Blue Max Rip

So sad, the loss of a legend. To me and 1000s of others, this Northern Soul pioneer was the reason we travelled to Wolverampton on a Saturday night. It was the place to be, with DJs like Blue Max and those magical adverts in Blue & Soul asking you to come and hear sounds like Johnny Sayles, Richard Temple, Cigarette Ashes...

As a young lad a trip to The Cats was just the highlight of the week, the anticipation of hearing Blue Max and the team was unbearable over the 2 hour journey in an overloaded van.

Max, you gave me and every Melton Mowbray soulie during the early 70s memories we shall cherish for the rest of our lifes. A proper nice guy who changed the direction of many, many youngsters lifes. Thank you, thank you for the wonderful times and memories you gave us.

More importantly what a nice bloke, a true Gentleman & an all-time Giant of the Northern Soul Scene we shall miss you, indeed.

John and all @ John Manship Records.

john,

wednesday nights, max was in his element!....one dj at the decks for 5 hours!!, every tune brilliant, like a conveyor belt he just reeled them off.a packed dance floor with the likes of steve powell, paul derby, jethro and jacko....dancers who went on to wigan, but this was their home...he inspired them all. one evening max had just got his hands on a copy of mike post coalition "fused"lp and during the course of the night he played "afternoon on the rhino" SIX TIMES!!, IT WAS SO AMAZING, IT PACKED THE FLOOR EVERY TIME and max loved it....he WAS that enthusiastic about the music. he was the first person to play "psychedelic soul" by saxie russell and it became a cats anthem...he got that when graham warr came back from the states 73 with literally hundreds, or was it thousands? of discoveries and this gem was amongst them.

i know richard s. will be personally affected by this as well, he held him in such high esteem, im sure had wigan been mr. searling's baby, he would have had max on as a guest. things like popcorn wylie, johnny howard, otis blackwell, devonnes, connie clark, velvets etc., wigan anthems played by richard but first revealed to the scene by max........richard would have given his right arm to have had max spin them, such was his respect for the master.

we have to commit his name to stone and carve it with pride and im sure, in time there will be a fitting memorial to the man known as....BLUE MAX

ROB.H

Social source share

What can I say, Kath & I were devastated at the news broken to us at Rolls Royce on Sunday. I can still see him smiling and pointing to me on the dance floor the night before at Brookfields, something that I will cherish forever. Like Rob Haigh, as a young kid, back in '73, we made the pilgrimage to the box of delights in Wednesfield and never looked back. Ever the mentor, full of encouragement and always out to help and inspire. I remember him throwing me bookings that he couldn't undertake when the boom started in '75 and being sold such monumental records 'Determination, Fabulous Apollos', 'Man with a golden touch - Charles Thomas' and so forth. Saturday mornings were so special, with all the eager youth catching all those tunes. The way Max would stand behind the counter and sway to the music with approval. Like so many, the high honour has always been DJ-ing with him at venues and popping in at odd afternoons to the shop for a coffee and a chat about all those great days.

I remember a couple of years ago how Max was longing once more to meet Rob Haigh and caught up with him again at Harpo's 50th birthday party. And as goes for everyone locally, he loved us all.

Will miss you always and love you always Max. God Bless.

Kath & Steve xx

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I was hoping when Kenny said in his first post it looked like they caught him at the right time he was going to be all right. Shocked to hear when I got to Nottingham last night of his passing. A very unassuming fella and a true gent of the scene. My sincerest condolences and sympathies to Linda and all Max's family.

Social source share

MAX WILL ALWAYS BE "ONE OF THE FIRST - ONE OF THE BEST"

THE LAST RECORD PLAYED AT THE CATACOMBS ON THE OCCASION OF THE LAST GRAND ALL-NIGHTER, 13TH JULY 1974, WAS WALTER JACKSON...

......MAX PLAYED IT.....

IT SUMS UP THE DESOLATION FELT NOW.....

" WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE?"

ONE MORE PICKED AND GONE TO HEAVEN.......REST IN PEACE DEAR FRIEND

WALTER JACKSON - WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE -

Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

I love this picture and wanted to share it, My son Max meets My DJ Hero Max.

post-10634-12752990315327_thumb.jpg

Max always had time for everyone!

Will miss you mate x

Social source share

What can I say that hasn't already been said other than to echo what has been said is all true.

Max was a lovely guy and as I used to tell him 'A Soul legend in his own lifetime'

Only glad that he spent time visiting his daughter in New zealand recently which gave him a

great amount of pleasure. My condolences to his family, his passing is a sad loss to me and the

soul fraternity in general.

God Bless Max - Rest in peace

Love Dazz

Social source share

Since Gary Holyman rang with the news yesterday afternoon I've been stunned and I still can't take it in.

I visted Max at his house a few weeks ago and he was full of beans, talking about how much he was enjoying his retirement. He was walking his dog for hours every day and looked 100% fit.

How unfair that he was stuck at the shop for years, and now retired he has not been able to enjoy many more years.

I will never forget the privilege of Max allowing me as a 20 year old to DJ on Saturday nights with him at The Catacombs, putting on Cats favourites like The Sapphires "Slow Fizz" and Brice Coalfied "Ain't That Right" and seeing Max smiling broadly.

At The Catacombs Reunion do's I would play something like Johhny Sayles "I Can't Get Enough" and Max would turn around and say: "Neil, do you remember at The Cats where they would run up the walls to this, do you remember?"

Indeed I do mate. Can't write anymore, am too upset, and crying my eyes out.

RIP

Neil

Edited by NeilRushton1
Social source share

''im not driving to the manchster niter now but ill ask if my lift can just nip into the stables as i need to see max for a tune ive got to pick up''

I POPPED INTO THE STABLES ON SATURDAY TO SORT THE DEAL OUT TO GET A RECORD MAX HAD SAVED FOR ME 'MAURICE WILLIAMS - BEING WITHOUT YOU' FOR OVER TWO MONTHS......IT BOOKS AT 100 MARK SO YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR £60!!! ... THIS SUMS THIS GUY UP,, A GENT,,A LEGEND OF A MAN AND A TRUE ICON OF THE SCENE AND A PIONEER OF THIS MAGICAL SCENE WE'VE GOT CALLED NORTHERN SOUL,,

WE SHARED THE SAME BIRTHDAY AND I DONT NEED THAT DATE TO REMEMBER THIS BRILLIANT GUY.....

WE'VE LOST ONE OF THE BEST THERES EVER BEEN!!!!

MAX YOU WERE OF NICEST BLOKES,,BEST DJS,,SUPERB PROMOTERS AND IM GLAD I GOT TO SEE YOU ONE MORE TIME ON SATURDAY

GOD BLESS YOU MAX AND RIP

SOULFUL REGARDS

MARK FREEMAN

Social source share

Well, it's hard to comprehend the events of the last 36 hours (less than 24 for myself as I only heard of his fate yesterday)

I've known Max since I was a teenager in the late mid 70's, although I've known him very well over the last 15 years. I'm still expecting a phone call or email telling me he'll pick me up to go fishing in the morning - just like the one I had Thursday before last. ---

Mick - Fancy fishing in the morning - pick you up about 9 //

Sorry mate, I'm off to Wales in the morning, can't make it //

No probs, we'll go next week instead //

Fine Max, see you at the Great Western next Sunday and we'll take it from there //

I'm still stunned, and feel sick to the stomach.

I'll miss him very much. - I already do.

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

IT'S GREAT TO RECALL SOME OF TRULY WONDERFUL MEMORIES,THAT EVOLVED AROUND MAX'S SHOP.COMING FROM WOODCROSS,AS I MET UP WITH MATES ON THE MONDAY,ALL THEY TALKED ABOUT WAS THE CATS (CATACOMBS) WHERE THEY HAD BEEN THE PREVIOUS WEEKEND,YOU'VE GOT TO COME,YOU NEED TO SEE THIS, AND HEAR STUFF YOU CAN'T HEAR ANYWHERE ELSE.SO THAT NEXT WEEK I WENT ALONG,THAT WEEKEND CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER,IT WAS LIKE A DRUG,I COULD'NT WAIT FOR MY NEXT HIT.EVERY SATURDAY,PAY BIG RAY ON THE DOOR,MAYBE HAVE ONE PINT,THEN ON TO COKE(THE SOFT DRINK VARIETY ,OF COURSE) AND THE MAKE MY WAY,TO A GOOD VANTAGE POINT ,INFRONT OF THE HATCH WHERE THE DUSTY RECORD DECKS LIVED,READY TO COME ALIVE WITH TUNES ,EVEN NOW THAT SEND GOOSE BUMPS OVER MY BODY.MAX USUALLY KICKED THINGS OFF WITH THE FABULOUS EMOTIONS FUNKY CHICKEN,WHICH BECAME HIS THEME TUNE AS I RECALL.THEN WOMBAT,THELMA LINDSAY,SAXIE RUSSEL,RECORDS THAT 18 MONTHS OR SO LATER WOULD BE MASSIVE AT STATION RD.THE DANCE FLOOR WOULD GO CRAZY WITH COACHES UP FROM GLOS,CAMBS,EVERYWHERE!.NAMES FROM THE PAST THAT SPRING TO MIND,SQEEK,EGGY,PAUL WALKER,RIC-TIC,AND OF COURSE SMOKEY.THE NIGHT WOULD BE OVER TOO SOON,AS IS THE CASE WHEN YOUR TOTALY ENJOYING YOURSELF.AS THE WEEKS,YEARS GO ON,I FIND MYSELF GOING OUT WITH A GIRL FROM WEDNESFIELD(LATERTO BECOME MRS WOODY).WHAT MARVELLOUS LOCATION WEDNESFIELD WAS ON THE 79 BUS OFF AT THE ROUNDABOUT,INTO MAX'S SHOP,PLOUGHING THROUGH LOADS OF VINYL,ALWAYS COMING OUT WITH A LITTLE BROWN BAG WITH AT LEAST 6OR7 RECORDS IN,AS TIME WENT ON SOMETIMES THERE WOULD BE SOMETHING OUT OF YOUR PRICERANGE I'LL PUT IT TO ONE SIDE IF YOU LIKE WOODY SAID MAX,THE SHOP WAS LIKE A WEEKLY GET TOGETHER,A FEW NAMES COME TO LIGHT ,KENNY ONIONS,SWOZ, BRIAN S ROB H ,SOMETIMES WHEN IN THERE MAX WOULD POP NEXT DOOR WITH SAM AND HAVE A QUICK GAME OF DARTS :thumbsup: ALL I CAN SAY IS IT'S BEEN AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE TO HAVE KNOWN SUCH A MAN AS MAX MILLWARD A.K.A. BLUE MAX . HEART FELT CONDOLANCES TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS R.I.P. MAX

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Some of my earliest memories at soul events are of Max at the turntables along with his old mate Kojak. Back then as a young buck it seemed what ever the record you asked for they would be able to pull it out of their record boxes, happy days.

Kojak god theres a name from the past ? I know my old friend Pedro was very close to max he was always in his shop ,in the 3 or 4 years since ped died iv lost a lot of motivation some how, he inspired me to listen to new things ,most max had put him on to ,ped john and now max gone ,it really is the end of a era for me ,kind of puts your life in to perspective, a lot of smiles gone !god bless you all

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Having been busy this weekend, I havnt been on SS for a couple of days. My wife was on FB and said "do you know Blue Max" yup why? then she told me. OMG!!!! Just lost for words. Totally. To all his family the man will be missed and our condolences. I cant type anymore RIP Max.

Rick

Social source share

We got to know Max when we used to go to Lea Manor - since then every time we crossed paths, he always had a big smile on his face and would welcome us like old friends. He was such a lovely man, a true gentleman.

As with many on here, we were completely stunned when Ted told us at Rolls-Royce that he'd died.

The world will be a poorer place without him in it.

Rest in peace, Max.

Kev & Vicki

Social source share

Guest Doris

All who know Max,

He was rushed into hospital from Brookfields last night with heart problems and put into intensive care. I have spoken with Linda his wife this morning and it seems he was caught at the right time, and is b

So sorry to hear that Max is gone - all the best to his family and that the midlands lot will see him off well xxxxx

Big hugs Ken - have'nt seen you in a while but know how close all of you were

Sue and Mike (Doris)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I went up to do the Sunshine Girls charity gig a couple of years ago. As I was going round with the bucket, Max introduced himself and said 'Great to meet you, Jo - heard a lot about you'.....I was stopped in my tracks - this was Max - the man who was part of the bedrock of the UK soul scene. To say I was flattered was an understatement. We chatted away for a while and John Pugh and Kenny Onions turned up and completed our 'soul gaggle'...what a wonderful night and a privilege to have met him. Before he left, Max gave me his business card and said 'Ring me.....' R.I.P Max - you were a true gent and your departure leaves an empty space that can't be filled. Jo

Social source share

ill never forget the week after i left secondary school, i started work in a little printers/stationers in walsall 1974. in those days some employers made you work a week in lieu, so i thought i wouldnt get any money straight away, so i told my mom and expected nothin. to my amazement and delight however, i was wrong and come the end of the week, i recieved the princely sum of £8!.....i didnt tell my mom and payed no board....

.......GUESS WHERE I WENT AND SPENT THE MONEY?

i purchased the likes of paul anka, laura green, dean courtney and a few others and not a penny left!!....WAS I HAPPY OR NOT?!

MAX'S SHOP REALLY WAS A SPECIAL PLACE, FULL OF GOOD TIMES AND HAPPY MEMORIES....AND GREAT TUNES

rob.h

Social source share

didnt really know max altho always around same places in the early 70s.......... he has bought a few 45s from me, the latest just last week...bar- b-q wendy renee,worn his old copy out i expect............r.i.p ............seems like every week theres another loss to the scene......ezzie

Social source share

Sitting here crying my eyes out a broken man as i have just been informed that Max is no longer with us.

Can't really say anymore at the moment as i need to clear my head.

God bless you Max

will miss you always

ken,

if you and claudette are of a frame of mind, in the near future, would you please do us all the great honour of keeping us abreast of developements with regards to arrangements.

its less than 2 days and the grief is still fresh and raw but if the soul fraternity pulls together we can all be strong for each other...and for you who, were his closest friends.

my only wish is that we could be meeting in happier circumstances but it seems that in recent times, fate is conspiring against us.

miss you loads, love rob & may

Social source share

When i got to the Stables on Saturday night he did not seem to be very well he had chest pains from Friday afternoon and thought he had an infection. I followed him at 11.00pm his last record was Julian Covey A little bit hurt not on some common label but Greek Fontana no less. He was the kindess most generous bloke on our scene. Life is such a bastard because he had finally cracked it at the Stables with Saturday being the best attended yet with nearly 200 in and this happens aint it a bitch. Kenny called me on Sunday just as i was about to go in the Rolls Royce venue and nearly didnt continue but i dedicated my spot to him and the round of cheering and clapping to show him respect was fantastic i hope he was listening to the applause, he should be proud of what he achieved in life and be remembered as the guy who educated and introduced a large amount of the west midands youth in the 70's to Northern Soul. God bless mate rest in peace

Social source share

Hi

So ,so, sad reading this news. Echo what everyone has said ,

Max has a massive impact on us both first and foremost as a total and utter gentleman of the highest

order but also as one of Lea Manor's finest DJ's ..memories of Bumpy and Thumpy (Max and John ) just

bring a big smile to this day.

For me personally I have so much to thank him for as it was Max who found me The Wharf Bar in Walsall

and subsequently Soul Underground was born.

Our sincere condolences go out to all Max's family and especially friends John Pugh and Kenny Onions and respective

families..you must all be devasted.

RIP Max one of a kind ,and you leave a huge legacy to this music we love.

Total respect

Lin and Tait

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

There passes a legend.

One of the true pioneers when most of us were still sitting behind a school desk.

RIP Max, see ya again someday :hatsoff2:

cats.jpg

Social source share

My first recollections of Max speaking to me, was at Cats. Don't know if anyone remembers when the DJ's tiny box was in the corner of the dance floor. Then suddenly got moved to the end of the bar. Sorry guys, I gotta put my hands up for doing a back flip or flips. making the tracks jump. Oooops... Yes Maxes first ever words to me were probably along the lines of "what the fxxx you think you doing, fxxxxing stop that or I will have you thrown out.

That was in the very early seventies (Aged 16). Then one nite I took Katrina to Soul In The Cellor, Wallsal. Where I had the privilage of double decking with Max. My hero of the soul scene.

I only really got to know Max again was about ten years ago. Yet got to know him better as a friend in the last two years or so. He always chatted to us. Thought the world of katrina as he knew me during my dark period.

Funny thing is, we never think that the last time we saw someone would be the last. I can rember chatting to him, laughing about old days, and he always chatted about his family to Trins.

I am gonna stop now. Tears starting.

Love you Max and Colin sends you a tail wag

Condolences to his grandson and family, to all his friends and anyone who was fortunate enough to meet this "The Original Gentleman of Soul"

Tezz and Katrina XXXXXXX

Edited by Tezz
Social source share

very very sad news. These tributes on here only confirm to us all what a stalwart/pioneer/giant we've lost. To me personally, 'Blue Max' was legendary name that was spoken about when we were youngsters starting out on our soul journey. My late Brother in law would mention his name quite often, but to me he was out of my reach because i was still at school. amazing that over 30 years have passed since then, but 'Blue Max' is still mentioned in such high esteem. proves to me as someone who only met him the once (last year at the Torch reunon), what a true gent we've lost

RIP Max

Social source share

Oh my God!! Haven't been on my pc since the middle of last week and to read of this I can hardly bear it. Max, to me, was one of THE very best, the dude who calmed me down before my very first set at Lea Manor by simply using kind words of encouragement, we had never met prior to that event yet you'd have thought different with the we we interacted. I am truly devastated but absolutely honoured to have met and made friends with such a great man, memories of Lea Manor and Black Horse will stay with me forever. My sincerest condolences go to his immediate family and all of those closest to him.

God bless.

David Miller.

Social source share

Guest mark hanson

Sitting here crying my eyes out a broken man as i have just been informed that Max is no longer with us.

Can't really say anymore at the moment as i need to clear my head.

God bless you Max

will miss you always

Ken,

Only just heard the news on Facebook mate. I am gutted as I was only talking to him on line the other day. I wish it were me than Max as he was the nicest guy on the scene.

You, Max and John have always stood by me in my problems and more so Max recently.

I feel like I've lost a parent today as well as a good friend and a decent human being.

I have tears of sadness in my eyes and can only wish he did not suffer in his final moments. I am also glad he got out to New Zealand to see his family out there and wish all his family my own heart-felt condolences at this horrible time.

I can only imagine how you and John must feel Ken. Still I'm sure we'll do him proud and make sure he leaves us in style befitting the great man.

Faithfully your friend

Mark

Social source share

Heard about the news yesterday at Nottingham.Max's name was lendgendary.A pioneer.Didn't know him ,only by sight,but one of the proudest moments for me was when Paul Donnelly brought Max to the Attic.Max coming to our do!!!.And he enjoyed himself,it meant so much to me.

RIP Max.

Social source share

Thanks to everyone for your kind and loving messages and memories at this very sad time. We know how much you all meant to our Dad and how passionate he was about his music. He was the most kind, loving and gentle person who our hearts will never forget. We are thankful he did such great things with such great people and that he will always be treasured.

It is difficult to know what to say, I don't think we really believe it, but it is good to know there are so many of us to support and look out for each other, for which we can only give our sincere thanks.

Lots of Love, Linda, Katie, James, Paul, Jodi, Baby Olly, and Eddie woof woof xxxxxxxxx

RIP Dad, We love you.

Maxwell Anthony Millward. 28/10/1942 - 30/05/2010

Social source share

Guest soulmanvirgin

Very sad to hear that Max has left the building.

He was a legend but also the " KING" of the djs in the Wolverhampton area.

Had many a fantastic night at his do,s,

Respect to a real gent.

Respects to his family and close friends.

Bev & Shanesad.gifsad.gif

Social source share

Guest Mark Cartwright

I am so sad and sorry to hear of Max's passing.

Like so may kids growing up in Wednesfield in the 70's, Max's shop was such a special place. Even then he always had time for everyone regardless of how much they knew of the scene. Max must be responsible for so many kids in Wolvo getting into Northern Soul (and staying there).

I wnet away from the scene for years but will never forget Max poking me in the back on the very first Northern night I went to coming back into the scene and saying hello.

Max was a legend on the scene and responsible for so much we now take for granted on the scene but more than that he was a top bloke, a proper gent with time for everyone.

It was our privaledge to know Max.

Our condolences to Max's family. Max will be greatly missed.

Godspeed Max

Mark and Sue

Edited by Mark Cartwright
Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Sad news to hear about the loss of a true gentleman, always had time for a chat and pm, never failed to wish us well with our do even though "Good Times" was often on the same night, which to me speaks volumes, unselfish and respectful of others.

Our thoughts go out to his family at this time.

"Blue" Max Millward R.I.P.

Tom & Therese

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

my condolences to the family and friends, of which i see he had many here on SS.

i didnt know him, but over the years tuning into internet radio "soul" shows and browsing internet "soul" sites i've seen and

heard the name "Blue Max" on many dj lineups and the name always stuck in my mind. i wonder if he could have ever imagined

some "nobody" in the middle of Nebraska in the United States would know who he is? again, my condolences to you all.

jacob

Social source share

my condolences to the family and friends, of which i see he had many here on SS.

i didnt know him, but over the years tuning into internet radio "soul" shows and browsing internet "soul" sites i've seen and

heard the name "Blue Max" on many dj lineups and the name always stuck in my mind. i wonder if he could have ever imagined

some "nobody" in the middle of Nebraska in the United States would know who he is? again, my condolences to you all.

jacob

I think Max would have been tickled pink to know that someone in Nebraska knew who he was.

I've delayed writing anything because I just didn't know what to say, I still don't, except to say what a tragic loss so soon after he started his well earned retirement.

Rest in Peace Max, A legend in your own lifetime, you led the way for so many in the early years, and that's an achievement any of us would be proud to claim.

Condolences to the family, and John and Ken as well.

Social source share

Guest Drippin
hatsoff2.gif A sad loss to the soul MAN the perfect gent who kept it going, will be sadly missed by allsad.gif Our thought to his family,Drippin and Nita xxxx
Social source share

such sad sad news, best wishes to his family and friends. RIP

Phil

If anyone can remember a couple of Cats tunes that were specifically associated with Max, I would appreciate it.

Will be doing a short tribute to him on Staffordshire/Cheshire station Signal 2 this Saturday.

Much appreciated.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!