Yate Memories

Guest daryl baldwin

Guest Needsy

Well i remember Yate well some great nights specially remember the night it snowed really bad and we were all trying to suss out whos car was whos

Social source share

Guest roggert

i'm researching about the yate scene for a university project. if you're from gloucester/shire and you attended, what are your memories about the place, the music, fave tunes, etc. what was the building like, what djs played there. anything you wanna share is good for me - bear your soul - you know you want to.

vaguely used to go there but due to distance -i think it was near bristol took gear early to keep going , always a long drag back!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Glawsters Best

Does anyone know THE CRACK..........Was the in saying at the sterling suite.......denis & gabby started it.....my brother took me there when i was i think 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!micky b can you remember

snooky

I think you'll find that was me and Curtis who started that :lol:

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Yeah Steve I remember. It was all the Glos lot as usual - Leon, Polly, Curtis and all the rest of them. Something like "Does anyone know the crack, we knows the crack, cos we are the crack". Perhaps Leon could confirm?

About a year later, the main saying was "Or what?!" As in "is The Four Professionals the bollocks or wot?"

Can confirm Micky that me and curtis started (do you know the Crack) we even use make and sell badges with do you or we know the crack on them

and 33 years come own up who bought the badges seriously we sold loads so there must be someone on here who bought them

FOOLS :lol:

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Anyone remember Polly use to have a Morris 1000 van me and dennis use pinch it and hide it from him we put it on the main roundabout in Yate one night but fairplay that van went everywhere it was the only transport we had in them days Polly would make two or three trip to Gloucester and back

but Gaby bless him it's 13 years tomorrow (SUNDAY 5TH JUNE ) since he passed on RIP

Social source share

Guest MichaelB

Hey Leon,

I still miss him too.

One of my best Yate memories was me and him sitting in a car for most of the night playing Joy Division and Gang of Four tapes (1980/81) - not very soulie I know, but I guess we were getting bored - by the end of the night there was about eight people in this little car, you can imagine the state of everyone.

Only thing that puzzles me is I don't remember Gabby or anyone else trying to sell one of your badges, never saw them. Might be worth a few bob now.

Best,

Mickey

Social source share

i'm researching about the yate scene for a university project. if you're from gloucester/shire and you attended, what are your memories about the place, the music, fave tunes, etc. what was the building like, what djs played there. anything you wanna share is good for me - bear your soul - you know you want to.

:thumbsup: HI I WAS ALWAYS TO STONED AT YATE? HAVE GOOD MEMORIES, BUT ALAS UNPRINTABLE, laugh.gif

:thumbup: THIS IS THE ONLY POSTER I HAVE, AND YOU CAN SEE HOW DAMAGED AND FRAIL IT HAS BECOME, HENCE THE GLASS FRAME, AS POSTERS GO, THIS IS A RARE ONE, AND THE ARTWORK IS ACE, EVEN IN THIS CONDITION IT'S £50+ EASY, IAN WOULD LIKE IT I'M SURE, JUST A SHAME IT 'S NOT GOT ALL-NIGHTER ON IT? IF IT IS OF USE PM ME AND WE WILL DO A BETTER COPY. ph34r.gif DAVE

post-13241-0-97267700-1307423122_thumb.j

Social source share

Never seen that, and don't remember it either! I have a feeling it was an in-house promotion and nothing to do with any of the Niter promoters - anyone remember going?

:thumbsup: HI You are so right, but what a brilliant poster it would have been if it had off been, if get my drift I should get it copied,:thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

Anyone remember Polly use to have a Morris 1000 van me and dennis use pinch it and hide it from him we put it on the main roundabout in Yate one night but fairplay that van went everywhere it was the only transport we had in them days Polly would make two or three trip to Gloucester and back

but Gaby bless him it's 13 years tomorrow (SUNDAY 5TH JUNE ) since he passed on RIP

Still think about him all the time, going round his house and never knowing wether Usep was going to be in a good mood or not

Social source share

:D HI I WAS ALWAYS TO STONED AT YATE? HAVE GOOD MEMORIES, BUT ALAS UNPRINTABLE, :yes:

:lol: THIS IS THE ONLY POSTER I HAVE, AND YOU CAN SEE HOW DAMAGED AND FRAIL IT HAS BECOME, HENCE THE GLASS FRAME, AS POSTERS GO, THIS IS A RARE ONE, AND THE ARTWORK IS ACE, EVEN IN THIS CONDITION IT'S £50+ EASY, IAN WOULD LIKE IT I'M SURE, JUST A SHAME IT 'S NOT GOT ALL-NIGHTER ON IT? IF IT IS OF USE PM ME AND WE WILL DO A BETTER COPY. :lol: DAVE

That was when Ian Levine was touring his artists, was on before one of the allnighter, went along, Evelyn was awesome.

Social source share

Guest soul elite

My first ever Niter was there, lasting impression is some lad being fast asleep laying down on a seat and this other lad emptying a very full ashtray into his open mouth!!

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Hey Leon,

I still miss him too.

One of my best Yate memories was me and him sitting in a car for most of the night playing Joy Division and Gang of Four tapes (1980/81) - not very soulie I know, but I guess we were getting bored - by the end of the night there was about eight people in this little car, you can imagine the state of everyone.

Only thing that puzzles me is I don't remember Gabby or anyone else trying to sell one of your badges, never saw them. Might be worth a few bob now.

Best,

Mickey

yeah me and Curtis used to sell them

who remembers Dave Thorley playing sex pistols or some thing at yate one night

Dave own up :lol:

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

One of only two pictures I still have of Gabby (with me and Mark), Jo posted it up when she was on the forum a few years ago.

Ali

got some photos of Gab not long before he passed on i'll seek them out and put them on as soon as :lol:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah funny, did the same myself today Dave - it took time to suss out the layout of carpark as part is built on but sure enough it's still there amid the much larger sprawl of the shopping centre - a real strange buzz going back there so many memories of intense nights of bliss and some times even terror haha

Drove through Yate last friday, and picked out the venue - as you say, a strange feeling as I haven't been there since leaving my last niter there in 1982/3 - seems more of the car park is being built on for an extension to a Tesco store...but I could still look up at the old place and dream...it took a couple of pints of Bristol Beer Factory's finest product to bring me round!:thumbsup:

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

• 6 years later...

At the time Yate was at it's peak Saturday night at Wigan was rubbish the only thing keeping it going was the Friday oldies night once a month and Yate ticked every box when it came to allnighters and in my 44+ years going to many allnighters no other place was as good or feel like i did there,  Talk to many who went regularly and they'll say the same, you can see a twinkle in there eye and a smile on there face when they start talking about the place and the memories come flooding back....Hotdog (worcester) 

Social source share

1 hour ago, HOTDOG said:

At the time Yate was at it's peak Saturday night at Wigan was rubbish the only thing keeping it going was the Friday oldies night  

..... and this weeks winner of the 'Wigan went shit in....' competition goes to. 

1st prize is a pair of 40" Spencers  (2nd prize is two pairs)

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

• 7 months later...

There is one person who if it wasn't for him, a great deal of people would not have had such  " SMASHING " nights and that is the late  "STEVE WILLIAMS"  from Blackwood, part of a very well known & liked, Welsh crew   If ever written in a book about Yate and who helped  make it one of the top allnighter ever then his name should be on that list, I just like to stat that for the record,,,,,,HDx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/03/2011 at 16:29, alison said:

Found a few photo's in a recent sort out, I have loads more in the cellar but there are spiders down there so until John will bring the boxes up, these were the only Yate ones I could find.

I've got loads somewhere, Smithy, all the Newbury & Cannock lot, lots of the car park and broken down vehicles (Gethro's white Jag) for some reason.

I do recall dressing as a Nun and having wraps stashed in my wimple. Can you remember that amusing fanzine we used to have - Clarkeys crapographics ? Got a flyer he did for the soul party we put on at the Plough - attached.

The multiple scan photo, top right is at Yate.

post-856-0-63373700-1299255842_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-66062200-1299255885_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-07517300-1299255955_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-21834000-1299256040_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-91220400-1299257123_thumb.jpg

Alison I remember your Father speaking up for the 7 of us on that day and your father was no fool, and thought wow not many parents would stand up and speak in our favour, Can't remember if I ever said thank you at the time, but if not then THANK YOU to your father & you and loads of respect...Hotdog (Worcester)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!