Blue Max Rip

This is terribly sad; an unassuming man with more to shout about than most of us, but that wasn't his way.

He had a huge influence on the scene in its earliest days but I didn't get to meet him until he came down to the 100 Club a few years ago. He absolutely loved the fact that so many great records had been discovered since his semi-retirement and couldn't wait to hear them and enjoy them all. With a name like Blue Max I was expecting a flash showman but he was down to earth, friendly, enthusiastic and a pleasure to be with. My heart goes out to his friends and family and the West Midlands Northern Soul fans who have had such a rough time of late. It's no consolation but I'm so happy that he got to get back into the scene and enjoyed and involved himself in something he helped shape in the first place.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

ALSO AS A GUEST DJ MAX MADE YOU FEEL LIKE A SUPERSTAR!,,, HE GAVE ME A PRIME SPOT AT AN OLDIES DO AT THE WULFRUN HALL AND DIDNT EVEN KNOW ME THAT WELL......A TRULY WONDERFUL MAN...

:lol:

I did a spot in the freestyle room at Rugby a couple of years ago & Max was playing at the same time in the main room. It was my first ever spot & afterwards i went through to the bar & Max was there. He said "are you the young lady who just stole my crowd away?" (I hadn't but was incredibly flattered that he'd say so!:yes:) I nodded, a bit star struck to be honest as my dad had told me all about the Cats & what a great man he was. He says "will you do a spot for me at Brookfields then?"

I went along & he stuck 40.00 in my box even after i refused payment.:yes: Laughing remember this...he told me to use the mic as i was a bit 'head down, next record on' & after i'd made a bit of a hash of announcing a few he said "maybe go back to how you were doing it before".:thumbsup::ohmy:

Sincere condolences to his family and friends, i can't imagine how you must be feeling. He'll be sadly missed by many many people. RIP Legend.xx

Social source share

Guest Mike The Bike

Not to long ago my Brother dragged me along to a Northern Soul night at Goodyears i hadnt been anywhere near Northern Soul for nigh on 30 yrs and as i sat there in my trainers ripped jeans Pink Floyd t-shirt and leather jacket trying to stifle my boredom all of a sudden it happened . . out of the distant past and from the furthest reaches of my memory came this explosion sparked by one record i turned to my brother "JEEZ i aint heard this for bloody years!" and without thinking and almost instinctively i got up to dance when i got into Northern Soul back in the 70s i was drawn to the very physical aspect of the incredible dance style i was heavily into Martial Arts and found that this fitted in just perfectly i didnt take to much notice of the music to be honest all i wanted to do was dance. Every Friday night i would make the pilgrimage down to the Old Vic in Wolverhampton and join the masses out on the floor "Footsie" was storming up the charts and Bruce Lee dominated the silver screen over time i began to take notice of the music and one track stood out from the rest i remember goin down to a youth club in Wombourne and one of my mates had written out the words for me on a scrap of paper "You Dont Love Me" Epitome Of Sound was the first record i bought and was my induction to a wonderful world of incredible music and incredible people.

That night in Goodyears was the scene of my "rebirth" and scince then i have returned to the fold and to my delight i found that i had not lost my faith it lay dormant waiting to resurface The Wolverhampton Soul Scene of the 70s was something to behold a magical time and i look back with fond memories and now realise that Max played an indirect part in shaping my early experiences, ive also learned that he was responsible for breaking many of the tracks i have grown to love including "You Dont Love Me" which will always be very special to me and from this point on will be even more poignant

This Saturday will be very hard for all of us what do we do ? do we stay home and indulge ourselves ? hide away and hope the grief and pain will go away ? by reading all these tributes to Max i have learned one thing ; we are all in this together we are all hurting inside many of us are unsure just how to deal and respond to such a shock and im sure that many - myself included - have thought that going out and enjoying ourselves is somehow an insult to Max after all we are conditioned to believe that this is a time for reflection and we must behave with decorum and respect just ask yourself one question... would Max have wanted that.. do you think he would want us to turn away from the very thing he worked so hard to create NO.. i would ask each and everyone of you to go out to your chosen venue dress up to the nines and have a cracking night enjoy the company of all the friends you have made shed a few tears lean on a few shoulders and revel in the closeness and support that we all have we are family and we should all be there for each other and we shouldnt be afraid of baring our soul in public and letting everyone see just who we.. are lets do it one more time.. LETS DO IT FOR MAX the king is dead long live the king !

Social source share

Rang Max up and said

"you going to the Attic to listen to Ted Massey"

"yeah"

This sums up the bloke he travels 80 odd miles on a bloody frezzing saturday in January to support me in a small club "Blue Max came to support me" i wish i had grand children i could relay that story to, he gave me and a lot of others support and encouragement and bloody hell he will be missed

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Rang Max up and said

"you going to the Attic to listen to Ted Massey"

"yeah"

This sums up the bloke he travels 80 odd miles on a bloody frezzing saturday in January to support me in a small club "Blue Max came to support me" i wish i had grand children i could relay that story to, he gave me and a lot of others support and encouragement and bloody hell he will be missed

That was one of my best EVER Northern nites in 37yrs on the scene,and i had the priviledge to meet "Blue Max... true legend RIP"...

Mart B

Social source share

Not to long ago my Brother dragged me along to a Northern Soul night at Goodyears i hadnt been anywhere near Northern Soul for nigh on 30 yrs and as i sat there in my trainers ripped jeans Pink Floyd t-shirt and leather jacket trying to stifle my boredom all of a sudden it happened . . out of the distant past and from the furthest reaches of my memory came this explosion sparked by one record i turned to my brother "JEEZ i aint heard this for bloody years!" and without thinking and almost instinctively i got up to dance when i got into Northern Soul back in the 70s i was drawn to the very physical aspect of the incredible dance style i was heavily into Martial Arts and found that this fitted in just perfectly i didnt take to much notice of the music to be honest all i wanted to do was dance. Every Friday night i would make the pilgrimage down to the Old Vic in Wolverhampton and join the masses out on the floor "Footsie" was storming up the charts and Bruce Lee dominated the silver screen over time i began to take notice of the music and one track stood out from the rest i remember goin down to a youth club in Wombourne and one of my mates had written out the words for me on a scrap of paper "You Dont Love Me" Epitome Of Sound was the first record i bought and was my induction to a wonderful world of incredible music and incredible people.

That night in Goodyears was the scene of my "rebirth" and scince then i have returned to the fold and to my delight i found that i had not lost my faith it lay dormant waiting to resurface The Wolverhampton Soul Scene of the 70s was something to behold a magical time and i look back with fond memories and now realise that Max played an indirect part in shaping my early experiences, ive also learned that he was responsible for breaking many of the tracks i have grown to love including "You Dont Love Me" which will always be very special to me and from this point on will be even more poignant

This Saturday will be very hard for all of us what do we do ? do we stay home and indulge ourselves ? hide away and hope the grief and pain will go away ? by reading all these tributes to Max i have learned one thing ; we are all in this together we are all hurting inside many of us are unsure just how to deal and respond to such a shock and im sure that many - myself included - have thought that going out and enjoying ourselves is somehow an insult to Max after all we are conditioned to believe that this is a time for reflection and we must behave with decorum and respect just ask yourself one question... would Max have wanted that.. do you think he would want us to turn away from the very thing he worked so hard to create NO.. i would ask each and everyone of you to go out to your chosen venue dress up to the nines and have a cracking night enjoy the company of all the friends you have made shed a few tears lean on a few shoulders and revel in the closeness and support that we all have we are family and we should all be there for each other and we shouldnt be afraid of baring our soul in public and letting everyone see just who we.. are lets do it one more time.. LETS DO IT FOR MAX the king is dead long live the king !

absolutely bang on!thumbsup.gif , and perhaps whoever you promotors and djs are and no matter where you are this weekend, everyone should observe a minutes silence or clapping even at say, midnight ( as most gigs are on at least til then or after) as a tribute to the man nationwide.

rob.h

Social source share

i was talking to ken earlier this evening about photographs featuring max, i suppose many of you out there have pictures of him, mostly the kind that announce "this is me with the legend!", having been a fixture at prestwich for a number of years, i was well chuffed when terry davies asked max to come and play a set at the longfield suite. this was off the back of terry appearing at goodyears some months earlier and being introduced to our lad then. i know terry appreciated the experience of a veteran showing he had lost none of his sparkle, exuberance or style and naturally entertained the dancers like water off a ducks back. it capped it all for me taking a photo on stage, max with his closest entourage...j.p. and ken. i also have the pics of max with ginger at prestwich and goodyears. i got a lot of pleasure being able to introduce tim brown to max as well at trentham gardens and, funnily enough i was also speaking to tim about him tonight and he remarked what a likeable guy he was on that occasion.

probably my most poignant picture of all....is one i also took at goodyears about 7 years ago, that of max standing by the host of sales boxes, one arm round derek allen...thats a choker....another all-round good egg too long gone, two of the nicest, most unassuming blokes you could ever wish to meet.

.......theyre upstairs now spinning, and guess what?.......ITS SOUL HEAVEN!

Social source share

Just had Gaz Lees on the phone - he is going on to the BBC Radio West Midlands Soul & Motown show tomorrow night at 8pm to talk about what Max has been up to in recent years,and I have been asked to go along to contribute about Max and his days at The Catacombs.

Had Jenny Wilkes from Radio WM on the phone last night asking if I would spend a little time on her Northern Soul & Motown Night tomorrow Fri 4/06/10 to do a tribute to Max. Jenny is an old friend of Max's and loves her soul music and like most of us Max was her hero. Spoke to Kenny Onions but suggested Neil Rushton had some great memories of DJing with Max at the Cats as a young upstart 20 year old so I asked Neil if he 'd like to join me and there was no hesitation from Neil yes Gaz I'd love to. So tune in to 95.6FM from 8.00pm to have a listen to some great old memories from Neil and some recent ones from me including some tracks played at the Cats no doubt.

Gaz

Social source share

Gail is having problems with her computer and has asked me to post the following on her behalf -

"I can't believe that Max has gone and want to pass on my condolences. Linda -I remember sitting you with at the Soulvation Christmas Party in December 2008 when we were the only two females there! We had a good laugh and you said how much Max loved the music. Max was always kind and attentive at Lea Hall, he would come up to me when I was doing the door and suggest I have a break and we would join the smokers outside. I am really pleased that Max became a grandfather. Max, myself, Neil and Alan & Pat Carter at Soulvation all became grandparents around the same time and comparing baby photos was really special, it wasn't just about Soul music but about being friends.I will miss you Max." - Gail

Social source share

Guest Mike The Bike

Had Jenny Wilkes from Radio WM on the phone last night asking if I would spend a little time on her Northern Soul & Motown Night tomorrow Fri 4/06/10 to do a tribute to Max. Jenny is an old friend of Max's and loves her soul music and like most of us Max was her hero. Spoke to Kenny Onions but suggested Neil Rushton had some great memories of DJing with Max at the Cats as a young upstart 20 year old so I asked Neil if he 'd like to join me and there was no hesitation from Neil yes Gaz I'd love to. So tune in to 95.6FM from 8.00pm to have a listen to some great old memories from Neil and some recent ones from me including some tracks played at the Cats no doubt.

Gaz

Is that on nationwide radio.. DAB.. is it broadcast on the net ? i am down here in London sad.gif and would love to listen in can you post more info please thanks biggrin.gif

Edited by Mike The Bike
Social source share

This track always takes us right back to when we came back on the scene almost 7 years ago now.I remember it like it was yesterday,we were at the Dudley labour club and not many soulies had turned up that night.But so new to being back on the scene and loving every second of it,me & Mart stayed right till the end of the night and it was Blue Max that closed it and this was his last tune he played.We had not heard it before,we both fell in love with it straight away and I got up and danced to it,despite there being noone else left in the room but the two of us.This is another memory we will treasure in our hearts forever!!

Blue Max the legend that was and always will be...R.I.P love you always & forever.Helen (Bongo) & Martin xxxxx

330. I need you like a baby - Andrea Henry.mp3

Social source share

Dear Friends and family,

Once again we would like to express our thanks for all the lovely messages and stories.

The funeral will be held at St Johns church in Essington on Wednesday 23rd June at 1pm, all friends are welcome, to be followed by a private ceremony at Bushbury Crematorium. Arrangements to be confirmed regarding the wake at the stables, Brookfields.

Lots of Love, Linda, Katie and James xxx

Social source share

Dear Friends and family,

Once again we would like to express our thanks for all the lovely messages and stories.

The funeral will be held at St Johns church in Essington on Wednesday 23rd June at 1pm, all friends are welcome, to be followed by a private ceremony at Bushbury Crematorium. Arrangements to be confirmed regarding the wake at the stables, Brookfields.

Thank you for leting us know, I can now arrange the day off from work to say farewell to my friend, this will be with tears in my eyes

Social source share

Dear Friends and family,

Hi Linda , Katie and James I Do hope you can come along to the Longacers pub on Sunday 13th June , This Is Nolan Porters last show and Myself and Nolan have added a special touching Tribute to Max in all the live shows and all shows are Dedicated to Max . Max was so much looking forward to meeting Nolan and was taking him fishing with him like he spent time with Steve Calloway when he was last over . Nolan sends his love to all of you .

Chalky

Social source share

Hi Linda , Katie and James I Do hope you can come along to the Longacers pub on Sunday 13th June , This Is Nolan Porters last show and Myself and Nolan have added a special touching Tribute to Max in all the live shows and all shows are Dedicated to Max . Max was so much looking forward to meeting Nolan and was taking him fishing with him like he spent time with Steve Calloway when he was last over . Nolan sends his love to all of you .

Chalky

chalks,

a big thanks to you, nolan, neil and gaz for such a touching tribute last night, can i tell you that our friends, rona and kenny.b were tuned in at my behest in edinburgh last night as were many, many other people....those who knew him, those not...it dosnt matter, he touch people's lives in a broad sense of the term and for this we owe him a great debt of gratitude.

went round to see kenny onions yesterday and he is bearing up....now the bewilderment and emptiness can be corrulated into one big showing of strength and solidarity as we prepare to gather together for a celebration of max's life.

once again, you did him proud and i know he is proud of you.

rob,h

Social source share

Guest mark hanson

Dear Friends and family,

Will be there and if anyone from the Loughborough area need a lift let me know off topic.

Mark Hanson

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30080644&l=2d02651ba9&id=1457768701

Social source share

Guest mvb031259

Just got back off holliday to hear this sad sad news...... In my experience Max was a real gentleman, always the smiling, welcoming face, always offering encouragement and expert advice to fellow promoters whatever music they were playing........ An unsurmountable loss to the midland Soul Scene it will never be the same..... But one thing i am sure he would wish was all his efforts to continue and bring pleasure to all soul lovers........ R.I.P Max a true legend :hatsoff2::hatsoff2:. Deepest sympathy to Max's family,

Mike & Linda.

Social source share

Just got back from holiday and got to a P.C.for the first time since we heard the news from Wolfie. what can I say....When I got back into Northern sone 10 years ago Max was one of the first people I turned to, spending many hours in his 'cafe' , some people called it a shop, with the likes of Wolfie & Sam reliving the old days of the Cats or The Chateua Impney.Next thing Iknow I'm buying records again!!!! me a 50 year old born again soulie.I later had the prvelidge of D.Jing with Max many times both at his own venues and at Lea Hall ,where after doing the opening spot it was always a pleasure to hand over to my"Dad" Blue Max. It's taken me a while to write this as I can't see the keyboard too well,

and don.t worry if some of the printing is a bit blurred it's not your monitor.....It.s Teardrops...Till we meet again my friend Rest In Peace Old 'Un

Alan & Pat Carter

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Fuck .

I am gutted , and for once lost for words .

Max was one of life's true gentlemen , and one of the gems of the scene .

I am honoured to have known you .

RIP and God bless you Max .

Malc Burton

i never knew max, we were all dancing to the same tunes tho...i remember the feeling... so long auld yin.

Social source share

Sad to her about Max.

Lots of memories. From the first time I walked into his shop at around the age of 15 to dancing to him spinning sounds at The Lafyette. His shop became a regular haunt for me and my friends in our early years. It was like an alladin's cave of jewels. The jewels of course where the magical records (vinyl) that hung from the walls in the windows and tempted you at every turn. And there behind the counter was this enigmatic, enthusiastic man who seemed to love evey record in the shop. The soul was not just in the records it was in the very atmosphere, in the air. How could you not hand your money over easily to this gentleman. I just had to have everything that Max recommended and never regretted buying anything. He would always welcome you as if you were his best friend and he made you feel as if you were. Once he knew me he would put bookings my way and often at Christmas I would stagger out of the shop after having a little glass or two of something warming. He always seemed to have hidden gems, sometimes hot off the press, sometimes in boxes that were collections he sold for people. The bargains I bought, the rarities I bought were mainly bought from Max. Every gem has a memory and there are quite a few. It seems so sad that a man that helped shape my life, my taste in music, has gone. He will be sadly missed, but the music will continue and every groove has his name in it.

Social source share

Guest sandi

Very sad news. Condolences to Max's family.

One of those times you can't believe what you're reading when you first see this thread.

I, like many who grew up around Wednesfield and Wolverhampton spent many hours in the shop. Firstly in the 70's.

Always remember seeing that green MG that Max had parked outside.

I bought a few of Max's records from the first time around and usually kept the cardboard covers as his writing was so neat! Quite proud of this "Cover-Up" with his writing on the sleeve that he played at the Cat's. Manny Charles indeed. He had originally put a sticker over it!

Hey Bod, you little belter, what a star.

Thankyou for reminding me of the c/u title:

Yes of course : Manny charles "Darling I Surrender"

Just listened to it again, each time l do, reminds me of why l love it so much.

Special thanks to Max for making it possible.

On a funny note, l remember fondly how Max told me the story about the night he was asked to come clean and tell "Who is it really Max?", Max said so l agreed and revealed it was "Micky Moonshine -Name it you got it", to which he said, this gezza replied "F**k off Max, who is it really ?, Max again repeated what he told this guy....and still the guy refused to believe him saying Max was taking the piss ......"after all" he said "Who the f**k would be stupid enough to go by such a idiotic name"...."who is it really Max?", Max said "well really l can't tell a lie it's M.I.C.K.Y....M.O.O.N.S.H.I.N.E."

Max laughed and told me "You see Sandi you tell em the truth and they still think ur bull shitting them"....."you're damned if you do and damned if you don't " :thumbsup::D. Great story and very very true.

Max l'm just glad that you did mate xxxxxx

Social source share

Guest sandi

Mike what a fantastic post, heartfelt and touching.....and so true.

Max would want us to be dancing and enjoying the love and soulfulness of everything and everyone who is truely soulful.

The pioneer, who reached the summit many times over.

How fitting to quote "The king is dead long live the KING".

Makes me feel very humble that l was lucky enough to have had Max as my FRIEND.

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

As a young soul fanatic in the early 70s. I would stare in wonder at advertisments in my brothers blues and soul urging us to go to clubs and hear all the latest soul discoveries. However one ad in particular used to stand out for me with its boasts of being THE COUNTRYS LEADING R.& B. AND SOUL DISCOTHEQUE with the tag WHERE THE SOUNDS BEGIN ..... ie "Cigarette Ash", "The Sloopy" , "Mamie Galore" "Johnny Sayles" etc etc...I refer of course to the groovey sounding Catacombs club on Temple St. Wolverhampton . It was however for me the cool sounding dj going by the name of BLUE MAX that made me want to be a part of it all . I mean how cool must this guy be..... Sadly for me it wasnt until many years later i finally met my hero. I was thrilled when his friend JOHN PUGH intoduced me to him (thanks John) then humbled by the genuine sincerity and love he still had for our music . I was to run in to him on quite a few other occasions , and always came away knowing id been chatting to one of the soul scenes true gentlemen and real soul brother to boot. I Still look at those old ads from time to time and feel glad to have met you . You were everything id hoped you would be and more.You will truley be missed and my heart goes out to all your family and many many friends who knew you better than i did . Rest in peace brother and i look forward to seeing you playing "the sloopy" when next we meet ....Goodnight n Godbless ...DAVE MOLLOY

Social source share

Guest soulboy

was tidying up my record room and found a load of tapes ,LIVE AND DIRECT FROM THE LEGENDARY T.C.'s LOUNGE JOHN PUGH AND BLUE MAX AKA BUMPY THUMPERTON AND THUMPY BUMPERTON ,got it on now for the lead up to the match great times ............. god i miss them

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark Cartwright

I can't make Max's funeral tomorrow dur to work stuff I can't wriggle out of, but wanted to pass on my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I still can't quite get my head around Max passing on.

I hope that tomorrow goes well with a good showing from Max's extended soul family.

RIP Max

Social source share

• 10 years later...
16 hours ago, Simon T said:

Haven't had time to listen to it all the way through, just hopped along every few mins, but managed to find a brief introduction between some tracks and it probably is Max, its always difficult to tell who a DJ is on an old live tape, but the way he says things, he was still saying similar phrases right to the end of his DJ'ing life.
Safe to say it is him for now. I will find the time to listen to it properly and get back to you

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!