Ernie Johnson - Big Man Cry

Guest gibber

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

SEEMS 2 B 40QUID AT THE MO.GLAD I GOT MINE 4 5QUID OFF TED MASSEY 5YEAR BACK. whistling.gif

Where is the demand coming from for this track? I've sold three in the last 12 months £25, then £30. then £35 seems like no one wants to haggle and what ever I put in the sales box at it goes for. Just like the Kelly Brothers Crying Days are Over - always goes straight away. I know they are both great cheapies (though cheap is becoming a relative term) but who is playing them to create such a buzz about records that have been know for years?

Social source share

Where is the demand coming from for this track? I've sold three in the last 12 months £25, then £30. then £35 seems like no one wants to haggle and what ever I put in the sales box at it goes for. Just like the Kelly Brothers Crying Days are Over - always goes straight away. I know they are both great cheapies (though cheap is becoming a relative term) but who is playing them to create such a buzz about records that have been know for years?

Hi Ged,

I played this track a few times at the Greatstone (Ernie Johnson), must be five years ago, nice tune, went down quite well, but thats about all, forgot all about it. Then I heard it again earlier this year on the excellent Orwell freebie CD, it sounded really nice!!,I have also heard it played out at the Orwell a couple of times, and it had great dance flooor reaction. So I would guess thats where the re-newed interest has come from, for this particular record anyway. Venues like yours, the G.S. & S.O. N. that have no problem playing some of the cheaper sides, back to back with more pricey records, will I feel inevitably re-invent some of the forgotten 'sales box fillers'.....Tony

Edited by Tony Jackson
Social source share

Hi Ged,

I played this track a few times at the Greatstone (Ernie Johnson), must be five years ago, nice tune, went down quite well, but thats about all, forgot all about it. Then I heard it again earlier this year on the excellent Orwell freebie CD, it sounded really nice!!,I have also heard it played out at the Orwell a couple of times, and it had great dance flooor reaction. So I would guess thats where the re-newed interest has come from, for this particular record anyway. Venues like yours, the G.S. & S.O. N. that have no problem playing some of the cheaper sides, back to back with more pricey records, will I feel inevitably re-invent some of the forgotten 'sales box fillers'.....Tony

That's the answer Tony the Orwell CD didn't know it was on there. I put it on a CD for Steve Cato about 12 months ago, having rediscovered a number of copies of it lurking in a dark corner of the record room. I've had them since Flanny was playing it at the Saints club. I may even spin it at S.O.N. on 26th. Funny how us purists feel about CD's when used at venues but they really do have a real place in opening up forgotten sounds to new audiences.

Ged

Social source share

That's the answer Tony the Orwell CD didn't know it was on there. I put it on a CD for Steve Cato about 12 months ago, having rediscovered a number of copies of it lurking in a dark corner of the record room. I've had them since Flanny was playing it at the Saints club. I may even spin it at S.O.N. on 26th. Funny how us purists feel about CD's when used at venues but they really do have a real place in opening up forgotten sounds to new audiences.

Ged

Funnily enough Ged, I was thinking about playing a few Seventies bits & pieces, at Rich & Regs do at SON, prior to the SON evening event, on the 26th ( this included ), sad men we are!! that we are thinking about sets weeks in advance!!,got to be more in life???? .....naw not really.....Tony

Edited by Tony Jackson
Social source share

Funnily enough Ged, I was thinking about playing a few Seventies bits & pieces, at Rich & Regs do at SON, prior to the SON evening event, on the 26th ( this included ), sad men we are!! that we are thinking about sets weeks in adavance!!,got to be more in life???? .....naw not really.....Tony

Well I'm supposed to be writing a keynote speach for delivery at the Institute of Licensing annual conference in York on Monday. So thinking about records is way way more interesting. Still I could look a bit of an idiot in front of 450 people reciting a playlist if I'm not careful. whistling.gif .

Social source share

Well I'm supposed to be writing a keynote speach for delivery at the Institute of Licensing annual conference in York on Monday. So thinking about records is way way more interesting. Still I could look a bit of an idiot in front of 450 people reciting a playlist if I'm not careful. whistling.gif .

:thumbsup:beer.gif:yes:..Talking of work better go and do some...have good one Saturday, speak to you soon....Tony

Edited by Tony Jackson
Social source share

Hi Ged,

Nice one Tony unsure.gif

You're right about GS, SON & The Big O (sorry, couldn't resist that one!)...................all love to play older known/semi-known cheaper sides along with the rarities!

btw Ernie was originally played at Thorne in the late 80's but has been coming up on the rails over the last few years. I've done a little piece for the December edition of 'On The Scene' about 45's such as this and in actual fact Ernie is amongst the 45's mentioned!

Take care and have a good on Saturday!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Funnily enough Ged, I was thinking about playing a few Seventies bits & pieces, at Rich & Regs do at SON, prior to the SON evening event, on the 26th ( this included ), sad men we are!! that we are thinking about sets weeks in adavance!!,got to be more in life???? .....naw not really.....Tony

you will have to play some 70's for reg she likes the disco stuff :huh:

mark

Social source share

btw Ernie was originally played at Thorne in the late 80's but has been coming up on the rails over the last few years. I've done a little piece for the December edition of 'On The Scene' about 45's such as this and in actual fact Ernie is amongst the 45's mentioned!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to be pedantic but Arthur used to play Ernie Johnson circa '81/'82 That's a fact!

Cheers!

Social source share

Never took any notice of it in the past ,( danced to anything that sounded good thumbsup.gif ) but after digging out a cd ( out of the blue records 001 ) and playing it in the car . wow this is good and as a part time warm up dj ,, thinking, must get this on a origanal and play it out loud .

Getting the room tapping their feet including oldie fans ( you never know thumbsup.gif ) while getting the beers in.

cheers and thanks for the info

gibber

Social source share

Yep an 82 must purchase from the Bowl thumbsup.gif

love the Start ..Uuuuurrghhh

Simon

Simon/Robin

My apologies, just re-read my posting and it is incorrect!

I meant to say, it was extremely popular at Thorne in the late 80's rather than first played. You're right as i think i bought a copy meself in the early 80's from SB!

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Simon/Robin

My apologies, just re-read my posting and it is incorrect!

I meant to say, it was extremely popular at Thorne in the late 80's rather than first played. You're right as i think i bought a copy meself in the early 80's from SB!

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

Steve

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert