I pratted about with them , but to no avail : thank the lord for people like you with more technical savvy :thumbsup: .

Malc Burton

Social source share

You are a star :thumbsup:

I pratted about with them , but to no avail : thank the lord for people like you with more technical savvy :) .

Malc Burton

Thanks to you and to Missing Link for posting the photo's. I am not very technical where sending and attaching files are concerned.

Regards

Steve

Social source share

It's a pleasure to help out.

Cleethorpes was probably the best 'Nighter I went to because of the 'across the board' policy. Sadly, I only managed to get there a couple of times because of where I lived at the time (Southampton) and the fact that the cars I had at the time would probably have got there, with a bit of luck, but probably wouldn't have got back!

Social source share

Malc Burton

Wow. Is he still at it? I hope he perseveres. He interviewed me extensively for several hours a few years back. It'd be great to get it all documented 'cos Cleethorpes Pier was a magical nighter and obviously a brilliant setting.

Health and Safety would probably prevent it ever happening on a pier again I guess..........we got away with murder back then didn't we?

By the way, how's Mary these days? Is anyone in touch with her?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert