Riley Smith Hall - 21St May

Hi ,starting Lookbacks for Dale who's taking Phil Shields to the airport - that's commitment for you.!!! Flying in from the Emerald Isle Saturday am,back Sunday.Top Man Phil....:thumbup: .

Anyway let's start at the beginning.The Warm Up.Tadcaster Social Club.Kicked off at 2.45pm as planned,folks drifting in 3.00 onwards.Nice feeling at the warm up.No pressure on what's being spun.Sort of a chill out with balls.

Big thumbs up to all the dj's.A great way to start the day.

7.15,Steve L and Mak were spinning the vinyl in the Hardway.Again,folks drifting in from about 7.45.Hats off to Richard,dancing from the off.

Musically top drawer for me,...Masterclasses from Steve,Joan,Sam and Andy,thanks.!!!!Plenty of like minded people in the room.Dancefloor reaction up and down but never empty.A busy night .

Couldn't spend too much time in the main room,kept having a look from the balcony.Seemed busy in there too.

Finally thanks to Paul,Steve and Dean for putting up with me.And to everyone else,i apologise.Well,i must have said something!!.:lol:

Cheers m'dears.:rolleyes:

Edited by KevH
  • Replies 24
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi ,starting Lookbacks for Dale who's taking Phil Shields to the airport - that's commitment for you.!!! Flying in from the Emerald Isle Saturday am,back Sunday.Top Man Phil....:lol: .

Anyway let's start at the beginning.The Warm Up.Tadcaster Social Club.Kicked off at 2.45pm as planned,folks drifting in 3.00 onwards.Nice feeling at the warm up.No pressure on what's being spun.Sort of a chill out with balls.

Big thumbs up to all the dj's.A great way to start the day.

7.15,Steve and Mak were spinning the vinyl in the Hardway.Again,folks drifting in from about 7.45.Hats off to Richard,dancing from the off.

Musically top drawer for me,...Masterclasses from Steve,Joan,Sam and Andy,thanks.!!!!Plenty of like minded people in the room.Dancefloor reaction up and down but never empty.A busy night .

Couldn't spend too much time in the main room,kept having a look from the balcony.Seemed busy in there too.

Finally thanks to Paul,Steve and Dean for putting up with me.And to everyone else,i apologise.Well,i must have said something!!.:yes:

Cheers m'dears.:rolleyes:

Had a great time Kev/Dale, 10 hrs of superb music 'and I got home before half 3 am, that'll be a first :), starting at the warm up across the road in the afternoon n' ending up stairs at the Riley Hall, with great company and brilliant crac in both venus it was :yes:.

Kev, thank you again for asking me to spin some of my albums, really enjoyed it.............. honest laugh.gif.

Well done guys :thumbup:.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit

Had a great night at the Riley Hall ,1st time for us we came over from Wigan and worth the trip!!Some good oldies played with the odd bits of new stuff will definatley be over for the next one cant remember the chaps name who runs it and he did introduce himself to me,hats of to you bud you got a cracking place there well done :rolleyes:

Finally thanks to Paul,Steve and Dean for putting up with me.And to everyone else,i apologise.Well,i must have said something!!.:rolleyes:

Great time throughout the whole afternoon / evening. Could've been a bit of a challenge with Steve, Kev and Paul drinking from 2.30pm to 1am as the designated driver but the time flew and would've liked more.

Great welcome from Dale, good to meet Steve Green (played some wonderful stuff in the small room) and Martyn Bird. Spent most of evening in Hardway room but convenient to keep nipping out to the balcony to look over the main hall. If anything I was surprised by the oldies focus of the main hall which if it sounds like a criticism - it isn't. Good solid spots that I caught parts of in the main hall, my criticism would be aimed at other clubs playing boots and repros that tend (in my opinion) to water down the impact of real genuine oldies spots like those on offer here.

Good crowd all night in the main hall, some good dancers too, enjoyed the view from the balcony and a couple of time went scurrying downstairs to join the floor after 30 seconds intro.

Small (hardway) room was busy all night with people enjoying something else. The difference between Sam's spot in the main hall and the small room was amazing, showing the range of potential soul in the man's box. Same could be said of Andy Dyson. Sam did give Andy a lesson in fidgiting as they swapped over.

Best spot for me was Joan, but hey - that's just preference on the night.

Not going to put these in Playlists thread as it's such a small list and was only the warm-up for the warm-up. But here's a few I was happy to play early doors over the road doubling up with Steve L (playing 2 each in pairs))

Soul Notes - Don't Make Me Beg ((Way Out)

Oliver Norman - Drowning in my own despair (Decca)

Forris Woods - Stoned on love (Abbot)

James Brown and the Famous Flames - There Was A Time (King)

The Jaedes - What'll It Take To Make You Happy (Athena LP)

Our Brother's Keeper - The Harlem Clown (King)

Roy hamilton - The Panic Is On (MGM)

J. Jame - Hold On, Help is on the Way (J. J. Records)

Chris Jones - Destination Unknown (Gooodie Train)

Lavell Hardy - What Kind Of Woman (Rojac)

odd one at the end ... Lesley Gore - No Matter What you Do (Mercury)

Couple I didn't pack that I'd intended to play but there was an incident with a blender, some milk, banana and honey before I set out that put me behind and in a rush.

Glad to be a small part of such a good night, Dean

What a fab way to spend an evening!

It was the first time for us and I have to say what a lovely place Tadcaster is. Well impressed by John Smith's brewery building on the way in. It has an incredible chimney (I have a thing for chimneys).

As for the venue itself. Wow! What an awesome place Riley Smith Hall is (I have a thing for buildings). It is so good to see a place being restored for a change instead of being left to decay. Both rooms were fantastic. I didn't stray out of the top room at all apart from going to the bar on arrival and the obligatory trips to the ladies. I did pop to have a look from the balcony from time to time though and everyone certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Great music and fun from the off in the Hardway. Loved it!!

Will post my plays later.

ps: When Sam took over from me he said I have always wanted to follow the Four Voices with Chuck Holiday but never had the chance to until now. Great stuff indeed.

ps: When Sam took over from me he said I have always wanted to follow the Four Voices with Chuck Holiday but never had the chance to until now. Great stuff indeed.

Great line from the master wasn't it Joan "Wow how do you follow that . . . . . . perhaps with this....." Wonderful, a treat to be there.

Guest BigPaul

Well, a veritable feast of quality soul, enjoyed the warm up, plenty of crap talked and some nice choons tothumbsup.gif

Onto the main event, quality all the way from all the protaganistshatsoff2.gif

Danced me fat ass off on what is an excellent but very unforgiving floor upstairs at Riley Smithsweatingbullets.gif

Plenty of loons and ne'r do wells from up and down the country as well, talking the usual tripe, love itthumbup.gif

Nice to see my good buddy Mr Bird, looking so well and sporting a healthy growth on't chinthumbsup.gif

Also got the benefit of Vicki's take on the offside rulerolleyes.gif Next time im asked to ref a game in a shopping

centre, i'll bear it in mindlaugh.gifwhistling.gif

Great day out

Big Thanx to Dale and Maz and my driver Deanothumbsup.gif

Best

Paul

Edited by BigPaul
Guest soul widow

we had a brilliant time from start to finish,

great music and good company,was lovely to walk 2 minutes to bed!!

im so glad kev h was back to his usual chatty self and i impressed big paul with the offside rule met some lovely people and had a great laugh

x

Dale,Maz & Emma

Another top night at Riley Smith's,everytime I go to the place it just blows me away.

Great to see so many faces I've not seen for awhile.Had a hoot catching up with Paul,Steve & Kev as it's been awhile since we've talked bollocks together,finally got to meet Dean another member of there gang & the one with the brain cell :hatsoff2:

Thought it took awhile to get going in the main room but once it did there looked to be plenty of happy faces dancing around.The small room looked busy everytime I was in there,think it's just about right for a second room.The only problem I had was not been able to split myself in two so I could be in both rooms at once,I just new I was missing some quality music which ever room I was in.I must say that I was fortunate enough to hear all of Joan's spot upstairs,outstanding doesn't do it justice.Caught most of John & Tony's set downstairs & that was quality all the way but which room or which dj I was listening to I thought was top notch :rolleyes:

So looking forward to October when we can do it all again.

Cheers

Martyn

Had a hoot catching up with Paul,Steve & Kev as it's been awhile since we've talked bollocks together,finally got to meet Dean another member of there gang & the one with the brain cell :rolleyes:

Cheers

Martyn

Just my turn for it this month Martyn, we share and pass most things around. My turn for the underpants next month.

Very good to meet you

Firstly can I say thanks to all involved for asking me to spin a few , It was an absolute pleasure . Then can I say to whom ever reads this thread and has never been to Taddie , ''Get there it is amazing , it is without doubt the best room bar none in the land , just check the website.'' Don't be mistaken in thinking it just the room that sets it above the rest .Its the cheap beer , no seriously the people who attend make it something special ....then there's the promoters.....nuff said :hatsoff2: . This month saw a host of top top jocks soinning there tunes , it did not matter what yout genre was , it was catered for. A big hello to all my friends new and old it was great meeting up.

The only thing that did let me down was Soulwidow not being able to out talk KevH for a second time 1-1 guys , whens the next round :rolleyes:

Great day/night in top company! Really enjoyed double decking with Dean (squire of Holymoorside) and Mak, top stuff boys :lol:

Brilliant music in the warm up and the Hardway - take a bow Kev(Groper):shhh: Great company as well :D

Big thanks to squire Dean for the transport and to Gout & Groper for the usual intellectual conversation during both journeys and at various points during the day huh.gif

Top stuff - well done Dale :yes:

An excellent afternoon and evening's entertainment, made even better by the bonus of Steve & Kev's CD :thumbsup: , and a free urological consultation from Trev Thomas (with a second opinion from Maria W) laugh.giflaugh.gif:wave:

Quality sounds in the upstairs room all night, and an excellent collection of nutters to play them to! The main room looked a little quiet at times (although there were always folks on the floor when I went in), which is a pity, as this beautiful hall really takes off with a few more bodies in. Remember folks, use it or lose it!

PS Shocked to arrive at the Social Club in the afternoon to find that the flock wallpaper had been stripped ohmy.gif - but by who? Rumour has it that they've never seen flock in Mansfield...........

Guest Dale

Well better late than never.....Many thanks to all that turned up at RSH hope ya all had i fantastic night....

Firstly big thanks to Kev H for putting together two great dj line ups 2nd to none imo, each played a part in making

this one a night to remember.

The warm up i think really paved the way for the rest of the day some fantastic music been played here with Steve L

and Dean opening up ..(dont that Forris Wood still sound nice),followed by Kev, Mac,Trev,Willie,Carl+Maria (who i missed again)

and then to find out the John Harris was played well pst off.....never mind the joys of running two separate venue's eh.

Numbers down a little think due to two events on 5 miles up the road over the weekend but think thats the norm now where ever you are,

but this certainly didnt deter from a great night.

First thro the doors the usual suspects Tosh and the gang with Alan showing off his new tattoo to Maz, Dale Dale here come and look at this,

only our 2nd Ann patch looks the bizz mate.

First up Trev Thomas playing some great stuff to open up with seems to have a real knack of getting the dancers up early doors well done Trev,

how was the head Sunday mate.

Next up Martyn Bird, a must for me to listen to always always something new for our main room from him he's certainly digging a bit

deeper into his collection thankyou Martyn look forward to the playlist.

Well didnt get much chance to listen to Sam but by what i was told he did a sterling job as only Sam can......was approached by Col Wood who had ran down stairs to inform me Steve Green was on and was about to play my request (I.j.Harris) so shot upstairs and two records later it was on waited a long time to hear this again, new years eve to be exact brilliant toon many thanks Steve and thanks for the bits of info regards this one.

Next up Andy Dyson just knew this was gonna be good certainly had his eye on the floor true pro but the best to come for me upstairs from Andy.

John and Tony up next started were Andy left off and did they keep it going classics and floorfillers.

Upstairs room was buzzin kept popping in and out most of the night but caught just a few records that were being played but the thing that stuck out for me was

the amount of people in there and all seemed to be having a good time.

Didnt hear the early spots at all by Steve L,Mac,or Kev H but i know it would have been exeptional having listened to them during the afternoon seesion.

Obviously caught some of Steve Green's spot with the I.j. Harris,that Touronados sounded very nice to Steve was it you that played that record on Tad ? .

Also caught some of Joans spot just great to have Joan over at RSH just for the passion and enthusiasim behind those decks and of course the great sets she's renowed for playing out,always remember one particular set at the orig.Middleton in C+M room uptempo for an hour i was knackered think i commented to Tony at the time Joan sure he will remember.....

Caught some of Sam and Andys spots but judging by the floor all was well in there,the atmospher was certainly up there with the best we've had in our Upstairs room and judging by the folk crowding round the decks some new sounds were been spun new to some peopls ears anyway.....me included

All i can say now is a very very big thankyou to all who made this event and to all who keep turning up and have become our regular crowd now

Just a special thanks to every Dj who did us proud during the whole day warm up,main hall,and upstairs its very much appreciated and i really hope we can do it all again soon

Special Special thanks to Kev H for his help in making this one, one i wont forget.....:sweatingbullets:

Dale,Maz and Emma

What a great day and night we had in Tadcaster,and really enjoyed spinning some tunes for ya's in the top room thumbsup.gif will defo try and get to the next one and Dale that tornadoes is good aint it,,,wink.gif,, and it was Andy who played the Notations on Tad top tuneage....thumbsup.gif

Guest Dale

What a great day and night we had in Tadcaster,and really enjoyed spinning some tunes for ya's in the top room thumbsup.gif will defo try and get to the next one and Dale that tornadoes is good aint it,,,wink.gif,, and it was Andy who played the Notations on Tad top tuneage....thumbsup.gif

Thanks Steve glad you both had a great day ....... Notations now logged for next time i see Andy....:hatsoff2:

Hi Dale

Sorry we couldn't stay for the night but we had a cracking afternoon with you and Maz and the monsters from Mansfield, they were on form.(Steve Kev thanks for the Cd) Carl and Maria were on FIRE as always and something to do with a resent trip to London probably. Speak to you soon

What can we say apart from we had a fantastic day from walking into the warm up spot to leaving afters Sams spot upstairs. The welcome we received from everyone was great.

Didn't hear a bad tune at all.

Many thanks to everyone involved with the day.

Only the posh houses in Mansfield have flock on the walls!

Steve & Pat

Well better late than never.....Many thanks to all that turned up at RSH hope ya all had i fantastic night....

Firstly big thanks to Kev H for putting together two great dj line ups 2nd to none imo, each played a part in making

this one a night to remember.

The warm up i think really paved the way for the rest of the day some fantastic music been played here with Steve L

and Dean opening up ..(dont that Forris Wood still sound nice),followed by Kev, Mac,Trev,Willie,Carl+Maria (who i missed again)

and then to find out the John Harris was played well pst off.....never mind the joys of running two separate venue's eh.

Numbers down a little think due to two events on 5 miles up the road over the weekend but think thats the norm now where ever you are,

but this certainly didnt deter from a great night.

First thro the doors the usual suspects Tosh and the gang with Alan showing off his new tattoo to Maz, Dale Dale here come and look at this,

only our 2nd Ann patch looks the bizz mate.

First up Trev Thomas playing some great stuff to open up with seems to have a real knack of getting the dancers up early doors well done Trev,

how was the head Sunday mate.

Next up Martyn Bird, a must for me to listen to always always something new for our main room from him he's certainly digging a bit

deeper into his collection thankyou Martyn look forward to the playlist.

Well didnt get much chance to listen to Sam but by what i was told he did a sterling job as only Sam can......was approached by Col Wood who had ran down stairs to inform me Steve Green was on and was about to play my request (I.j.Harris) so shot upstairs and two records later it was on waited a long time to hear this again, new years eve to be exact brilliant toon many thanks Steve and thanks for the bits of info regards this one.

Next up Andy Dyson just knew this was gonna be good certainly had his eye on the floor true pro but the best to come for me upstairs from Andy.

John and Tony up next started were Andy left off and did they keep it going classics and floorfillers.

Upstairs room was buzzin kept popping in and out most of the night but caught just a few records that were being played but the thing that stuck out for me was

the amount of people in there and all seemed to be having a good time.

Didnt hear the early spots at all by Steve L,Mac,or Kev H but i know it would have been exeptional having listened to them during the afternoon seesion.

Obviously caught some of Steve Green's spot with the I.j. Harris,that Touronados sounded very nice to Steve was it you that played that record on Tad ? .

Also caught some of Joans spot just great to have Joan over at RSH just for the passion and enthusiasim behind those decks and of course the great sets she's renowed for playing out,always remember one particular set at the orig.Middleton in C+M room uptempo for an hour i was knackered think i commented to Tony at the time Joan sure he will remember.....

Caught some of Sam and Andys spots but judging by the floor all was well in there,the atmospher was certainly up there with the best we've had in our Upstairs room and judging by the folk crowding round the decks some new sounds were been spun new to some peopls ears anyway.....me included

All i can say now is a very very big thankyou to all who made this event and to all who keep turning up and have become our regular crowd now

guests

Just a special thanks to every Dj who did us proud during the whole day warm up,main hall,and upstairs its very much appreciated and i really hope we can do it all again soon

Special Special thanks to Kev H for his help in making this one, one i wont forget.....:thumbsup:

Dale,Maz and Emma

Well done Dale , Maz & Em . 1st one we've missed , not helped by the texts we received in France rubbing it in ...:lol: .

Source Advert