Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

• Replies 131
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Anybody mention Paul Thompson "Special kind of woman"?

Hi Rich, they have now mate :D

Also, totally forgot about the Darrell Banks sides and the "Here To Stay"LP :facepalm:

Volt 4014 - Just Because Your Love Is Gone / I'm The One Who Loves You - 1969

Volt 4026 - Beautiful Feelings / No One Blinder (Than A Man Who Won't See) - 1969

Volt 6002 - Here To Stay - 1969

Tracks: Just Because Your Love Is Gone / Forgive Me / Only The Strong Survive / Don't Know What To Do / When A Man Loves A Woman / We'll Get Over / Beautiful Feeling / I Could Never Hate Her / Never Alone / No One Blinder (Than A Man Who Won't See) / My Love Is Reserved

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

There's also this We-produce double sider that commands a high price, the amount of money not being worth the sum of its melody.

Much overrated in my humble:

Ernie Hines Our Generation and What would I do -We Produce XPA-1809

The people paying a high price aren't northern soul DJs. The song has a classic hiphop sample (pete rock and cl smooth) and is a great danceable funk record. John Legend and the Roots recently covered the song. That should be pretty big evidence that the actual music has a very wide appeal, wider than even soul / funk fans. I think it was used in a jeans commercial. It might not be your sound but I don't think that it's a northern soul cut. The sound makes a lot of sense to younger DJs.

Also, the We Produce stock copy is also extremely rare, I had a copy before it was "discovered" and it definitely wasn't something that was around before that then dried up.

Social source share

The people paying a high price aren't northern soul DJs. The song has a classic hiphop sample (pete rock and cl smooth) and is a great danceable funk record. John Legend and the Roots recently covered the song. That should be pretty big evidence that the actual music has a very wide appeal, wider than even soul / funk fans. I think it was used in a jeans commercial. It might not be your sound but I don't think that it's a northern soul cut. The sound makes a lot of sense to younger DJs.

Also, the We Produce stock copy is also extremely rare, I had a copy before it was "discovered" and it definitely wasn't something that was around before that then dried up.

Although I was aware of the John Legend cover , I hadn't given much thought to which audience it appealed.

Thanks for the info - these forums continue my soul education.

Social source share

Although I was aware of the John Legend cover , I hadn't given much thought to which audience it appealed.

Thanks for the info - these forums continue my soul education.

There is a very specific sound that appeals to many collectors my age and younger, There is some overlap with some northern records but the sound is informed by hiphop ... people like dark and psychedelic sounding tracks, people like tracks with hard drums that are not the same beat as the traditional motown beat, etc. I can see why a lot of people who like traditional northern dislike "funky northern" but it's a sound that probably is pulling in a lot of new people into the scene.

The Ernie Hines cut has exactly the right sound and it is very rare on a 45. Also, Ernie is a super nice, soft-spoken guy. He's one of the writers on the first Lovelites 45 on Bandera. Also, he randomly wrote me a recommendation on LinkedIn which was really weird...

Social source share

There is a very specific sound that appeals to many collectors my age and younger, There is some overlap with some northern records but the sound is informed by hiphop ... people like dark and psychedelic sounding tracks, people like tracks with hard drums that are not the same beat as the traditional motown beat, etc. I can see why a lot of people who like traditional northern dislike "funky northern" but it's a sound that probably is pulling in a lot of new people into the scene.

The Ernie Hines cut has exactly the right sound and it is very rare on a 45. Also, Ernie is a super nice, soft-spoken guy. He's one of the writers on the first Lovelites 45 on Bandera. Also, he randomly wrote me a recommendation on LinkedIn which was really weird...

Very interesting, but I would like to add that the "northern soul" tag doesn't really apply to me.

I have followed soul music before it was broken into genres.

I've always thought that the 70's brought about a huge change in the quality of recorded music,

thankfully many of these recordings are finding a new audience.

Whilst respect is due to those who favour it; hip hop holds no interest for me.

You will call me old fashioned I know, but generally I find swearing and foul language both

in music and in public utterly distasteful.

I have always been happy however that others see both quality and value, in tunes that don't appeal to me.

Thanks to Soulsource, I learn something new everyday.

I have no choice - Black Nasty does appeal :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbRZGhzMFQ

Social source share

I'm not sure how to respond to your post (especially stuff about cussing). Do you not like the ernie hines track? Here it is to remind you. If you don't like it, what specifically don't you like? It has all the ingredients of a good soul track to me, an excellent groove (the guitar riff and drums) that's hard not to move to, socially conscious lyrics, a soulful southern sounding vocal, etc. He can't hit some of the high notes but it doesn't take much away from the song. Expensive or not it does seem relevant and appealing to a large group of people, who don't even like soul.

you said you like all kinds of soul. Do you like Ernie Hines' hit record, which is backed by the Temprees? It's a killer midtempo sweet soul ballad:

Social source share

I'm not sure how to respond to your post (especially stuff about cussing). Do you not like the ernie hines track? Here it is to remind you. If you don't like it, what specifically don't you like? It has all the ingredients of a good soul track to me, an excellent groove (the guitar riff and drums) that's hard not to move to, socially conscious lyrics, a soulful southern sounding vocal, etc. He can't hit some of the high notes but it doesn't take much away from the song. Expensive or not it does seem relevant and appealing to a large group of people, who don't even like soul.

you said you like all kinds of soul. Do you like Ernie Hines' hit record, which is backed by the Temprees? It's a killer midtempo sweet soul ballad:

Hey, I don't how we came down this road, all I said was that I felt "generation" was overvalued for the content.

The reason why I wanted this thread to work, was so that I could pick up on a few new (to me) tunes

and the response has been great.

My interest in the Stax/Volt group has been revived by my rediscovery of Kent's catalogue.

I particularly love the "let's crossover again" and "nobody wins" CD's..

Electrified love is a fabulous track, no question.

As for the cussin' the hip hop genre is littered with expletives, which is not my cuppa tea I'm afraid.

I hope that we're basically on the same page.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond Boba!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There nothing novelty about the other side. I'll Show You is a fantastic record and IMO one of the best releases not only for William Bell, but for Stax too.

Hey John

I quite agree, William Bell's repertoire is tops .

You must admit that "Monkeying" has a certain charm though.

Best

Mick

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Mick , the only reason I thought it was South African was after I looked through the rest of the listings as a lot seemed to be SA,

it has nothing to do with my knowledge mate as I only buy USA stuff :wink: .

Also agree with what you say about the Temprees , done some cracking stuff mate and cheap.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great stuff keep 'em coming:

This is a great R'nB number that was picked up and released on Volt:

Prince Conley:

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a strange way of referring to what actually happened. Satellite Records wad the first name for Stax Records. The name changeover occurred before Volt Records was started up. So, the Volt issue was merely a re-issue of the Satellite issue, on a different label of the Satellite/Stax/Volt/Enterprise/etc. family of labels.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!