Recent auction ending prices

Simon T

Mr bicknell you say the scene is in the shite , which scene ? oldies clubs are busy ( stoke etc.. then you have lifeline niter on with at least 2 of the all time greatest dj's has residents playing as upfront as it gets and great guests ! the upfront scene is in the shite cos the moaning fuckers never show up ! it's there on a plate top venue top jocks and top music,f*** me what does it take to get folk in free blow jobs ??

MMMMM Blow jobs now there,s a thought

BLOW JOB TIMES

12-1= ROBBO

1-2= MICK H

2-3= CHALKY

3-4=ANDY DYSON

4-5 STAR ATTRACTION BUTCH BLOW

5-6= SOUL SAM

6-7 ==ANDY KILLICK

7-8-- ALL THE ABOVE GO HEAD TO HEAD

=======================

BACK ROOM BEAVER EATIN

12-8 IAN C

Social source share

• Replies 159
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

BLOW JOB TIMES

12-1= ROBBO

1-2= MICK H

2-3= CHALKY

3-4=ANDY DYSON

5-6= SOUL SAM

6-7 ==ANDY KILLICK

=======================

BACK ROOM BEAVER EATIN

12-8 IAN C

Fookin' 'ell Ian...tea all over the screen here PMSL :-)))

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

BLOW JOB TIMES

12-1= ROBBO

1-2= MICK H

2-3= CHALKY

3-4=ANDY DYSON

5-6= SOUL SAM

6-7 ==ANDY KILLICK

=======================

BACK ROOM BEAVER EATIN

12-8 IAN C

That's all very well Ian but does Sam remove his dentures first? just curious really ;o))

Social source share

Mr bicknell you say the scene is in the shite , which scene ? oldies clubs are busy ( stoke etc.. then you have lifeline niter on with at least 2 of the all time greatest dj's has residents playing as upfront as it gets and great guests ! the upfront scene is in the shite cos the moaning fuckers never show up ! it's there on a plate top venue top jocks and top music,f*** me what does it take to get folk in free blow jobs ??

Got to say I am enjoying the variety the scene has to offer.

I try and get to as many varying nights as possible, they mostly all have good points.

The oldies nights i.e Stoke is always a good night and people really love it, you just have to look at the faces to see that.

Lifeline is a brilient night one of my favorites, its really refreshing to hear something different played.

Marrs Bar another cracking night IMO across the board stuff and people are up for a good night.

Different strokes for different folks I know, but to me variety is the spice of life and the scene.

To me the shite on the scene is all this sneaky underhand stuff going on and I'm sure Mark would agree.

BTW I'm not interested in blow jobs so whats on offer for the girlies ;-)

Social source share

i pestered that small dj booth more than once asking what things were. It's my belief that this is the way forward and perhaps the split between those who crave different and underplayed tunes to those who are happy with the "Top 500" is widening.

Well said Brett, Pester them D.J's, cause if you don't, they tend to play safe. Also pester promoters to put on Imaginative D.J's. Promoters tend to put on D.J's who might bring a few through the door, and also like to put D.J's on who run other venues, so they can D.J at theirs.

Social source share

I know I shouldn't write this but hopefully it will be read how its ment not in anyway having a go at anyone, just putting a point accross about how I feel about so called Oldies....

The problem that comes up on here alot is the problem about over played oldies, and I read this everyday, I can understand where you are coming from, but I'm not as old as a lot of people on here, during the 80's I was a scooterist/mod for me then quality northern was "Love Machine " " Love on a mountain top" "Satisfaction Gaurented" There was better tracks but you get the idea..

Now I missed all the 70's overplayed stuff as I wasn't old enough..

I missed the 80's overplayed stuff because I was into another type of northern..... Love Machine etc ( My mate had that written on the panels of he's scooter did we take the pee out of him or what).

I missed the early 90's overplayed stuff as I was in to the rocking scene.

So i'm here now an average person who trys to go out every week. So when you say it's overplayed ... to me it's a new record, and there must be loads of people like myself.

Now I appreciate and respect peoples knowledge, and I enjoy coming on here, I have learnt some intresting bits and pieces about this and that, but I don't think the scenes Stale. I think it could be that, Some of you were lucky enough to hear some records first time round but people like me are having there time now.. After all people like me are as much the future of Northern Soul as the people who have been into it from the start, we make up the numbers at do's, our money is as good as everyone else's, we help build the atmosphere in venues..

I sometimes get embarresed when we are out and a record comes on and someone says....

"Oh god not this old piece of "ship" I wish I had a pound for everytime i've heard this record".

And i'll be thinking god this is excellent what did the dj say it was called..

So personaly I think yes there is aplace for so called Oldies, as I can't be the only one out there that dosn't know some of them.....OR AM I?

:-) (-:

Social source share

I missed the 80's overplayed stuff because I was into another type of northern..... Love Machine etc ( My mate had that written on the panels of he's scooter did we take the pee out of him or what).

The 80's was the best time for me , so much quality soul to be heard and that still hasn't been heard by all the scene returnees of the 90's etc.

Have to agree with Andy 100% that all these who moan and groan about wanting something different and not doing something about it when it's there for them. The Lifeline is the best and only upfront 60's newies/70's niter. Many new records played there already in it's short history, records that won't be heard any where else cause no one has the balls to let the DJ's loose and let them play what they want.

Where else would you see DJ's like Cliff Steele who is one of the most under-rated DJ's with a superb collection, Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H, Soul Sam...all given the remit to please themselves as long as it's different!!! and all under the same roof. The DJ's who are regulars look forward to the Lifeline because of the policy and put together some of the finest music to be heard on the soul scene and don't just go through the motions of playing big money indemanders.

I mentioned it about the lack of the faces you would expect to see at such a venue elsewhere, they don't show, it'as the week in week out people who go every week, my comments were said to be harsh!!! :-/

Same at the Wilton, the second best niter for me. Brilliant venue, top DJ's and collectors who are again told to play something different yet folk don't support it.

Same down south at the 100 Club, same people month after month except when there's a free record :-/

These venues need supporting alonside the upfront soul nites like the Union, Orwell (for the other side ;-) ) etc, the scene needs more of these kind of venues playing "new" sounds or it will be just like the rock and roll scene, it is now in some places and venues :-/

Social source share

...in fact I think Shrine as a label and most of it's musical product is THE most over-rated hype in northern history...
Totally aggree. As a wise man (Tim brown I think) omnce said, "Shrine = shite"

Just gotta say I totally disagree there are some great sounds on Shrine and Les Chansonettes "don't let him hurt you" is the best tune ever by a girly group.

IMVHO of course smile.gif

Social source share

Just gotta say I totally disagree there are some great sounds on Shrine and Les Chansonettes "don't let him hurt you" is the best tune ever by a girly group.

IMVHO of course smile.gif

Gotta agree with you firefly, some class soul on the label, Cautions, Cairos, Prophets, JD Bryant (another of my all time faves) etc etc.

Social source share

Even the few half decent tunes on the Shrine label do not stand up to some £10 records. I personally think Les Chansonettes is quite awful (then again I dislike pretty much all girl group sounds), makes my ears bleed almost. Even the half decent stuff have weak productions, the sound is "thin", and overall I just don't think the music is very good at all. There is not a single record on the label I would keep if I had found it cheap, I would sell it straight away and buy myself something I liked. The only tune I think is quite good is "This Time" and that is due to Ray's vocal performance more than anything else, but still don't think I'd keep the record. Tastes differ I guess...

Social source share

So i'm here now an average person who trys to go out every week. So when you say it's overplayed ...  to me it's a new record, and there must be loads of people like myself.

Now I appreciate and respect peoples knowledge, and I enjoy coming on here, I have learnt some intresting bits and pieces about this and that, but I don't think the scenes Stale. I think it could be that, Some of you were lucky enough to hear some records first time round but people like me are having there time now..  After all people like me are as much the future of Northern Soul as the people who have been into it from the start, we make up the numbers at do's, our money is as good as everyone else's, we help build the atmosphere in venues..

I sometimes get embarresed when we are out and a record comes on and someone says....

"Oh god not this old piece of "ship" I wish I had a pound for everytime i've heard this record".

And i'll be thinking god this is excellent what did the dj say it was called..

So personaly I think yes there is aplace for so called Oldies, as I can't be the only one out there that dosn't know some of them.....OR AM I?

Mischief you are not alone. I am back on the scene from the late seventies and still enjoy listening to the oldies but I have now started collecting. Using sites like Soul club and local venues I buy records that I think are dancers and cheap,I dont care whether they are oldies, newies or played out.

By the way its probably people like me, (40 somethings with some spare cash) who are paying the silly prices at the moment.

DW Mick 

:-) (-:

link

Social source share

" MISCHIEF " ME PERSONALLY THINKS EVERYBODY IS EQUAL ON THE SCENE ,FROM DANCERS TO TOP NAME JOCKS LIKE SEARLING ETC.. I'D SAY THERE IS KINDA PECKING ORDER THAT COMES WITH EXPERIENCE , RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY IT IS THE WAY IT IS BUT BELIEVE ME I ALWAYS REGARD THE PAYING CUSTOMER AS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT IN SOME WAYS COS THEY'RE PAYING TO HEAR WHAT MUSIC POLICY AND RESPECTIVE VENUE THEY CHOOSE TO ATTEND ! SO AS LONG AS YOU LOOK AT THE LINE UP AND MUSIC POLICY YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA GET .

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT FOR ALL THE GREAT UPFRONT STUFF KICKING AROUND FEW DO WHAT GEORGE BLACKWELL - CAN'T LOSE... ,ART FREEMAN - SLIPPIN AROUND AND MANY OTHERS OF THAT ERA DO ,COS LET'S FACE IT THEY ARE THE GREAT RECORDS ! ENJOY THEM FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN - I STILL DO....

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

f*** me what does it take to get folk in free blow jobs ??

link

If you take your false teeth out it'd get me in Andy. :D

I've read two or three things that I've found interesting on here today.

1/ someone saying it ("norman soul scene") has not been the same since Stafford, as it crossed boundaries and expanded people's perceptions of what "soul music" is.

2/ Some one else said it could never be the same as "back in the days" of the 70s/80s as there were new records to be discovered then, while now there are not.

3/ Several other people complain about that when a "new record" is played it clears the dance floor.

There seems a very easy answer to all three of these points. Look in the boxes of the funk collectors. If you want fresh soul records there are hundreds of them sat under your nose but the tag "funk" scares off all you old codgers who sport well groomed moustaches. You'll here fresh sounds, and if you are worried about floors being cleared by new records you may end up attracting "new people" to your night who don't "know what they like and like what they know" if you book (shock horror) "funk DJs" who have an understanding of what soul music is and could pull in young people who'll dance to records while the youthfully challenged stroke their chins.

If you hold Stafford in such high regard because it 'pushed boundaries' you need look no further than in the boxes of the top funk DJs who understand what soul music is and are not afraid to play stuff that has not been heard before, but again the label "funk" scares off most of the promoters who label their nights as "across the board" and run dance competitions with £20 first prize and the winner is judged on the size of their fancy dress flares and the number of sew on badges they can fit on their vest.

It is generally the same old people who go to all the events, and perhaps this is why they (norman soul nights) often feel stale. Inject new blood by booking DJs from the (shock horror) "funk scene" and you could see excitement levels rise again as there won't be the same old DJs playing to the same old people who want to dance to the same old records.

But it's also worth remembering that there are new "northern soul" records being turned up, and they are being played at the 100 club and Andy's thing up in Manchester. There are not 100s of them, but there are fresh things to dance to. So if you are afraid of embrassing the 'soul in the funk collections' I still don't think things are as bad as alot of the moaners make out.

Also, if the "norman soul" promoters don't fancy putting their neck on the line, don't worry about it, as there is always Deepfunk at Jo Jo's, Oslo Soul experience, Foot Prints in Canada, Searchin' in Japan, various nights in Barcelona, Gihon, Italy etc that have already 'expanded boundaries' to find fresh and exciting soul.

If you like soul, things aren't too bad.

And remember, there are already funk records being played on the northern scene, you just don't admit it to yourselfs.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

If I see Funk on a flyer, it generally ends up in the bin. Maybe I should be more receptive, but I still cant get myself to like the stuff. Its all that production, and bass line, and general messing about with the instruments.

I know you are going to disagree James, but I have honestly tried. I have visited Jo Jos and have honestly not enjoyed it at all.

Even tho I do like to hear new sounds, I cant go down the Funk road I'm afraid.

How was Canada?

Social source share

There seems a very easy answer to all three of these points. Look in the boxes of the funk collectors. If you want fresh soul records there are hundreds of them sat under your nose but the tag "funk" scares off all you old codgers who sport well groomed moustaches. You'll here fresh sounds, and if you are worried about floors being cleared by new records you may end up attracting "new people" to your night who don't "know what they like and like what they know" if you book (shock horror) "funk DJs" who have an understanding of what soul music is and could pull in young people who'll dance to records while the youthfully challenged stroke their chins.

If you hold Stafford in such high regard because it 'pushed boundaries' you need look no further than in the boxes of the top funk DJs who understand what soul music is and are not afraid to play stuff that has not been heard before, but again the label "funk" scares off most of the promoters who label their nights as "across the board" and run dance competitions with £20 first prize and the winner is judged on the size of their fancy dress flares and the number of sew on badges they can fit on their vest.

It is generally the same old people who go to all the events, and perhaps this is why they (norman soul nights) often feel stale. Inject new blood by booking DJs from the (shock horror) "funk scene" and you could see excitement levels rise again as there won't be the same old DJs playing to the same old people who want to dance to the same old records.

But it's also worth remembering that there are new "northern soul" records being turned up, and they are being played at the 100 club and Andy's thing up in Manchester. There are not 100s of them, but there are fresh things to dance to. So if you are afraid of embrassing the 'soul in the funk collections' I still don't think things are as bad as alot of the moaners make out.

Also, if the "norman soul" promoters don't fancy putting their neck on the line, don't worry about it, as there is always Deepfunk at Jo Jo's, Oslo Soul experience, Foot Prints in Canada, Searchin' in Japan, various nights in Barcelona, Gihon, Italy etc that have already 'expanded boundaries' to find fresh and exciting soul.

If you like soul, things aren't too bad.

And remember, there are already funk records being played on the northern scene, you just don't admit it to yourselfs.

link

The thing is how far can you go with the funk at a northern night before the boundaries are pushed too far? I've heard some of the funky stuff the top dj's you are referring to have, some have been played at Lifeline but in my opinion the ones that have been played are about as far as you can push boundaries in my opinion. Personally I wouldn't want to hear that kind of record for two hours let alone all night at a northern all-nighter, it's not what I go for.

There is plenty of 60's (and 70's before the crossover section have a go) out there yet to be played to the mainstream without going down the funk route.

Norman soulies as you call them (or whoever called them) don't want that type of sound and they would soon scare folk off, if they wanted that they would go to the venues you mention, I l know some do already but they are a bit more open minded than most.

And the Lifeline, Wilton & 100 club have proved that there are still "brand new" sounds out there yet to be played. There's plenty of life in the soul scene yet!

Social source share

If I see Funk on a flyer, it generally ends up in the bin. Maybe I should be more receptive, but I still cant get myself to like the stuff. Its all that production, and bass line, and general messing about with the instruments.

I know what your saying Mikey and can understand it. When the word "funk" is mentioned , it conjurs up "red indian rhythm basslines" and the like, but it is not ALL like that.

I have ventured into the funk and jazz scene entirely through collecting northern and have found a few choice choons, albeit in the sanity of my bedroom.

With the stigma of what funk conjurs up, I feel a bit annoyed that the reception I may get from playing such a choon might be a bit negative hence i don't play them out.

I guested at a rally a month back and was told by a punter that because I didn't play Bob Marley I am not a good DJ, pah!!.

Needless to say, he wasn't looking the direction of the dancefloor which was jumping!!!.

Didn't play the class stuff though as I would have got lynched from the "sick of soul music brigade", lol.

Haydn

post-650-1096307302_thumb.jpg

Social source share

link

For every new person attracted, you can bet ten would be put off....

Sounds a bit staid and old fashioned, but people on the Northern Scene like a night to do what it says on the tin.... so Funk wouldnt go down particularly well.

This entire posting smacks of people hitching there wagon onto Northern Soul because there "own" scene isn't big enough to provide DJ'ing spots for the number of "DJs".... wink.gif

I promoted Soul and Funk nights in the early 90s that suffered poor attendances... albeit in the North of England (Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield).

Apart from Keb Darges events at Madame JoJos there isn't the numbers required to class the Funk Scene as such.... really its little more than a slack handful of very vocal, and extremely anal collectors :o :rolleyes: :o ph34r.gif

I have very little to do with the Funk scene these days.... and listening to the Disco stuff that Keb plays, he doesnt have much to do with it either.... wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

WOOF!

Social source share

I'm afraid funk just ain't gonna work at northern niters, it's hard enough breaking northern newies !

i play -richard marks -tuska , everyday people - world full of people , not really the funk scene's typical " funk " but as funky as we can go and these get little reaction other than the odd bit of interest from " soul " collectors.

it would be nice to mix all styles and genres in one room but those days went years ago.James why not make a trip up to lifeline and judge for yourself if your style would fit the bill ? ....

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm afraid funk just ain't gonna work at northern niters, it's hard enough breaking northern newies !

i play -richard marks -tuska , everyday people - world full of people , not really the funk scene's typical " funk " but as funky as we can go and these get little reaction other than the odd bit of interest from " soul " collectors.

it would be nice to mix all styles and genres in one room but those days went years ago.James why not make a trip up to lifeline and judge for yourself if your style would fit the bill ? ....

link

Andy, it's funny you say Everyday People is not 'typical funk', because that sound is smack bang spot on what we are playing and tracking down at the moment. Have you heard "We're Gunna Make It" by New World? It's very similar to Everyday People, but with propa production and is a punchier dancer.

In the same way that the 'northern scene' already plays funk, the funk scene already plays soul. There's certainly middle ground that is missunderstood by both sides but is primed to be explored by the open minded.

Pickey's dog? Who are you? I hate chatting to people who hide behind false names. :angry: But I'll make an exception...

"people on the Northern Scene like a night to do what it says on the tin.... so Funk wouldnt go down particularly well."

There is already funk played at northern nights. :rolleyes:

"entire posting smacks of people hitching there wagon onto Northern Soul because there "own" scene isn't big enough to provide DJ'ing spots for the number of "DJs".... "

Nah, but unlike many folk we do like to be a bit more open minded about what we play and there's certainly nothing wrong with questioning the norm. If the funk scene can open it's mind to hear funk(y) in the soul scene, I'm sure people who REALLY want to hear new soul sounds can listen to some of the sounds the funk DJs are pushing, and many 'soulies' I know already do.

As you say yourself "listening to the Disco stuff that Keb plays, he doesnt have much to do with (funk) either". The "deepfunk" scene is not hip hop and broken beats, it's about soul music with punch and no boundaries.

Although I'm sure that because you "promoted Soul and Funk nights in the early 90s that suffered poor attendances" you'll already know all the new records the funk scene has turned up the past few years and you'll be able to back up your buffon like statement that dispite all of the crowded clubs, the 'deepfunk scene is "little more than a slack handful of very vocal, and extremely anal collectors". boxing.gif

And if you're not interested in this 'middle ground' being explored at 'norman soul' nights in the UK, it doesn't matter anyway, because the 100 club, Life Line, Oslo Soul, Foot Steps, Searching, Deepfunk, Motherfunk etc etc are pretty good excuses for quality forward looking soul nights. So IMO I don't think things are as bad as some people make out, and there seems to be a night to cater for most people's taste. And if you don't like what's on offer you can always promote your own night, even if it is easier and more fun to moan and cause trouble on message forums. ph34r.gif

Social source share

James you're quite right there is a middle ground - i used " everyday people " as a example because i know all the funk guys are chasing it and i wish this kind of record would be accepted by the masses cos it's very soulful with a funky tinge, but these kind of 45's will always be a purists taste.infact i sold a spare to soul sam cos he's probably the only major name guy who would play it out ( don't think he's used it yet ) and maybe get away with it.so i know where you're coming from, if everything goes to plan and the back room at sherridens is renovated then we'll certainly be playin stuff like that and we'll give you a go without a doubt.

Social source share

can someone please tell me what does funk dancing look like? i've only seen club scenes from blaxploitation films but i guess that's not what's going on now. is it demented? as the beats are sort of more sophisticated i just wonder how tricky it is. sorry if that seems like an odd question

ta

Social source share

I dont want to get involved in the politics side of funk bieng played because I dont really know too much about the subject but a great memory i have was at The Locarno All dayer in Birmingham in the mid/late 70s when one of the Djs in the northern room announced he was going to play a funk track and give it a listen. Everyone got on the full dancefloor sat down and slowly clapped while he played the track and then was greeted by cheering when he said "I think thats enough of that for the time bieng"

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James you're quite right there is a middle ground - i used " everyday people " as a example because i know all the funk guys are chasing it and i wish this kind of record would be accepted by the masses cos it's very soulful with a funky tinge, but these kind of 45's will always be a purists taste.infact i sold a spare to soul sam cos he's probably the only major name guy who would play it out  ( don't think he's used it yet ) and maybe get away with it.so i know where you're coming from, if everything goes to plan and the back room at sherridens is renovated then we'll certainly be playin stuff like that and we'll give you a go without a doubt.

link

I'm not sure stuff like everyday people is a 'purists taste'. Although I personally don't rate Everyday People as highly as stuff like Marshal Donavon Broomfield or the New World, that sound in general can move accross scenes and have mass appeal.

Other obvious examples are Curtis Mayfields "Move On Up" and Gil Scott Heron's "Bottle".

IMO there's stuff that I've heard on the soul scene that crosses over into funk sets and stuff on the funk scene that (should) cross over into soul sets. It already happens at a few 'deepfunk' nights in this country (the monthly soul special at Jo Jo's is worth checking out) and at some of the great nights outside of the UK, Oslo Soul being the prime example. But is this 'middle ground' fertile enough to generate sufficient interest to have a true 'accross the board' soul night in the UK that doesn't wear blinkers or limit it's boundaries that will attract serious, open minded, forward thinking and ethusiastic soul lovers? I'd like to think so...thumbup1.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

"Pickey's dog? Who are you? I hate chatting to people who hide behind false names."

Is your name really JTrouble? ph34r.gif

I would be interested in hearing what are these great saviour of the scene sounds that these alternative DJs would play. I used to collect funk in the early nineties but got very bored with it and whilst I still try to pick up the latest reissues :o from time to time I cannot see that many of them would work at a rare soul/northern night. However, it would appear that funk may now mean something different as apparently Ree Flores is a funk record (according to you), which is news to me. Is northern soul the new funk or is funk the new northern soul? I'm confused.

There's still plenty of new and underexposed sounds to play, the trouble is, there aren't enough people who want to listen to them. Getting a bunch of skateboard riding ne'er do wells from Hoxton along in their cargo pants isn't going to solve anything. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

can someone please tell me what does funk dancing look like? i've only seen club scenes from blaxploitation films but i guess that's not what's going on now. is it demented? as the beats are sort of more sophisticated i just wonder how tricky it is. sorry if that seems like an odd question

ta

link

There are four types of dancers. Drunk students, break dancers, jazz dancers and northen style dancers.

Dance scenes form blaxploitation? hahahahahahaha. Get yourself down to Jo Jo's, sweet heart.afro.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Q:"Is your name really JTrouble? wink.gif "

A:Yes, my name is James Trouble.

Q:"it would appear that funk may now mean something different as apparently Ree Flores is a funk record (according to you), which is news to me."

A:"Ree Flores is the best funk record I own" Butch sept 2004

"Ree Flores is the best funk record I don't own" Ian Wright Aug 2004

Q:"Is northern soul the new funk or is funk the new northern soul? I'm confused."

A:Can you tell me what "Northern Soul" is please, I'm confused.

Q:There's still plenty of new and underexposed sounds to play, the trouble is, there aren't enough people who want to listen to them. Getting a bunch of skateboard riding ne'er do wells from Hoxton along in their cargo pants isn't going to solve anything. :rolleyes:

A:Solve what?

I don't personally like skate boards, but I've seen some kids do some pretty cool tricks.

What are cargo pants?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

A:Yes, my name is James Trouble.

Funny, I was told that the T stood for something else.

Err, so if Butch says its a funk record its a funk record? f*** me, hadn't realised that. I hope he doesn't tell you that the moon is made out of blue cheese. Who is Ian Wright?

Clearly. There's plenty of websites and books where you can find out the various theories and explanations as to what constitutes northern soul.

Err, didn't this start with your somewhat inane suggestion that the scene needed some new DJs from the funk scene to revitalise it? I would have thought that "solve" refers to your perception that there was something that requires resolution which makes this a good idea/necessary, or were you just suggesting your mates get loads of sets for no good reason?

Q: What are cargo pants?

Its the US for combat trousers, I believe. Sadly the trendy fuckers call them that as far as I know, but I stand to be corrected.

Q: Anyhow James, do you always answer questions with questions?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"A:Yes, my name is James Trouble.

Funny, I was told that the T stood for something else."

Like what? Does the S stand for something else in your name? :rolleyes:

Err, so if Butch says its a funk record its a funk record? f*** me, hadn't realised that. I hope he doesn't tell you that the moon is made out of blue cheese. Who is Ian Wright?

Erm, you challenged me that it was only I who said Ree Flores is a funk record. So I said that the worlds top soul DJ calls it a funk record, and Ian Wright, the worlds top funk DJ with the largest funk collection on the planet calls it a funk record. So I'm in pretty good company with my opinion.

Clearly. There's plenty of websites and books where you can find out the various theories and explanations as to what constitutes northern soul.

I've read a bit, and it seems funk records are already played.

Err, didn't this start with your somewhat inane suggestion that the scene needed some new DJs from the funk scene to revitalise it? I would have thought that "solve" refers to your perception that there was something that requires resolution which makes this a good idea/necessary, or were you just suggesting your mates get loads of sets for no good reason?

No one's said the 'scene' needs anything, and I don't see any problem challenging the norm. Please don't twist what I have said.headbonk.gif

Q: Anyhow James, do you always answer questions with questions?

Obviously, no. As in my last reply only half my answers had questions in them. So your question is a bit stupid.

Social source share

The question to me is, if the funk scene is so very good, then why are several high profile members of the same scene going so very much into northern (and modern soul) in recent times? If it is so very good and superior in every way, why don't you stay there? The thing is that the vast majority of soul fans just don't like funk, or at least not certain types of funk, never have, and probably never will. I have listened to many funk compilations (including the deep funk ones) coming out at one time or the other over the last 8 years or so and most of it is just a pile of complete rubbish, especially most of the instrumentals. I personally like a lot of funky soul, some of it too funky for the northern scene I think, and I even like some straight funk, instrumentals included, but of the stuff I have heard only a tiny minority is any good IMO. Then again, if I was to judge northern soul by CD's coming out I'd have to dismiss much of it as utter crap too. Maybe I have not dug deep enough to find the good funk that might be out there, but there is just no time, soul is what I like and there is not enough time for that alone as it is, and if I did find time for other kinds of music funk would be pretty low on my list of priorities, Reggae and other soulful stuff would probably come before funk I'm afraid. The question made above is justified, are some people frustrated because no one, or at least very few, really likes funk? Because there is no large scene to play it to? The funk scene not big enough as far as a "career" is concerned? Is this the reason some are moving into northern and rare soul territory? And is this the reason a lot of stuff played on the funk scene is not funk anymore? Being generally disrespectful to a scene one seems to know fairly little about whilst playing very well known northern oldies proclaiming them to be "monsters" of today, and complaining that no one on the northern scene likes music which is not any kind of northern by any stretch of the imagination is, well, rather odd. Would the funk scene suddenly accept a musical fare of straight northern soul? I think not, and then why on earth should the northern soul scene accept funk? Doesn't make sense does it? I am not anti-funk like most soul fans I know, and know of, are, but I do mind any attempts at being force fed music I just don't like, if I did like it and want to hear it I would search it out and I think most will agree with this.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I'm going to leave the name calling and bitching behind but to get back to my original questions:

Why is Ree Flores a funk record? What makes it one? I don't care who says it is or what company you claim to keep in holding an opinion, how come these records that weren't regarded as funk records not that long ago are now regarded as funk records? And what new records will the funk scene DJs provide?

As is often the case, I think that Christian has said it all.

Social source share

Unless someone cares to tell me othervise, I believe that

quite a few big 'northern' and 'modern' items were first played on the

deep-funk 'scene'. By people like Keb Darge, Ian Wright etc.etc.

Some that spring to mind are Hamilton Movement, Rokk, Rhythm

Machine, Clay Brown wink.gif I don't personally give a f**k what can be

defined as northern soul or not. I prefer soul, but like a lot a funk.

Some of my fave soul records do have elements of funk anyway.

But there is a place and time for everything. And trying to force

50+ year old northern folks to like funk does not sound like a good

idea :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Christian wink.gif B

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

"I am not anti-funk like most soul fans I know, and know of, are, but I do mind any attempts at being force fed music I just don't like, if I did like it and want to hear it I would search it out and I think most will agree with this."

Very true, and I think if you read back my original post you would find although it was challenging I did say there are nights to cater for all tastes and if you want hear new stuff/old stuff/funky stuff/shite stuff/good stuff etc etc there are nights to fill your needs.

But if we all sat at home or at work twiddling our thumbs and not throwing ideas around life would be rather boring, don't you think?

"are some people frustrated because no one, or at least very few, really likes funk? Because there is no large scene to play it to? The funk scene not big enough as far as a "career" is concerned? Is this the reason some are moving into northern and rare soul territory?"

That's humourous. A "career" out of playing records at soul nights. lol. You're a funny man. I wouldn't think many 'funk' DJs would be tempted to do it anyway.

Being generally disrespectful to a scene one seems to know fairly little about whilst playing very well known northern oldies proclaiming them to be "monsters" of today, and complaining that no one on the northern scene likes music which is not any kind of northern

There's only one person being disrespectful here. cool.gif Who's complaining?

I think I might get back to work now, try not to let your false teeth fall out.confused.gif

Social source share

New World - "We're Gonna make it" is very similar to Patti Jo - "Ain't no love lost". Both sound like Curtis Mayfield productions, loads of bongos, very uptempo and both are funky and very soulful.

Jordi

link

...that's cos' they are both Curtis Mayfield productions. Well, Curtis at least wrote the New World cut. See what you mean about the similarities...in 'tune' at least. I'd have said each where miles apart in actual feel though...maybe just a tempo thing...is Patti Jo that up-tempo? Take a look at that pitch control, mate :rolleyes:

One thing I'd think we'd agree on : neither are Northern Soul records wink.gifwink.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

BTW I know of a Ree Flores for sale if anyone is interested I can put them in contact with the seller. He says its an extra £100 if its a rare funk record as well as a played out northern soul oldie. <_

Social source share

Why is Ree Flores a funk record?  What makes it one?

There are "broken" drum patterns all over the place, especially during the verses. That is the definition funk. If there's a broken drum pattern, it becomes funky. Play it next to Frank Wilson and then next to any random uptempo late 60s James Brown record and I can assure you that you'll find more resemblence to the latter.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Unless someone cares to tell me othervise, I believe that

quite a few big 'northern' and 'modern' items were first played on the

deep-funk 'scene'. By people like Keb Darge, Ian Wright etc.etc.

Some that spring to mind are Hamilton Movement, Rokk, Rhythm

Machine, Clay Brown  wink.gif I don't personally give a f**k what can be

defined as northern soul or not. I prefer soul, but like a lot a funk.

Some of my fave soul records do have elements of funk anyway.

But there is a place and time for everything. And trying to force

50+ year old northern folks to like funk does not sound like a good

idea  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Christian  wink.gif   B

link

Ian, Keb, Jason and myself all played Hamilton mOvement and Rokk to crowds of cargo pant, skate board riders well before any of the "Northern" DJs jumped on the boat. Keb and Jason played the Rhytm Machine before it took off on the modern scene recently. wink.gif

And ChristianB is right, no 50+ year old northerners can be told to like anything they don't want to be.

BTW the New World is a Curtis Mayfield record. Such a shame it's so rare. wink.gif

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

...that's cos' they are both Curtis Mayfield productions. Well, Curtis at least wrote the New World cut. See what you mean about the similarities...in 'tune' at least. I'd have said each where miles apart in actual feel though...maybe just a tempo thing...is Patti Jo that up-tempo? Take a look at that pitch control, mate  :rolleyes:  

One thing I'd think we'd agree on : neither are Northern Soul records  wink.gif   wink.gif

link

Yep Patti is Curtis doings aswell, Curtis also recorded both "make me belive in you" & "ain't no love lost" but Patti's are better, i thought that was impossible when talking about Curtis :o but Patti's versions are better imo.

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its good to have a bit of debate about the direction of the scene. Its good (sometimes) IMHO that different styles are tried, tho I cant think of one even half decent latin tune. (sits back and waits for explosion).

Just one thing tho james, we dont have to start wearing shirts like yours do we??

heh heh.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

BTW I know of a Ree Flores for sale if anyone is interested I can put them in contact with the seller.  He says its an extra £100 if its a rare funk record as well as a played out northern soul oldie. <_<

link

I could do with a spare, can you send me the details to jamestrouble@hotmail.com

Thanks

JT

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Its good to have a bit of debate about the direction of the scene. Its good (sometimes) IMHO that different styles are tried, tho I cant think of one even half decent latin tune. (sits back and waits for explosion).

Just one thing tho james, we dont have to start wearing shirts like yours do we??

heh heh.

link

I think that would kill any scene off.blushing.gif

Social source share

(...) tho I cant think of one even half decent latin tune. (sits back and waits for explosion).

How about that Stafford biggie "Use it before you loose it" wink.gif

Bobby something on Fania (or something) :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert