The Ultimate Crossover Record

Ooh some proper wet knicker tunes have been listed so far...

The two that got to me when I were a wee lass were Vivian Copeland - Chaos and Softouch - After You Give Your All - so they'd have to go on my list!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

So many to choose but if I had to nail one today it would be George Jackson - I Don't Have The Time To Love You - Mercury.

Tomorrow it'll be one of many others :unsure:

Social source share

A few records that define Crossover Soul for me that, of course there are many more are -

NOLAN CHANCE - I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU (THOMAS)

FRANK LYNCH - YOUNG GIRL (MY RECORD)

LITTLE REUBEN - IN THE NAME OF LONLINESS (NR)

THE VISITORS - MY LOVE IS READY AND WAITING (TRC)

However sticking to Gareth's rule of just the one. This record is the 'Crossover Sound' that I feel has all the ingredients IMHO of this widely interpreted style of Soul, all the way from New York -

DON GARDNER - YOUR LOVE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY (Mr G)

Cheers

Pat

Social source share

Great idea mark, would be heaven for a nighter to play some great records all night.yes.gif

If you look at how many folks get into the few venues that play class music, put the right dj's on, at a nighter,in a centrel location i would like to think it could work.

If nothing else there would be plenty of space on the dance floor,cos as we know no one dances to cross- over do they laugh.gif

Im sure it would too Mick but .....'us mamby pamby X-over types cant manage a nighter' or so I was told last weekohmy.gif

See ya Sat ?

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

A few records that define Crossover Soul for me that, of course there are many more are -

NOLAN CHANCE - I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU (THOMAS)

FRANK LYNCH - YOUNG GIRL (MY RECORD)

LITTLE REUBEN - IN THE NAME OF LONLINESS (NR)

THE VISITORS - MY LOVE IS READY AND WAITING (TRC)

However sticking to Gareth's rule of just the one. This record is the 'Crossover Sound' that I feel has all the ingredients IMHO of this widely interpreted style of Soul, all the way from New York -

DON GARDNER - YOUR LOVE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY (Mr G)

Cheers

Pat

Top Call Pathatsoff2.gif

Mthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Whilst we're making a case for "ultimate" x-over how's about:

C Coulter - "I can't fight the feeling" = Modern Soul

William Cummings - "Make my love a hurting thing" = Northern Soul ..... proper Northern.....

Coco & Ben - "Good feeling" = Modern Soul

To me these are what I consider to be what the definition encompasses, but I might be wrong!!

I can just about understand getting Coco & Ben and C Coulter confused, but William Cummings ???? laugh.gif

Social source share

I can just about understand getting Coco & Ben and C Coulter confused, but William Cummings ???? laugh.gif

This is what Gareth pointed out - definition..

For me, William Cummings is full on and brilliant Northern but it's these differences of opinion that make life interesting..

ATB

Greg. :yes:

Social source share

Wouldnt this be some night if everything mentioned on here were playedohmy.gif

Nice plush venue,

Hampsey, Tats, Thorley, Fenn, Ripoles etc

Any promoters up for it..................................??

Nice idea, everyone says good 'wouldn't it be great if....' but as I can testify when you do people don't support it. At the end of the day, to much politics, other promoters doing their best to strangle anything new in case their event is affected. This camp won't support that camp, these dj's won't work with those etc etc.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's the sorry state of how things have become. The amount of shite that behind the scenes has come our way with the Stafford thing from other promoters is un-believable. How can you put that on, when you know we always do this or that at that time in the month, it's so un-fair etc, etc.

I'm close to giving up.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Nice idea, everyone says good 'wouldn't it be great if....' but as I can testify when you do people don't support it. At the end of the day, to much politics, other promoters doing their best to strangle anything new in case their event is affected. This camp won't support that camp, these dj's won't work with those etc etc.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's the sorry state of how things have become. The amount of shite that behind the scenes has come our way with the Stafford thing from other promoters is un-believable. How can you put that on, when you know we always do this or that at that time in the month, it's so un-fair etc, etc.

I'm close to giving up.

Dave

don't give up on it dave!! it's bound to be a packer, stafford is folklore in the history of northern soul.!!!yes.gif original building too

Social source share

don't give up on it dave!! it's bound to be a packer, stafford is folklore in the history of northern soul.!!!yes.gif original building too

No you miss understand. Stafford thing is a deffo, it's gonna be a packer despite somes efforts otherwise. Funny thing is, they will be there and shake me by the hand and say what a great night and how they always went.

No, i've just about given up trying to promote anything new.....

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

No you miss understand. Stafford thing is a deffo, it's gonna be a packer despite somes efforts otherwise. Funny thing is, they will be there and shake me by the hand and say what a great night and how they always went.

No, i've just about given up trying to promote anything new.....

i'm with you on that one, all the best with it,......jim

Social source share

George Hughley That's Why I Cry Buddah

John Parker A Big Mistake Brunswick

Charles Brimmer The Feeling Is In My Heart Broadmoor.

George Wilson Here Stands The Man Who Needs You Black Circle

Jimmy Hicks Tell Her That I Love You Big Deal

Ralph Johnson Have Your Fun Master Key

Neil Reed Not As Beautiful As You Music Now

Dave

Social source share

George Hughley That's Why I Cry Buddah

John Parker A Big Mistake Brunswick

Charles Brimmer The Feeling Is In My Heart Broadmoor.

George Wilson Here Stands The Man Who Needs You Black Circle

Jimmy Hicks Tell Her That I Love You Big Deal

Ralph Johnson Have Your Fun Master Key

Neil Reed Not As Beautiful As You Music Now

Dave

jimmy hicks-tell her that i love you,good one :thumbsup:

jasonJIMMY HICKS - TELL HER THAT I LOVE YOU - BIG DEAL -

Edited by arnie j
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Trey J's- Found it all in you

Ascots-Just a few feet from the gutter

Rhonda Davis-Can you remember

Dee Dee Warwick-Where is that rainbow

So So many.....

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Great educative thread chaps. Nobody's mentioned Barbara Acklin Am I Still The Same Girl?

I'm no expert on this genre, quite a 'pagan' in fact, but listening to some of the sound files you're posting,

I reckon it would fall into the Crossover category. A lot of Tyrone Davis's tunes as well.

Is it because they're ten a penny and therefore not so desirable? Someone mentioned Ty Karim 'Lighten Up Baby'. I thought that was more your typical 'Northern' tune. Enlighten me por favor...

Macca

Here's your enlightenment !! Two versions of the same record sung by Ty Karim.

Lighten Up - CAR-A-MEL - 60s production very much in the Northern vein.

Lightin' Up (slightly different spelling - don't know why) - ROMARK - 70s production, much more in a crossover style

(there is a Refosoul listing of this one - so give them both a 'spin' and hear the difference).

Hope this helps amigo!

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

My twopenny worth:

Otis Jackson - Beggin' For A Broken Heart (MEGA)

Satin - Your Love's Got Me (SHELL)

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over (DISPO)

Sam Butler - I Can't Get Over Loving You (SRI)

These will do for now........................

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

My twopenny worth:

Otis Jackson - Beggin' For A Broken Heart (MEGA)

Satin - Your Love's Got Me (SHELL)

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over (DISPO)

Sam Butler - I Can't Get Over Loving You (SRI)

These will do for now........................

Brian thumbsup.gif

isn't satin the same as james phelps on apache?

Social source share

I'm close to giving up.

Dave

Actually Dave I wasn't meaning you and the guys I mentioned as the promoters, meant you lot as the 'Star Turns'yes.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Does for me mate! thumbsup.gif

My take on "Crossover" is the same as "Northern", it comes from all directions "If it's good, and it fits...then it's in!" all good ingredients, just a different flavour!

I'd class...

Gino Washington's "I'll Be Around"

Martha's "My Baby Needs Me"

Joe Tex's "Old Time Lover"

Louis Curry "Toast To you"

..as crossover myself? (one man's meat and all that!)

been so many top choices!

picking a fav for me will always change, mainly coz I aint heard 'em all yet!

Philharmonics "I Need I Need Your Love" and..

Hesitations "Is This A Way To treat A Girl"

will always be up there somewhere for me

steve

And a Toast to you with that choice :thumbsup:

Social source share

A little surprised that Jacqueline Jones - A Frown On My Face - Loadstone didn't get in the frame, always be one of my faves . Steve

More of a collectors tune Steve, probably, hence the omission.

I have a treasured copy but just doesn't quite cut it into the 'ultimate' category.

Regards,

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

Someone mentioned 'Chaos (In My Heart)' by Vivian Copeland ...now, that is a great soul track, in my opinion. I loved it long before it crossed over (sorry for the pun).

Please read my thread about why I think "crossover" is the wrong name for this kind of music:

Social source share

Loads of fantastic example of crossover soul so far.

may i add - Bob Relf -Girl, you`re my kind of wonderful

Bobby taylor - Don`t be afraid

Originals - I`m someone who cares

Barbara Brown/Carl Sims - Pity a fool

Shades of Brown - How could you love him

Patti Stokes - Is it true

Elvin Spencer - Lift this Hurt

Charles Brimmer - This feeling is in my heart

I could go on on and on .......... but my number crossover record (at this particular moment anyway !)

Roscoe Robinson - Don`t Pretend (Fame)

Mark H

Social source share

Guest Brett F

It always makes me laugh how many people ignore the posters request. Gareth said choose the ultimate crossover record.......THAT MEANS CHOOSE.....ONE........:laugh:..

So in the spirit of this sentiment, i mentioned my own champion previously, so now i'll mention the ultimate one that i don't own.....ARCHIE HODGE - I REALLY WANT TO SEE YOU GIRL- NARCO.... (even though i would have gone for Richard Caiton....:rolleyes:)

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

It always makes me laugh how many people ignore the posters request. Gareth said choose the ultimate crossover record.......THAT MEANS CHOOSE.....ONE........:laugh:..

So in the spirit of this sentiment, i mentioned my own champion previously, so now i'll mention the ultimate one that i don't own.....ARCHIE HODGE - I REALLY WANT TO SEE YOU GIRL- NARCO.... (even though i would have gone for Richard Caiton....:rolleyes:)

Wow. No disrespect but I honestly consider that track to be very ordinary. Seriously, I really think the song is dull and the performance is weak and uninspired.

It just goes to show how different our tastes and opinions can be sometimes ...and I realise that I'm probably in a minority here but I just can't find anything good to say about it.

So if I had an original copy, Brett, you could have it. That's how kind I am. :smile:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Wow. No disrespect but I honestly consider that track to be very ordinary. Seriously, I really think the song is dull and the performance is weak and uninspired.

It just goes to show how different our tastes and opinions can be sometimes ...and I realise that I'm probably in a minority here but I just can't find anything good to say about it.

So if I had an original copy, Brett, you could have it. That's how kind I am. :smile:

Thats ok Paul, i'd never expect anyone to eat the 'Braised Cornish brill, scallops, wild asparagus, cucumber and wasabi' meal i'd order at a restaurant, we all like alternative things, we fall in love with different women , wear different clothes.......collect different records..etc .thumbsup.gif

Social source share

So many mentioned already I could nominate - Margie Joseph, Darrell Banks, Don Gardner (Mr G), I could go for Donald Lee Richardson 'Lesson' but in an attempt to list one not already mentioned (it might of been but if so I have missed it!!)

'I'm In Love With You' - Bobby Patterson on (the more attractive) UK Action smile.gif

Back in the day a few of us in 'boro loved this - but it did not fit at all between Wigan and the Mecca

Mike

Social source share

'I'm In Love With You' - Bobby Patterson on (the more attractive) UK Action smile.gif

Back in the day a few of us in 'boro loved this - but it did not fit at all between Wigan and the Mecca

Mike

They weren't ready for it then Mike.

Needed a few years to go by before it became a Clifton Hall & Cleethorpes monster, for yours truly, Mike.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Some great selections already but here,s my 3 penneth;

Sandra wright---I.ll come running back

Oscar Perry--He sent me you

Best

T.C.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now