Gems - I'll Be There On Tru-Glow -Town, Could This Record Label Really Be The Original!?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

It has got me puzzled this, The Gems - I'll Be There on Tru-Glow -Town, could this record label really be the original? Why repro it on Tru-Glo-Town as well as the Riverside repro?

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Here it is, It's a BOOT and I bought it as a BOOT. (Has quite a WIDE Deadwax)

TRU-GLO-TOWN_TGT-7005-A_.gif

TRU-GLO-TOWN_TGT-7005-B_.gif

Gotta admit that when I bought it, similar thoughts crossed my mind as to the Original.

I've Since bought it on Riverside Stock Copy, White DEMO & The Counterfeit White DEMO.

Still remember the thrill of playing it at home on that TRU-GLO-TOWN BOOT way back in the 70s following a trip to Nottingham.

Riverside_4590-a-1.gif

Social source share

There should be NO DOUBT that that is a bootleg. Tru-Glo-Town never used that colour, nor that label design, nor that font. Also, we have no way of knowing whether or not it would have been released on Tru-Glo-Town, Toot-Town or TNT Records. All we know is that it was produced by Jesse Herring, Jr. and was a Tru-Glo_town production. It was likely just leased directly to Riverside Records (ostensibly because they thought the latter's ABC Records' national distribution would get the record a lot more exposure than they could do on their own). And it DID get sent to distributors and record shops all over USA. I saw it quite a bit in several different cities in different regions.

Social source share

There should be NO DOUBT that that is a bootleg. Tru-Glo-Town never used that colour, nor that label design, nor that font. Also, we have no way of knowing whether or not it would have been released on Tru-Glo-Town, Toot-Town or TNT Records. All we know is that it was produced by Jesse Herring, Jr. and was a Tru-Glo_town production. It was likely just leased directly to Riverside Records (ostensibly because they thought the latter's ABC Records' national distribution would get the record a lot more exposure than they could do on their own). And it DID get sent to distributors and record shops all over USA. I saw it quite a bit in several different cities in different regions.

tru glo town did lease stuff to other labels. that joseph moore on mar-v-lus is an example (same dude as joe moore on tru-glo-town).

Social source share

tru glo town did lease stuff to other labels. that joseph moore on mar-v-lus is an example (same dude as joe moore on tru-glo-town).

From what I've seen, it appears that Jesse Herring had more of his productions leased to outside labels than released by his own labels, or those for which he was working. So, no, I'm not surprised that The Gems' cuts were leased out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert