Recorded Delivery Insurance - Is This Right?

Mace

Was told something at the Post Office today, not sure how true this is, but the counter staff insisted it was correct.

Recorded delivery only covers up to something like £46 (as we know).

However, if you post an item worth, say £50, and it get's lost, the PO won't pay you anything, not even the first £46 because you willingly posted it without insuring it to the full value...so basically, you get nowt !

I never knew this, I thought you'd get a partial refund of £46 of the full value...but no, apparently not a penny!

So if you ever send anything recorded and it gets lost, you have to prove it was worth/cost £46 or less to get any compensation.

Anyone know if this is correct?

Regards

Mace

Edited by Mace
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was told something at the Post Office today, not sure how true this is, but the counter staff insisted it was correct.

However, if you post an item worth, say £50, and it get's lost, the PO won't pay you anything, not even the first £46 because you willingly posted it without insuring it to the full value...so basically, you get nowt !

I never knew this, I thought you'd get a partial refund of £46 of the full value...but no, apparently not a penny!

So if you ever send anything recorded and it gets lost, you have to prove it was worth/cost £46 or less to get any compensation.

Regards

Mace

Like any insurance Mace they are all shit when you actually need to claim on them.

Social source share

I never knew this (i worked on post office counter, admitedly quite a few years ago) but always thought that you would get the up to the insurance value (if you could prove value) , although i personally alway suggested people use registered mail as it had a higher insurance value (worth the extra money if things do go wrong).

Social source share

Like any insurance Mace they are all shit when you actually need to claim on them.

I know mate, but this never sounds right to me.

Whilst I'm moaning about the Post Office....here's another one.

I recently received an incorrect grill element from a supplier that I needed to fit in a customers oven.

It arrived on a saturday morning and as I had to go the Post Office later that morning I decided to return it same day.

I arrived at the Post Office at 11.45am to be told the last post had gone @ 11.30am, so it wouldn't leave the PO till Monday morning.....no worries, so I posted it recorded delivery.

First thing Monday I get a callout for another grill element, and sods law, it's only the same type as the one that I had returned.

As it was only 9.30am I thought it may still be in the Post Office, so I go up there, and yes, there it is, sat on the pile to be collected midday.

However, the counter staff tell me they can't give it to me....even though I had the receipt in my hand and the girl who served me on saturday morning was sat on the other side of the glass holding it in her hand.

I wasn't after a refund on the postage either....just wanted the element back so I could finish this second oven straight away.

To be fair, it wasn't her fault, and she was very apologetic, and told me to ring Royal Mail to see if they could give her permission....which I did, and they wouldn't...saying post could only be returned if the police were involved for any criminal act.

So it had to go through the system and I had to re-order another element if I wanted it for the next day.

Quality or what!

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I recently received an incorrect grill element from a supplier that I needed to fit in a customers oven.

It arrived on a saturday morning and as I had to go the Post Office later that morning I decided to return it same day.

I arrived at the Post Office at 11.45am to be told the last post had gone @ 11.30am, so it wouldn't leave the PO till Monday morning.....no worries, so I posted it recorded delivery.

First thing Monday I get a callout for another grill element, and sods law, it's only the same type as the one that I had returned.

As it was only 9.30am I thought it may still be in the Post Office, so I go up there, and yes, there it is, sat on the pile to be collected midday.

However, the counter staff tell me they can't give it to me....even though I had the receipt in my hand and the girl who served me on saturday morning was sat on the other side of the glass holding it in her hand.

I wasn't after a refund on the postage either....just wanted the element back so I could finish this second oven straight away.

To be fair, it wasn't her fault, and she was very apologetic, and told me to ring Royal Mail to see if they could give her permission....which I did, and they wouldn't...saying post could only be returned if the police were involved for any criminal act.

So it had to go through the system and I had to re-order another element if I wanted it for the next day.

Quality or what!

the post office is crap ,the staff /unions are playing games because they are now having to work for a living no home early doing seconds jobs any more , they need a kick up the back side, I have records turning up on my doorstep one by postie on foot same time a postie delivers by van 2 men doing one job ,over staffed ,they need more competion!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Regards

Mace

The post office continually whittle away at what they will cover, essentially because they know they are totally unable to deliver normal post within the same country. Where's that w*nker smiley?

Proof of postage used to cover up to £30, recorded should cover up to £40 but they have been insisting that this cover is now only for the cost to the sender if it is the sender who is claiming and you have to provide proof of value. So if you buy something for a tenner and sell it for twenty they will only reimburse you for the tenner.

The best thing to do if something gets stolen lost in the post is to get the buyer to claim as they can prove the correct value as they have paid for the item.

I think it has moved recently as last time I sent something recorded the guy in the PO was at pains to point out that I was "paying for a signature - things still get lost in the post".

The postal service in this country is an absolute joke.

Social source share

Quality or what!

Thing is Mace it may not have been yours, the PO don't know. What if that was a record you had ordered and paid for and then the seller changed his mind as he'd sold it too cheap and went and got it back...

I think for normal post like letter the postal service is fantastic. So there.

Social source share

Thing is Mace it may not have been yours, the PO don't know. What if that was a record you had ordered and paid for and then the seller changed his mind as he'd sold it too cheap and went and got it back...

like a lot of government or ex government entities they now have to live in the same world as us and don't like it

gold plated pensions and the like being revued for a lot of em ,they will get no support from me if they strike.

Social source share

Well they did know it was mine, cus the same girl served me both times and I had the receipt in my hand.

Plus I would have willingly signed for it, to prove I'd reclaimed it (it was recorded as I stated).

So stop talking out your arse you shandy drinking Beggsy-wannabe :lol:

Social source share

the post office is crap ,the staff /unions are playing games because they are now having to work for a living no home early doing seconds jobs any more , they need a kick up the back side, I have records turning up on my doorstep one by postie on foot same time a postie delivers by van 2 men doing one job ,over staffed ,they need more competion!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the recorded insurance or special delivery insurance is an issue for royal mail not the post office.

and to the original question yes it believe this is true if you under insure you get nothing better to declare the value as the max the servcie you choose provides.

Social source share

can you tell me where there are 2 men doing one job so i can aplly for it.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

like a lot of government or ex government entities they now have to live in the same world as us and don't like it

gold plated pensions and the like being revued for a lot of em ,they will get no support from me if they strike.

Bit of an ill informed statement, what Gold plated pensions exist in Royal Mail, Oh that will be the one for senior Managers, certainly not the frontline staff, we don't have a final salary scheme anymore, was replaced 3 years ago

Can you please let us know of the revue you are refering to and what possible strike action? be very interested to know

If as i think, you are confusing us will public sector workers, Royal Mail is a PLC who has a Universal Service Obligation.

we are Private sector workers, stopped be civil servants back in the 60's

Royal Mail receives no state subsidy.

The monopoly was broken some 6 years, if Royal Mail is so bad why don't people use one of the many other companies that are open to provide the same services as we do.

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

Bit of an ill informed statement, what Gold plated pensions exist in Royal Mail, Oh that will be the one for senior Managers, certainly not the frontline staff, we don't have a final salary scheme anymore, was replaced 3 years ago

Can you please let us know of the revue you are refering to and what possible strike action? be very interested to know

If as i think, you are confusing us will public sector workers, Royal Mail is a PLC who has a Universal Service Obligation.

we are Private sector workers, stopped be civil servants back in the 60's

Royal Mail receives no state subsidy.

The monopoly was broken some 6 years, if Royal Mail is so bad why don't people use one of the many other companies that are open to provide the same services as we do.

Jules, putting all the other business to one side, can you confirm if the content of my original post is correct?

It seems it may be so by some other posts on here, but you obviously know all the ins and outs of RM, so should imagine you could put me straight on the claim restrictions of recorded delivery compensation ?

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Jules, putting all the other business to one side, can you confirm if the content of my original post is correct?

It seems it may be so by some other posts on here, but you obviously know all the ins and outs of RM, so should imagine you could put me straight on the claim restrictions of recorded delivery compensation ?

Regards

Mace

Don't take this as gospel, but it's my understanding that recorded delivery is insured up to the value of a first class stamp x 100, so currently £46.

before the advent of ebay they paid claims with no problems, clearly the amount of claims has gone up 10 fold.since, hence them now asking for proof of purchase value.

You can't pay an additional insurance fee for recorded delivery, only for special delivery, basic insurance is £500, but you can insure up to £10,000. but this is a totally different service to recorded

Can i ask what type of PO you got this information from?

Sub PO's sell Royal Mail services on commission, i've seen it many times before where they push special delivery above recorded due to the higher cost.

https://www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/lost-item-compensation/lost-items#72800818

these are the only details i can find online, and it's still pretty unclear.

Social source share

Don't take this as gospel, but it's my understanding that recorded delivery is insured up to the value of a first class stamp x 100, so currently £46.

before the advent of ebay they paid claims with no problems, clearly the amount of claims has gone up 10 fold.since, hence them now asking for proof of purchase value.

You can't pay an additional insurance fee for recorded delivery, only for special delivery, basic insurance is £500, but you can insure up to £10,000. but this is a totally different service to recorded

Can i ask what type of PO you got this information from?

Sub PO's sell Royal Mail services on commission, i've seen it many times before where they push special delivery above recorded due to the higher cost.

https://www2.royalmai...-items#72800818

these are the only details i can find online, and it's still pretty unclear.

It was the PO in Alsager, Staffordshire, which I presume is not a sub PO?

I'm aware that max payout of recorded is 100 x first class (£46) as you mention, but have often sent £50 - £60 items via recorded as I thought any loss would pay me back a max of £46.

I will add that I've had very few probs with my post, both sending and receiving, and on the whole quite happy with the service RM provide (though we did have a dodgy Postman hoarding thousands of letters and packages a few years back......only found out when a van pulled up with 3 bin bags over mail for me spanning about 4 years...bizarrely I never lost a record during all this time. The guy wasn't opening mail or thieving....just hoarding mail, mostly junk, he couldn't be arsed to deliver....thinking about it he was probably doing me a favour LOL)

However, I've got to admit I would probably consider paying for Special Delivery for any items valued above £46 in future, just in case....so this particular, and still rather unclear restriction, has ensured I'll overinsure, and thus overpay for SD, which is, in essence a similar service.

If this claim restriction is correct, you'd think that RM would at least offer extended insurance for recorded as they do for special (ie £1 extra cost for £150 worth of cover etc).

Regards

Mace

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Special delivery is definately the best, RM's flagship product . Tracked at entry point and every handover point to the front door,

Recorded delivery relies on the postman gaining a signature on delivery, the only other record is the point of entry, it is handled in the same way as first and second class mail.

Don't get me wrong, customers pay for a recorded service and should get it, it just doesn't always happen, i've had to represent enough people pulled for not getting signatures, however the defence is "didn't see it in the bundle of mail" very hard for managers to take action for something that can appear to be a genuine human error.

if i send something recorded i try to make sure it won't fit through a letterbox.

It's funny, but there is actually three companies established that tout for buisness of high volume mailers, basically they get all tracked information from them, make every claim they can for failures and get 20% the amounts they claim back. hence them now using the term "Actual Loss"

My understanding is that if you insure something up to a value of, then if it loss or damaged then you can claim up to that value, though insurers do have clauses.

Mace i'd speak to customer services to get clarification, even better, write, as you will get a written response. huge difference in price between RD and SD

Anyway how you doing mace, well i hope, see Brian Hall every now and then, see his band back in August, very good at what they do.

take care mate

jules

Social source share

Mace i'd speak to customer services to get clarification, even better, write, as you will get a written response. huge difference in price between RD and SD

Anyway how you doing mace, well i hope, see Brian Hall every now and then, see his band back in August, very good at what they do.

take care mate

jules

Hi Jules, might be worth sending them an email to confirm......will post up any response on here.

Last time I saw Brian Hall was at Warrens Boogaloosoul night, don't see him very often at all.

Never seen or heard his band play unfortunately.

Next time you see him ask him about the night in London that we rigged the wiring on his Lambretta so we could get a free lift home with the RAC.....and the ensuing 'fight' we had on a petrol station forecourt over a mars bar! :D

My old man once asked us if we were a pair of poofs cus we used to take ages doing our hair before going out to some mod event :lol:

He's a great guy, very funny, with pretty much the same sense of humour as me :thumbsup:

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert