Up & Coming Dj's. But Who Should Move Over For Them?

Cunnie

For 2 years at sheridans we gave 3 spots at every allniter to up and comeing djs in the front room,and in all that time only 2 or 3 impressed enough to be booked for the main room.Now we are at middleton and the main room lineup is second to none,our numbers through the door are growing with every allniter but with the exception of 1 or 2 the djs are of the more mature persuasion.Theres no point trying to bullshit about up and comeing djs,most of whom play to 30 or 40 people in clubs with the same band of back slappers telling each other how good they are.If a young dj is good enough he or she will get there in the end,but it is not going to happen over nite imho obviously.And before the usual bleaters start with ,well how do we get a chance then,we still have a smaller room running at middleton that gives up young and some not so young new djs a chance to impress.

Well put Andy. Everybody has to start somewhere. But you do realise that you are responsible for Nige,s shirts been found on display all over the country

Steve

Edited by winsford soul
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well put Andy. Everybody has to start somewhere. But you do realise that you are responsible for Nige,s shirts been found on display all over the country

Steve

Ha Ha just cus a wore a loadish shirt once or twice everybody has to pick on me ph34r.gif

HB :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

"Last of the summer wine" has just been on the telly (a firm favorite of Yorkshire DJs)----watch that and read this thread------Nora Batty as a DJ groupie ?? Old DJs never die they just get stuck in the run out groove---Bless em all ph34r.gif

Is that so? I'd just finished in't pit, so missed it. :thumbsup:

Jamie Pit Prop.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

You have to have good promoters who can scout for new jocks or bring the good ones back ( Northern Scene Wise ) .maybe Dave Thorley should try his hand again . For the thread , anyone whose got a buspass should retire ph34r.gif:lol:

Simon

If people retire or are retire by the likes of you Simon, then I'm afraid the quality of Music will go down. What make you think that because a DJ is retired by some silly age restriction,they are going to stop collecting, you will just find that some of the Rarer tunes just disappear from the scene. Some quality tunes don't get played now because DJ's don't have access to these great tunes. Surely a DJ is booked by what he has in his box, Sam may have had his bus pass years ago, but this guy is still out in front of most DJ's with the quality of sounds he plays. BOLLOCKS TO ANY AGE RESTRICTIONS IT'S A CRIME TO SOCIETY WHATEVER IT IS APPLIED TO. :thumbsup:
Social source share

this is the oldies versus newies debate all over again :unsure:

perhaps all promotors of a certain age should retire as well and there would be a lot less choice for people.

just think the 100 club would finish over night if the over 45's rule came into effect. If you don't like old DJ's arrange your own venues and DJ's and don't go and listen to the 'oldies' and moan and vice versa.

The 100 club has been going for years and there has been all different age groups there enjoying the music. Irish Greg was an original younger DJ in his 20's when he was a regular there and filled the floor when he was on.

How would you prove a DJ was too old anyway ask for their birth certificate before you booked them!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

So the up & coming DJ thread has had over 250 posts & over 7000 views so here's the dilemma.

Before we know it there will be more DJ's than punters :thumbsup:

Saw a guy do a spot recently (not who i originally mentioned) & he spent the full hour rooted to the spot with his arms folded & it was clear he couldn't be bothered & it was the longest hour i have ever witnessed.

Not going to name him for the simple reason that luckily i've forgot his name.

Remember this is just a bit of fun so no personal attacks please.

Hi Cunnie ,read all the replies to your post...........I WILL STEP DOWN.....(just keeping your thread going) when I know ,I have no more ears for whats new to me and cannot get them.I do enjoy playing out from my collection but only accept bookings from venues I believe fellow soulies will not boo me off......I have listed some of my sets on here recently...Judge my plays ...not me for owning them.....ATB Stevie
Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Hi Cunnie ,read all the replies to your post...........I WILL STEP DOWN.....(just keeping your thread going) when I know ,I have no more ears for whats new to me and cannot get them.I do enjoy playing out from my collection but only accept bookings from venues I believe fellow soulies will not boo me off......I have listed some of my sets on here recently...Judge my plays ...not me for owning them.....ATB Stevie

STEVIE...HELP IS AT HAND..I'M OPENING A DAY-CENTRE FOR GERIATRIC DJs...AND AS YOUR ALREADY BOOKED IN...I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY 'OUR PRIME CONCERN IS TO LOOK AFTER YOU IN YOUR DOTAGE' WE ARE NOT A MONEY-MAKING ORGANISATION....BUT WE WILL HAVE TO SELL YOUR HOUSE .FAMILY AND COLLECTION TO PAY FOR YOUR UPKEEP.............AS SHERRY WENT UP IN THE BUDGET !!!!'

Social source share

I don't agree with anyone being given a spot(or someone else's being taken) because of their age. I'm only 24 myself, and have to agree with the previous posts about younger DJ's. Most of them are really chasing "oldies" and "classics", as these are the first things they've heard usually, and they get hyped on the records only because of their "history". It really does take time for your tastes and ear to evolve, as I know myself because I was guilty of this early on, as well.

Also, the one thing that really drew me in the soul scene was seeing others in their "latter years" still very much into the music. This was proof to me this was a lasting thing, not just a phase or passing interest. I don't want be getting pushed out later on, just because I'm considered too old!

The real question isn't down to just new DJ's, it's getting people in general to stay interested! We're all very passionate about soul music, as you can see everyday here on Soul Source. It just seems we come up short when we try to convey that same feeling to others not on the scene. I'm not sure what it takes, as it just seems to find you, more so than you finding it.......

-Mike

Social source share

So the up & coming DJ thread has had over 250 posts & over 7000 views so here's the dilemma.

Before we know it there will be more DJ's than punters :yes:

Saw a guy do a spot recently (not who i originally mentioned) & he spent the full hour rooted to the spot with his arms folded & it was clear he couldn't be bothered & it was the longest hour i have ever witnessed.

Not going to name him for the simple reason that luckily i've forgot his name.

Remember this is just a bit of fun so no personal attacks please.

=============

Having read through the thread, the feeling I get is that no established DJ's are going to step aside because the younger ones coming through aren't playing anything different, so it's a stalemate then??

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

I don't agree with anyone being given a spot(or someone else's being taken) because of their age. I'm only 24 myself, and have to agree with the previous posts about younger DJ's. Most of them are really chasing "oldies" and "classics", as these are the first things they've heard usually, and they get hyped on the records only because of their "history". It really does take time for your tastes and ear to evolve, as I know myself because I was guilty of this early on, as well.

Also, the one thing that really drew me in the soul scene was seeing others in their "latter years" still very much into the music. This was proof to me this was a lasting thing, not just a phase or passing interest. I don't want be getting pushed out later on, just because I'm considered too old!

The real question isn't down to just new DJ's, it's getting people in general to stay interested! We're all very passionate about soul music, as you can see everyday here on Soul Source. It just seems we come up short when we try to convey that same feeling to others not on the scene. I'm not sure what it takes, as it just seems to find you, more so than you finding it.......

-Mike

AS ANDY HAS ALREADY SAID...SPOT ON !

CHRIS M :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert