Del Larks On Ebay

Pete S

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

Is this permitted under Ebay rules? Pete, your the paralegal around here, what's your view?

how can they enforce what they probably don,t know............besides which ignorance real or otherwise is a great defence

Social source share

Ebay won ' t be bothered - over past 12 months have reported fake Motown demo 45 s , counterfeit Top Of The World Stafford cdrs and numerous others - all these still on Ebay from same sellers ... complete waste of energy I don ' t bother now....

It's pretty hard to prove that they are bootlegs to ebay though. Most bootlegs that do get taken down are reported by the actual copyright holders via ebay's vero program.

Social source share

I thought there was a "real" boot with that label design ??

Mick you are thinking of the one Godzilla put up above.

Godzilla, that one came out well after the pale blue one. The pale blue ones were quite limited and sold for more than the usual pressings of the day, that blue and white one, well I don't think I ever saw that before 1978

Social source share

Mick you are thinking of the one Godzilla put up above.

Godzilla, that one came out well after the pale blue one. The pale blue ones were quite limited and sold for more than the usual pressings of the day, that blue and white one, well I don't think I ever saw that before 1978

I'm sure Kev Roberts posted on here a few years back that the light blue ones were legitimate re-issues they did around 1975

Social source share

And to think virtually all of the water-damaged originals came from Jim Wilson's market stall in Shoreditch in the early 1970's. My theory on this, is that that the original lot was bought by him under the misunderstanding that this was a doo-wop release due to the group's 50's sounding name. Following this, I spent the next 3 years having to tediously double-check every bloody dated-looking record or interesting group name on the basis that you can't leave any stone uncovered.......just in case.

Other examples of 50's era original 'old' groups or veteran early 60's artists coming up with killer Northern anthems at the end of their careers were records like the Modern Redcaps' "Never Too Young (To Fall In Love)", the Coasters' "Crazy Baby" and, the best of the lot, the Silhouettes "Not Me Baby" - a free 7" record given away with an album of their 50's hits.

Examples like those are the ONLY reason why I bought Lenny Curtis for 10p unheard from Bradford market. The End label was a vintage 50's label and waaaay too early for the kind of mid 60's uptempo sound that the North of England liked at the time. However the End record I picked up and carefully studied looked more like a mid 60's ZTSC styrene pressing with a cool label, great title, promising sounding artist and a Robert Bateman production, so, against all the odds, I invested 10p and added it to the other 9 records I'd pulled out. When I got home and played through 'em I eventually got to the Lenny Curtis record and heard it for the first time. Bingo. Dynamite! FINALLY a great one after 1000's of previous clunkers. Every serious collector must know that feeling........

I think the Del-Larks was a key record in making diggers look at records a bit more carefully and not necessarily pass on records that suggested a different era by either the group name or label. Also it took ages to break through. At the time it was a really different kind of record compared to the more obvious Detroit, Chicago, New York and L.A. records.

However, the look of the label, the mystique of the group and the brilliance of the recording eventually came through and the record finally became established.

Had it not been bought-in by Jim Wilson in the early 70's, who probably bought 'em as a job lot of assorted U.S. independent supposed doo-wop records, then we may never have found it.

It's always been rare as f*ck but what a record ay?

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Other examples of 50's era original 'old' groups or veteran early 60's artists coming up with killer Northern anthems at the end of their careers were records like the Modern Redcaps' "Never Too Young (To Fall In Love)", the Coasters' "Crazy Baby" and, the best of the lot, the Silhouettes "Not Me Baby" - a free 7" record given away with an album of their 50's hits.

Fiestas - Think smart

Edited by boba
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

been my all time favourite since first hearing it..........mind you there are a few i,ve heard funnily enough in the last 10 years that run a close second

Social source share

Daft thing is, if he had not stuck that dodgy badly photocopied label on he may have got a better price for it.

If its a sky blue 2nd issue/boot we`ve all seen them go for a lot more than £20

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert