Jamaica 50Th Independance

TOAD

I can't tell you how difficult this is, last week someone ask me if I'd do them every reggae / ska track I'd got and when I compiled everything, there were 47 discs (mainly dvd containing mp3's) and between 10 and 15000 tracks, thats just me and I only have a fraction, how did they manage to record so much stuff on that little island?

I'll do a little list later if I can Tim

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

just wondering whats your fave jamaican records of all time!

Tribesman Rockers - Joe Gibbs and the Professionals. The rest of the album (African Dub Almighty Chaper 3) is pretty good too. Angolian Chant anyone?

Very fond of Carlton and the Shoes - Love me forever - from years before as well (courtesy of Steve P).

Maybe pop but I love Pickney Gal (Desmond Dekker) and Long Shot (Pioneers - apparently the original riddim was the first reggae track, but who knows?).

Social source share

Tribesman Rockers - Joe Gibbs and the Professionals. The rest of the album (African Dub Almighty Chaper 3) is pretty good too. Angolian Chant anyone?

Very fond of Carlton and the Shoes - Love me forever - from years before as well (courtesy of Steve P).

Maybe pop but I love Pickney Gal (Desmond Dekker) and Long Shot (Pioneers - apparently the original riddim was the first reggae track, but who knows?).

Theres a few tracks supposedly holding that honour, Nanny Goat, Say What You Say etc, I think Nanny Goat predates the original Long Shot. I really like that first version of Long Shot.

Social source share

A few more absolutely 5 star tunes

Alton Ellis - Rock steady - treasure isle

The Heptones - A change is gonna come - Studio One (Not the Sam Cooke song)

Winston Francis - The break - Duke

Flowers & Alvin - Your cheating heart - Coxsone

Phyllis Dillon - Perfidia - Treasure Isle

not forgetting really popular but brilliant stuff like Guns of Navarone, Al Capone, Double Barrel...oh man I could do a top 500 of this stuff easily

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Tribesman Rockers - Joe Gibbs and the Professionals. The rest of the album (African Dub Almighty Chaper 3) is pretty good too. Angolian Chant anyone? Thats reminded me to buy vol 1 & 2 :)

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

A few more absolutely 5 star tunes

Alton Ellis - Rock steady - treasure isle

The Heptones - A change is gonna come - Studio One (Not the Sam Cooke song)

Winston Francis - The break - Duke

Flowers & Alvin - Your cheating heart - Coxsone

Phyllis Dillon - Perfidia - Treasure Isle

not forgetting really popular but brilliant stuff like Guns of Navarone, Al Capone, Double Barrel...oh man I could do a top 500 of this stuff easily

Do the 500 Pete! Still love Guns of Navarone - it's one of the default options on the commute when I've got nothing else in my head -still so is Swan Lake by The Cats :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'll have to think long and hard over this one Tim probably wednesday as I've got a lot of fire wood orders to do respect Timbo , Simon.

Social source share

Impossible to pick one fave track from any genre [imagine any half hip soul boy trying to pick 8 for 'desert island discs'] but in the interest of team spirit these are the 45's of Jamaican origin piled by the downstairs record player in our house this week:

BIG WILLIE 'COLLEGE ROCK' [iRON SIDE]

TECHNIQUES 'BORN TO LOVE YOU' [bLANK]

LARRY MARSHALL 'I'VE GOT TO MAKE IT' [sTUDIO ONE] [

ANTHONY ELLIS 'I AM THE RULER' [sTUDIO ONE]

BIG YOUTH + JUNIOR BYLES 'SUGAR SUGAR' [TANASHA]

TONY BRAVETT 'I'M SO ASHAMED' [bULLET UK]

DENNIS WALKS 'DRIFTER' [MOODISC]

TECHNIQUES 'IT'S YOU I LOVE' [DUKE REID]

Makes a change from listening to soul records...though few records are as soulful as the Tony Bravett.

cheers

dean

Edited by dean jj
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

TECHNIQUES 'IT'S YOU I LOVE' [DUKE REID]

THis is one my favourites also and I think one of the most beautiful records ever made HOWEVER the original Jamaican single and the one that came out on UK Treasure Isle is just 'great', the version on the Techniques Greatest Hits cd and a couple of other Treasure Isle reissues, which don't have that guitar to the front, is 'unbelievable'. The difference is like chalk and cheese.

The second version is below. Beautiful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

THis is one my favourites also and I think one of the most beautiful records ever made HOWEVER the original Jamaican single and the one that came out on UK Treasure Isle is just 'great', the version on the Techniques Greatest Hits cd and a couple of other Treasure Isle reissues, which don't have that guitar to the front, is 'unbelievable'. The difference is like chalk and cheese.

The second version is below. Beautiful.

Pete's been picking many of my favourites for me...

...but I can't agree that the 'other' version of 'It's You I Love' is better than the one on UK Treasure Isle in any way shape or form. Ditto the alternate take of 'Travelling Man' that has been issued a few times on later pressings of the record. The vocals on both are just so lacklustre compared to those on the UK TI 45 To me they almost sound ike a rehearsal that wwas preserved for posterity and issued later by accident.

For years it was Bob Andy's 'You Don't Know' (the orginal Harry J recording, as opposed to Bob's revoicing of the original rhythm in London in 1972) - but I honestly couldn't say what my all time favourite Ja 45 would be anymore, other than that it would either be something from the rocksteady era, or from the 1970-72 period that was is and always will be the golden era of reggae (as opposed to rocksteady or ska...).

Let's go for 'Baby Love' by the Sensations (Treasure Isle - 1968) from the rocksteady era and Leroy Smart's 'God Helps The Man' (Jackpot - 1972) from the other one, and see how that sits with everybody.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Pete's been picking many of my favourites for me...

...but I can't agree that the 'other' version of 'It's You I Love' is better than the one on UK Treasure Isle in any way shape or form. Ditto the alternate take of 'Travelling Man' that has been issued a few times on later pressings of the record. The vocals on both are just so lacklustre compared to those on the UK TI 45 To me they almost sound ike a rehearsal that wwas preserved for posterity and issued later by accident.

Are we talking about the same record here, the UK TI one has a really intrusive electric guitar all over it - you mean you prefer that one?

Really?

Social source share

I can't tell you how difficult this is, last week someone ask me if I'd do them every reggae / ska track I'd got and when I compiled everything, there were 47 discs (mainly dvd containing mp3's) and between 10 and 15000 tracks, thats just me and I only have a fraction, how did they manage to record so much stuff on that little island?

I'll do a little list later if I can Tim

Dey chill... dey gat plenty time on dey're hands and da one ting dat meks em excited is da music. Na wher's me smoke :D

Edited by soulman
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Are we talking about the same record here, the UK TI one has a really intrusive electric guitar all over it - you mean you prefer that one?

Really?

...Really!

The vocals are much more assured on what I regard as the 'proper' version, and the 'Really Really Love You' chorus is much more memorable than the rather weak 'It's You It's You, It's You i Love' on the other take.

I hadn't ever noticed any extraneous guitar on it and I've been loving my UK copy since since I picked it up in a junkshop on a sunny saturday morning on Caledonian Road, along with my first copy of Alton Ellis' 'Can i Change My Mind', in the summer of 1972.

Social source share

...Really!

The vocals are much more assured on what I regard as the 'proper' version, and the 'Really Really Love You' chorus is much more memorable than the rather weak 'It's You It's You, It's You i Love' on the other take.

I hadn't ever noticed any extraneous guitar on it and I've been loving my UK copy since since I picked it up in a junkshop on a sunny saturday morning on Caledonian Road, along with my first copy of Alton Ellis' 'Can i Change My Mind', in the summer of 1972.

Tone the guitar is what ruins the track, for me anyway....if you can't hear the difference between this take below and the one I put up previously then there's something up! This Really Really Love You version is very poor in comparison with the other version. Different strokes etc... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFv78tge5M

Social source share

I think the guitar playing on that record is absolutely beautiful and a long way away from being intrusive.

As you say Pete: different strokes!

Maybe because I heard the second version first, it's perfect as it is without that guitar. I remember paying God knows how much for a UK copy, finding it had the guitar on it and I sold it within 2 weeks LOL got myself a carver cut of the other version.

Social source share

It's impossible to do a top 5 like this, I could do a top 20 just of Alton Ellis tracks, I think if I was going to make any top anything I'd have to do it as separate categories, reggae's been through quite a lot of changes in it's 50 year history.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone the guitar is what ruins the track, for me anyway....if you can't hear the difference between this take below and the one I put up previously then there's something up! This Really Really Love You version is very poor in comparison with the other version. Different strokes etc... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFv78tge5M

Cheers, mate, you've just proved my point for me! :thumbup:

The guitar work here is some of (I believe) Ernest Ranglin's most lyrical and melodic, and complements the exquisite singing magnificently.

For me, rocksteady doesn't get a whole lot better than what's heard here.

Social source share

Cheers, mate, you've just proved my point for me! :thumbup:

The guitar work here is some of (I believe) Ernest Ranglin's most lyrical and melodic, and complements the exquisite singing magnificently.

For me, rocksteady doesn't get a whole lot better than what's heard here.

Oh but it does! And I'll prove it after me dinners gone down LOL

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's a fantastic Jamaican record that really IS almost ruined by some totally unspeakable guitar work:

...sounds like the anonymous strummer is playing his axe with his toes. Fortunately he's not featured all through the track, just at the beginning, middle and end...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!