Harringtons And Sexy Rexy Of Sheffield

Ey up Martin, haven't looked at this thread for a while. Yes, the E.I.T.B., I was there from Aug 31st '76 to the end of July '77. Must have brushed shoulders at some time. Perhaps didn't get on, you being a Blade and myself an Owl. :lol: I was just getting in to northern at this time and I remember a lad called Tony, tall lad with dark hair, 'tache, handsome lad, he was in to northern but can't remember his surname. Didn't do Kenny's until years later, Barry, KGB, KTF. :thumbsup:

Hope you are keeping well. :yes:

Was just after me Barry.

I was there in May to July.

Did you wear silver dockers? :P:lol:

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Was just after me Barry.

I was there in May to July.

Did you wear silver dockers? :P:lol:

No Martin sorry, I was just a poor lad from Malin Bridge. Couldn't afford them. :lol:

Social source share

In 1973 all our crowd who went to the nighters from Sheffield wore suede bomber jackets - not the posh brand new type ,

no..these were second hand American truck drivers ones. Absolutely brilliant they were - from MORTIMERS a fiver a piece.

Trouble was, I was soaking some BENZEDREX nose inhaler wicks in a little jar full of wine, in my wardrobe.(These stunk like f**k).

My jacket was in there too and afterwards it had a most peculiar odour to it - my mum thought so too and slung it!!

Got my Crombie from COLVINS on Waingate, Sheffield, 100 yards towards town from MORTIMERS.

My SKINNERS came from RAY ALAN's (before he met Lord Charles) on the Moor in 1972/3.

Happy Days Indeed

Social source share

I bought my first pair of dockers from mortimers and pair of leather lase`s from the small coblers shop on the opposite side of the road on lady`s bridge anybody remember that? about 1971/72, and remember colvins were the police station is know opposite castle market for Ben shermans sure 1st one cost me £1.25 Happy days

Terry

Social source share

I bought my first pair of dockers from mortimers and pair of leather lase`s from the small coblers shop on the opposite side of the road on lady`s bridge anybody remember that? about 1971/72, and remember colvins were the police station is know opposite castle market for Ben shermans sure 1st one cost me £1.25 Happy days

Terry

Yep I remember that little cobblers shop very well - when I was at school, we all had leather wrist bands (about 4" wide with buckles) made (why?) - thought they looked hip with mi crombie & loafers(or my silver Martens)

Social source share

Yep I remember that little cobblers shop very well - when I was at school, we all had leather wrist bands (about 4" wide with buckles) made (why?) - thought they looked hip with mi crombie & loafers(or my silver Martens)

I remember the wrist bands with buckles on them, they then started coming with watches fitted to them.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the Martens spraying, long time ago now but think it was Silver for Wednesday and Gold for United

About the same time as the trend for wearing a football scarf around you wrist.

Martin

Seen that book Barry, Wellers standing next to the Scottish guy that ran Revolution, cant remember his name now but remember all of the hand written lists on the wall and spending hours going through them.

He had lots of US imports, didnt know at the time but a lot of them were boots.

I bought Bobby Paris Night Owl for 2 quid thinking it was an original Cameo demo copy, only to find out years later that it was a boot.

Only earned 13 quid a week at Dunford Hadfields. :(

Martin

The guy that owned the shop was called pete and his partner was called sue, he had worked for loads of record companys before he opened Revolution Records so he had a lot of contacts in the record business! he had a passion for the Austin Healey 'Frogeye' Sprite he had about three or four of them! now you know where youre £2 went,I think he is dead now, but sue has a pub somewhere!and a records you would give youre right arm for!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soul tim e

Early-Mid 80;s ....classic soul/mod revival time. BEN SHERMAN bought from cole brothers quite a few different colours to choose from . Complete with full pleat , three button .(nice cottons). PULSE (opposite the city hall) for boating blazers / dogtooth trousers..For the shoes of the time.RIBENA (there was a similar stall in the market at one time.)

Social source share

Early-Mid 80;s ....classic soul/mod revival time. BEN SHERMAN bought from cole brothers quite a few different colours to choose from . Complete with full pleat , three button .(nice cottons). PULSE (opposite the city hall) for boating blazers / dogtooth trousers..For the shoes of the time.RIBENA (there was a similar stall in the market at one time.)

Ex wife worked at REBINA, both at their shop and stall in Castle Market, used to get my PODS (this was after I stopped going to nighters, about 1980) at 50% discount and their sample suede brogues buck shee!!

Social source share

Remember SEXY REXY having a big sign at Millmoor Football Ground. Think it was at the Railway end in the right hand corner.

Of course, I had no idea what it was at the time!

Ed

They probably did , Paul Rex was the in shop at the time in Rotherham for great clothes, can,t even get a branded pair of jeans now , how times change.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Rotherham 69/70 - half my £8 weekly wage went in Rex's the other half in Sound of Music!!!

How did I pay board/get to work/get to Charade - don't be bloody nosey LOL

Social source share

What about BATA's, being a Sheff thread, we used to come up from Derby to buy BATA shoes, be around 71, remember, a bit like loafers with laces.

Shelly

Yep, Batas were definately the business, no self respectin' little skin , like me, would be seen without em.

My old mate Russell Davy was the first person I saw wearing them at our school , Rowlinson Tech, here in Sheff, he was 3 years older than me and always looked as cool as f**k, so I had to get some.Only problem was the soles fell off after a few months!

Aint no soul....

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest makstax

There was a shop for clobber down I think Chapel Walk but can't remember the name. There was a record shop down there too, I've load of records up stairs from there, some of me dads too, all the old style brown card with coloured edging.

The clothes shop down Chapel Walk was Harry Fentons and Philip Cann was the record shop. Bought my Stateside copy of Open The Door To Your Heart there as a new release. Speedy.
Social source share

Guest madmarx

Circa 73-4 I seem to remember Sheffield lads spray painting your doc marts either silver or gold??

Was it a football thing????

Spike

Wasn't from Sheffield ( followed Leeds ) but remember having silver air ware in about 1973, about the time of 'the clockwork' , bib and brace overalls etc. Not a convenient get up when you needed a slash at the match though :no:

Edited by madmarx
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris can`t picture what Batas look like.

Yep, Batas were definately the business, no self respectin' little skin , like me, would be seen without em.

My old mate Russell Davy was the first person I saw wearing them at our school , Rowlinson Tech, here in Sheff, he was 3 years older than me and always looked as cool as f**k, so I had to get some.Only problem was the soles fell off after a few months!

Aint no soul....

Social source share

Remember them both very well did not buy much from Harringtons but bought loads of Shermans and Brutus shirts from Paul Rex aka Sexy Rexy also bought amongst other things from there a leather trench coat .What was the name of the shop that sold work wear and camping gear next to the pub The Brewer On The Bridge , bought my first pair of Doc Martens and a Harrington jacket from there with one of my first wages as a fifteen year old . There was also a Paul Rex in my home town of Rotherham also in Rotherham was a shop called Kendrick Fieldsend which sold an amazing selection of Ben Shermans shirts which came in presentation boxes at that time . Also bought a two tone suit from Kendrick Fieldsend which i still remember with great fondness ,great clothes and great times , then you look at most of the youth today arses hanging out of there jeans with underpants showing hands down there pants feeling theire privates.

Was there a Famous Army Stores somewhere else that did similar stuff?

Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

Was there a Famous Army Stores somewhere else that did similar stuff?

If your on about Rotherham the Wakefield Famous Army Stores was next to Kendrick Fieldsend and they sold Levis, Martens plus obviously surplus army gear, as for Sheffield i think there was quite a few one as i remember was on the Wicker or there abouts. Just remembered another Wakefield Army stores in Rotherham that one was across from Woolworths think it's a phone shop now.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

Bunnies in Rotherham was another shop that was not bad for buying Shermans and Levis etc bit pricy though that was situated in the Imperial Buildings. You could also pick up a few things at the sports shop Danny Williams remember getting a Slazenger jumper from there .

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Mr six togs sorsbry street don't know who owned it but it was "managed " by a guy called johnny Moore from grangewood he's about 5 years older than me old skinhead mod soul boy

Proper character one of arthur dudlys mates

That shop with the spiral staircase did it sell more today than yesterday??

;)

Mr Six Togs was owned by the late Jack Hickinbotham who's main shop was in Ilkeston, he had a shop in Eastwood too , both the Eastwood and Ilkeston shops were just called "J.A. Hickinbothams".

He also owned a clothes factory at the top of Bath Street in Ilkeston that made trousers and suits etc that went under the brand name of "John Anthony International". Don't know if he did the same in Chesterfield but in the other 2 shops he ran a credit scheme where you had a card and would pay 50p or £1 every week , and if you missed a couple of weeks Jack would come round to see you..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='spike1' timestamp='1314698274' post='1628994'

Think there's a secondhand shop & a tailors down chapel walk now chalky

there was a shop called stone-dri on Chesterfield high street got a beige gabberdene full length mac from there in 1976 went to my first nighter at sammys in it

What a twat I looked!! Cos my two mates also had the same coat looked like the three stooges!!!

Happy day

quote name='spike1' timestamp='1314698274' post='1628994'

Think there's a secondhand shop & a tailors down chapel walk now chalky

there was a shop called stone-dri on Chesterfield high street got a beige gabberdene full length mac from there in 1976 went to my first nighter at sammys in it

What a twat I looked!! Cos my two mates also had the same coat looked like the three stooges!!!

Happy days

was STONE - DRI a chain of stores, coz we had one in carlisle 1972, first denim jacket and a cool red shirt with really long pointed collar on it (still got it today) we also had ARRIVAL. if memory serves isnt HARRINGTON the name of the guy, paul harrington, who wore it on telly and not the actual name of the windcheater! i remember guys in skinners, cool looking baggy jeans worn above docs. some guys later had tartan up the side seam and leather patches on the knees. pre BCR although i do remember skinheads dancing to "keep on dancing"..........

Social source share

Remember them well but Sexy Rexy's was a little 'Down Market' for us, we used to shop at Image, on a side road just off the top of The Moor. Shopped mainly in Notts in the early 70's, an unknown Taylor making bespoke clothing by the name of Smith, Paul I beleive, before he became too famous !! My Sister worked at Burtons in Rotherham and had the Taylors there make us stuff.

Edited by Tezza
Social source share

Sexy's used to have some very good bowling shirts ..famous army stores used to carry a line of wide fitting leather soled shoes in brown and black for nothing a yard they all so did a nice line in canvas holdalls tons better than puma gola bags

Edited by Naughty Boy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!