Blue Max Rip

REALLY TRAGIC,OF COURSE MAX WAS ONE OF ONLY A FEW I HAVE RESPECTED FOR ALL ROUND QUALITIES IN A HUMAN BEING.PASSION FOR LIFE AND MUSIC WAS UNQUESTIONABLE,A TRUE EXAMPLE OF ONE OF THE SCENE'S HIGHEST ACHIEVERS.MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH JOHN PUGH AND KENNY ONIONS WHO WERE THE ONE'S THAT INTRODUCED ME TO MAX MANY YEARS AGO.

MY BEST TO THE FAMILY.

Social source share

If anyone can remember a couple of Cats tunes that were specifically associated with Max, I would appreciate it.

Will be doing a short tribute to him on Staffordshire/Cheshire station Signal 2 this Saturday.

Much appreciated.

kev,

without doubt, and its been mentioned here, the fabulous emotions - "funky chicken" which was the cats signature tune and my personal "headbanger" and max's anthem psychedelic soul by saxie russell, vala reegan - fireman....just 3 off the cuff....hope that helps

cheers, rob.h

Social source share

kev,

without doubt, and its been mentioned here, the fabulous emotions - "funky chicken" which was the cats signature tune and my personal "headbanger" and max's anthem psychedelic soul by saxie russell, vala reegan - fireman....just 3 off the cuff....hope that helps

cheers, rob.h

and Neil memtioned one earlier in this thread Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough

Social source share

Guest sandi

post-11382-127531682187_thumb.jpg

A TRIBUTE TO M.M.M. = MAX MASTER MENTOR

How do we measure a friends worth?..In The case of Mr Max Millward you can't .

He was priceless, no amount of money or even all the gold in the world can't reach Max the man himself, could'nt even come close. Max was totally unique, untouchable and wealthy beyond compare in a symbolic sense.

He had a great big heart , with passion and personality to match...what price could you put on that ???, always willing to pass on knowledge and guidance to all who shared a mutual love for Soul Music.

I remember fondly with love,respect and appreciation everything he taught me and at times what he learnt from me. He was always happy to hear opinions and ideas off those who sought his advice and more importantly his approval.

Can't count the times,hours and money spent in Max's shop, searching through thousands of vinyl, in my quest to obtain great soul tracks to add to our collection, that shop was the centre of the universe for so many of us in our bid to dig out treasured records, a proper Alladins cave. The extra added bonus was having Max there as company,always on hand to answer my many questions l fired his way, not to mention the cups of tea/coffee supply and fag swapping sessions that was all part of the shopping at Max's Place experience. true gentleman in every sense of the word.

Max my ode mucka, l will miss you terribly, still can believe we will never see you again. l draw comfort from knowing that although pysically you are no longer with us, you will never be far away, l have a special place in my heart thats just for you. You came into my life while l was still a kiddie and you influenced and nurtured my interest in all things soulful, l embraced the things you taught me and over the last nearly 4 decades l am now as passionate about the music as you were.Apart from the natural progression over the years , the whole experience was made possible because of you Max, the friendship we had was special, your influence and guidance means more to me than words can ever express.

As a friend and confidante,you were always ready to listen and offer a shoulder if needed- you did'nt have to do that Max,but you did because you cared.

As a promoter you supplied to the demand of the Wolverhampton and surrounding areas want's and needs, primarily catering to the masses who wanted to go to a venue playing 100% oldies. You spotted the potential and carried it out as a business venture.....that is in my opinion the only way to make a success of any venue and run as such....."supply and demand". Nobody can fault you for that.

SOME RECORDS, that l will always associate with Max, just for my own and Max's personal reasons.

1. Micky moonshine-Name it you got it.

(1 of max's cover ups, under the name of Manny Charles if my memory serves me well, dont

remember the title he gave it...but then l'm only a girlie)

2. Jimmy Mack-My world is on fire.

3. Sandy Mercer-Now that you're in (what you gonna do about it).

4.T-Empo-Saturday night,sunday morning.

God Bless you Max and thankyou for everything you taught and gave me freely.

It was truely an honour and a privilage to of known you, my life thanks to your knowledge and wisdom is so much richer because of you.

Love you, Respect you and will miss you my

MAXI-ONE-IN-A-MILLION.

Heart broken Sandi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share

if you dont mind me relating another story which im sure j.p. and kenny will smile at:

max had been booked with jp to do a gig wednesday evenings at a club/bar in macclesfield, so we jumped in max's 4x4 and toddled off. it wasnt really a northern night as much as something to entertain the locals and bring a bit more cash over the bar as midweek is a dead scene.after 2 efforts we got to july....a nice warm sunny evening.....got to the gig only to find the owner had gone on holiday, neglected to tell max and had even stowed all the disco gear away and the bar staff didnt have the keys, so that was short but sweet.......a nice leisurely drive back then......so we were passing a fishing pool....j.p. of course being astutely observant quipped:

"THATS A NICE LOOKING POOL.........WONDER IF THERE'S A BILLY BASS IN IT?"

we fell about!, in a manner of speaking, it was unbrldled laughter and pleasure for the next hour or so as we all played off against each other with northern soul artists names changed to sound like fish!!

PERCHY WIGGINS, JIMMY RUDDCLIFFE, DANNY WHITEBAIT, WHALE'S WALLACE, PIKE AND TUNA TURBOT.....IT WENT ON AND ON!!

the upshot was j.p. couldnt let this one go and must have put the thread on ktf ( dont know if soulsource was going then) 2001 and all of a sudden it went ballistic. levine, who cottoned onto this was not having any of the funny side of it, proclaiming we were all being silly which resulted in the throw the bottle out of the pram comment:

OOHH PERRRRRRRRLLEEEEEEASE!!

HAD SO MANY GREAT NIGHTS OUT WITH THE THREE AMIGO'S BUT MAX ABOVE ALL, ENJOYED THE BANTER, MISCHIEF, JOKING AND CAMERADERIE THAT WE FOUND IN EACH OTHER.

never a dull moment with max, always chased the clouds away....he will be an eternal ray of sunshine in everybody's memory forever.

rob.h

Social source share

If anyone can remember a couple of Cats tunes that were specifically associated with Max, I would appreciate it.

Will be doing a short tribute to him on Staffordshire/Cheshire station Signal 2 this Saturday.

Much appreciated.

I thought you might like this Kev : I took it of you and Max deep in conversation at last year's Torch Reunion .

His input will be sadly missed this year .

Malc Burton

post-5097-12753224481492_thumb.jpg

Social source share

To my dearest friend

At 3pm yesterday I lost my mentor and my true friend in the whole wide world Mr BlueMax Millward.

I'm so desperately sad that your gone Max,but you will always have a special place in my heart forever!!

I will treasure all the memories we shared and our chats we had on messenger almost every evening.

I will also treasure this record you bought me for my Birthday 2 years ago.

Love you Max (my hero),with all my heart & all my soul!!

I'll end my post as I always did on messenger when it was time for bed

Nighty night Sweetheart from your everloving BONGO xxxx

04 - Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You.mp3

Social source share

MEMORIES JUST KEEP FLOODING BACK,I REMEMBER ONE SATURDAY ,THE SHOP WAS PACKED,MAX JUST HELD UPA COPY OF VALA REGAN FIREMAN ATCO STOCK COPY THOUGHT YOU'D BE INTERESTED IN THIS HE SAID,NOT ARF SAID I FOR THE PRINCELY SUM OF 2QUID, HAPPY DAYS.SO MANY STORIES, JUST HAVE TO RECALL,MEMORY AINT AS GOOD NOW

Social source share

I am so so sad. My wishes go to his family who I know meant so much to him. We both became granparents in the last couple of years and we shared our thoughts on soul source threads about the joy our new additions brought to our lives. Everytime I Djed for him he made me so welcome and always had positive things to say about people and the soul scene in general.

Such a nice man.

Social source share

MEMORIES JUST KEEP FLOODING BACK,I REMEMBER ONE SATURDAY ,THE SHOP WAS PACKED,MAX JUST HELD UPA COPY OF VALA REGAN FIREMAN ATCO STOCK COPY THOUGHT YOU'D BE INTERESTED IN THIS HE SAID,NOT ARF SAID I FOR THE PRINCELY SUM OF 2QUID, HAPPY DAYS.SO MANY STORIES, JUST HAVE TO RECALL,MEMORY AINT AS GOOD NOW

Just about in the land of the living now, saw this Mr Wood & had to comment.

When Max was selling his first collection me as a snot nosed kid wanted something out of his play box, to cut a long story short i purchased for the princely sum of £5 the white demo of Vala Regan he had played at the Cats complete with the insulation tape on the b side to hold a crack together. Many years later when Kojack Harveys collection came to Max for selling i helped him sort over the period of 5 nights the entire collection into whatever music genre it fell into, whilst doing this i came across a copy of the said record on British Atlantic and asked Max how much ? he inquired of Kojack a price and i ended up paying £8 at which Max pipes up thats the second copy i played now you have both, no i don't i says the other is going to John Pugh and as far as i know we still have them.

Ken

Edited by Soulhustler
Social source share

Guest swoz

WHAT CAN I SAY FOR THIRTY ODD YEARS WE WERE MATES,HAD OUR UPS AND DOWNS AS FRIENDS DO,OUR CRAZY DAYS ME,YOU,BARMY BARRY,SAM THE RAM.KOJAK AND ALL THE OTHER CHARACTERS WE KNEW,THEN YESTERDAY AFTERNOON A BIG CHUNK OF MY LIFE WAS RIPPED OUT .REST IN PEACE MATE.WILL KEEP THE OLD FARTS SOUL CLUB GOING.HOPE TO SEE YOU ONE DAY AT THE BIG REUNION....SWOZ

Social source share

I met Max as recently as 4 years ago, it was at NCS Allnighter in Manchester. There I was with a small sales box with a few choice rarities, when this man stopped and politely looked through. He pulled out "The Appreciations - I Can't Hide It - Aware". He started talking to me, and expressed he would really like to have it. I had another 2 people that night want the record, both with cash. Max unfortunately didn't have cash that night, but he endeared such a warm feeling in me, that for some reason, I just wanted him to have it. He promised, he would send payment on Monday. I didn't know him, but for some reason, just felt like I did (almost like an old friend). Chris Waterman, came up to me and said (and I'll never forget it) "Andy, you'll never meet a more honest man", thanks Chris, but I had already made my mind up, Blue Max, had to have this record. Max asked if I would hold it for him, I said No, but I would let him take it with him there and then. His eyes lighted up, not with gladness, but almost with a sense of proudness of me as a fellow soulie. Payment turned up first post on Tuesday. I'll never forget that encounter with Max. He was special, he brought out the very best in me, and many others, I'm sure.

A beautiful and wonderful man. My sympathies go out to his dearest family and all his friends.

Some people, just leave something with you forever.

Andy Killick

APPRECIATIONS - I CANT HIDE IT -

Social source share

Guest Garry-C

Was at the Southampton alldayer yesterday when I got a text that Max was gone, the tears have been in my eyes ever since.......goodnight Max we will all miss you mate.

Garry

Social source share

To Linda,Katie,James,Paul and Max's precious little baby grandson Olly and also the many,many friends of Max's

our heart felt sympathies are with you all at this devastating time. :(

Lots of love to you all Helen,Martin,Daniel,Gemma & Laura also my mom Pat xxx

Social source share

R.I.P BLUE MAX

We've been out all weekend, & just got back to find that the legend that was Blue Max has died.

:(

Pete & myself still can't believe it.

Max, was a true gentleman who always wore a smile upon his face & always had time for a chat & catchup.

Our thoughts & best wishes go out to his family.

Max will be greatly missed by his soul family.

Love Julia & Pete

xxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Only met Max a couple of times back in the day. I used to go down to Wolves occasionally for the friday night Woolfrun Hall dos and stay with my mate steve Henshaw. On the Saturday we would go to Max's shop for some sounds. He was a great guy then. A few years ago I was in contact with him again over some records I was selling. So sad when another of the scenes legends goes.

RIP Max and my condolences to his family.

Paul

Social source share

Guest swoz

kev,

cheers, rob.h

records max loved

1-fife piper-dynatones

2-hearts desire-billy joe royal.he was over the moon when he finally got a uk demo

3-can't get over these memories-johnny & the wierdest

4-running for my life-roscoe shelton

5-can't take it anymore-spyder turner

6-were have all the flowers gone-walter jackson.carried on playing it while the police tried to kick us out the cats that final allnighter saturday july 13th-14th 1974

Edited by swoz
Social source share

Guest tmg555

So Sorry to hear about the....... Death of Blue Maxx.........He was a Classic 60ts d.j...Well known, and well respected..as at the Catacombes..and other gigs especially round the Midlands..... with his enthusisium and collection he was able to respond to his audience in his own way.....imparting great enjoyment to them ......a man of many talents judging by his shop!!! ......he will sadly missed ..........R.I.P...Max Millward.............Goodbye Chum .................Brian Rae

Social source share

This is terribly sad news and I extend my sympathy to his family and friends.

From the many posts it is obvious to those of us who only knew him from a distance that he was a man who was loved, and respected, by many. His contribution was legend and the tributes are fitting for a man who was so widely admired.

Rest in peace

Andy Rix

Social source share

Just sitting here stunned at the news memories flooding back of Saturday mornings at the shop early 70s with Alec + Henry from Hednesford Max would pull out and play unknown sounds to us like

Johnny Wyatt - This thing called love

Superlatives - I Still love you

Levi Jackson - This beautiful day

And the Isley Brothers album He dropped the needle on and the stunning - Tell me its just a rumour (How i wish this was)

Condolences to all the Family and many friends I am so proud to have known him a proper gent

God bless and Rest in peace Max

Stinny

Social source share

SO sorry to hear the sad sad news about max, Max would won't us soulies to keep his music he loved and lived for alive "so goodtimes"not sad times,so keep his smile with you, Love and peace to all this family and friends.

god bless. MISS SOUL SAM EVANS (hinckley northen soul) R.I.P. MAX

Social source share

Very sad news. Condolences to Max's family.

One of those times you can't believe what you're reading when you first see this thread.

I, like many who grew up around Wednesfield and Wolverhampton spent many hours in the shop. Firstly in the 70's.

Always remember seeing that green MG that Max had parked outside.

I bought a few of Max's records from the first time around and usually kept the cardboard covers as his writing was so neat! Quite proud of this "Cover-Up" with his writing on the sleeve that he played at the Cat's. Manny Charles indeed. He had originally put a sticker over it!

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

When i was a mere sprog doing the youth club and Colemans thing in Nottingham in the very early 70s.

I heard about The Catacombs and this DJ The Blue Max.

All sorts of weird things sprang to my mind like some German fighter pilot firing records onto a turntable with

unnering accuracy and being locked in some underground cave forever.

I finally met the man in question a couple of years back in Mansfield, courtesy of Paul Donnelly. (Think they had

been to a WBA v Peterborough cup game)

What a true gentleman he was, although i only spent a few minutes with him you could tell what a kind, caring,

honest, humble fella Max was.

Sir, It was a pleasure to have met you.

RIP Max

Gentleman, Icon, Friend

Edited by BigPaul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!