• Replies 26
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest gerrymcw

cheers for reply guys - just curious as most of these i've seen have the much bolder type set - in fact same applies for most capitol issues i've got/seen

Social source share

cheers for reply guys - just curious as most of these i've seen have the much bolder type set - in fact same applies for most capitol issues i've got/seen

I would've commented a bit more, but am at work and can't actually see the picture you've inserted in your post. I do have 2 issues and a demo at home, and I'm pretty certain they typeface is a bit bolder/larger on one of them, but then I have been wrong before!! I will dig them out and take a look tonight if you've recieved no responses to your actual question by then!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

just general info in case you didnt know. this record reached no 29 on the pop charts in the usa so a few pressing plants were used hence the different typeface...it was reissued on capitol starline series in the early seventies all with the spoken monologue....the uk copy misses the spoken monologue and goes straight into the song

dave :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest gerrymcw

just general info in case you didnt know. this record reached no 29 on the pop charts in the usa so a few pressing plants were used hence the different typeface...it was reissued on capitol starline series in the early seventies all with the spoken monologue....the uk copy misses the spoken monologue and goes straight into the song

dave :hatsoff2:

cheers that makes sense - thanks again for replies.

Social source share

Hi all brill record but nobody's put the demo up yet so here it is. Lou won a 'Grammy' for this record as best R'n'B single in 1968 (its on his Wikapedia). Also what do you think of this other version I picked up from a seller in states its not even in Manship's book have a listen.

waggy

post-19290-0-81757000-1331904458_thumb.j

post-19290-0-70032000-1331903491_thumb.j

Social source share

Hi all brill record but nobody's put the demo up yet so here it is. Lou won a 'Grammy' for this record as best R'n'B single in 1968 (its on his Wikapedia). Also what do you think of this other version I picked up from a seller in states its not even in Manship's book have a listen.

waggy

post-19290-0-81757000-1331904458_thumb.j

post-19290-0-70032000-1331903491_thumb.j

Lou rawls is just cool as F*ck.

but I have say I really like that Clara Ward -

is it on Verve, hard to find ,, what ??

ATB

Tony

Social source share

waggy

Am not saying Clara Ward is not good but it just doesn't do anything for me. Sorry.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Found a spare of the rather nice looking original Japanese Capitol test pressing today...pretty snazzy pic sleeve as well!

(On my sales pages at £40.)

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-34542800-1335795553_thumb.jp

Social source share

Found a spare of the rather nice looking original Japanese Capitol test pressing today...pretty snazzy pic sleeve as well!

(On my sales pages at £40.)

:thumbup:

Ooh!That looks nice!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Be interested in your DJ copy of Verdell Smith, I've got loads of purple issues, and lots of swaps if your interested?

mal

Might be Flynny you want to talk to Mal.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Found a few aussie releases of this when I was there....one shop ownwer told me the other side was a hit down there - tar and cement i think its called. Had two purple issues and a dj stamped copy which i kept....spoken intro also!

Have we got cross threads here ? "Tar and Cement" is the flip to "Piece of the sky" by Verdelle Smith - still to be found on Aussie purple Capitol in record shops down here. The Lou Rawls "Dead end street" on Aussie purple Capitol has dried up a bit. It's flip is the same as on the US release.

Social source share

Have we got cross threads here ? "Tar and Cement" is the flip to "Piece of the sky" by Verdelle Smith - still to be found on Aussie purple Capitol in record shops down here. The Lou Rawls "Dead end street" on Aussie purple Capitol has dried up a bit. It's flip is the same as on the US release.

You're right Denny .... realised as soon as I'd posted it but hadn't edited it yet! Found a few of both these when I was down your way...hope your well mate!

Social source share

Guest Raresoulie

anyone know deal with this variation on typeset [media=]

is it a boot, legit re-issue or just variation of orginal 60s issue

cheers

That's my very own copy, 100% original as far as I know.

Fantastic tune from the very first time I ever heard it.

Cheers, Heath

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert